Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

IRQ posted:

I know it's niche as hell and all, but $65 is a lot for one book.

I got it off Amazon for about 25 bucks. I think that's just if you want it signed and with the zine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Monkeytime posted:

I got it off Amazon for about 25 bucks. I think that's just if you want it signed and with the zine.

Haha, I'm stupid today. I just clicked the link at the bottom of that article someone posted and never thought to check Amazon.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
New Agalloch single.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

That guitar work is loving unreal.

I don't know how they're going to top Marrow of the Spirit, but this is sounding really good.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
those loving drums :aaaaa:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The new Sargeist album sounds promising.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 20, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know it's 16 years old but why did nobody tell me how great Diabolical Masquerade was? I've been checking out Dan Swano projects lately because I love Edge of Sanity and Nightwork is flooring me right now.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The new Sargeist album sounds promising.

I'm definitely going to give it a few more listens since Let the Devil In is one of my favorite BM records, but I'm really not digging the recording. Sargeist has always had such strong melodies but everything on the new album is so awash in noise that I've had to listen for the bass (which thankfully is audible) to even figure out what key the song is in. The guitars and cymbals are EQ'd in such a way that they simply create a wall of tinny static. I know it's black metal and everything but I'd like to hear the guitar work.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

X-Post from the vinyl thread.

New stuff came in:

new Teitanblood at the top, Cult of Fire and Cirrhus on the bottom

Cirrhus LP is dope, big time Transilvanian Hunger vibes. Although I think a ton of awesome BM is coming out right now, not a lot of bands around are aping that early lo-fi Norwegian sound as well as these dudes. Top notch.

Lots of talk about Teitanblood already, easily fav. album of 2014 so far and it's gonna be hard to top.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Jesus christ, first I've heard of Teitanblood and I'm very impressed.

I have a question: what other bands should I check out if I like Horseback? I guess they're not strictly black metal, but I love their style and haven't heard much other stuff like that out there. Panopticon has the folksy Americana thing going on, but that's all I know about so far.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Blackened Hip hop? well as you know ted I'm very cynical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MKVEquPyxY

But I like this

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Where's the blackened part?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

dk2m posted:

Jesus christ, first I've heard of Teitanblood and I'm very impressed.

I have a question: what other bands should I check out if I like Horseback? I guess they're not strictly black metal, but I love their style and haven't heard much other stuff like that out there. Panopticon has the folksy Americana thing going on, but that's all I know about so far.

There's basically nothing out there like Horseback that I've found, they are only black metal-related in the loosest sense and in general they have such a weird blend of influences that I'm not sure anyone has reduplicated it. Blood Bright Star and (occasionally) Aluk Todolo remind me of the sound of The Invisible Mountain, but neither in a very interesting way, and both are even less blackened than Horseback. The new Thou record is scratching a similar extreme vox + plodding bluesy riffs itch for me, but to compare Thou and Horseback in general would be a stretch.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

skasion posted:

There's basically nothing out there like Horseback that I've found, they are only black metal-related in the loosest sense and in general they have such a weird blend of influences that I'm not sure anyone has reduplicated it. Blood Bright Star and (occasionally) Aluk Todolo remind me of the sound of The Invisible Mountain, but neither in a very interesting way, and both are even less blackened than Horseback. The new Thou record is scratching a similar extreme vox + plodding bluesy riffs itch for me, but to compare Thou and Horseback in general would be a stretch.

Not to mention Horseback's new album, Piedmont Apocrypha, all but does away with the black metal influence. It sounds like Earth and Current 93 jamming together.

