Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
980 amps kind of scares the poo poo out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ol qwerty bastard posted:

what the gently caress is the electrical system like 1 volt or are you pulling multiple kilowatts out of the battery

i assume it's 120 VAC @ 15A input from the wall, and he's talking 150A of 12 VDC inside his robot

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
that robot is just going to weld itself to the opponent, isnt it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i assume it's 120 VAC @ 15A input from the wall, and he's talking 150A of 12 VDC inside his robot

correct. i don't know what wall you're talking about though, the robot is self-contained and runs on a motorcycle battery.

i doubt we were ever actually drawing the theoretical maximum of :pcgaming: eleven point seven six kilowatts :pcgaming: though an instantaneous load at that level as the circuit breaker is converted into metallic vapor isn't impossible. even with the compressor off and the elevation motors disabled, just the drivetrain alone consumes nearly 800 amps at stall

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 16, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the scary part is that we weren't even the most powerful robot there. some of the teams that were able to out-shove us, even when we were in low gear, were talking about how they have to do things like spray their power distribution board with compressed co2 to cool it between matches, and how switching from 6-gauge to 4-gauge wire made a noticeable difference to the performance

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i've seen a 2N3055 explode in a shower of sparks and a dribble of glowing molten metal. good poo poo

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

oh i'm fully aware this is completely insane but i think it's just a new way of looking at things that nobody has done before, because, our human operating system is in fact a piece of poo poo. i think the possiblity of an operating system indeed being a piece of poo poo is an idea we can get behind.

the lol thing is if i'm right it's skynet, the singularity, general relativity, the goldback conjecture, hawking radiation, strong-weak unification force all in one which would pretty lol if a lowly yosposter did that. i mean look at my loving posting i am awful
my bro-in-law took some random pills over new years thinking he'd get high but it was anti-epilepsy medication cut with meth or something which made him psychotic and now he hears voices and his brain is a bit fried oh and also he sounds just like you.

get help.

bro-in-law has been on antipsychotics and is only just starting to come right, 3 months later

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Dr. Honked posted:

i've seen a 2N3055 explode in a shower of sparks and a dribble of glowing molten metal.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
time to diet

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Dr. Honked posted:

i've seen a 2N3055 explode in a shower of sparks and a dribble of glowing molten metal. good poo poo

2n3055s are all fake now. an old 70s one would still work fine while glowing red hot

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's a FRC robot, so I assume running from a 12V battery through a 120A main breaker. the CIM's stall current is listed as 133A, so 900+A from 6 motors is pretty feasible and also kind of funny. maybe get the students to program some sort of voltage ramp function into the drive code so the thing isn't instantaneously slamming from full reverse to full forward? also post robot pics, robot designs are always super creative and fun.

i'm working on an entry for the MATE underwater robotics comp right now. we're required to source power from the surface through a tether at 48VDC and a max current of 40A. problem is that right now the tether is 60ft of 12 gauge wire, so I can't imagine that great things will happen to it at maximum draw. fortunately it's water cooled! i'll post some pics once it's closer to completion.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. A Taco Bell on fire off the shoulder of I-80. I watched cinnamon rolls glitter in the dark in the Tannhäuser Bakery. All those meals will be lost in time, like [belch] broccoli... in... cheese sauce. Time... to diet...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

it's a FRC robot, so I assume running from a 12V battery through a 120A main breaker. the CIM's stall current is listed as 133A, so 900+A from 6 motors is pretty feasible and also kind of funny. maybe get the students to program some sort of voltage ramp function into the drive code so the thing isn't instantaneously slamming from full reverse to full forward? also post robot pics, robot designs are always super creative and fun.

yep, yep and yes. that's the situation.

i have been wringing my hands at our lead programmer's lack of innovation on things like ramping fuctions and driver assists this year. his attitude was kind of "well i can't program the robot until it's finished" -- and despite our best efforts he couldn't be convinced otherwise -- so he just kind of hosed off half the season instead of coming up with useful ideas like that. even basic things like...our shooting mechanism requires that several pistons extend and retract in a specific cycle to prevent damage to the mechanism itself. i told him a couple times at like week 2 that we needed that to be computer-controlled so the driver could just press one button and have the remainder of the cycle proceed automatically. did he do it? no, "i need to have the shooter finished to do that". so there's like four buttons the driver has to press to reset the shooter and if they go out of order it crushes itself. welp.

but i tell myself (a) they're just kids and (b) i am not going to be one of the teams where the dad/college student/whatever is all "fine i'll just do it get out of the way". the kids should be doing all of it and learning every bit of why things happen the way they do. we watched the onboard video and the robot was clearly blowing the breaker when it reversed direction, so we assumed that stall was blowing the circuit, and after telling the driver to just ease the transition we had no problems. still should have been solved in software though.

next year i'm going to have them put a current sensor into the drivetrain and really lean on the programming team to add stuff like limiters, or better, an automatic transmission that shifts to low gear when the current spikes and back to high when it's dropped again.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

coffeetable posted:

see i really cant remember superawesome being this batshit in the past so i gotta assume its a troll, but if it is a troll wow there's a lot of effort going into it

mania

be kind

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sagebrush posted:

yep, yep and yes. that's the situation.

