Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BlitzBlast posted:

Char never piloted a Gouf. v:shobon:v

EDIT: Also MG Turn X prototype:

Really loving all the detail on the parts under the armor. Gonna hope that head is just a placeholder though because the thing's supposed to be a helmet over a face not a regular head with a visor.
I love everything about that... except the feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Leper Colon V posted:

I love everything about that... except the feet.

I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of the Micheal Bay transformers. Clomp clomp clomp.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm a bit surprised they'd go with something that esoteric for an RG design (though admittedly I haven't seen it in-show, so I don't know how big a thing its appearances were). It doesn't really seem like a design that would benefit from an RG inner-frame. But goddamn, just when I thought I'd gotten ahold of all the kits I want, they go and announce the Zssa Booster :allears:. As for the Skull Weapon set, I'm guessing it'll be more than just the cutlass beam sword, pistol and beam cutter/thruster things strapped to its thighs because those aren't really enough on their own to warrant a full kit. Maybe a full set of piratical weaponry in various flavours like the Matsuri (which, let's face it, was intended for the Sengoku Astray) and Hyper Weapon sets?

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/03/hgbc-1144-skull-weapon-new-images.html it looks like poo poo

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

BlitzBlast posted:

Also MG Turn X prototype:

Really loving all the detail on the parts under the armor. Gonna hope that head is just a placeholder though because the thing's supposed to be a helmet over a face not a regular head with a visor.

Man I need that kit so bad.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Char never piloted a Gouf. v:shobon:v

Between the Gelgoog and Z'gok, Char has hideous taste in MS.

On the other hand, it's progress towards an RG Gouf and an RG Ground Type.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

I like the Naginata, sabre and the little pistols, but I don't know if they're worth buying the whole ugly thing. They could have just been extras in a thing. Maybe they will be in the MG version of the Xbone?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
MS Sengoku Astray didn't include the Matsuri weapons, so it's unlikely. All of these weapon sets are pretty much just flavored System Weapons to appeal to little kids, I wouldn't think too much of them.

Totally want to grab the Battle Arms robot one day and kitbash it with the 1/550 Dendrobium to make a backpack though. You could do a lot with those arms.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

So I have actually never fully painted a kit... until this weekend.

Did the HG Victory. I'm pretty happy with the results for a relatively quick job. Need to work on brush painting parts though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The general tips for handpainting:

0. Wear gloves. Getting paint on your hands sucks, and you don't want to leave skin oil on the pieces.

1. Build up paint in layers, not all at once. (This is true for all painting).

2. With each new layer, brush perpendicular to the angle you brushed last time. This helps hide brush marks.

3. If you're using acrylics, get a natural hair brush. They're more finnicky than artificial ones, but the difference is astounding.

4. Likewise if you're using enamels, get an artificial brush. Enamels will destroy natural hair.

5. If you're using lacquers or alcohol based acrylics you're doing it wrong.

6. You don't want your brush to ever be sopping wet with paint unless you're panel lining.

7. Take care of your brush. Clean it after every use (I usually dab all the paint out of it, dip it in a small tub of iso alcohol, then shake it in a cup of water), dip it in brush shaper if you have to, and let it dry. If you treat your brush like poo poo it's going to paint like poo poo.

The neat thing about handpainting is that there's a lot of overlap with all sorts of other hobbies. Any trick somebody uses for painting, say, a wall can usually be used for painting models.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

So I have actually never fully painted a kit... until this weekend.

Did the HG Victory. I'm pretty happy with the results for a relatively quick job. Need to work on brush painting parts though.

Hey, it looks pretty good! I couldn't even tell it was hand-painted until you said so. I can't see any brush strokes.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I was hoping for that crossbow that was in one of the MG crossbone kits.

Are there any HG sets with a bow or crossbow? Only thing I'm finding are some Artemie conversion kits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HG Crossbone X1 Full Cloth is a distinct possibility, but other then that you'd have better luck looking up 3rd party stuff.

