Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

uublog posted:

FYI Martha Stewart and Li'l Jon designed dog bowls with Meyers and it was p. awesome (Martha's dog was also there terrorizing Seth's tiny dog)

Seth's Late Night has had its existence for the next few years justified just for having Martha Stewart and Lil John on the show together.

I think Lil John needs to become Seth's co-host.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's something about watching Lindsay Lohan and Jimmy Fallon play Water War that's incredibly charming to me. So far this Tonight Show has been more interesting to watch than Jay Leno's ever was. Conan's was a pretty interesting one too, but Fallon definitely feels like he's breathing new life into this show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's something about watching Lindsay Lohan and Jimmy Fallon play Water War that's incredibly charming to me. So far this Tonight Show has been more interesting to watch than Jay Leno's ever was. Conan's was a pretty interesting one too, but Fallon definitely feels like he's breathing new life into this show.

I love that there's been absolutely no changes from Late Night besides moving to a different studio. I knew he wouldn't have near as many problems as Conan did to readjusting for the different time slot.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Deadpool posted:

Seth's Late Night has had its existence for the next few years justified just for having Martha Stewart and Lil John on the show together.

I think Lil John needs to become Seth's co-host.

Either that, or it was a backdoor pilot for its spinoff, The Martha Stewart and Li'l Jon Show. Included: a sketch where Martha has her car window rolled down to listen to the rap blasting from passing cars, when Li'l Jon rolls by, blasting Li'l Jon. Then she dances in his next video.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Deadpool posted:

I love that there's been absolutely no changes from Late Night besides moving to a different studio. I knew he wouldn't have near as many problems as Conan did to readjusting for the different time slot.

I do wonder if Conan had to change things to try and keep Leno's crowd, while years it's now about the younger demographic so Fallon is given more freedom to keep things the same. Also, having Lorne Michaels overseeing it probably helped too.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, wow, Kenan Thompson's supposed caricature of Steve Harvey is actually really close to the reality of Steve Harvey.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Chand0X posted:

I do wonder if Conan had to change things to try and keep Leno's crowd, while years it's now about the younger demographic so Fallon is given more freedom to keep things the same. Also, having Lorne Michaels overseeing it probably helped too.
Conan transitioned under the watchful eye of Jeff Zucker, a proven idiot. Conan really didn't have a chance against the old to new guard stigmata that came along with it. Once that failed ship was blown the gently caress up a bit of relaxation occurred which helped ease Fallon into a smoother changeover. Having Lorne at his back made things much simpler as well.

Now Zucker is screwing up CNN... and the world continues to spin.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching Bobby McFerrin and Jimmy Fallon do a scat duet was simply mesmerizing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Robnoxious posted:

Conan transitioned under the watchful eye of Jeff Zucker, a proven idiot. Conan really didn't have a chance against the old to new guard stigmata that came along with it. Once that failed ship was blown the gently caress up a bit of relaxation occurred which helped ease Fallon into a smoother changeover. Having Lorne at his back made things much simpler as well.

Conan probably would've have done alright if the 10pm Leno stunt hadn't happened, which dragged down everything afterward.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Robnoxious posted:

Now Zucker is screwing up CNN... and the world continues to spin.

It's worth pointing out that (assuming I remember it correctly) Bill Carter's The War For Late Night puts a good chunk of the blame on Dick Ebersol. If you'll permit me to dip into the ol' box of Star Wars analogies, he was the Palpatine to Zucker's Vader, except instead of Zucker having a last-minute change of heart, he just kept doing whatever Ebersol said until Comcast kicked them both out.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

DivisionPost posted:

