Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
So Danny Pudi directed an episode of 30 for 30, it's pretty sweet.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=untucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Illinois Smith posted:

So Danny Pudi directed an episode of 30 for 30, it's pretty sweet.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=untucked

Wait....what?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Scholtz posted:

Looks like the rap wasn't completely unscripted/freestyle :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDSF0pOSoo

Danny Pudi with a Dead Alewives shirt!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Occupation posted:

Wait....what?

Makes sense - he is a Marquette alum, after all.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tirranek posted:

Be some drat fine foreshadowing if all of these EVERY----s are building up to a finale with Gary Oldman. War is afoot (or something suitably small-scale for Greendale). All the departments must be mustered. Robert Patrick and Nathan Filion reprise their roles as the leaders of various departments, and at a moment requiring some serious force mustering, in walks Greendale's former Law professor with a rousing EVERYONE.

I don't know about you guys, but I've got a pretty strong feeling that won't be how it turns out.

I fully expect either Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman, Jean Reno, or some mix of those three to pop up this season with the number of times the EVERY----S has been dropped.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012
The finale will apparently be a two-parter, but there haven't really been any spoilers or press releases what they'll be about right?

Most of the season five trailer was composed of aird episodes and those that haven't aired (animated & D&D2) have at least been hyped by cast and crew.

Epic guest star showdown might not be the most realistic option, but as of now anything's possible...

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Scholtz posted:

Who cares? It was still awesome and Rash still nailed it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
VCR games were awful, but they were HOT poo poo for a few years. There's an especially bad STTNG one. It's so cheap they couldn't even use the transporter effect, they just... don't look at the dude beaming in. It's also shot on video, so it looks like poo poo compared to actual episodes.

Here, experience some bij:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9UkKBEfPkQ

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lord Of Texas posted:

Who cares? It was still awesome and Rash still nailed it.

That reminds of an interview, I think, for the season 3 Christmas episode. Somebody got the script and was wondering what Donald Glover's rap would sound like, and so Dan recorded a demo track of it which was by all accounts pretty fierce.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks for the VCR game chat guys, that was eye-opening.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

AlternateAccount posted:

VCR games were awful, but they were HOT poo poo for a few years. There's an especially bad STTNG one. It's so cheap they couldn't even use the transporter effect, they just... don't look at the dude beaming in. It's also shot on video, so it looks like poo poo compared to actual episodes.

Here, experience some bij:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9UkKBEfPkQ

My brothers and I still say "EXPERIENCE BIJ!" to each other. My older brother even got his sons to start doing it.

My friends and I also played this poo poo out of the Clue VCR game. We played it so much, we didn't even need to watch the video anymore. We had everything memorized.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Even though VCR games are a thing of the past, their spirit sorta lives on in games like Space Alert and Escape: The Curse of the Temple, which use a CD to prompt certain actions at obviously set times. No cheesy video productions, though.

Also that rap is still amazing after watching it like 10 times.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you want some really fascinating behind the scenes you should really catch this week'a harmontown, Dan reveals how the dean rap was written, how he almost killed Leonard, the whole intention behind the Dean's character, Spencer talks about his appearance on last week'a community, oh and Mitch Hurwitz does a commercial for stamps.com as Robin Williams.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yo LA bitches Paleyfest again

http://www.ticketmaster.com/PaleyFest-tickets/artist/1101253

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Occupation posted:

If you want some really fascinating behind the scenes you should really catch this week'a harmontown, Dan reveals how the dean rap was written, how he almost killed Leonard, the whole intention behind the Dean's character, Spencer talks about his appearance on last week'a community, oh and Mitch Hurwitz does a commercial for stamps.com as Robin Williams.

Is this separate from the Season 1 incident? Because if so, holy poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scholtz posted:

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Goddamnit I was wondering why there were no more Between The Takes for this season after episode 6. Fffffffffuck you NBC.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

Is this separate from the Season 1 incident? Because if so, holy poo poo.

No this is the season 1 incident, I had just never heard it before

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Occupation posted:

No this is the season 1 incident, I had just never heard it before

The podcast is really long; can you summarize that part?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Argue posted:

The podcast is really long; can you summarize that part?

Essentially when you cast for bit parts, you order them like one orders a pizza because bit parts are only needed because they either look a certain way or have a specific ability the showrunner needs

So Dan cast for Leonard by asking central casting to find "an old guy who can swim" for Physical Education

If you don't know Richard Erdman's credits he's like living cinematic history he's appeared with every major star of the past like 60 years

Anyways so Dan had no idea who that dude was and in Leonard's first scene he's treading water in the pool and responds to a winger zinger with "ooh, BUSTED!"

So Dan was watching coverage but came in after he went to the bathroom for the first couple of takes so he kept on ordering the scene reshot because Richard kept on delivering he line "ooh, BUSTED!" wrong

So they were doing take after take after take until joe Russo, the director was all "look, I think he got it on the first take while you were in the bathroom, and he's getting it wrong because he's a tired old man struggling with treading water and deliver his lines so he's inhaling too much water. At this point you're just drowning an old man" so Dan stopped asking for more tales and lo and behold Richard got it on his first take. Whoops

Also you should just listen to the whole hing it's a loving riot and maybe the funniest episode that's aired thus far.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I'm surprised in the VHS game chat no one mentioned Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FAuDYqaW58

That was more of a weird rail shooter than a board game, but I had this one as a kid. I had never watched the tv show, but I remember thinking this video was the coolest thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I'm surprised in the VHS game chat no one mentioned Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FAuDYqaW58

That was more of a weird rail shooter than a board game, but I had this one as a kid. I had never watched the tv show, but I remember thinking this video was the coolest thing.

