Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

subx posted:

Going to a book signing tonight, and I need something interesting for Sanderson to sign my book with. Help goons!
Who's the best rapper in the cosmere?

Everyone always asks about powerlevels and fights. But who will win a rap battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

treeboy posted:

you're reaching really far here and are completely off base.

This is where I could also point out the Alethi aren't white, they're somewhere between Indian/East Asian in skin color, perhaps even Native American/Mayan. Of the main cast only Shallan is "european" in appearance with pale skin, freckles, and red hair (I get a Eurasian/Russian vibe from Rock). Sanderson does an excellent job of actually creating 'fake' ethnicities that don't really exist on earth (Adolin is blonde with black streaked hair and dark tan skin, and strong sharp features/square jaw)

edit: We also don't know the Parshendi backstory. Only that They're susceptible to control via voidspren due to their close relation to the Cognitive realm, much as Hemalurgic spikes made one susceptible to Ruin. My guess is they were a peaceful race, which included the Dawnsingers who formed the great cities for Men, and then were essentially enslaved by Odium when he became trapped in the Greater Rosharran solar system

With Odium's tendencies, and one of the Diagram chapter prologues, it sounds like the Parshendi weren't necessarily that way from the start, or created by Odium as servants. The prologue referring to the Unmade sounds a lot like it's referring to the Parshendi. Odium's thing seems to be "shattering" stuff into pieces. The Parshendi are incomplete, in that they don't innately have souls, or whatever you want to call most things' spiritual center. They have to bond a spren to be complete, and they mention that they felt betrayed by the spren for bonding with humans when the Parshendi are their original bff's. Spren are seemingly unique to the Roshar/Honor/Cultivation/Odium part of the Cosmere, and they aren't present in places like Shinovar, where the world isn't a rocky, stormswept, crustacean-ridden hellscape.

What I'm speculating at, is that the Parshendi were shattered into physical, cognitive, and spiritual pieces by Odium. Roshar itself seems to be beaten up pretty badly, too. So maybe the spren (including voidspren) are the independent cognitive and spiritual pieces of the other stuff that Odium broke. It's held true for Honor, at least.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just realized that if they made a game set in the Stormlight Archive universe, I would be the player who progresses through the plot at lightning speed until I got to the giant island/turtle spren creatures. I'd spend the rest of the time chilling there because it seems pretty sweet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I got book 2 of Stormlight Archives and realized I don't remember much of the first book at all, is there a decently short summary floating around before I just go to wikipedia?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IRQ posted:

I got book 2 of Stormlight Archives and realized I don't remember much of the first book at all, is there a decently short summary floating around before I just go to wikipedia?

There's the tor.com reread which is fairly comprehensive, and there's coppermind's which is smaller

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Hopeford posted:

Until this is proven to be false, I'll forever be convinced that the funky stone throwing game is like Calvinball and there are no actual rules to it.

The rules appear to be, he who gives the least fucks gets the most points

Actually, there is a question to ask at a book signing. Are there rules for the ball game Lightsong plays in Warbreaker, and what are they?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

api call girl posted:

It's probably reaching for a bit when that entire selection was prefaced and postfaced by pointing out that Vorinism/etc. is full of poo poo.

The section before and after both deal with Kaladin, and there is no indication they have anything to do with Vorinism: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Seld

Xachariah posted:

Doesn't bother me, they're a made-up race in a made-up world with very made-up magic influences. Also their skin colour is half inky black/half red so they're more of an alien race rather than black people.

Media can contain symbols, and is created in a wider context.

treeboy posted:

you're reaching really far here and are completely off base.

This is where I could also point out the Alethi aren't white, they're somewhere between Indian/East Asian in skin color, perhaps even Native American/Mayan. Of the main cast only Shallan is "european" in appearance with pale skin, freckles, and red hair (I get a Eurasian/Russian vibe from Rock). Sanderson does an excellent job of actually creating 'fake' ethnicities that don't really exist on earth (Adolin is blonde with black streaked hair and dark tan skin, and strong sharp features/square jaw)

edit: We also don't know the Parshendi backstory. Only that They're susceptible to control via voidspren due to their close relation to the Cognitive realm, much as Hemalurgic spikes made one susceptible to Ruin. My guess is they were a peaceful race, which included the Dawnsingers who formed the great cities for Men, and then were essentially enslaved by Odium when he became trapped in the Greater Rosharran solar system

edit2: also if you're subtly trying to imply that Sanderson is racist due to his religion I'd be more than happy to help fill in any contextual misconceptions you might have regarding LDS history, especially in regards to race, as well as the last half century of church history (during which Sanderson was born) where its all a complete nonissue.

