Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you haven't read Waid's Daredevil yet, dive into the bundle it's well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

PelvicNerve posted:

There's a Waid DD sale with each of the 28 first issues at .99 a pop. BUT there's also a complete bundle with all 37 issues of the volume for 30 bucks. Ended up getting the bundle.

That bundle is extremely worth it. 1-27 is the arc that everyone loved the absolute most, but 28-36 are still great comics worth owning. Even if you had already bought 1-6 from the big holiday Marvel Now sale, it's still probably worth getting the bundle, equivalent to getting the remaining 30 issues at $1 each. (Numbers seem off because there was a .1 issue in there and that "point-whatever" numbering is still ridiculous)

ALSO: Image Pi Day sale features Manhattan Projects. Manhattan Projects is one of my favorite comics. It may not be quite clear where it's going yet, but issue-by-issue it's amazing: funny, surprising, suspenseful, weird, with just the BEST art.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Yeah, MP is pretty awesome. I had already gotten the first 2 trades during a holiday sale, so I just bought the separate issues from 11 to 17. For some reason, the third trade is more expensive than the separate issues.

I also grabbed Ministry of Space, a short book I had forgotten about. The only things I remember are that it took its sweet time to release back then and I loved the art. Finally, I got that Kirby thing because Kirby but I have honestly no idea what is.

I'm bracing myself for the inevitable Captain America mega-sale we'll get leading to the movie. I hope they put up Brubaker's complete run as I have only read what they published as omnibuses. I'd probably buy the whole thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a Mike Allred series in there, Red Rocket 7. How's that?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Comixology's offering $5 off the following five collections until the end of the month when you use the code MARVEL5OFF:

I think I've heard good things about Days of Future past, but are any of the others worthwhile?

On a related note, it's saying that I'm ineligible for the offer. Is that something that just happens sometimes and should get resolved on it's own or should I contact them?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Comixology's offering $5 off the following five collections until the end of the month when you use the code MARVEL5OFF:

I think I've heard good things about Days of Future past, but are any of the others worthwhile?

On a related note, it's saying that I'm ineligible for the offer. Is that something that just happens sometimes and should get resolved on it's own or should I contact them?

They're all worth it for that price except Age of Ultron, which you won't find anyone defending on these boards.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

It's telling me:
"You're not eligible for the 'Get $5 off 5 bestselling Marvel collections!' promotion."

Why?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I've got the same issue and checked all over their social media stuff, but couldn't find anything, so :iiam:

I did ask them about it using the "Contact Us" form, so if I hear anything back from that, I'll let everyone know here in the thread.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Alright!

Randomly, I was reading my friend's Captain America 16.NOW and noticed that the digital code gives you issue #16 and the first collection containing the first 5 issues. That's pretty cool of Marvel, though kind of a waste for those who have been reading the book since the beginning.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Uthor posted:

Alright!

Randomly, I was reading my friend's Captain America 16.NOW and noticed that the digital code gives you issue #16 and the first collection containing the first 5 issues. That's pretty cool of Marvel, though kind of a waste for those who have been reading the book since the beginning.

They recently did that with Thor: God of Thunder #19.NOW. Marvel announced they were going to include those codes for a few comics but I haven't seen a list or anything about which series will include it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Marvel's doing digital comics right. Too bad they can't figure out how to code their app. Picked up Superior Vol 1 just because it's going to be something so awful people look back on with nostalgia some day like I do with Back in Black.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Big Animal Man sale. Grant Morrison and the new 52 one plus extras.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Morrison's Animal Man (re)bought. At least, that's less wallet damaging than The Invisibles or Doom Patrol will be when they eventually go on sale.

Fishylungs posted:

They recently did that with Thor: God of Thunder #19.NOW. Marvel announced they were going to include those codes for a few comics but I haven't seen a list or anything about which series will include it.

Yeah, I was a bit jelly when I bought the first of these and realized buying the issues directly from Comixology for the same price gave you jackshit.

