Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Oncoming truck, either he had his left blinker on coming up to an intersection going straight, or only had one faulty headlight partially working and going straight. Either way, I start to turn left only to find he's not turning. I was too far into the turn to stop, so I had to go for it, with him blasting through the intersection right behind me. I think I might have been in the wrong in this one, but fix your goddamn headlights people.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was walking in Indianapolis today and saw someone try to make a left turn on red, nearly getting himself tboned in the process, the car with the right of way having good enough brakes to skid to a stop a couple of feet short.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

It's five car lengths, not five prick-lengths damnit :argh:

...But five car lengths is shorter, I thought a longer distance was safer? :v:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

Oncoming truck, either he had his left blinker on coming up to an intersection going straight, or only had one faulty headlight partially working and going straight. Either way, I start to turn left only to find he's not turning. I was too far into the turn to stop, so I had to go for it, with him blasting through the intersection right behind me. I think I might have been in the wrong in this one, but fix your goddamn headlights people.

Never EVER trust turn signals. It's so common for people to not notice that their signal is on and just be running down the road for miles signaling. Or they might be signaling that they are going to turn at some random point in the next half a mile instead of the next intersection. It's also not at all uncommon for people to signal that they are going to turn in the opposite direction from where they are actually going to go.

e: and yes you would have been at fault there if there was a crash. Glad you avoided it but learn from that.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 16, 2014

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Uthor posted:

Was walking in Indianapolis today and saw someone try to make a left turn on red, nearly getting himself tboned in the process, the car with the right of way having good enough brakes to skid to a stop a couple of feet short.

Yeah, probably how mine looked to other people, but I'm not in Indianapolis. I'll admit, I was probably the rear end in a top hat in my story.

Galler posted:

Never EVER trust turn signals. It's so common for people to not notice that their signal is on and just be running down the road for miles signaling. Or they might be signaling that they are going to turn at some random point in the next half a mile instead of the next intersection. It's also not at all uncommon for people to signal that they are going to turn in the opposite direction from where they are actually going to go.

Lesson learned, the hard way.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
In the last week or so I have heard the phrase "Hold on a sec, Im driving right now." I work in an office taking reservations for a restaurant, and this phrase is after I ask for a credit card number. I am seriously waiting to listen in on a car crash as its happening.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I spent 10 hours on the road this weekend and remembered how much I hate driving when other people are around. Topper was on the way home when I was doing a hundred and five in a 100km/h zone when a white suv comes flying up behind me and parks himself so close to my arse I can't see his bumper. Of course I slow down to 80 and he decides to get close enough that I can no longer see his headlights. The next overtaking lane comes up in a few minutes and I notice he's got a novelty sign hanging in the rear window saying "Back off".

I then got to see him tailgating every single vehicle he caught up to while his wife was yelling at him from the passenger seat.

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
I was driving down a 40mph, 2 lanes in each direction highway that goes through the main shopping districts in the area when a soccer mom in a new CTS-V comes barreling down the road trying to do 60 and tailgating when she couldn't. Her driving philosophy seemed to be "gas means fast" and "I have be the fastest car on the road". I drive down this road enough to know which lanes to be in to avoid the turning lane traffic that spills onto the through lanes. She didn't, and would get stuck behind traffic while I pass her in the other lane, only to be passed by her shortly after as she moves over and gets up to 60, where she would go in the wrong lane at a light and get stuck behind turning traffic again. I started giving her a wave every time I passed her which seemed to engage her "must be faster" syndrome, so she tried to make it her mission to pass me, but she didn't and got stuck at a light that I got through. After the light I turn off onto a 1 lane road and get stuck in a line of 6-7 cars with a police car in the lead. Soccer mom must have saw where I turned and decided to teach me a lesson that only she can be the fastest car on the road. She comes barreling up behind me, doing at least 2x the speed limit, and starts passing me and all the cars in front of me. At some point mid-pass she realized the lead car was a cop and tried slamming on her brakes to slow down to a more reasonable passing speed, but it didn't matter because there were blue and white lights in her rear view mirror as soon as she completed her pass. The look on her face as I passed her slowly with a big grin on my face and waving was priceless. This makes me want to buy a dash cam.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Galler posted:

e: and yes you would have been at fault there if there was a crash. Glad you avoided it but learn from that.