Speaking of which, listen to Piedmont Apocrypha.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

xutech posted:

But I like this

lmao

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

xutech posted:

But I like this

Meatwad rappin' in Hell

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I just found out about Leper, who play a pretty idiosyncratic mix of black metal, grindcore, and ska. (At least, I haven't heard anyone else doing the same thing.) They kick loving rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csQlMsB-JqE

I've only heard the album "End Progress" so far because I haven't heard good things about their older work.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 28, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Why have I not checked out The Axis of Perdition sooner, they're pretty much exactly what I want "industrial black metal" to sound like :eyepop:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Cobweb Heart posted:

I just found out about Leper, who play a pretty idiosyncratic mix of black metal, grindcore, and ska. (At least, I haven't heard anyone else doing the same thing.) They kick loving rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csQlMsB-JqE

I've only heard the album "End Progress" so far because I haven't heard good things about their older work.

haaha this is just as corny as Le Scrawl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTIMnn30bw

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

Why have I not checked out The Axis of Perdition sooner, they're pretty much exactly what I want "industrial black metal" to sound like :eyepop:

Their later stuff is a bit more "Sileny Hill" sounding, though still good. That first album though is some great evil noise. I finally snagged a legit copy from Oxfam a few years ago and it's on my list of "yes I do just listen to utter ear splitting noise" albums. :black101:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New Diocletian track is a ripper. It sounds a bit more measured than the stuff on Doom Cult though (I never actually checked out War of All Against All). https://soundcloud.com/osmoseproductions/steel-jaws

Also this new Schammasch track sounds pretty good, but I'm not sure of the last time that a black metal double album actually managed to hold my interest the entire way through. http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/exclusive-swiss-metallers-schammash-unveil-a-track-from-their-epic-new-album/

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

quote:

Century Media has announced the ultimate box set (anthology) of ULVER. This release will present the formative (metal) years of Ulver, and its title is Trolsk Sortmetall 1993-1997.

It will contain the albums Bergtatt (1994), Kveldssanger (1995) and Nattens Madrigal (1996), collectively known as The Trilogie – Three Journeyes Through The Norwegian Netherworlde (released under this title as a 1000 limited edition triple picture vinyl box set in 1997).

Additional contents will be the band’s rudimentary but legendary demo tape Vargnatt (1993) plus the rare compilation track ‘Synen’ (Cthulhu Records 1997) as well as a recently unearthed 4-track rehearsal recording of tracks from Nattens Madrigal, which have been a well-kept secret until this very day.

With the exception of Nattens Madrigal, which is still the ferocious sounding black beast it always was, but now has a slightly more compassionate re-mastering courtesy of Tom Kvalsvoll at Strype Audio, Oslo, all the material has been carefully and considerably re-mastered to analog tape by Jaime Gomes Arellano in Orgone Studios, London and consulted by Ulver’s mastermind Kristoffer Rygg.

Mark Pilkington, of Strange Attractor Press UK, will be supplying liner notes offering a hermetic look into the early history and histrionics of Ulver, whilst Jon `Metalion` Kristiansen, author and publisher of Slayer Mag and founder of Head Not Found Records (where Bergtatt and Kveldssanger were originally released), will write his personal reminiscence about his relations with this massively influential band.

Trolsk Sortmetall 1993–1997 will be released as a brazen 5-CD box set with a canvas-bound slipcase and 100+ page booklet as well as a 4LP box (plus cassette). The entire layout will be done by Metastazis, Paris, who has previously worked with Ulver and has for this design been given access to lots of never before seen archival material.

With a total playing time of nearly three hours, Trolsk Sortmetall 1993-1997 is bound to become an essential epitome documenting the nascent days of these Norwegian (black) metal luminaries.

Important note from Century Media: “As many of you might have noticed, the albums Bergtatt and Kveldssanger have recently been bootlegged on vinyl, allegedly by two European labels (one from Belgium, one from the Netherlands). Those bootlegs both look and sound sub par. We highly advise you not to spend a single penny on any of those rip-off releases. If you are one of those who have been waiting patiently for these classic albums to finally get released on high quality vinyl, please wait for a few more months and get the definitive official editions instead, fully supported by the band. We guarantee you good things come to those who wait!”

Complete details to follow.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Guess this is the year of the re-issue.