Speaking of upgrades, I'm not sure if it was intentional or just a happy coincidence, but it looks to be easy as hell to mod HG ZZ into the FA ZZ. A lot of the stuff for the G-Fortress doubles as points to attach armor.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The weapons mostly do look crap (seriously, no hand-held old-timey-looking pirate cannon?), but the sword and naginata look decent and I kinda hope those hooks fit into the PVC wrist joints for some piraty hook-hand action. The Booster pod itself looks pretty good, and it's nice to finally see another Booster kit with the full selection of attachment extras like the Build Booster. Plus the base looks like it's also a holdable pirate shield judging by the shape, and that's pretty awesome.

BlitzBlast posted:

HG Crossbone X1 Full Cloth is a distinct possibility, but other then that you'd have better luck looking up 3rd party stuff.

Speaking of upgrades, I'm not sure if it was intentional or just a happy coincidence, but it looks to be easy as hell to mod HG ZZ into the FA ZZ. A lot of the stuff for the G-Fortress doubles as points to attach armor.

There is most definitely a HG Crossbone coming, because that thruster pack in the Skull Weapon Set isn't the Maoh's...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HG Crossbone X1 was leaked last November or so. :geno:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

HG Crossbone X1 was leaked last November or so. :geno:

Shows how much I know then :v:.

Looks like there's a pair of new System Weapon sets coming as well.

System Weapon 007 nets you a bazooka and spear

System Weapon 008 gets you an LMG and a pistol that looks pretty :effort:

Granted that second's kit's barely in the 3D prototype stage though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hey, it looks pretty good! I couldn't even tell it was hand-painted until you said so. I can't see any brush strokes.

Ahhh no it's almost all airbrushed. Sorry, I didn't explain it well. I've never really painted a whole kit before, just build MGs and panel line and clear coat them, so this is a step forward for me.
The little details are hand painted though, like the exhausts and such. Thanks!

Edit : oh yeah I'm beyond psyched for that Zssa. Cannot wait.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shows how much I know then :v:.

Looks like there's a pair of new System Weapon sets coming as well.

System Weapon 007 nets you a bazooka and spear

System Weapon 008 gets you an LMG and a pistol that looks pretty :effort:

Granted that second's kit's barely in the 3D prototype stage though.

The spear looks pretty nice, basically a combination of the Striker spear and the Hyper Javelin from Unicorn. The pistol on the other hand is just the beam spray gun from the GM.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Ahhh no it's almost all airbrushed. Sorry, I didn't explain it well. I've never really painted a whole kit before, just build MGs and panel line and clear coat them, so this is a step forward for me.
The little details are hand painted though, like the exhausts and such. Thanks!

Edit : oh yeah I'm beyond psyched for that Zssa. Cannot wait.

Yeah I do the same thing, I just build MGs, panel line them with real touch markers and clear coat them. I really ought to invest in an airbrush someday. On the very rare occasions when I actually do paint things, I use spray cans.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

For things like clear coats for decals and matte coats for ...matte coating, can you eventually clean it off to paint the kit later?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

centaurette hentai posted:

I was hoping for that crossbow that was in one of the MG crossbone kits.

Are there any HG sets with a bow or crossbow? Only thing I'm finding are some Artemie conversion kits.

there is a toy of the crossbone x-1 full cloth, the one with that crossbow weapon coming out soon

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

centaurette hentai posted:

For things like clear coats for decals and matte coats for ...matte coating, can you eventually clean it off to paint the kit later?

You can strip anything with thinner, though some lacquer and enamel thinners will also destroy the plastic underneath if it's exposed for too long. Decals generally won't survive any paint stripping.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Future will cleanly wipe away with any ammonia-based cleaner (read: Windex), while typical matte coats can be scrubbed away if you soak them overnight in 90%+ iso alcohol.

