Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I'm watching Survivor Series '98 and they absolutely censor commentary uses of "WWF" by just omitting them. There are really awkward occasional gaps in commentary. What's up with this? I thought the whole deal was they didn't need to do that anymore? Also Fink absolutely announces "WWF" many many times. So what the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

WCCW's normal TV production was better in 1982 than Starrcade was in 83. poo poo the wrestling is better too. I also find myself liking Michael Hayes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I'm watching Survivor Series '98 and they absolutely censor commentary uses of "WWF" by just omitting them. There are really awkward occasional gaps in commentary. What's up with this? I thought the whole deal was they didn't need to do that anymore? Also Fink absolutely announces "WWF" many many times. So what the hell?

A lot of the content on the Network is really awkwardly edited. They probably put up a bunch of stuff from before they were allowed to acknowledge that they were called "WWF" before. Personally I think the music changes they've done are worse in all ways, although slightly more understandable since they don't want to pay royalties or whatever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Things that have been digitized for the first time since that agreement are fine. Things that were originally digitized for Classics on Demand have seemingly been put up as they were prepared to save time.

It appears the thought here is that they'd rather digitize new stuff right now then go back and re-create edited versions of things later on. It's awkward but I'm not opposed to the way they seem to be doing this.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I got the impression from a cursory look at dumb reddit that the ECW stuff that had been edited a couple weeks ago is now unedited, anyone noticed anything like that?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

Things that have been digitized for the first time since that agreement are fine. Things that were originally digitized for Classics on Demand have seemingly been put up as they were prepared to save time.

It appears the thought here is that they'd rather digitize new stuff right now then go back and re-create edited versions of things later on. It's awkward but I'm not opposed to the way they seem to be doing this.

Other notable instances of WWF are also said on this show, like where there's no way for the sentence to make sense if they edited it out, or when WWF is said quickly enough on commentary that it'd be hard to edit out, whereas I guess saying "This guy will be the next [REDACTED. AWKWARD SILENCE] Champion!" still makes sense.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

epitasis posted:

I got the impression from a cursory look at dumb reddit that the ECW stuff that had been edited a couple weeks ago is now unedited, anyone noticed anything like that?

Oh I hope this is the case. I only know bits and pieces of ECW, but it was hinted earlier in this thread that getting into it on network wasn't really the best way to go about it due to the cuts.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hahaha I had forgotten how all but one match on Great American Bash 06 was not what was advertised and they just kept saying everyone was sick. What a peculiar show.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What are some good Regal matches? WCW or WWE.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

TheJoker138 posted:

Was Regal/Bryan back in 2011 good?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Was Regal/Bryan back in 2011 good?

Good but short as I recall.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Regal had lots of good matches with Ultimo Dragon, Rey Mysterio, and Finlay, but Regal was in that spot in the company where you didn't exactly have 15 minutes to work, if I recall.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Look for Regal Vs Punk, Vs Ambrose, Vs Daniel Bryan, Vs Ohno and Vs Finley.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Slam City, starring Hugh Jackman as Wade Barrett.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Look for Regal Vs Punk, Vs Ambrose, Vs Daniel Bryan, Vs Ohno and Vs Finley.

To be clear, Regal/Ambrose was in FCW.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

epitasis posted:

gently caress yeah, it looks like they did. I just checked Guilty As Charged 2001 and Joel Gertner's promo at the beginning is uncensored. When the Network first launched, all of that was beeped.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Great White Hope posted:

Regal had lots of good matches with Ultimo Dragon, Rey Mysterio, and Finlay, but Regal was in that spot in the company where you didn't exactly have 15 minutes to work, if I recall.

Regal beating the absolute gently caress out of Prince Iueka(sp?) is still one of my faves. 10 minutes of Prince making frustrated faces and Regal stomping all over him.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
And Cesaro/Regal back in NXT.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

epitasis posted:

Yeah, on a site I write for, a friend of mine put up an article about all the current drawbacks to the Network such as the edits, the lack of content in places, everything Xbox 360, billing fuckups, etc. He mainly focused on wondering why all the New Jack matches were missing. This actually got the attention of WWE's vice president of marketing, who talked to him over the phone in order to smooth out some of the annoyances and play damage control.

