Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rexides posted:

Do you and your brother go on to have amazing adventures and do fulfilling activities together when not watching Community? If not, then just watch season 4, it's not such a huge deal, seriously.

In other words "Your time has no value. Your life, no meaning. You're just like us: sitting around, waiting to die. Might as well watch season 4."

Edit: Its pretty telling that the two biggest reasons people can come up with to watch season 4 are existential boredom and perceived obligation. Not "its funny" or "its good," just "what else you gonna do?"

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

In other words "Your time has no value. Your life, no meaning. You're just like us: sitting around, waiting to die. Might as well watch season 4."

:rolleyes: It applies equally well to all other seasons. It's a passive activity, if you sit down to watch three seasons of a show and you also plan to watch the fifth anyway, I honestly don't see why you would even bother to weight the opportunity costs of watching/not watching it against whatever it is that you could do with your time instead.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Skip the puppet episode, it's the worst one ever.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Irish Joe posted:

Edit: Its pretty telling that the two biggest reasons people can come up with to watch season 4 are existential boredom and perceived obligation. Not "its funny" or "its good," just "what else you gonna do?"

If it helps, the biggest argument for me in favor of watching is your vehement hatred of it.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

ladyboy pancake posted:

Hi thread, I've been introducing my younger brother to Community over the last couple months, and we just finished season three together. The plan was we would skip most of season 4 with the exception of of the good ones that this thread has mentioned, but my brother is completely in love with Troy and isn't ready to see him go in season five. To be honest, I'd like to see him (and Pierce) for a little bit longer too. My question is, how much of season four is just ho-hum compared to absolutely terrible? If we were to watch most of the season, are there any episodes we should avoid like the plague?

I absolutely hated “Alternative History Of The German Invasion” and “Advanced Introduction To Finality”. ALHotGI is just boring, unfunny, and completely missable; it's the only episode of Community I'd call a chore to watch. AItF is a terrible mess, but you'll probably want to watch it since Season 5 directly follows up on that episode's ending.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Action Man posted:

I absolutely hated “Alternative History Of The German Invasion” and “Advanced Introduction To Finality”. ALHotGI is just boring, unfunny, and completely missable; it's the only episode of Community I'd call a chore to watch. AItF is a terrible mess, but you'll probably want to watch it since Season 5 directly follows up on that episode's ending.

The Germans episodes has what Harmon and I agree is the best joke ever, "Hogan's Villains", so maybe that's worth something?

And watch the Freaky Friday episode, it owns.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Germans episodes has what Harmon and I agree is the best joke ever, "Hogan's Villains", so maybe that's worth something?

And watch the Freaky Friday episode, it owns.

That is a good joke, but it's stranded in what I'd argue is the worst episode of the show.

I also vote for the Freaky Friday episode.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

You are a literal insane person. It is not like the options are "See the world" or "watch Community Season 4" and you can only pick one. If they are invested in the characters it is a few more hours and its not destroying a significant chunk of their life to watch it.

ladyboy pancake, if you have already gone through 70 episodes, it really won't hurt to watch the 13 in season 4, maybe skipping "Intro to Felt Surrogacy". I would also skip "Conventions of Space and Time' but that has some heavy Troy/Abed stuff so if your brother likes Troy you might want to watch it. Just warn him about the show runner change and that stuff does feel different.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I invest in stocks. You invest in fictional characters.

And I'm the crazy one.

Guy A. Person posted:

ladyboy pancake, if you have already gone through 70 episodes, it really won't hurt to watch the 13 in season 4, maybe skipping "Intro to Felt Surrogacy". I would also skip "Conventions of Space and Time' but that has some heavy Troy/Abed stuff so if your brother likes Troy you might want to watch it. Just warn him about the show runner change and that stuff does feel different.