A car I was in got T-boned about 8 years ago because the car that hit us didn't turn right even though its 'I'm turning right' signal was on.

I wasn't the driver so I don't know how it all turned out legally but the car that hit us had the right of way at that intersection.

Also I got a letter from an ambulance chaser several weeks later: "We has been informed that you was involved in an automobile accident."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ephphatha posted:

I spent 10 hours on the road this weekend and remembered how much I hate driving when other people are around. Topper was on the way home when I was doing a hundred and five in a 100km/h zone when a white suv comes flying up behind me and parks himself so close to my arse I can't see his bumper. Of course I slow down to 80 and he decides to get close enough that I can no longer see his headlights. The next overtaking lane comes up in a few minutes and I notice he's got a novelty sign hanging in the rear window saying "Back off".

I then got to see him tailgating every single vehicle he caught up to while his wife was yelling at him from the passenger seat.

This will probably work itself out eventually. You can't drive like that forever without getting in a wreck.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

0rganDonor posted:

If people let me in and don't want to play the which lane is faster game, I become their traffic buddy as I maintain a constant speed through traffic unless forced to stop. If people don't want to let me in I start swinging the trailer at my intended lane until I spook someone into letting me in.
Putting on a blinker in a big truck gets a 30-70 response of "flash lights to let you in" to "SPEED UP gently caress YOU TRUCK" Never fails. Attempting to pass gets the same results. Moving to the left to let traffic onto the highway means getting left out to dry as people pass on the right, but staying in the right lane means people passing only to brake check the big truck. gently caress you Paducah.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Galler posted:

My dad's view on trusting turn signals: "Want to bet your life on it?" I've seen enough chucklefucks on the road that I'm no longer willing to bet my life on it; if someone's close and is signaling a turn, I wait until he's entered the turn. gently caress other drivers.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

On my way home Thursday morning, this rear end in a top hat passed me while I was going 53 (a perfectly decent speed considering I had just been at a redlight), then decided to start pushing me onto the shoulder and almost into the rear end of a dark blue Pontiac G somethingorother.

To say I was pissed is the understatement of the year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brush off your hood, you bum.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

Brush off your hood, you bum.

Hey, that was frozen/glommed on poo poo! I wasn't gonna take my scraper to my hood!
:colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you'd brushed it off when it was fresh it wouldn't have frozen there. :v:

I have no idea what else is going on in that picture, it was the semi that almost ran you off?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

If you'd brushed it off when it was fresh it wouldn't have frozen there. :v:

I have no idea what else is going on in that picture, it was the semi that almost ran you off?

Yeah, took me that long to fumble my phone out of my cupholder. He was hauling rear end.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Was driving to work this morning on a 3 lane highway, speed limit 60. Doing my normal 68-70 in the left lane, there's a trail blazer ahead of me doing about 62 or so. Let off the gas, see if he's going to move over for me since the middle lane is clear but it looks like he's oblivious like many drivers around here so I get into the middle lane and pass. Right as I'm clearing him and signaling to move back into the left lane he decides to move into the middle lane. :wtc: people why do you drive like this?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

On my way home from the gym, I take the left turn at the X. Lately I've been seeing lots of cars in the left turn only lane just completely creep past the white line and stop where the O is. As you can see, this makes it very difficult for me to complete my turn and stay in my lane.

Friday, a car was so far in front of the line that it impeded me completely and I had to stop my car mid-turn. The driver was oblivious, too, until I laid on the horn and extended her a one-finger salute with my arm out the window. On her phone, of course, and with a "What did I do wrong?" expression on her face when I made it very clear she was in the way.

It makes me mad just thinking about it!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Midniter posted:

On my way home from the gym, I take the left turn at the X. Lately I've been seeing lots of cars in the left turn only lane just completely creep past the white line and stop where the O is. As you can see, this makes it very difficult for me to complete my turn and stay in my lane.

Friday, a car was so far in front of the line that it impeded me completely and I had to stop my car mid-turn. The driver was oblivious, too, until I laid on the horn and extended her a one-finger salute with my arm out the window. On her phone, of course, and with a "What did I do wrong?" expression on her face when I made it very clear she was in the way.

It makes me mad just thinking about it!