Feel free. My understanding is that the banning of people of African descent from participating in LDS ceremonies until 1978 had a theological basis in the Curse of Cain, which has clear parallels with a group of people bearing a mark caused by the taint of darkness (sin).

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

I thought the Parshendi basically look like Darth Maul, but with some white marbling in with the black and red?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Everyone always asks about powerlevels and fights. But who will win a rap battle?

I'm pretty sure that Wit takes that one.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I vaguely remember a parshman or Parshendi being described as mostly white marbled with red, but I can't tell you where I saw it. In any case, considering how much of his work involves not judging by appearances and working together and diversity being a strength, I really don't see implicit racism in having some dark marbley dudes be (for the present) the "bad guys". Besides, there's the dark-skinned Makabaki, and they're just people too, though to be fair we haven't seen much of them.

On the subject of authorial intent, did anyone else interpret Shallan's description of her drawing as a reference to writing realistic characters? The whole thing about contrast, using dark and light so the sketch wasn't boring and had depth, etc.?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Augster posted:

I thought the Parshendi basically look like Darth Maul, but with some white marbling in with the black and red?
They're either black/red or white/red I think:

quote:

The Parshendi as observed by Alethi warriors have black or white skin[2] marbled with red and very muscular builds
(warning: spoilers inside) - http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Parshendi

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

From there:

quote:

The Parshendi appear to have a strongly developed sense of honor in battle, ignoring the wounded and vulnerable to attack the most dangerous foes.
Why do they focus on Sadeas' bridgemen in WoK then? Does tactical importance override their honor towards not attacking the vulnerable?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It's probably a question of personal combat when you're directly pitting your strength against an opponent vs long-range combat where you would attack the first or the easiest target you see.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
That's also just the wiki writers interpreting the Parshendi's tendency to go against shardbearers. Maybe it's not a sense of honor at all, they're just fearless and trying to take the biggest threat out as early as possible.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

From there:

Why do they focus on Sadeas' bridgemen in WoK then? Does tactical importance override their honor towards not attacking the vulnerable?

The parshendi are a species that only sends people to war after they've grown their skin into a suit of armour. it's not really surprising that they'd see everyone in combat as an equal target.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

subx posted:

Completely different characters in different genres of media can have similar speech patterns?!?!? The hell you say! And here I thought everything was always completely original. I can't enjoy something that might have elements that reference other things!

Anyways, Is it actually said somewhere that Zahel is Vasher? Did I miss that part? It's obvious he's something more than what he lets on, but I didn't catch that he was supposed to be a world hopper just reading the book.

Lift is Sette is Scappy Doo is why does this upset you? Dalinar is Velma. Jinkies! Sadeas is Iago (Gilbert Gottfried). Literature is about influences, and identifying possible shared influences is fun. Best example: my crossover fanfic about exactly this. I'm changing it, though, so that they tear off Wit's mask and it turns out to be an internet guy named subx and he's totally fat as hell. He would have succeeded in stealing all the shardblades if it weren't for those meddling kids.

I just read The Emperor's Soul and it was awesome.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Khizan posted:

I'm pretty sure that Wit takes that one.

Mm, point. I guess he could also get one of the Ideals we haven't seen yet. That could be cool-looking as a personalization.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tunicate posted:

Come on, it's Lift. How is this even a question?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

404GoonNotFound posted:

Come on, it's Lift. How is this even a question?

Lift vs Wit rap battle. Word.

Someone was looking for questions to ask at a signing. Maybe we need a ruling on the rap controversy.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
So I got a pretty sweet little Szeth card thingy (with some code on it), and bought a copy of steelheart to get signed (I read it on my Kindle, like I do every book nowadays).

He read an excerpt from a short story he is writing/wrote (probably on the car ride from the airport) about a world where whenever you get a disease/sickness, you also get some sort of power from it (like flying or whatever). Neat idea, and I like that he read from a unpublished book and not the book that we just bought.

3rd signing I've been to of his, though the first two were WoT signings. He seemed a lot more comfortable at this one. I still think it's great that he writes because he enjoys it, and genuinely seems to want to interact with fans.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

subx posted:

So I got a pretty sweet little Szeth card thingy (with some code on it), and bought a copy of steelheart to get signed (I read it on my Kindle, like I do every book nowadays).

He read an excerpt from a short story he is writing/wrote (probably on the car ride from the airport) about a world where whenever you get a disease/sickness, you also get some sort of power from it (like flying or whatever). Neat idea, and I like that he read from a unpublished book and not the book that we just bought.