Agreed, it won't physically hurt you to watch season 4. I know lack of pain seems like stupid reason to spend 4 and a half hours watching a show you won't like, but who am I to go against the consensus that anything less painful than Chinese water torture is worth spending your time and money doing :thumbsup:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
As someone who hated most of the episodes as they aired, going back and rewatching them was actually mostly enjoyable. There are more than a couple scenes/jokes that still make me cringe, but in the context of the series as a whole it works. There are a couple great episodes and a couple bad ones, but most of the episodes are par for the course compared to the first 3 seasons.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Tell you what, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I will buy the first person to come up with a reason to watch the entirety of Community season 4 that isn't behavioral or equivocal an avatar. No "at least its not," "you already watched" or "what else you gonna do" bullshit. Sell the season--the ENTIRE season--on its own merits or GTFO.

Thank you.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Irish Joe posted:

Tell you what, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I will buy the first person to come up with a reason to watch the entirety of Community season 4 that isn't behavioral or equivocal an avatar. No "at least its not," "you already watched" or "what else you gonna do" bullshit. Sell the season--the ENTIRE season--on its own merits or GTFO.

Thank you.

It's not as good as the rest of the series, but even still, it's way better than anything like 2 Broke Girls or The Big Bang Theory. For any other show it would be a solid season. Reports of its terribleness have been greatly exaggerated.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

computer parts posted:

What were the major episodes of Season 2 because other than the weird Chang emperor arc all of the episodes felt that they would've belonged somewhere in the past three seasons.

Preeeetty sure the Chang as dictator-thing was already season 3.

Paradigms of Human Memory
Critical Film Studies
Cooperative Calligraphy
Epidemiology
A Fistful of Paintballs/For a Few Paintballs More
Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Coffee And Pie posted:

For any other show it would be a solid season.

This is so far from true. Even at its best Community wasn't leagues ahead of its competition.

Except the Jack Black episode.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Irish Joe posted:

And I'm the crazy one.

Quick everybody bow! This man invests in stocks!

Edit: You are a loving man child. Make your own decisions. Either watch it or don't.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

And I'm the crazy one.

Agreed, it won't physically hurt you to watch season 4. I know lack of pain seems like stupid reason to spend 4 and a half hours watching a show you won't like, but who am I to go against the consensus that anything less painful than Chinese water torture is worth spending your time and money doing :thumbsup:

:smug: "I have a better job and life than you, you are all idiots"
*spends an hour getting worked up and posting about a TV show in the middle of the day on a Thursday*

Calm the gently caress down dude.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's not as good as the rest of the series, but even still, it's way better than anything like 2 Broke Girls or The Big Bang Theory. For any other show it would be a solid season. Reports of its terribleness have been greatly exaggerated.

That's all equivocation, sorry.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Emerson Cod posted:

As someone who hated most of the episodes as they aired, going back and rewatching them was actually mostly enjoyable. There are more than a couple scenes/jokes that still make me cringe, but in the context of the series as a whole it works. There are a couple great episodes and a couple bad ones, but most of the episodes are par for the course compared to the first 3 seasons.

Please, Don't tell me those things. Not now.

Irish Joe posted:

Thank you.

I'll give it a shot.

You should watch season 4 if you hated the direction they took with season 3 and want to be able to say "See? This is what happens when you write the show for Comic-con, tumblrites and shippers. I told you so." If you're petty and spiteful enough to actually be entertained by them cranking the worst parts of the show up to eleven and having it blow up in their faces, then you should totally watch season 4.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

sassassin posted:

This is so far from true. Even at its best Community wasn't leagues ahead of its competition.

Except the Jack Black episode.

The expression is streets ahead, idiot.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm an unemployment adjudicator. (We are sharing our jobs before we post now right?)

You should watch season 4 for the exact same reasons you watch every other season. You get to see characters you like doing unexpected and funny things. Not every joke works in season 4, just like how not every joke works in the other seasons you enjoyed. Even if you were not on this forum you would notice that it is different, but not changed so fundamentally that it isn't the same show it was the year before.