i have been wringing my hands at our lead programmer's lack of innovation on things like ramping fuctions and driver assists this year. his attitude was kind of "well i can't program the robot until it's finished" -- and despite our best efforts he couldn't be convinced otherwise -- so he just kind of hosed off half the season instead of coming up with useful ideas like that. even basic things like...our shooting mechanism requires that several pistons extend and retract in a specific cycle to prevent damage to the mechanism itself. i told him a couple times at like week 2 that we needed that to be computer-controlled so the driver could just press one button and have the remainder of the cycle proceed automatically. did he do it? no, "i need to have the shooter finished to do that". so there's like four buttons the driver has to press to reset the shooter and if they go out of order it crushes itself. welp.

start chatting to one of the other kids on the team about doing the programming and watch the know-it-all suddenly perk up

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sweevo posted:

2n3055s are all fake now. an old 70s one would still work fine while glowing red hot

this was in 1989, in east germany. the berlin wall had fallen recently. i was working on an electroplating machine, which had numerous process stations. each station held a basket that had a spiral track. the tiny components would run up the track and jump off the end due to vibration, and recirculate. i can't remember exactly how heavy the baskets were but it was definitely tens of kilograms. 30 to 50 maybe?

the vibrators couldn't handle the mass. the company that made the vibrators sent some belgian engineers to help us out. they were awful, they laughed openly at the east germans and their lovely decaying country. their solution to the problem was not to fix anything properly - they just wanted to get the gently caress out. so they simply adjusted the current limiters way beyond their sensible limits to try and get enough power into the vibrators.

the result was that a 2N3055 exploded, sending a shower of sparks a few feet into the aisle out through the open cabinet doors. molten metal from the case dripped down into an overridden circuit breaker, which also spat glowing metal in turn.

good times

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah. unfortunately i didn't pick up on what he was doing fast enough cause i was dealing with the mechanical issues most of the season. also there is one other kid who's into programming but like...not the right kind of programming. i'm not sure where he's getting it from exactly but he constantly asks me which linux distro is the best one (i dont know) and was mad that we were using the java api for the robot instead of c. and he has this attitude that the more low-level something is, the better it is, which is definitely not true when you have to bootstrap a functional machine from zero in 6 weeks. use all the pre-built assists you can find, damnit. i think his dad is a goony programmer and perhaps this is where it's coming from. he'll grow up eventually though.

next year i'm going to emphasize mechanical ~simplicity~ in our design over all else and putting more effort into mentoring the programmers and less into solving mechanical problems that we shouldn't have had in the first place (excessively complicated design). we really don't have enough programming expertise right now.

on the plus side we did get the EI award and as a result are going to championships so the kids will hopefully go and learn from some of the real powerhouse teams

e: and now that i've gotten to know the new members of the team, i have a pretty good snse of who should be on the programming team next year. some really keen freshmen who got sort of shoved out by the seniors. hooray for high school cliques

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 17, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dr. Honked posted:

the vibrators couldn't handle the mass.

dont talk about ur mom that way!!!

Dec 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

get out your soldering iron and make a respectable board please

halfway done doing just that (minus the respectable part - half of the point of this was to get me better at soldering + simple electronics that arent servos, i breadboarded it up first because i frankly had no idea if the pedal would work)

Sagebrush posted:

hahaha jesus loving christ. i'm going over the designs for our competition robot this year and checking some specs because we kept blowing the main circuit breaker in competitions. it's rated for 150 amps, but can do 300 amps for a short period of time (about 90 seconds). matches are only 2.5 minutes long. our batteries are 12 amp-hours so *in theory* we can make it just about an entire match drawing the maximum current before the battery craps out, if the breaker could handle it.

ran the numbers and it turns out our maximum draw, with the air compressor running, two elevation motors holding our aiming mechanism at a specific angle against gravity and all six main drive motors in stall (happens when going from full forward to full reverse), is...

980 amps

well that explains why the breaker kept popping when we got into shoving matches. :psyduck: these kids are insane

holy gently caress, what

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

not a big fan anymore but i don't see how looks factor into it

if you aren't talented (aka sleater-kinney) then hopefully you're handsome/pretty. otherwise you're gonna have a tough time at life.

like i said, though, carrie brownstein is funny on portlandia. so she has the talent part, but it's comedy, not music.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dr. Honked posted:

this was in 1989, in east germany. the berlin wall had fallen recently. i was working on an electroplating machine, which had numerous process stations. each station held a basket that had a spiral track. the tiny components would run up the track and jump off the end due to vibration, and recirculate. i can't remember exactly how heavy the baskets were but it was definitely tens of kilograms. 30 to 50 maybe?

the vibrators couldn't handle the mass. the company that made the vibrators sent some belgian engineers to help us out. they were awful, they laughed openly at the east germans and their lovely decaying country. their solution to the problem was not to fix anything properly - they just wanted to get the gently caress out. so they simply adjusted the current limiters way beyond their sensible limits to try and get enough power into the vibrators.