I know exactly what you mean. On my way home, I have to make a left turn at the X. People waiting to turn left out of that road are loving CONSTANTLY past the line sitting at the circle. I make it a point to get as close as I comfortably can when I make the turn. Solid eye contact really seals the deal.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I know exactly what you mean. On my way home, I have to make a left turn at the X. People waiting to turn left out of that road are loving CONSTANTLY past the line sitting at the circle. I make it a point to get as close as I comfortably can when I make the turn. Solid eye contact really seals the deal.

My favorite is when the stop line is drat close to the actual intersection, and people go right over and most of the time force people to move out of the lane. Good job, fuckwad.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
When the dumbass in front of me parks their car in the intersection I always leave a car length between me and the stop line so they can move their car back. Keeps me safe in case they decide to throw it in reverse, and it makes them look especially stupid when they're 150 foot in front of the car behind them.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

rscott posted:

Was driving to work this morning on a 3 lane highway, speed limit 60. Doing my normal 68-70 in the left lane, there's a trail blazer ahead of me doing about 62 or so. Let off the gas, see if he's going to move over for me since the middle lane is clear but it looks like he's oblivious like many drivers around here so I get into the middle lane and pass. Right as I'm clearing him and signaling to move back into the left lane he decides to move into the middle lane. :wtc: people why do you drive like this?

Since the middle lane was clear, he probably wanted to be in a lane with nobody directly in front of him. I assume he didn't see you coming because why would anyone use those reflective glass things that are in and around the car for some reason, but now that there's someone in front of him, he wants to be in a clear lane.

I do the same thing when someone comes into my lane in front of me, however safely they are doing it, if there's an open lane I'll move into it.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

There's also the complete opposite of this, when you actually stop some extra distance behind the line and some shithead has to cut the corner and get two inches from your car. I stopped back here just so you wouldn't do that.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
oops quote is not edit

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

subx posted:

There's also the complete opposite of this, when you actually stop some extra distance behind the line and some shithead has to cut the corner and get two inches from your car. I stopped back here just so you wouldn't do that.

Ooh, this really gets me when I am pulling up to a turn. I understand people cutting the corners a little more when there are no cars at the intersection, but I'm always amazed at how many people continue to do it when I'm driving right toward them. They'll easily go a foot or two into the end of the turn lane. And then they look over and stare at you as you approach like you're the rear end in a top hat who's pushing into their space on the road.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

revmoo posted:

When the dumbass in front of me parks their car in the intersection I always leave a car length between me and the stop line so they can move their car back. Keeps me safe in case they decide to throw it in reverse, and it makes them look especially stupid when they're 150 foot in front of the car behind them.

This actually almost happened to me some other day on my way to pick up someone from the train station. Some rattly as gently caress Dodge Caravan, rear fender a completely different color and missing its back window in lieu of saran wrap. Going easily 10 under the speed limit when I pull up behind them, but traffic is prohibiting me from passing. Alright, I guess. I have to make a left turn in two blocks anyway. The turn lane appears and I go into it and start passing them, since there's no cars in the turn lane. Immediately have to brake as I see them, completely without signal, start wandering over into the turn lane. I start to get fed up, since the light is green and they're still going really drat slow. Sure enough, the both of us miss the turn light, and even though they're completely behind the stop line, they throw their car into reverse and start going back. I barely had enough time to react, but thankfully don't get hit. As I leave the train station, I witness the idiot make a right turn from the center lane, which explicitly states "NO DOUBLE TURNS" :psyduck:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

subx posted:

I get that a lot, too. Admittedly, I'll cut the corner a bit as well, but only when there's nobody in the lane and and I can see far enough down to know that there won't be anyone in it.

(Sort of tangentially related)
It kind of reminds me of when I got hit in my old car. I was coming straight through a yellow light (multiple witnesses to the yellow) and there was a kid heading the opposite direction waiting to turn left. As I entered the intersection, I noticed that he was moving and thought to myself, "there's no way you're that stupid..." Turns out he was. He managed to hit me right behind the door, but ahead of my rear wheel.

Once we got moved out of traffic with the cop that showed up, I saw that he must have very recently turned 16 and now had to tell his parents that their very well equipped Trailblazer LTZ was going to need a new hood, fender, headlight, grill, and bumper. Insurance totalled mine, but I got a pretty good check.