If you intend to paint a kit, you should just save yourself the trouble and not topcoat it. Put the decals aside for later and just display it until you get your paints.

muike posted:

there is a toy of the crossbone x-1 full cloth, the one with that crossbow weapon coming out soon

That's the RD, which is pretty expensive.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Future will cleanly wipe away with any ammonia-based cleaner (read: Windex), while typical matte coats can be scrubbed away if you soak them overnight in 90%+ iso alcohol.

Do either of these harm the underlying plastic?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If they did I would have said it. :geno:

If Windex or rubbing alcohol was strong enough to melt plastic, I'm pretty sure people wouldn't use them for cleaning/disinfecting wounds.

EDIT: V If I sounded harsh, I'm sorry too! It's just that that's kind of an overparanoid question.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 19, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

If they did I would have said it. :geno:

Sorry. :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DigitalRaven posted:

Between the Gelgoog and Z'gok, Char has hideous taste in MS.

On the other hand, it's progress towards an RG Gouf and an RG Ground Type.

Gelgoog owns what you talkin bout son.

Just picked up MG GM custom. Something to make moon eyes at while I dick around making my marasai.

I keep picking up cheap grunt suits and I just wanna get Perfect Zeong so bad :cry:

EDIT: I am in the middle of having to do the billion little tube parts and it is loving hell there are the worst please bandai make them all one part it's okay really.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 19, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Every now and then, I realize a poseability option that I'll never know how I missed before. Today, I realized the Gouf shield can be rotated, which makes it look way less ridiculous when being used to, y'know, shield. I also realized the other day that the Zaku arm can bend a lot further than I'd given it credit for, so it actually can hold its bazooka in a firing pose after all! And the Zaku MG can be held under the arm, which allows a much more natural firing pose than when I'd previously tried to have the shoulder stock flush with the shoulder (though that is possible with some finagling).

Also, you can stick a beam saber blade into a beam spray gun/beam rifle to get a firing effect without buying a kit for it.

Can't wait to see what kind of poses I can get out of the RX-78 3.0 :getin:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

The spear looks pretty nice, basically a combination of the Striker spear and the Hyper Javelin from Unicorn. The pistol on the other hand is just the beam spray gun from the GM.

I'm sure it'll be decent by the time it's near release, the reason I just described it with :effort: is because just a choice of barrels and stocks is pretty basic compared to the fairly large variety of customization options the other System Weapons have.

Just for comparison, This is what's in System Weapon kits 001-005

On the subject of Builders Parts stuff, Any chance the MS Launcher 01 is going to be in colour/have stickers included, or is it just one of those generic grey "paint it yourself" jobs?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Supposing someone were to want decals other than Gundam ones, like Swat or Riot cop decals, where would they be gotten?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

The Missing Link posted:

Supposing someone were to want decals other than Gundam ones, like Swat or Riot cop decals, where would they be gotten?

The obvious answer would be scale military kits, but I don't really know what kind of sites you'd go to or keywords to search for that. You might also try looking for Patlabor decals, though? I didn't look hard, and this isn't a great choice, but here's at least some "police" ones:

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/easy-decals/easy-758

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What are the 00 season HG main suits like apart from the exia?

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
The Kyrios is pretty bad due to it's whole gimmick leading to the kit having all kinds of shortcomings(and it has a deceptively crappy transformation to begin with) The Cherudim is OK but it does feel it's bulk in some parts, especially the legs. and the Dynames is... actually pretty great, especially with a coat of paint. The shield connection is kind of touchy but overall it's a pretty nice kit. The closest thing to another main suit is the Flag/overflag, which has some neat little ideas but has very few polycaps, making the leg and arm joints very limited, and the GN-X which is one of the best of the bunch that evolved into a bunch of great kits in S2 (while the Flag 'evolved' into the equally fragile and gimmicky Susano-o line). I can't speak for Teirans but they look solid enough.