the result was that a 2N3055 exploded, sending a shower of sparks a few feet into the aisle out through the open cabinet doors. molten metal from the case dripped down into an overridden circuit breaker, which also spat glowing metal in turn.

good times

please scan some photos of this awesome period in your life

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you should run your robot on 400vdc except then you will start killing high schoolers so i guess maybe don't but that'd be the appropriate solution

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

AlsoD posted:

look at it this way: you go and see a shrink and one of two things happen:
1) you are certified unschizophrenic in which case great that's a step forwards to being taken more seriously
2) you are certified schizophrenic in which case great that's a step forwards to getting help

which do you think will happen?

corroboration! from fully independent sources! http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/17/5518346/first-evidence-gravitational-waves-supports-big-bang-inflation

my posts and git commit history all has me discovering this and recording it (securely hashed)

PRIOR to the event reaching us

only by like a week

but its legit and the physics of relativity dictates that its impossible for that idea to have been created before like, 2 weeks of this event occuring. ti's pure information entropy. our physics and mathematical, data operating system is a piece of poo poo, and developed on lovely abstractions by dumbs.

math is inside out and upside down (it took me like 10 days of staying up doing a bunch of crazy theoretical math (reimann zeta function and analytic contiunation of complex topoplogy. eugh. and many graphs to get here)

i have the building blocks of a quantum computer and gonna open sores it in a couple weeks watch this space also if i stop posting its the NSA (but its all on github so its not even worth them doing anything)

also through my math ive calculated the information entropy space of human knowledge - it's 6 PB if you store it properly - and that's the exact size of the data centre the NSA are building in utah, and they would definitely be the only people with enough math and crypto people, money, and fox-news fuelled paranoia to bother doing it

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 17, 2014

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

also im making it a bideo game for ipads

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
What the gently caress is happening to Mr SuperAwesome?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

my posting is going downhill that's for sure

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey mrsuperawesome, hey.

just because u know enough math and physics to know the buzzwords that does not make you a world renowed expert. or an expert at all really.

seek help (either a shrink, or a programmer to make ur markov chains funnier)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

our physics and mathematical, data operating system is a piece of poo poo, and developed on lovely abstractions by dumbs.

welp you heard it here first. newton, galileo, euler, gauss, einstein, etc all dumbs who are dumberer than mr stuperawesome

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Socracheese posted:

hey mrsuperawesome, hey. seek help (either a shrink, or a programmer to make ur markov chains funnier)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

also im making it a bideo game for ipads

calling it now, this is a viral marketing campaign for his ipad app

lord i hope that's all it is

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Werthog 95 posted:

calling it now, this is a viral marketing campaign for his ipad app

lord i hope that's all it is

the first viral campaign to target 70 people in a funny computar forum

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

psychosis-hubris tag team

ur brain is fried bro

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

theadder posted:

the first viral campaign to target 70 people in a funny computar forum

the most successful viral campaign to date

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
just gonna chime in and say i smoked a lot of weed, too much really and then didn't budget things like food and uh sleep

ended up pretty loving manic and believing in a number of things pretty similar to mr crazyawesome's uh, project

i thought the skynet thing would come from fpgas (this was c. 1999 or so) because man that's a computer chip that can uh field program gates or something

turns out computers and the people who use them are fairly stupid

nothing to worry about really

seek help mr. sa

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Bloody posted:

the most successful viral campaign to date

ya but only if you go for it

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

welp you heard it here first. newton, galileo, euler, gauss, einstein, etc all dumbs who are dumberer than mr stuperawesome

not correct fyi those guys were the smart ones, just to clear it up. ramujan, reimann, nash, von neumann, feynmann, levi-cevitta, etc- all rly cool smart dudes too

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

please respond to the weed psychosis allegations, mister super awesome

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

ur right, my posting is terrible and insane, fortunately for everyone involved im much more sane irl (and not doing any crazy irl poo poo other than bad posting)

in all seriousness i do have a whole bunch of stoned nonsense but its stoned nonsense with some vague weird insight that hopefully thru the magic of computers to save and timestamp, i can just recreate and then look at in a non-stoned light and make a computer thing. this is the true beauty of the information age as long as you save your craziness and look at it later and do some hard work ur totally fine. its easy to make good poo poo urself these days too: look at john carmack and doom, woz and apple etc

wait did i just unironically try to and roll with the punches in yospos? gently caress

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

ur right, my posting is terrible and insane, fortunately for everyone involved im much more sane irl (and not doing any crazy irl poo poo other than bad posting)

in all seriousness i do have a whole bunch of stoned nonsense but its stoned nonsense with some vague weird insight that hopefully thru the magic of computers to save and timestamp, i can just recreate and then look at in a non-stoned light and make a computer thing. this is the true beauty of the information age as long as you save your craziness and look at it later and do some hard work ur totally fine. its easy to make good poo poo urself these days too: look at john carmack and doom, woz and apple etc

wait did i just unironically try to and roll with the punches in yospos? gently caress

seek. medical. help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

well, you did compare yourself to carmack and wozniak so...

hopefully you will make your dreams a reality or something