Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

of all the failed Pokemon era fad shows to revive, is loving Beyblade seriously the new Yuigioh? Are anime battle tops actually popular now or is this just another case of Johnny Test where CN will keep and over-air the cheapest poo poo they can find?

No, I think anime tops are just all they have available. The CW has Yu-gi-oh and I think Nickelodeon and Hub have all the other toy shows, so CN has been forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel Toys R Us bargain bin for non-Pokemon properties to license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Tenkai Knights is a weird one where it's contracted out to Studio Bones and some foreign CGI studio, but as far as I can tell, only airs in English speaking countries.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think it's more that Beyblade is cheap. It's not the "new" anything. I remember that stuff being around the same time as Yugioh.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Not really a kids show, but this thread is as close as it gets: an absolutely garbage show called Mr Pickles. It's offensive, ugly, violent and unfunny – and it'll be on Adult Swim this fall.
Here's the :nws: pilot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDa9DVuwRDc

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

horriblePencilist posted:

Not really a kids show, but this thread is as close as it gets: an absolutely garbage show called Mr Pickles. It's offensive, ugly, violent and unfunny – and it'll be on Adult Swim this fall.

How about the Adult Swim thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3600141

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

It's like if Axe Cop was written by a 13 year-old boy instead of a 5 year-old boy.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

The premise is slightly clever, I guess: I'm actually surprised nobody's done Anti-Lassie before. The animation isn't great but I imagine I could get used to it.

But who'd want to? The characters are either terrible stereotypes or uncreative one-note jokes, and the script is incredibly bad, even by pilot standards. It might help if they hired a writer with a bit of talent or even the smallest understanding of what made Moral Orel work, since that's clearly what they're going for.

Has anything on Bad Seeds leaked out yet? I'm really interested to see what C.H. Greenblat's come up with.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Oops, I must have missed that.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Here's a 15% off an order coupon for Shout Factory: MM140251M7D4

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just saw the new tom and jerry trailer. It looks like a flash web cartoon, complete with stock repeated sound effects. Pretty terrible.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crabtree posted:

I love Tenkai Knights, its like they unfroze some Go-Bot level soulless toy advertisement and dumped a fresh coat of modern anime characteristics on before they placed it, along with Beyblade Whatever, for their current Saturday Morning bloc. However, as much as I'd love to derail into how CN has turned their Saturday Mornings into an animation Ghetto until Steven Universe or Teen Titans Go! comes on; of all the failed Pokemon era fad shows to revive, is loving Beyblade seriously the new Yuigioh? Are anime battle tops actually popular now or is this just another case of Johnny Test where CN will keep and over-air the cheapest poo poo they can find?

The rights to both Tenkai Knights and Beyblade are owned by Canadian companies. According to wikipedia Nelvana has the rights to Beyblade and Spin Master has the rights to Tenkai Knights. I guarantee it's the same situation as Johnny Test where they're airing it for tax breaks.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 27, 2014

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Magnus Condomus posted:

Just saw the new tom and jerry trailer. It looks like a flash web cartoon, complete with stock repeated sound effects. Pretty terrible.

It's incredible how indifferent I felt while watching that. Without Tom's cartoony yelps, watching them beat each other up is very, very odd. I can't see it being anything worthwhile though, what a shame.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
102 pages, 4 years of thread, and 0 mentions of The Ripping Friends.

Thanks to everyone who recommended Mystery Inc., it was a surprisingly fun little show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Darthemed posted:

102 pages, 4 years of thread, and 0 mentions of The Ripping Friends.

Thanks to everyone who recommended Mystery Inc., it was a surprisingly fun little show.

Wow, that's certainly a show I'd completely forgotten. I do remember liking it, though, so it's a good choice for fans of Kricfalusi's other stuff.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

poo poo. Wrong thread. Have too many tabs open. :( Apologies!

Though, I do want to add that I remember the Ripping Friends...and I always wondered how it made it on Kids WB...

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 30, 2014

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
It didn't, Ripping Friends was on Fox Box.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

don Jaime posted:

It didn't, Ripping Friends was on Fox Box.

Oh yeah.

Still, was surprised it made it up there.

I also didn't like it too much so that's probably another reason why I thought that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ripping Friends was awful and seeing it for the first time on Adult Swim reruns was my first real "the emperor has no clothes" moment re: JohnK and his weird little internet cult.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Netflix update for April: For now (as of this post), Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Chowder, and possibly other shows are no longer available.

Added: (according to Instantwatcher)

Adventure Time S2
Batman: The Brave and the Bold S3
Billy & Mandy S3
Codename: Kids Next Door S4, S5, S6
Courage the Cowardly Dog S3, S4
Green Lantern S1
MAD S2
Regular Show S2
Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated S2
Young Justice S1

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
That's a real shame about the "Cartoon Cartoons" leaving Netflix, but at least we get more superhero shows!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Quest For Glory II posted:

Netflix update for April: For now (as of this post), Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Chowder, and possibly other shows are no longer available.
Samurai Jack is currently airing on Toonami, believe it or not. (At 4 in the loving morning, 3 Central for me.)

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

For anyone who has not seen Mystery Inc, you have no excuse now. Go forth and watch.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Magnus Condomus posted:

For anyone who has not seen Mystery Inc, you have no excuse now. Go forth and watch.