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
I was driving a few cars behind a minivan that had their hazard lights on for miles. It was driving over the speed limit and changing lanes to pass cars and stuff. I'm not sure if they forgot to turn off their hazards or they intended to mean that they are a literal hazard to everyone around them :iiam:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

UGH had a lovely little incident just now. Near me there's a road undergoing widening from 2 to 3 lanes. Right by the I-4 intersection, there's a lane shift right, then back left onto the new lanes. The left shift is through an intersection, but fairly well signed. Well, I go under the bridge with this blue Mustang next to me, we shift right, then as we approach the intersection the Mustang starts drifting right. I was waiting for him to cut left but he never did. I slammed my brakes and cut to the left as soon as I was behind him, but I still smacked a curb; not that bad in retrospect, but it felt pretty hard since I was already in panic mode. Of course he didn't stop; after determining my wheel wasn't about to fall off, I followed after him. It was plain he hadn't just failed to notice me; after I hit curb he immediately got in the left lane, then sped off. When I got visual again, I paced him doing 60 in a 45. :mad:

Anyway, he eventually slowed down, I was able to get his tag and call it in to the local police. Just... I've eaten curb hits and potholes way worse than that before, but usually it's due to my own incompetence. In his (slight) defense the roads were wet, but it wasn't exactly raining hard, and this is Florida.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just saw a guy back out of his parking spot and reverse all the way across the aisle straight into the car parked on the other side. He was turned around to look out his rear window the entire time. It was like he was aware of his surroundings but had spontaneously forgotten that he was the person driving the car.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I just saw a guy back out of his parking spot and reverse all the way across the aisle straight into the car parked on the other side. He was turned around to look out his rear window the entire time. It was like he was aware of his surroundings but had spontaneously forgotten that he was the person driving the car.

That'll be Tyrone. He's done a rally driving course.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Haha. Reminds me of this one time in high school when we were all loving around in a Target parking lot. It was getting late so we all decided to go home, and we were in the rear of the parking lot, and my buddy just backs straight up into the only other car there that didn't belong to us. Literally the only other car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Not sure how to feel today. There's a lady who blazes around the city in her little Toyota Matrix doing lab supply deliveries in the area where I drive to go to work. She's almost hit me weekly for several years, and I've never seen her drive normally.

This isn't normal delivery-person craziness either: She takes corners in the middle of the road (driving down the centre line), changes multiple lanes at highway speed without signalling, drives way the gently caress too fast, blows reds and cuts me off when I have the right of way and she has the yield.

Today it was a little icy and she managed to get sandwiched between two half-ton Dodge Rams. And then an Altima and a Santa Fe rear ended the Ram that rear ended her.

She was fine, but sometimes karma does exist. When I left the responding police officer was writing her enough tickets to choke a dog.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Fucknag posted:

UGH had a lovely little incident just now. Near me there's a road undergoing widening from 2 to 3 lanes. Right by the I-4 intersection, there's a lane shift right, then back left onto the new lanes. The left shift is through an intersection, but fairly well signed. Well, I go under the bridge with this blue Mustang next to me, we shift right, then as we approach the intersection the Mustang starts drifting right. I was waiting for him to cut left but he never did. I slammed my brakes and cut to the left as soon as I was behind him, but I still smacked a curb; not that bad in retrospect, but it felt pretty hard since I was already in panic mode. Of course he didn't stop; after determining my wheel wasn't about to fall off, I followed after him. It was plain he hadn't just failed to notice me; after I hit curb he immediately got in the left lane, then sped off. When I got visual again, I paced him doing 60 in a 45. :mad:

Anyway, he eventually slowed down, I was able to get his tag and call it in to the local police. Just... I've eaten curb hits and potholes way worse than that before, but usually it's due to my own incompetence. In his (slight) defense the roads were wet, but it wasn't exactly raining hard, and this is Florida.

I've been curious about this kind of scenario and the results. Can you make a successful claim against someone's insurance because they ran you off the road into something? I actually had this happen to me once but I figured their insurance would laugh me off. Now I would just let them hit me to make sure to get covered.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ONE OF US, ONE OF US

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I just ordered the G1WH from eBay for $69 :mmmsmug:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Knobjockey posted:

That'll be Tyrone. He's done a rally driving course.

Ah, Tyrone. You silly fat bastard.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Ah, Tyrone. You silly fat bastard.

Hey, it was a funny angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hey, it was a funny angle.

You could land a jumbo loving jet in that.