3rd signing I've been to of his, though the first two were WoT signings. He seemed a lot more comfortable at this one. I still think it's great that he writes because he enjoys it, and genuinely seems to want to interact with fans.
Cool. Glad you had a good time.

Did you settle the rap dispute while you were there?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

subx posted:

That's a cosmere world, actually. I think it's even in the same solar system as Roshar (stormlight).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That's a cosmere world, actually. I think it's even in the same solar system as Roshar (stormlight).

Yeah. It's called Ashyn. The third planet in the system is Braize, where Odium hangs out.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Yeah. It's called Ashyn. The third planet in the system is Braize, where Odium hangs out.

So when the heralds come back from there (aka Hell) for the next desolation, you could say that they've been... braised.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

subx posted:

Completely different characters in different genres of media can have similar speech patterns?!?!? The hell you say! And here I thought everything was always completely original. I can't enjoy something that might have elements that reference other things!

I'm an artist I get influences and inspirations. When it comes to the action set pieces I think comparing them to cartoons is pretty spot on (also :krad:) I just think in this particular instance the criticism of comparing the way Sanderson writes dialogue as being "anime" is completely baseless (unless there's some japanese cartoons out there with *way* better writing than I am aware of. In my experience they typically stare at each other awkwardly while saying 2-3 words at a time)

Ranma posted:

Feel free. My understanding is that the banning of people of African descent from participating in LDS ceremonies until 1978 had a theological basis in the Curse of Cain, which has clear parallels with a group of people bearing a mark caused by the taint of darkness (sin).

Without derailing the thread (if you've got more questions or somethings unclear feel free to PM me). Also keep in mind that in the LDS church all worthy male members of the religion are ordained to the priesthood. Unfortunately there aren't many satisfying answers when it comes to this subject, but this is the history in a nutshell. From the Church's inception in 1830 until sometime after the martyrdom of Joseph Smith in 1844, the Church actually did ordain male members of African descent to the priesthood. At some point either during or shortly after the westward migration to Utah, this practice ceased. Officially it was announced in 1852 by B. Young. Heres where things get really unsatisfying. There's no official reason or recorded revelation as to why this occurred (it could be as simple as bigotry or have some pseudo religious reasoning). What is clear is that by the late 19th and early 20th centuries it was well-ingrained into the practices (as opposed to doctrines of which is has little or no support) of the church that anything short of the revelatory process would leave some members of the church disaffected. As late as the 1960's and 70's you can find statements by Church leaders however that flat out deny the "mark of cain" reasoning, which was only ever a "popular theory" to explain the otherwise inexplicable. Since 1830 all congregations have met regardless of ethnicity, and before 1852 and since 1978 all men were and are ordained based on their personal worthiness to hold the offices.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 19, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

nucleicmaxid posted:

They totally did, and it totally was epic as hell. However, I could see a similar scene easily coming out of a comic book. Comic books and anime are super similar, but anime has a really bad connotation the way that people have been using it.

I, personally, don't even like anime, I've watched one that I've enjoyed and the rest have been just awful, so it seems pejorative to keep calling it 'anime'. Especially when people are going out of their way with it to try and score a cheap hit. If you have a criticism, actually bring it up, but 'the book has some kinda extreme scenes with power glows and stuff!' is pretty much straight out of Golden/Silver Age comic books, and anime. It's just a modern way to say - dude is mother loving ripped as poo poo right now.

For me Anime is and always was Ghibli and Satoshi Kon movies (and Makoto Shinkai's), Cowboy Bebop, Moribito (coincidentally with a spear fighter as main character too) and the old stuff I saw as kid, like Heidi, Captain Future, Saber Rider and the one that is a retelling of Odysseus on a space ship. Which leaves me baffled at DBZ/Pokemon references or Super Sayan and similar stuff. Because that's not what Anime is (for me), and calling something Anime as insult seems odd considering there is really, really good Anime. Different generations of Anime watchers I guess.

The only dialogue thing that bugged me was his use of "Idiot" as go-to insult and "Wow" for surprise/awe. Which would be fine if they were 1-2 characters, giving them a distinct voice, but it was used for several different people over the course of the book, making them sound a bit similar.

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 19, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

treeboy posted:

I'm an artist I get influences and inspirations. When it comes to the action set pieces I think comparing them to cartoons is pretty spot on (also :kickinrad:) I just think in this particular instance the criticism of comparing the way Sanderson writes dialogue as being "anime" is completely baseless (unless there's some japanese cartoons out there with *way* better writing than I am aware of. In my experience they typically stare at each other awkwardly while saying 2-3 words at a time)

It's like 5-6 words but otherwise yup. Sometimes even as many as 9!

