Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm curious to know why you'd even bother to go physical. A purely digital distribution would be a very simple thing to do and being on Steam guarantee's you decent sales, is there really enough of a market for physical copies left to make this attractive?

Physical fulfillment meaning backer rewards maybe?

I also believe the physical PC market is alive and well in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

lordfrikk posted:

Something like Harry Potter meets Bully.

I'd play the poo poo out of that game.

Also, someone needs to make a game like Bully. Loved that game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
These days I'd only buy a physical PC game if it included a proper manual, not the dinky crap we get nowadays but a goddamn volume filled with descriptions of lore,spells and abilities.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sylphosaurus posted:

These days I'd only buy a physical PC game if it included a proper manual, not the dinky crap we get nowadays but a goddamn volume filled with descriptions of lore,spells and abilities.

Spiral-bound with Tim Cain recipes in the back. Just like the good old days!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Kibayasu posted:

Physical fulfillment meaning backer rewards maybe?

I also believe the physical PC market is alive and well in Europe.
Yes and yes.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fintilgin posted:

Spiral-bound with Tim Cain recipes in the back. Just like the good old days!

It's not a proper BI/Troika game if it doesn't have a Tim Cain recipe. Hell, throw in a complete cookbook of Glanfathan themed Tim Cain recipes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Disco Infiva posted:

It's not a proper BI/Troika game if it doesn't have a Tim Cain recipe. Hell, throw in a complete cookbook of Glanfathan themed Tim Cain recipes.

The original Soul Food.

:rimshot:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Tim already wrote his recipe book btw.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Bleh, I donated good money to have Feargus sit in the Obsidian basement stuffing cloth maps and t-shirts into boxes for weeks on end, sobbing quietly the entire time.

Here's the press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fignwDZy-SI

"We're partnering with Obsidian Entertainment to bring, first of all, Pillars of Eternity to market" :raise:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Does that actually noticeably change anything for kickstarter backers ?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So there is still some second kickstarter project coming right? Did Avellone speak yet or what

Kuiperdolin posted:

no

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kuiperdolin posted:

What could it possibly change?

Obsidian's next Kickstarter will be to have Avellone finish the playthrough of Arcanum. :mad:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Kuiperdolin posted:

Your physical goods will have been touched by swedes, rather than the holy hands of obsidian employees.

Lawsuit?

Honestly, having a publisher for the literal box printing, cd burning and physical shop distribution makes sense. The idea was to do a game without the problems / shackles a publisher brings. This achieves that just fine. Who cares if a second name goes on the box / in the credits? With the publishers merely publishing not backing the game the balance of power is firmly on obsidians side. I'm sure most publishers would happily take a cut of box sales in exchange for making and distributing said boxes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scorchy posted:

"We're partnering with Obsidian Entertainment to bring, first of all, Pillars of Eternity to market" :raise:
Crusader Kings: The RPG please.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Scorchy posted:

Probably future partnership in other projects.
Oh God, it's gonna be weird for a while to see both Obsidian and Paradox logo at the same time. For me they always represented different kind of games that I played (RPG and Grand Strategy).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Masonity posted:

Your physical goods will have been touched by swedes

I'm pretty sure that's an entirely different kind of kickstarter :heysexy:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
If the lore and maps on Dyrwood, etc, are detailed enough it should be possible to straight up mod the whole continent into CK2 :spergin:

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 20, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Accordion Man posted:

Crusader Kings: The RPG please.

Getting hyped for the worst UI known to man

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

First of all, I LOVE obsidian AND paradox but the idea of understanding the worst UI of history after several hours and THEN getting a crash to desktop is making me laugh over and over.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shadeoses posted:

If the lore and maps on Dyrwood, etc, are detailed enough it should be possible to straight up mod the whole continent into CK2 :spergin:

Given the time period of PoE should I start studying CK2 or EU4 modding?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think that's true. I mean, it might be true for some backers, even the majority of them, but look at how the press is covering it. Both Eurogamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun acted flabbergasted, and honestly, while most seem to have taken it well, there were plenty of negative reactions on the Obsidian forums, NeoGAF, Eurogamer comments, etc. It's no skin off my nose, but as a developer you have to tread carefully.