CD only.
CD & ugly T.

e: Dissection vinyl re-issues.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 11, 2014

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm not gonna lie, I'm genuinely excited to rebuy Ulver releases I already own.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

cryme posted:

haaha this is just as corny as Le Scrawl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTIMnn30bw

I could see this working well if the juxtaposition wasn't so off-putting.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The new Thantifaxath record is now streaming in full here, and available for immediate digital download if you dig it. I'm yet to give it a spin because I feel like I have a million albums to listen to at the moment. http://www.stereogum.com/1674636/stream-thantifaxath-sacred-white-noise-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/album-stream/

In other news, the Black Monolith album is available for $1 on Bandcamp. Sounds like raw BM with a crust/hardcore influence, which I'm enjoying a lot. https://blackmonolith.bandcamp.com/album/passenger

Also, the new Possession single on Iron Bonehead/Invictus is a ripper. The demo was promising, but this shows that they can do something with a bit of atmosphere, as well as writing great black/thrash songs that sound like they've come straight from the 90s. Will be interesting to see what they do on their next release. http://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp.com/album/possession-anneliese

Anyone got any other recs from 2014 so far? I hear good things about Enthroned from a few people, but I've never actually listened.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I relly liked Hail Spirit Noi - Oi Magoi, but it's arguably not a black metal record.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Oi Magoi is a great album for a more psychedelic twist. Other than the big releases from Behemoth and Teitanblood, I've really liked the new records from Kampfar, Kriegsmaschine, Waldgefluster, Woods of Desolation, and Murmur.

If you wanna try something a little weirder, check out Ghost Bath.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nomapple posted:

Anyone got any other recs from 2014 so far? I hear good things about Enthroned from a few people, but I've never actually listened.

I think I've already talked about it, but the new Cirrhus LP is great. It technically was released at the end of december in 2013, but whatever. Haven't listened to the new Sargeist yet, and everything else is basically time filler until new poo poo from Diocletian and Bolzer come out.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
The Great Old Ones' latest album is excellent, great follow up to Al-Azif which was one of my favourite 2012 releases.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

kirkjames posted:

I think I've already talked about it, but the new Cirrhus LP is great. It technically was released at the end of december in 2013, but whatever. Haven't listened to the new Sargeist yet, and everything else is basically time filler until new poo poo from Diocletian and Bolzer come out.

I keep forgetting about this, but it sounds like the sort of thing I'd like. I'll get on it.

apophenium posted:

Oi Magoi is a great album for a more psychedelic twist. Other than the big releases from Behemoth and Teitanblood, I've really liked the new records from Kampfar, Kriegsmaschine, Waldgefluster, Woods of Desolation, and Murmur.

If you wanna try something a little weirder, check out Ghost Bath.

Kriegsmaschine is getting a lot of play time here. Woods of Desolation was a bit of a letdown for me, personally.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nomapple posted:

The new YAITW just went up for pre-order. It ships next month. Based on the sample track, it's gonna kick much rear end.

So, apparently they did a video too.

Edit: for video

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 15, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The new YAITW just went up for pre-order. It ships next month. Based on the sample track, it's gonna kick much rear end.

YAITW owns so god damned much. Hometown heroes.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Yeah that track is an absolute ripper. Can't wait to hear the whole thing. I wish Deathwish still gave you an immediate digital download of the full album with your preorder.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Goddamn, that track is killer.

In other exciting news, there will be a new Black Anvil album in late May:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GWglmpi6k

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
Listened to the new Nasheim. It is good.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Looking for stuff in the vein of...

Irrwisch - link
Ygg - link
and Walknut - link

Bleak, atmospheric pagan poo poo :black101:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Wyrd, possibly?

I immediately thought of Striborg which is bleak and foresty, but also not really enjoyable in the normal sense.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Wyrd, Striborg

I'll dig into it, liking what I've heard of Wyrd so far. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Not quite as raw as Walknut, but definitely atmospheric, pagan-y BM: http://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/against-this-weald

Probably more melodic than what you posted, but still relevant: http://krigsgrav.bandcamp.com/album/lux-capta-est