It's worth pointing out that (assuming I remember it correctly) Bill Carter's The War For Late Night puts a good chunk of the blame on Dick Ebersol. If you'll permit me to dip into the ol' box of Star Wars analogies, he was the Palpatine to Zucker's Vader, except instead of Zucker having a last-minute change of heart, he just kept doing whatever Ebersol said until Comcast kicked them both out.
Thanks for reminding me that exists, I finally got around to ordering a copy.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Wasn't Conan's Tonight Show produced by Broadway Video (Lorne Michaels) as well? Or was that only when Conan was hosting Late Night? Seems like if Lorne was involved with Conan's Tonight Show that he would have been able to push back a bit if the higher ups were trying to get Conan out.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
No, Conan struck out on his own for Tonight. His company Conaco produced the show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Questlove and Captain Kirk Douglas of The Roots as Black Simon & Garfunkel doing an acoustic version of Lorde's Royals on Fallon tonight is the most tolerable version of that song I've ever heard.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
If this is true, this could backfire immensely....

http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/06/jimmy-fallon-nbc-jimmy-kimmel-live-tonight-show/

quote:

NBC is coming down like a hammer on celebs who want to get on Jimmy Fallon's show ... if they dare do a show on CBS or ABC ... they can forget about "The Tonight Show."

Sources connected to CBS, NBC and ABC tell TMZ ... the Peacock network believes Jimmy Fallon's ratings success gives them extreme bargaining power. They put the word out to celebs, agents and publicists ... if they want to be on Fallon they can't appear on ANY other network ... and not just shows that go head-to-head with Jimmy, but morning shows as well.

We're told NBC is saying the stars who go on Fallon are also allowed to appear on "Today," "Dateline" and any similar shows they air, but that's it.

A GMA source tells TMZ ... they've already gotten fallout from people they were trying to book.

Fallon is dominating late night .... crushing Jimmy Kimmel by bringing in more than twice the number of viewers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is a ballsy move that will most definitely not end well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait WHAT :stare:

Either Fallon's show will only have a limited number of guests to choose from or else the other late night talkshows will. It seems like a lose/lose situation.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

It doesn't matter much to me, cause Kristen Bell always goes to CraigyFerg dead last in the media slogfest and they very rarely talk shop once she gets there anyways.
I'd like to see NBC flex their muscle with her.
She'll tell 'em to gently caress right off.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Has NBC even had any muscle to flex in the television industry in the last decade? They're consistantly dead last in every single ratings demographic, except for when Leno was pulling in strong numbers for them.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gonz posted:

Has NBC even had any muscle to flex in the television industry in the last decade? They're consistantly dead last in every single ratings demographic, except for when Leno was pulling in strong numbers for them.
Sunday Night Football (and Olympics) are their cash cow that keeps them in the money demo. They aren't always dead last but the bottom falls out when the NFL season ends. Now that they are two years removed from the next Olympics in Rio they don't have as much flex as they did before the Winter Olympics. Also, CBS is in the mix with Thursday Night Football though those games are traditionally dog matchups.

It really depends on how much of dicks they want to be now that they have Kabletown and the blow back upon cable is getting stronger than a dull rumble. Prolly not enough to be a concern but if it swells they could have a big problem upon their hands.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh yeah, totally forgot about their football contracts. But yeah, outside of that, they're SOL.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
Craig Ferguson announced last night that he and Drew Carey are swapping jobs on April Fools Day; Drew does The Late Late Show, and Craig runs rampant over The Price Is Right.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_late_show/video/1iuksoiVGBtrVXEo3lTa_gQ38dVmeMlr/the-late-late-show-3-17-2014/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seems like a pretty obvious choice for publicity. You can either do 3 shows, or like 9 of them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

insert_funny posted:

Craig Ferguson announced last night that he and Drew Carey are swapping jobs on April Fools Day; Drew does The Late Late Show, and Craig runs rampant over The Price Is Right.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_late_show/video/1iuksoiVGBtrVXEo3lTa_gQ38dVmeMlr/the-late-late-show-3-17-2014/

You don't announce your april fools gags. Come on!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

This is the same poo poo Helen Kushnick did when Leno took over that effectively ended her career.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

insert_funny posted:

They even have a 20 second ad for it. Wonder how much it will run between now and then.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_late_...ril-fool-s-day/

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Watching a rerun of Conan and is it just me or is there a butthole on the moon in the background.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Seth seems to be settling in, his opening monologue no longer has those awkward pauses where he's waiting for the Weekend Update graphic to pop up. Fred's a little better, I still wish he'd give us his Portlandia material instead of his SNL material though.