Habibi fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 19, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'll admit that I don't really have any basis to call Sanderson's dialog "anime". Other people were making the connection and I ran with it.

I guess three main things especially bother me about Sanderson's dialog.

The first is his unique sense of humor that is apparently shared by all of the characters in Roshar. I could not for the life of me distinguish between Shallan's "good" jokes and her "bad" ones, though I think her bad ones relied on puns more as opposed to just being outright insults. And that's weird because puns to me are more creative than saying, "Women run away from your face!" Haha, good one! This is also one of the reasons I don't like Wit as a character. His taking people down a peg just feels super juvenile. A good comparison is the actual "witty" dialog in "The Baroque Cycle". It may not be funny by our standards of comedy, but you can see how it was actually well thought out.

The second is his overuse of ellipses, hesitations, and pauses in speech. I guess I prefer to read, "His mouth hung open," or, "He was left speechless," to, "Uh...," or, "Um." Sanderson does the latter two a lot.

Last, I really do not like phonetic approximations of accents, especially when they parallel a real world accent. For as much as Sanderson does a great job of creating unique cultures and ethnicities that are not directly lifted from the real world, he is awful at speech patterns. Rock sounds like the worst most stereotypical Russian. More than a few characters talked with absurd cockney accents. It could just be me reading too much into the accents, but they immediately take me out of the story. I guess I like the way GRRM does it better with a smattering of colloquialisms to indicate someone has an accent. "It is known." "Just so." It's weird because Zahel does just that with his references to colors and it works perfectly, though his consternation does get overplayed.

The other thing that bothers me to a lesser degree is that everyone shares the same sense of propriety and shies away from overt references to sexuality. I don't mind that Sanderson keeps his books a clean PG-13, but it doesn't jibe with the characters constantly bickering and hurling insults at one another. It makes everything feel really plastic and also gets an eye roll because once again it's totally acceptable to have over the top violence but heaven forbid someone make a joke about male anatomy. It's baffling that the only character who came right out and said "breasts" was Lift, but it was also refreshing that at least someone acknowledged that sex was real and happened regularly. He tries to get around this by having curses unique to Roshar, but no one seems to react to them at all. Of course the opposite end of this spectrum is GRRM and I think we all agree he takes way too far the other way.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Atlas Hugged posted:

He tries to get around this by having curses unique to Roshar, but no one seems to react to them at all.

To be fair here, how often does someone actually "react" to someone using a curse in the real world? Unless it's your kid or something (A Christmas Story springs to mind), you don't really pay attention to them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

The second is his overuse of ellipses, hesitations, and pauses in speech. I guess I prefer to read, "His mouth hung open," or, "He was left speechless," to, "Uh...," or, "Um." Sanderson does the latter two a lot.

One thing you might notice with the ellipses and some other pauses in Shallan's POVs is that they are actually special in her case. She'll blank out and ignore anybody who tries to talk to her about the poo poo she went through in her home in Jah Keved, then continue on as if nothing happened. Imagine if you were talking to her and she just shuts down for an undetermined amount of time. It's fairly creepy.

I also kind of was annoyed by Rock's speech pattern, but it was all worth it for Shallan's trick Tyn made her pull on Kaladin.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ranma posted:

api call girl posted:

It's probably reaching for a bit when that entire selection was prefaced and postfaced by pointing out that Vorinism/etc. is full of poo poo.
The section before and after both deal with Kaladin, and there is no indication they have anything to do with Vorinism: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Seld

Perhaps not that specific quote if it's being used as an epigraph, but it certainly comes out of the discussions Jasnah and Shallan had through their time together, and Jasnah makes no effort to hide her disdain for Vorin/Hierocracy revisionism, pervasive and omnipresent in all material that have passed down through that time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 19, 2014

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

api call girl posted:

One thing you might notice with the ellipses and some other pauses in Shallan's POVs is that they are actually special in her case. She'll blank out and ignore anybody who tries to talk to her about the poo poo she went through in her home in Jah Keved, then continue on as if nothing happened. Imagine if you were talking to her and she just shuts down for an undetermined amount of time. It's fairly creepy.
Shallan is the girl lizard from the movie Rango.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

subx posted:

To be fair here, how often does someone actually "react" to someone using a curse in the real world? Unless it's your kid or something (A Christmas Story springs to mind), you don't really pay attention to them.