I finally got to see the last 13ish episodes and oh my god what.

Best adaptation of EarthBound ever.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm about 10 episodes into Mystery Inc. Ummm... This is okay I guess? Why's this been touted so much? If I wasn't a fan of Scooby Doo growing up I'd have quit like 3 episodes in.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Austrian mook posted:

I'm about 10 episodes into Mystery Inc. Ummm... This is okay I guess? Why's this been touted so much? If I wasn't a fan of Scooby Doo growing up I'd have quit like 3 episodes in.

You're less than 1/5th of the way through. Pay attention to the myth clues and brace yourself.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just started season two and I just realized Mr.E is supposed to sound like mystery.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I finally got to see the last 13ish episodes and oh my god what.

Best adaptation of EarthBound ever.
Now this I gotta see.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Another 15% off coupon for Shout Factory: MM1402XNM7ER

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

You're less than 1/5th of the way through. Pay attention to the myth clues and brace yourself.

well, this just started getting awfully strange. I'm at ep. 14, the mystery solvers convention, what the gently caress? :psyduck:

E: Seriously what the gently caress am I watching

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 4, 2014

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Austrian mook posted:

well, this just started getting awfully strange. I'm at ep. 14, the mystery solvers convention, what the gently caress? :psyduck:

Oh my God, that is an AMAZING episode. My wife had no idea who the Funky Phantom was and my impression was lost on her.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

El Tortuga posted:

Oh my God, that is an AMAZING episode. My wife had no idea who the Funky Phantom was and my impression was lost on her.

Angel Dynamite is the best part.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite game to play with the CN line up is trying to remember the shows that got canceled or never rerun. Where are you, terrible batman blocky cgi show?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Acquire Currency! posted:

My favorite game to play with the CN line up is trying to remember the shows that got canceled or never rerun. Where are you, terrible batman blocky cgi show?

When I was a kid who thought that Cartoon Network could do no wrong it was reaqlly weird seeing Cartoon Network spend so long hyping up Mike, Lu & Og only to have the show be so completely forgettable and quietly vanish from their lineup forever once its run ended.

Also between the anachronistic art style and the way that they re-dubbed the character from having a synthesized voice to an actual voice actor I remember having no idea what the deal was with Whatever Happened to Robot Jones. According to wikipedia it was the last American show to be animated on traditional cels instead of computers, which is something I guess.

Sunday Pants doesn't even have a wikipedia page.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Episodes 12 and 13 are on the DVD that came out in February of this year.

Episodes 14, 15, 16, and 17 have recently came out in New Zealand. The last episode was shown March 22nd.

Basically, Cartoon Network gives no shits about the show or anything that's not Teen Titans GO! at this point (because merchandising, I guess).

So...yep. :v:

Episode 17 was written by Greg Weisman...I want to see it. :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Episode 17 was written by Greg Weisman...I want to see it. :(

His powers to cancel shows are becoming alarmingly stronger.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

His powers to cancel shows are becoming alarmingly stronger.

Naah. I don't think it's his fault. Spectacular Spider-Man was canceled because Sony chose the cinematic rights over the animated series ones. According to him, Marvel does kind of want to continue SSM, but Disney would never let that happen because they're rivals with Sony and Marvel would have to pay Sony for the rights to SSM.

As for Batman, it's just your typical CN cancelling what doesn't make them enough toy money, no matter how good, bad, or interesting the show might be. :v:

As for Young Justice, according to Paul Dini, CN canceled that because too many girls were watching the show and the toys weren't selling thanks to the horrible Green Lantern movie and the toys just being too expensive and horribly made.

...Actually, listing it out, maybe his power is he's a bad omen for cartoons.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Not sure if the Moxy show counts (Since it was just an anthology series) but there you go.

Despite the show running for like 7 years I don't think I saw one episode of it. But pretty much everything about it has completely been wiped from existence save for like two or three clips on youtube.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Naah. I don't think it's his fault. Spectacular Spider-Man was canceled because Sony chose the cinematic rights over the animated series ones. According to him, Marvel does kind of want to continue SSM, but Disney would never let that happen because they're rivals with Sony and Marvel would have to pay Sony for the rights to SSM.

As for Batman, it's just your typical CN cancelling what doesn't make them enough toy money, no matter how good, bad, or interesting the show might be. :v:

As for Young Justice, according to Paul Dini, CN canceled that because too many girls were watching the show and the toys weren't selling thanks to the horrible Green Lantern movie and the toys just being too expensive and horribly made.

...Actually, listing it out, maybe his power is he's a bad omen for cartoons.

Pretty sure the GL toys were the excuse for why GL:TAS got the can. Young Justice might've had a toy-based problem as well, but I thought it was mostly ratings problems. That's what happens when you take 5 month breaks between episodes and your second season moves at a glacial pace.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GL was toys plus the underperforming movie. Basically they couldn't get the toys into stores because the stores all had a ton of movie merch that nobody wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A big part of the problem was that the movie merch was loving terrible.

I've got these figures set up in my apartment 'cause they're loving awesome:

(I wish I had gotten the figures as they came out, getting the good ones for a decent price is impossible. Like $80+ for Saint Walker or Atrocitus and goddamn Larfleeze is in the $200+ range)

And then the Green Lantern movie figures:

The YJ figures also looked like hot garbage:

e: Tables