Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

revmoo posted:

I've been curious about this kind of scenario and the results. Can you make a successful claim against someone's insurance because they ran you off the road into something? I actually had this happen to me once but I figured their insurance would laugh me off. Now I would just let them hit me to make sure to get covered.

It's hard. If there is a dispute the insurance company is highly likely to side with their driver and tell you to pound sand. Depending on the police report it may not help much either - if the report is simply one driver saying the other ran him off the road, and the officers narrative can't prove anything, it'd likely be the same situation.

In some cases and states though, this type of claim may fall under UMPD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How does someone force you off the road? The correct thing to do is maintain your lane integrity and let them hit you if you cannot slow down enough to avoid the accident. You swerving off the road is your own fault. Defensive driving though keeps you out of those situations if you maintain your no dent space.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
I was the person you share the road with. I passed someone on the right going 44 in a 45 in the left hand lane. It was just the two of us for 100 feet and I was late to work :negative:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

skylineboy08 posted:

I was the person you share the road with. I passed someone on the right going 44 in a 45 in the left hand lane. It was just the two of us for 100 feet and I was late to work :negative:

You animal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Elephanthead posted:

How does someone force you off the road? The correct thing to do is maintain your lane integrity and let them hit you if you cannot slow down enough to avoid the accident. You swerving off the road is your own fault. Defensive driving though keeps you out of those situations if you maintain your no dent space.

Sometimes its better to make a controlled crash than let someone do it for you. Three years ago I had some rear end clown in a mid-90s Silverado decide he was going to change lanes at an interchange at the last possible second when he was right next to me. I swerved to miss the collision, but I bounced off of one of those shock absorbers they put in front of a bridge embankment. Had I just stood my ground and let him sideswipe me I would have stood a pretty good chance of nailing the absorber head on at highway speed. In my case it was the difference between walking away from a fender bender and severe injury/death.

Also in my experience just letting someone hit you is a good way to get a no-fault (:eng101: same as at-fault for insurance purposes) on your record because unless you hand the responding officer a gift-wrapped pile of evidence they're likely to just throw their hands in the air and say they can't rule who was at fault.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 19, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Elephanthead posted:

I had a prius try to ram into the front passenger corner of my jeep several times at speed. It didn't matter that I was backing off or going at speed, this loving poo poo wouldn't leave me the gently caress alone. It's scary as gently caress when it happens, because you aren't expecting something straight out of a movie chase scene.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Good job to the SUV I was following on my way to lunch today. He was following a Prius. The Prius stopped for an upcoming fire truck that was going to turn into the street in front of us. SUV wasn't paying attention, nearly rear ended the Prius, swerved into the left lane barely slowing, and barreled through the intersection just as the fire truck was beginning its turn, swerving back to the right out of instinct.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This is making the rounds, but yeah it's funny (and probably not real)

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That is so beautiful. I want to believe.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skylineboy08 posted:

You are a bad person and should feel bad. I think you need to give up your driving privileges and only drive ox carts from now on. :colbert:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

You are a bad person and should feel bad. I think you need to give up your driving privileges and only drive ox carts from now on. :colbert:

Why do you want to punish him by making him drive a Mustang?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

I was thinking Corvettes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MikeyTsi posted:

:confused:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those are all wheel drive but gutless as gently caress, I mean seriously, 1 horsepower?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Those are all wheel drive but gutless as gently caress, I mean seriously, 1 horsepower?

The low gearing helps on rough terrain. Also you can pet it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

And that suspension articulation :swoon:

Just gotta watch out for potholes gopher holes.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

And that suspension articulation :swoon:

Just gotta watch out for potholes gopher holes.

Sure the articulation is great, but as you implied the suspension in general is not very durable. Plus if you do break anything you've pretty much totaled it, those suspension components might as well be non-replaceable with the way they're welded directly to the unibody.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Nah, they're fixable, but you're never going to want to pony up the money for it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Besides you can make good money parting it out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chinatown posted:

The emissions, however...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PainterofCrap posted:

Biodegradable, within a week it is gone. And can be used on the garden.

Although some used sump oil is good on weeds

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

No inspection or congestion fees though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I hear engineers are developing machines that can harness the awesome power of the horse for transportation.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A 1200 pound horse walking up an hill at 1 foot/second is generating 2HP :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ratbert90 posted:

A 1200 pound horse walking up an hill at 1 foot/second is generating 2HP :colbert:

Yeah, but they generate 600lb*ft of all-leg torque, vs about 150 2-leg lb*ft for a large-ish man. Incidentally, a 2 HP horse's powerplant only rotates at 17 RPM; although smaller and typically more fuel efficient, the man would have to sustain 70 RPM to generate the same power, which negates the economy advantage.

Plus they're biofuel-ready from the factory.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ror posted:

I hear engineers are developing machines that can harness the awesome power of the horse for transportation.

What is this bizarre thing?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nitrox posted:

A horse?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nitrox posted:

Half-million dollar horse training rig.

quote:

The horse isn't pulling the four-and-a-half-ton, $427,000 vehicle. Rather, the vehicle keeps pace with the animal, and trainers fit the horse with equipment such as an electrocardiogram machine, oxygen masks and movement sensors to monitor its performance. They can then subtly regulate the horse's speed for optimal training.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Just be careful not to feed them large quantities of Beefarino.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

ratbert90 posted:

That's not a punishment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's a sled and not a cart, though...

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

That's a sled and not a cart, though...

You're thinking of SR-71. Mahmoud is referring to A-12, CIA's Project Oxcart. The one-man plane that was the predecessor of SR-71.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Galler posted:

Besides you can make good money parting it out.
Superior German adhesives my rear end.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
jesus all i did was scumpass someone on the right and it was worth all these posts? i know goons are bored but drat.\

e: :v:

skylineboy08 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 20, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

skylineboy08 posted:

jesus all i did was scumpass someone on the right and it was worth all these posts? i know goons are bored but drat.

We were taking the piss out of you for posting about passing a slow moron on the right as if it was a serious offense that should be looked on with shame. Yeah, it's not technically ok to do but if I never passed on the right my commute would take about 20 minutes longer. Yesterday I passed 3 people in a 5 mile stretch who were all going 5+ mph under the limit in the left lane and would not move over. Fucks given: zero.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
i fixed it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For some reason I always interpret "passing on the right" as driving on the shoulder or turn lane to get around a car.

On a multilane highway use whatever lane you need to to get around someone. It would sure be nice if the left lane was properly reserved for passing, but given how many ignorant drivers there are out there there's no shame in using whatever lane is available to get around a pylon.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The real treat is when you pass them and do something (like switch back into the left lane) that makes them mad so now they follow at 80mph just to make sure they get a chance to give you the finger.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ever been behind one of those drivers whose speed fluctuates +/-10 mph for no good reason, so you go to pass them thinking they're on their phone or loving around with something or whatever, but...nope! They're looking straight ahead, hands at 10 and 2, focused intently on the road in front of them. It's almost worse that way. At least that would explain their senseless changes in speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The Midniter posted:

Ever been behind one of those drivers whose speed fluctuates +/-10 mph for no good reason, so you go to pass them thinking they're on their phone or loving around with something or whatever, but...nope! They're looking straight ahead, hands at 10 and 2, focused intently on the road in front of them. It's almost worse that way. At least that would explain their senseless changes in speed.

This is normal driving in a lifted Jeep as you turn into and out of the wind or go up and down hills :ohdear: I'm who you share the road with.