Here's the list of .NOW issues that included the first trade. There are still 3 of them to go this week and next week :

· Avengers #24.NOW – On-Sale 12/24/13

· Savage Wolverine #14.NOW – On-Sale 1/08/14

· All-New X-Men #22.NOW – On-Sale 1/22/14

· Guardians of the Galaxy #11.NOW – On-Sale 1/29/14

· Captain America #16.NOW – On-Sale 02/05/14

· Thor: God of Thunder #19.NOW – On-Sale 02/12/14

· Nova #13.NOW – On-Sale 02/19/14

· Iron Man #23.NOW – On-Sale 03/19/14

· Uncanny X-Men #19.NOW – On-Sale 03/19/14

· Uncanny Avengers #18.NOW – On-Sale 3/26/14

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Also, a sale on Vol. 1s of JLA members; obligatory reminder about Wonder Woman and Aquaman. AND Shazam collected!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What's Action Comics like, I seem to recall liking the first issue but I don't remember reading more.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LordPants posted:

What's Action Comics like, I seem to recall liking the first issue but I don't remember reading more.

I liked Morrison's run a lot. It starts fairly grounded and ends bugnuts with all the time traveling multidimensional stuff you want from Morry, but there's a lot of heart. Especially in the backups and the zero issue.

After 18, there's the three issues of Diggle and Daniel. Meh. Then Lobdell till 24. Avoid.

25 on is Greg Pak and it's fuckin' great. Classic Superman type stuff. Beautiful art by Aaron Kruder. Good. poo poo.

e: Oh yeah, the sale. Vol 1 is totally worth $5.99.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 18, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Marvel's doing digital comics right. Too bad they can't figure out how to code their app. Picked up Superior Vol 1 just because it's going to be something so awful people look back on with nostalgia some day like I do with Back in Black.

Make sure you're using the main comixology app. There is no reason to use the marvel only one over it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Senor Candle posted:

Make sure you're using the main comixology app. There is no reason to use the marvel only one over it.
Oh, I love Comixology, I use it all the time. Their own Unlimited App is the messy one, and there's no way to get Marvel's entire library for that price on Comixology.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Oh, I love Comixology, I use it all the time. Their own Unlimited App is the messy one, and there's no way to get Marvel's entire library for that price on Comixology.

Oh yeah I agree Unlimited is a bit of a mess. It's a lot smoother now since that last update though.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

hadji murad posted:

Any of the post-Morrison/Pre-New 52 Animal Man books worth buying? How's Last Days of Animal Man?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

horsepeen posted:

Any of the post-Morrison/Pre-New 52 Animal Man books worth buying? How's Last Days of Animal Man?

Yep. Justice League Europe and the Secret Origins since it has a Morrison Animal Man section.
I'm gonna try out the four Forgotten Heroes Superman comics.

Haven't tried Last Days because nobody seems to like it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Senor Candle posted:

Oh yeah I agree Unlimited is a bit of a mess. It's a lot smoother now since that last update though.

Is there really no way they could strike some sort of deal with Comixology for that guided view. I mean, they're already in cahoots, I don't understand why it hasn't happened.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What is the huge appeal of guided view? Is it primarily for smaller screens? I only read on an iPad and every time I've used it (in any app) it cuts off bits of the frame, and also ruins the full page aesthetic for any comic that isn't a pretty strict and consistent panel layout. When I read comics part of the experience is seeing the full page and how the artist works the layout in to the story and art.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Asnorban posted:

What is the huge appeal of guided view? Is it primarily for smaller screens? I only read on an iPad and every time I've used it (in any app) it cuts off bits of the frame, and also ruins the full page aesthetic for any comic that isn't a pretty strict and consistent panel layout. When I read comics part of the experience is seeing the full page and how the artist works the layout in to the story and art.

I gather that it's good for smaller screens like on phones. I hate it too, though.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

Is there really no way they could strike some sort of deal with Comixology for that guided view. I mean, they're already in cahoots, I don't understand why it hasn't happened.

The new MU app update added guided view... its called Smart Panel. You have to activate/deactivate it through the cog icon in the toolbar. It's not controlled by double-tapping the screen like Comixology's app.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ebenezer posted:

The new MU app update added guided view... its called Smart Panel. You have to activate/deactivate it through the cog icon in the toolbar. It's not controlled by double-tapping the screen like Comixology's app.