Was this the one that had a spaceship that you were supposed to use during the video?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Occupation posted:

Essentially when you cast for bit parts, you order them like one orders a pizza because bit parts are only needed because they either look a certain way or have a specific ability the showrunner needs

So Dan cast for Leonard by asking central casting to find "an old guy who can swim" for Physical Education

If you don't know Richard Erdman's credits he's like living cinematic history he's appeared with every major star of the past like 60 years

Anyways so Dan had no idea who that dude was and in Leonard's first scene he's treading water in the pool and responds to a winger zinger with "ooh, BUSTED!"

So Dan was watching coverage but came in after he went to the bathroom for the first couple of takes so he kept on ordering the scene reshot because Richard kept on delivering he line "ooh, BUSTED!" wrong

So they were doing take after take after take until joe Russo, the director was all "look, I think he got it on the first take while you were in the bathroom, and he's getting it wrong because he's a tired old man struggling with treading water and deliver his lines so he's inhaling too much water. At this point you're just drowning an old man" so Dan stopped asking for more tales and lo and behold Richard got it on his first take. Whoops

Also you should just listen to the whole hing it's a loving riot and maybe the funniest episode that's aired thus far.
And the next appearance of Leonard on the set was him reacting to a zinger in the hallway with all sorts of different noises until Harmon went up to him and asked him to just do a take where he goes ooooooohhh again, followed by Erdman making a fart noise and ignoring him.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Hi thread, I've been introducing my younger brother to Community over the last couple months, and we just finished season three together. The plan was we would skip most of season 4 with the exception of of the good ones that this thread has mentioned, but my brother is completely in love with Troy and isn't ready to see him go in season five. To be honest, I'd like to see him (and Pierce) for a little bit longer too. My question is, how much of season four is just ho-hum compared to absolutely terrible? If we were to watch most of the season, are there any episodes we should avoid like the plague?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Technically none of it is avoid like the plague but a lot of it is just plain terrible instead of ho-hum. However it's not unwatchable. Please note I am a watcher of Scrubs S9, the entire thing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ladyboy pancake posted:

Hi thread, I've been introducing my younger brother to Community over the last couple months, and we just finished season three together. The plan was we would skip most of season 4 with the exception of of the good ones that this thread has mentioned, but my brother is completely in love with Troy and isn't ready to see him go in season five. To be honest, I'd like to see him (and Pierce) for a little bit longer too. My question is, how much of season four is just ho-hum compared to absolutely terrible? If we were to watch most of the season, are there any episodes we should avoid like the plague?

Some episodes are ok, most of the season is forgettable. If you really like the show it can't hurt to watch, but I think most people will agree it is easily the worst season.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah. None of them felt really BAD, just kind of lifeless and making disappointing choices.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Goddamnit I was wondering why there were no more Between The Takes for this season after episode 6. Fffffffffuck you NBC.

Just use a proxy like hidemyass or something.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
It's worth watching because it makes the highs of season five that much better. And really though, if you're a Community fan and you really love the show, then you have to admit that season four exists. Anything else is just being smug. If you're watching the entire series, then you might as well just watch it because it's still Community.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

El Tortuga posted:

It's worth watching because it makes the highs of season five that much better. And really though, if you're a Community fan and you really love the show, then you have to admit that season four exists. Anything else is just being smug. If you're watching the entire series, then you might as well just watch it because it's still Community.

You sound like an woman making excuses for why she stays with her abusive husband. Season 4 is terrible and there's no reason to ever watch it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Here's the first part of a long interview Sepinwall is doing with Dan Harmon.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
As someone who hated hated hated season 4 and has yet to start on season 5, how good has the new season been on a scale from 1 to the Schadenfreude joke?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Like season 3, the new season is hit and miss. Harmon thinks he's cleverer than he is, and it shows.

Still better than 4.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Mash posted:

As someone who hated hated hated season 4 and has yet to start on season 5, how good has the new season been on a scale from 1 to the Schadenfreude joke?

It's Community again. As to whether it's as great as your favourite Community, that's up to you, but it's definitely got that ineffable magical stuff that was missing last season.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

The Mash posted:

It's way better than season 4. Beyond that it of course depends on what you like about Community to begin with. I'd say its far more similar to season 3 than any of the other seasons, but without its worst moments.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

S4 is pretty rough, but there are a few great bits and the Jim Rash episode is Top 10 material.

People were (rightfully) pissed at the time because it didn't look like the show would ever return to normality, so it was easy to hate on the show. Now you can just look at it like a substitute teacher while Harmon was on vacation or something.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Or like a homeless person squatting in Dan Harmon's house and making GBS threads in his living room while he was away on vacation.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Mash posted:

Far better than season 4, a lot better than season 3, still not near season 2 quality, except the Dystopia-episode.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Irish Joe posted:

You sound like an woman making excuses for why she stays with her abusive husband. Season 4 is terrible and there's no reason to ever watch it.

Oh my God, you have to shut the gently caress up. You make the worst arguments I have ever seen.

But yes, season 5 is about as Community as Community gets. The character-heavy moments to gimmicks seems to about split 50/50, but don't quote me on that.

Sakarja posted:

Or like a homeless person squatting in Dan Harmon's house and making GBS threads in his living room while he was away on vacation.

That's far more tame than how Dan Harmon thought of it. I remember a beach is definitely involved.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Decius posted:

Far better than season 4, a lot better than season 3, still not near season 2 quality, except the Dystopia-episode.

What were the major episodes of Season 2 because other than the weird Chang emperor arc all of the episodes felt that they would've belonged somewhere in the past three seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ladyboy pancake posted:

Do you and your brother go on to have amazing adventures and do fulfilling activities together when not watching Community? If not, then just watch season 4, it's not such a huge deal, seriously.

• Locked thread