He noted that the New Jack stuff is because of the difficulties with having to change out entire matches featuring "Natural Born Killer" while keeping the commentary in there, but they are working on it and will be switching it in when they get to it.

So the whole On Demand holdover thing appears to be an ongoing process.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

It's weird trying to think what a conversation with a VP of a company (assuming the guy is like over 45) and discussing New Jack and Natural Born Killaz.

Also, there are so many dots on the late-era WCW PPV search bars.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gavok posted:

Yeah, on a site I write for, a friend of mine put up an article about all the current drawbacks to the Network such as the edits, the lack of content in places, everything Xbox 360, billing fuckups, etc. He mainly focused on wondering why all the New Jack matches were missing. This actually got the attention of WWE's vice president of marketing, who talked to him over the phone in order to smooth out some of the annoyances and play damage control.

He noted that the New Jack stuff is because of the difficulties with having to change out entire matches featuring "Natural Born Killer" while keeping the commentary in there, but they are working on it and will be switching it in when they get to it.

So the whole On Demand holdover thing appears to be an ongoing process.

They still employ Joey Styles, worst case couldn't he just ADR new commentary?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
I still find it pretty annoying that the Raw replays (and maybe others I dunno) seem to be missing when setting the filter by year yet typing in "Raw Episodes" in search will find episode 14.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

projecthalaxy posted:

Hahaha I had forgotten how all but one match on Great American Bash 06 was not what was advertised and they just kept saying everyone was sick. What a peculiar show.

The Great American Elevated Enzymes of the Liver.

Still, it seemed to have made the matches better. Lashley being axed, Khali being axed.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 17, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I've come to the stunning realization that I don't really hate Justin Credible. Or maybe I just really like this match versus Mikey Whipwreck at Wrestlepalooza.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TheJoker138 posted:

WCW Uncensored 96 he had a great brawl with Finlay, though you should watch that show anyway just for the insanity of the Doomsday Cage Match.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Watched part of Bash at the Beach '95 last night for some reason. Notable for Mean Gene calling it "the biggest crowd to ever watch a WCW event live!" because they seemingly counted every person anywhere on the beach as an attendee. This was the one where they had Baywatch cameras on the apron.

Also notable is the crowd turning on Renegade and his Warrior rip-off shtick and getting behind the heel which I can't imagine happened so often back then except with Flair. Mr. Wonderful is in classic heel mode but midway through the match the crowd starts popping for all his heel tactics and chanting WON-DER-FUL. Renegade does two consecutive front dropkicks which are the worst I've ever seen in my life. There's a bullshit finish where Nick Patrick counts Wonderful pinned despite him raising his shoulder, which the commentators point out but then say you can't blame the ref for some reason (every single match I saw except the opener had a gently caress finish). After the match Wonderful gives him the spike piledriver to a huge pop but then Renegade immediately does the Undertaker sit-up and the crowd just buries it. Like the crowd was so far from buying into the character that to no-sell a finisher like that was a brutal reminder of how fake it all was. Then Renegade hits him with a diving cross body from the top, Wonderful takes it but immediately rolls out of the ring to no-sell it himself and appeal to the crowd who again pops big for the dude booked to suffer this bullshit.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Looks like the version of One Night Only (WWE's 1997 UK PPV) is heavily edited and has three matches omitted. One of the cut matches is the Bret vs. Undertaker title match which is mentioned in the video description. :wtc: I wanted to see Bret vs. Taker, but guess not. At least Shawn's heel performance in his match against Bulldog was absolutely glorious, and Owen vs. Vader was pretty good as well.

The show hasn't actually been edited for the Network or Classics on Demand or anything, as it appears these cuts were already in the original 1997 VHS release for some reason. This has probably been talked about in the thread already (I recall someone mentioning the cut Tiger Ali Singh vs. Leif Cassidy match being terrible), but I didn't remember and was pretty disappointed.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 18, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Watched THE BIG EVENT last night and wow, that show really doesn't hold up. Neat to see how different Toronto looked in the 80's to now though. The aerial shot of the city with Mean Gene talking over it is pretty cool, but nothing much else worth watching on the show other than Greg Valentine/Brutus vs the Rougeaus.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

epitasis posted:

Watched part of Bash at the Beach '95 last night for some reason. Notable for Mean Gene calling it "the biggest crowd to ever watch a WCW event live!" because they seemingly counted every person anywhere on the beach as an attendee. This was the one where they had Baywatch cameras on the apron.