Edit: "Doda Brokaw" nearly split my sides.

Hispanic! At The Disco fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 25, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeff Carlin on Conan was hilarious. He basically took it upon himself to run the show and talk to the crew members during his interview.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I'd like to talk about Late Night with Seth Meyers tonight, but first... a sticka gum.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I still like Craig more but I enjoyed the gum. I like this and the "I found it" gag that girl does so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goddamn Jimmy's Tonight Show is so much fun. That musical bit with Russell Crowe and Jimmy was awesome. Also that first joke from Joan Rivers was loving ballsy. She's funny as hell. Good to see her back on the show after being basically banned for so long.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deadpool posted:

Goddamn Jimmy's Tonight Show is so much fun. That musical bit with Russell Crowe and Jimmy was awesome. Also that first joke from Joan Rivers was loving ballsy. She's funny as hell. Good to see her back on the show after being basically banned for so long.
Seriously. I'm actually watching it right now (had DVRed it earlier) and I'm watching Joan's part and she's loving hilarious. So many people give her poo poo, but man, she can still knock it out of the park way more than most people her age and even people younger than her.

Why exactly was she banned from the show? I'd never heard about that. Did her jokes go too far?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Seriously. I'm actually watching it right now (had DVRed it earlier) and I'm watching Joan's part and she's loving hilarious. So many people give her poo poo, but man, she can still knock it out of the park way more than most people her age and even people younger than her.

Why exactly was she banned from the show? I'd never heard about that. Did her jokes go too far?

While you wait for a more thorough answer, she used to be a frequent guest of Carson's but she became dead to him after she got her own show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Johnny banned her after she took a talk show host role in a competing time slot. They were very good friends and he felt betrayed. I don't think they ever really even talked again after that. I guess maybe Jay just kept up the ban for some reason.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It wasn't that Rivers got her own show. Carson never minded that. Whenever anyone tried to compete, he'd have them on, wish them luck, and then he'd have them back on when their show tanked. What pissed Carson off was that Rivers took the show without talking to him about it first. He felt, probably justifiably so, that he was owed at least that much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The entire Mike Birbiglia and James Van Der Beek thing on Late Night was also fantastic. But the best part was James talking about Last Call.

James: "I even did the Carson Daly show where you sit at the bar and talk to Carson that's on.... well nobody knows when it's on. But it's on sometime."
Seth: "Next. It's on next."

And James just gets this look on his face of complete embarassment. Then turns and points at the camera.

James: "Stay tuned for Carson Daly next!"
Seth: "The network is going to be really happy."
James: "It's really on next?"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It should also be mentioned that not only was Joan Rivers a friend of Johnny, bur she actually guest-hosted the Tonight Show quite a bit, to the point where she was the designated guest host for a few years until she took her own show. The only person who guest hosted more than Joan during Johnny's time on the show was Joey Bishop, and that was wayyyyy earlier in his run.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Seconding the "Joan Rivers KILLED on the Tonight Show" comments.

She was fantastic; i'm sure Jimmy will be forced into a meeting with Standards & Practices sometime this weekend because of it, too. But it was totally worth it. She's 140 years old but her comedy is still so blue. Magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Deadpool posted:

The entire Mike Birbiglia and James Van Der Beek thing on Late Night was also fantastic. But the best part was James talking about Last Call.

James: "I even did the Carson Daly show where you sit at the bar and talk to Carson that's on.... well nobody knows when it's on. But it's on sometime."
Seth: "Next. It's on next."

And James just gets this look on his face of complete embarassment. Then turns and points at the camera.

James: "Stay tuned for Carson Daly next!"
Seth: "The network is going to be really happy."
James: "It's really on next?"
Yeah that was really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQooxO88Z_s