There's a lot of interesting choices throughout the line, and all of the kits are pretty cheap! Though I've never got a 00 kit that topped the Exia in terms of quality, it's a seriously great HG.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Every now and then, I realize a poseability option that I'll never know how I missed before. Today, I realized the Gouf shield can be rotated, which makes it look way less ridiculous when being used to, y'know, shield. I also realized the other day that the Zaku arm can bend a lot further than I'd given it credit for, so it actually can hold its bazooka in a firing pose after all! And the Zaku MG can be held under the arm, which allows a much more natural firing pose than when I'd previously tried to have the shoulder stock flush with the shoulder (though that is possible with some finagling).

Yeah, the MG Zaku II 2.0 actually has two tabs on its hands - one for a normal, level firing pose, and another at an angle so you can have the bazooka over the shoulder.

DamnGlitch posted:

EDIT: I am in the middle of having to do the billion little tube parts and it is loving hell there are the worst please bandai make them all one part it's okay really.

I love mono-eye suits but I loving hate doing individual cable links. I just built a Gelgoog and I was overjoyed that there were no cables at all.

Right now I'm building a Qubeley, and since it's an older kit, it's much simpler and is going by a lot faster than usual. There aren't as many separate parts.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Is that weapon set 7 bazooka the sinanju one? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

Is that weapon set 7 bazooka the sinanju one? :ohdear:

Far as I can tell from a bit of googling for comparison, yes it is. If it doesn't look close enough for your liking, there's probably parts to remedy that.

Luminaflare posted:

What are the 00 season HG main suits like apart from the exia?

I only have the Seravee from season 2, but it's a great and solid kit. You won't be doing big dramatic poses with it because it's a chunky motherfucker, but it'll hold the GN bazooka in both hands without drooping and holds the separated cannons in each hand just fine. The Seraphim's worth getting as well, if only to replace the fake Seraphim backpack the Seravee comes with. If you want to get a Seravee, get the Seravee GNHW/B, it comes with a few extra bits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Divine Orator posted:

There's a lot of interesting choices throughout the line, and all of the kits are pretty cheap! Though I've never got a 00 kit that topped the Exia in terms of quality, it's a seriously great HG.

Are you talking about the 1/100s? As far as 00 HGs, the S2 Gundams were by far superior to the S1 kits. Exia in particular is miles behind the 00, which to this day is one of the outright best HGs in existence.

Honestly HG Exia is pretty crappy all things considered. Waaaay too much missing colors, proportions are iffy, kind of unstable, the whole nine yards.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Are you talking about the 1/100s? As far as 00 HGs, the S2 Gundams were by far superior to the S1 kits. Exia in particular is miles behind the 00, which to this day is one of the outright best HGs in existence.

What's the quality like on the HG Virtue, out of curiosity?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Uhhh alright? It's about as posable as you'd expect (though the foot gets a surprisingly nice range of motion), and even the manual puts it on an AB2 before doing its cannon pose. As far as the S1 Gundams HGs go it's probably the best, if only because it actually gives you beam saber blades and doesn't totally rely on stickers for its color separation, but that's kind of a low bar. Arms had an inner frame too so they were strong enough to carry around the weapons.

EDIT: Oh wait no, it had even more stickers than the other 00 S1 Gundams. I just forgot that since it's mostly black and white.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 19, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly HG Exia is pretty crappy all things considered. Waaaay too much missing colors, proportions are iffy, kind of unstable, the whole nine yards.

I don't know if it's just me, since no one else seems to bring it up, but I hated the way the blue sides of the torso, which come around the front with the vents over the chest gem, we fitted. Really loose socket and I couldn't even see why,bit seems like it would be better if it was just a stable clip to either side of the chest. Didn't like the long white plastic beam saber either. And the big sticker over the shield was awful, and the way it fit to the arm.

Hopefully I will have fewer issues with the Dark Matter, once I've seen reviews. It has a new shield for one thing, and since some of the other problem details are changed, hopefully those will get fixed too. The backpack looks cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Yeah, I meant the season 1 suits, I just missed the number when posting somehow.

Either way Dynames and Virtue were the ones I was considering. I like the Kyrios but I just don't see such a spindly suit pulling off a transformation at HG quality and previous posts kind of confirmed my suspicions about that.

• Locked thread