It's a pimple on the rear end of ComiXology's version though.

I never touch it on my iPad but the guided view is pretty slick for those times you want to read comics on your phone.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PoshAlligator posted:

It's not just the technology, they have to have people go in and actually figure out the layouts for the guided view. It may not be a huge deal for the newer issues that have already had that done but there are thousands of older issues they would have to go through to add that functionality in.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
I'm sure you guys will be the best to ask about this. I've been out of comics for almost a decade, and have been thinking about getting back in with this digital viewing. I'm pretty sure my best bet is to get the Marvel Unlimited yearly package so I can catch up on 10 years of stories at my leisure.
Does anyone know if the Plus package is good, or is that just throwing away $30? I doubt I'll ever go to a con or buy $300 worth of merchandise at the shop, so are the "more surprises" worth it?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KO Derf posted:

I'm sure you guys will be the best to ask about this. I've been out of comics for almost a decade, and have been thinking about getting back in with this digital viewing. I'm pretty sure my best bet is to get the Marvel Unlimited yearly package so I can catch up on 10 years of stories at my leisure.
Does anyone know if the Plus package is good, or is that just throwing away $30? I doubt I'll ever go to a con or buy $300 worth of merchandise at the shop, so are the "more surprises" worth it?

The freebies are kinda meh. So far they've sent me:
-an Ultron action figure. It sits on my computer and judges me.
-An awful poster that I gave to my mini who loves that kinda thing.

But the promo code for new comics purchases is worth it(you get like 5% off buying through the marvel digital store). I'm purchasing 3-5 new comics/trades a week so it helps keep the prices reasonable.

Honestly, I'd say start with the basic package because you can upgrade to Plus whenever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Spider-Island is on sale from 25 -> 4 dollars. Which for something like 18 issues is a steal. Even if it is primarily Slott. Although, I didn't mind it as it technically kick-starts Scarlet Spider and there are a few funny one liners.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Ghost Rider sale on today.

Volume 6 #20 is where Aaron takes over and is what you want to read, that everybody wants to read, and Heaven's on Fire is the follow up mini which finishes his run. It's Grindhouse Ghost Rider and really, really good.

This is just the tip of the :black101: iceberg.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
If I buy Sex Criminals on the web, can I download them from the Comixology app?

I still have #1 and seen that they've restarted with only #5 on the app.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

hadji murad posted:

If I buy Sex Criminals on the web, can I download them from the Comixology app?

I still have #1 and seen that they've restarted with only #5 on the app.

Yes. It's just buying that's disabled, they will show up in your purchased tabs. I've bought plenty of Max/banned from iStore stuff from the web and downloaded without issue on the app.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Be sure to buy Johnny Ryan's Angry Youth while you're on their web store, those are the best comics on the whole goddamn platform.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Waterhaul posted:

Ghost Rider sale on today.

Volume 6 #20 is where Aaron takes over and is what you want to read, that everybody wants to read, and Heaven's on Fire is the follow up mini which finishes his run. It's Grindhouse Ghost Rider and really, really good.

This is just the tip of the :black101: iceberg.

I already own these from when they first came out, and I still bought Aaron's whole run because goddamn is it that good.

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!
Is Thor: Mighty Avenger vol. 1 the fun Thor comic from a couple of years ago? It's £1.49 on comixology in the same sale as spider island.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The Reverand Me posted:

Is Thor: Mighty Avenger vol. 1 the fun Thor comic from a couple of years ago? It's £1.49 on comixology in the same sale as spider island.

Yeah it is.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Reverand Me posted:

Is that the one with Samnee on art? If yes then buy it all immediately. It's great.

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!

Senor Candle posted:

Is that the one with Samnee on art? If yes then buy it all immediately. It's great.

Done. Thanks guys, I needed something to read while I wait for my girlfriend's car to be serviced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

THIS is how you do sales, Marvel - well done. Like 750 pages of comics for :10bux: My first purchase in a long time since I usually read on MU.