Yeah but the press insisted that South Park was incredibly buggy because it's more about what gives good story and about established narratives. I haven't really seen any outcry except from journalists who seem to be predicting that there's going to be a backlash that hasn't materialized.

Lugaloco posted:

Why is the head image a Skyrim screenshot? This interview is a bit bananas.

The same shot was used in an interview where one of Obsidian's post-PoE project ideas was compared to Skyrim in terms of stuff like quest structure. So it's probably tagged as being a PoE shot. It's also a fairly hostile interview so I wouldn't be surprised if the guy just grabbed a random shot on the way to publishing it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Given the time period of PoE should I start studying CK2 or EU4 modding?
EU4 seeing is that Eternity is going through a Renaissance.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Accordion Man posted:

EU4 seeing is that Eternity is going through a Renaissance.

But actually CK2, for full Elven second-spouse simulation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Basic Chunnel posted:

Did you already make that joke? I swear someone already made that exact joke.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Masonity posted:

Your physical goods will have been touched by swedes, rather than the holy hands of obsidian employees.

Lawsuit?

Honestly, having a publisher for the literal box printing, cd burning and physical shop distribution makes sense. The idea was to do a game without the problems / shackles a publisher brings. This achieves that just fine. Who cares if a second name goes on the box / in the credits? With the publishers merely publishing not backing the game the balance of power is firmly on obsidians side. I'm sure most publishers would happily take a cut of box sales in exchange for making and distributing said boxes.

As long as my box still gets signed Sawyer, Avellone, Cain and co. I don't care who ends up posting it to me. If they cheat and just do a print of their signatures on the box I'll probably make some sort of disappointed noise.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm curious to know why you'd even bother to go physical. A purely digital distribution would be a very simple thing to do and being on Steam guarantee's you decent sales, is there really enough of a market for physical copies left to make this attractive?

Man the cloth map is where it's all out.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm really leaning towards Druid for my first playthrough now, and I never play hippie nature types. So, congrats Obsidian and ropekid, you've done it again.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

http://aw.my.com/

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

Hmm.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Well, that's... certainly nothing close to what I was expecting. I'll reserve judgment for now, but unless it's got a normal Obsidian-level story to it, I can't see what'll set it apart from other tank games.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You know, it's kinda ludicrous that the "World of Tanks but modern" idea hadn't occurred to me till now

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Well, that's... certainly nothing close to what I was expecting. I'll reserve judgment for now, but unless it's got a normal Obsidian-level story to it, I can't see what'll set it apart from other tank games.

It's a f2p mmo, I doubt the story is gonna be why people play it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Looks like it's backed by the start-up U.S. subsidiary of some giant Russian internet company.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If that's real, I can see why they didn't make a big deal out of announcing it.

That said it seems sketch as gently caress

*e oh my God it's real. The cancellation of that next-gen project made Obsidz even more desperate than we realized

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 20, 2014

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Well I really wasn't expecting that! :v:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I hope it becomes an enormously successful cash cow that funds gently caress You: Suck My Dick: The Josh Sawyer Dream RPG.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

What the gently caress? Is this the MMO Obsidian was contracted for assistance on? I assume they're just lending 'idle' art team members or something?

Most underwhelming/revolting 'next product' reveal ever.

:confused:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Seriously, how bleak is it that Obsidian is working on two Russian MMOs, neither of which make use of their self-proclaimed strengths as an RPG developer.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

What the gently caress? Is this the MMO Obsidian was contracted for assistance on? I assume they're just lending 'idle' art team members or something?

Most underwhelming 'next product' reveal ever.

:confused:

Well, if you go check out other "My.com" projects, there's another standard fantasy MMO called Skyforge and the Obsidian logo is down at the bottom of the page. Might just be using their engine for that though, either way its a weird relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
what

• Locked thread