Also notable is the crowd turning on Renegade and his Warrior rip-off shtick and getting behind the heel which I can't imagine happened so often back then except with Flair. Mr. Wonderful is in classic heel mode but midway through the match the crowd starts popping for all his heel tactics and chanting WON-DER-FUL. Renegade does two consecutive front dropkicks which are the worst I've ever seen in my life. There's a bullshit finish where Nick Patrick counts Wonderful pinned despite him raising his shoulder, which the commentators point out but then say you can't blame the ref for some reason (every single match I saw except the opener had a gently caress finish). After the match Wonderful gives him the spike piledriver to a huge pop but then Renegade immediately does the Undertaker sit-up and the crowd just buries it. Like the crowd was so far from buying into the character that to no-sell a finisher like that was a brutal reminder of how fake it all was. Then Renegade hits him with a diving cross body from the top, Wonderful takes it but immediately rolls out of the ring to no-sell it himself and appeal to the crowd who again pops big for the dude booked to suffer this bullshit.

IIRC Paul Orndorff had clearly had enough of this poo poo and semi-retired shortly thereafter.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I wish the whole card was listed (maybe as a popout or something if people don't want to be 'spoiled' on a years-old PPV) when you pull up an event. Yeah you can look through the bookmarks to see what's there but that's a clunky solution at best. It'd be nice if, at least, you could click a link and get just the hype video for the PPV as well.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I had forgotten how hilarious Undertaker's acting was in the Attitude Era.

WHERE TO, STEPHANIE?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Anyone else have troubles with video on demand still? It works fine on pc and ps3 but my android tablet (Samsung Note 10.1 I think) loads just audio and no video. I have tried reinstalling and looking for updates, but my tablet was going to be my main viewing screen for it. I can settle for "radio" shows for awhile but I would really like to get it working. Anyone have a quick fix?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The ICP have been edited out of Summerslam 98. I didn't think they were editing to improve the quality of shows. Thanks, WWE Network!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

One feature for VOD that would be cool is a next show button. Like if I'm watching the Rumble, I'd like to be able to at the end of the show just click a button and be watching Elimination Chamber.

Also how did they not get the actual guys to do the voice work for Slam City? Takes me right out of the moment, can't watch this kids show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

projecthalaxy posted:

One feature for VOD that would be cool is a next show button. Like if I'm watching the Rumble, I'd like to be able to at the end of the show just click a button and be watching Elimination Chamber.

Also how did they not get the actual guys to do the voice work for Slam City? Takes me right out of the moment, can't watch this kids show.

the WWF superstars cartoon show didn't have Hogan and Co as voice actors.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Beach blast is gone!

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
My debit card expires next month. What would happen if I didn't update my payment info, apart from me losing access? I messed up the free trial sign up somehow and couldn't cancel.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Professor Funk posted:

I had forgotten how hilarious Undertaker's acting was in the Attitude Era.

WHERE TO, STEPHANIE?

My friends and I watched this bit repeatedly, there is so much greatness about it. From Viscera going "LETS GET 'ER" to Taker's line, to the fact that we thought that Stephanie's scream was Taker making a weird noise after the line. I mean, go back and watch it and imagine Taker rolls down the window and goes "Where to, Stephanie? AYYYY-EEEEEEEEEEEE" *rolls window up*

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Snacksmaniac posted:

Beach blast is gone!

its still there. http://network.wwe.com/video/v31312961

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

TUS posted:

My friends and I watched this bit repeatedly, there is so much greatness about it. From Viscera going "LETS GET 'ER" to Taker's line, to the fact that we thought that Stephanie's scream was Taker making a weird noise after the line. I mean, go back and watch it and imagine Taker rolls down the window and goes "Where to, Stephanie? AYYYY-EEEEEEEEEEEE" *rolls window up*
ahahahahha wow, he really does open his mouth for the evil laughter right in sync with Stephanie's scream. I can't not process it this way now and it's making me laugh like an idiot child.