I think it depends heavily on context. People do react in the book, but only to really tame innuendo. No one cares at all if someone is dropping the equivalent of an f-bomb. It could be that everyone is so used to being around soldiers all the time that no one cares anymore.

api call girl posted:

I also kind of was annoyed by Rock's speech pattern, but it was all worth it for Shallan's trick Tyn made her pull on Kaladin.

I'll give you Shallan, but Kaladin is as guilty of it as anyone. It happened with enough frequency across POVs to annoy me.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

I agree with you about the bad jokes (even though I love puns) and the accent thing.

The innuendo thing is a little less bothersome to me because we are generally seeing the story from an Alethi frame of reference, and it is mentioned repeatedly that the Alethi are seen as prudes by a lot of other cultures. It's almost certainly handwaving by Sanderson to justify not having racier content, but it wasn't enough to break my suspension of disbelief.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'll admit that I don't really have any basis to call Sanderson's dialog "anime". Other people were making the connection and I ran with it.
Anime is a shortcut, and not necessarily a pejorative one. The reason I make the connection is that, for me, typical anime dialog (and you can replace 'anime' with 'comic book' easily enough) is characterized by actors not talking so much as proclaiming or announcing. Rather than being '2-3 words surrounded by silence,' this often results in speech patterns featuring numerous short sentences with a tendency toward somewhat jarring tonal or substantive departures from their neighbors. As a result, conversations, especially important or emotional ones (as they offer the most opportunity for drama[tic statements]) often end up....stuttering?, or coming off as stilted, rather than flowing naturally. Well, this is how Sanderson's dialogue often reads to me (although he has improved noticeably on this in Stormlight books - perhaps in part because they carry a more somber tone than the Elantris or Allomancy novels?).

In general, I think dialog is probably Sanderson's biggest weakness (second being sometimes using, IMO, pretty convoluted and contrived plot points, most guiltily to achieve the interconnectedness of story elements he is known for/ likes to have). Shallan...oh god.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 19, 2014

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I agree with you about the bad jokes (even though I love puns) and the accent thing.

The innuendo thing is a little less bothersome to me because we are generally seeing the story from an Alethi frame of reference, and it is mentioned repeatedly that the Alethi are seen as prudes by a lot of other cultures. It's almost certainly handwaving by Sanderson to justify not having racier content, but it wasn't enough to break my suspension of disbelief.
In some ways the Alethi remind me of Islamic cultures, what with the separation of the sexes, the havah and the safehand, and strictures about social propriety.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I wouldn't necessarily call the dialog anime, but the action definitely is. We have glowing auras surrounding the characters who have super powers, we have actual power up scenes. We even had a scene with Kaladin and Szeth flying around having a sword fight. It doesn't get more anime than that. But it's not said as an insult, the action scenes are generally awesome and I always enjoy "character has secret superpowers and reveals them to an audience" scenes.

But it's definitely true than Sanderson's sense of humour just... isn't very good. It's a key reason why I've never liked Shallan and still don't even after WoR (the other key reason being that Sanderson has trouble writing women with distinct narrative voices; Shallan is too similar to Vivenna, Siri, Sarene etc). You can't define a key character trait as "Shallan is really witty" and then have her "humour" be incredibly grating. It's why the inevitable Hoid/Wit book/s will be awful. Sanderson just.. isn't funny. The sooner he accepts that, the better we, he and his works will be.

Regarding phonetically written dialog, it's much less of an issue when listening to the audiobooks of Sandersons works (the only books of Sandersons I've ever actually "read" are the WoT books). He usually gets pretty good narrators, whose performance adds to the experience and eliminates a lot of the annoying writing quirks you're talking about.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Shakugan posted:

Shallan is too similar to Vivenna, Siri, Sarene

I think this extends beyond women. All of Kelsier, Raoden, and Kaladin (when he's not being clinically depressed and mopey) shared remarkably similar voices and personality traits, to me.

e: and, I mean, in any work of fiction that features so many characters and perspectives, it's no surprise to find some that sound and act alike. But as those are all central figures in their respective novels, it tends to stand out more.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 19, 2014

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Really? Kelsier and Raoden (I couldn't remember who he was at first) sounded very similar to me, but Kaladin doesn't sound anything like them, mopey or not! He's much more... serious I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

syphon posted:

Really? Kelsier and Raoden (I couldn't remember who he was at first) sounded very similar to me, but Kaladin doesn't sound anything like them, mopey or not! He's much more... serious I guess.

I can't speak to Raoden, but Kelsier and Kaladin are similar to me because of their unflinching hatred of the "upper" class (noblemen and lighteyes). They also have the same torture backstory, Kelsier's time in the Pits and Kaladin's slave-and-bridgeman time, and that seems to have an effect on their personality (shocker!)