What do I win?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Thank you.

Hahaha what is the point of this? Since it is all opinion based you are not going to accept anything. And yes, "you enjoyed the characters, acting and writing of previous seasons by virtue of you telling us you did" should all be acceptable reasons to promote a show.

How about this:

Community has a fantastic cast who understand comedic timing and the nuances of their characters. There are some great guest appearances by Jason Alexander, James Brolin, and Fred Willard. Most of the writing staff remains intact and they use their knowledge of the characters to put them into funny and interesting situations. Jim Rash - who plays Dean Pelton and is an Academy Award winning writer - also contributes a script for one of the best episodes of the season. The new showrunners are not as polished as Harmon but this mostly leads to a dip in production quality and some missteps in the direction of the season. For the most part it is still on-par with or better than most sitcoms on television.

--

Feel free to dismiss all of these arguments as comparisons to previous seasons/other shows or for only selling part of the season or for appealing to awards and guest stars or whatever.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Thank you.

The Gas Leak Year joke won't make sense otherwise.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Guy A. Person posted:

How about this:

Community has a fantastic cast who understand comedic timing and the nuances of their characters. There are some great guest appearances by Jason Alexander, James Brolin, and Fred Willard. Most of the writing staff remains intact and they use their knowledge of the characters to put them into funny and interesting situations. Jim Rash - who plays Dean Pelton and is an Academy Award winning writer - also contributes a script for one of the best episodes of the season. The new showrunners are not as polished as Harmon but this mostly leads to a dip in production quality and some missteps in the direction of the season. For the most part it is still on-par with or better than most sitcoms on television.

Good enough for me.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Rexides posted:

The Gas Leak Year joke won't make sense otherwise.

This is the correct answer.

Season 4 had some good ideas, but most (if not all) lacked in execution and focus/refinement. I'm not even a huge fan of Academy Award Winner Jim Rash's episode, sadly.

The puppet episode and finale both make me cringe. Quite easily the worst episodes of them all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Good enough for me.

Boooo, I kept my newbie avatar for 11 years. Thanks dick!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Irish Joe posted:

Good enough for me.

Christ, you're an rear end in a top hat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Good enough for me.

God, what a dick.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

Good enough for me.

Irish Joe, you're the best.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I invest in stocks being an rear end in a top hat. You invest in fictional characters.

Fixed that for you.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
He IS an rear end in a top hat, but let's be real; in more than one light, this is hilarious.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What the hell am I supposed to do when people ask me about these dumb shows?

I guess I'll be on wiki all day doing research.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who is the guy in the avatar?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Eh, some people like it.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

ETB posted:

This is the correct answer.

Season 4 had some good ideas, but most (if not all) lacked in execution and focus/refinement. I'm not even a huge fan of Academy Award Winner Jim Rash's episode, sadly.

The puppet episode and finale both make me cringe. Quite easily the worst episodes of them all.

I liked that joke mostly because of how vitriolic it was, not so much because I agreed with Dan Harmon on the quality of the last season. In fact it got even better as season 5 went on and it turned out that it's good, but not good enough to warrant that kind of response.

(the puppet episode was total poo poo though and it would be the only reason that joke felt justified)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Who is the guy in the avatar?

Inspector Spacetime.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Irish Joe, you are amazing.

Go crash the Justified thread next.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Thank you.

Thousands of people worked hard for ten hours a day so we could watch it, we as a society need to endorse cheap tv comedy because it provides many many jobs per show.

Edit: my answer wasn't a vacuous opinion, send me an avatar cert

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 20, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Irish Joe posted:

Thank you.

There are funny jokes in this sitcom about attractive looking people, sometimes they make jokes about pop culture with a wink and a nod that make you laugh or think.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ETB posted:

I'll agree with this. I thought Jim Rash's episode was worth it just for the comedic acting displayed by him, Donald and Danny, but it would have been a lot better in a season where it would have gotten a lot more polish. I don't think anyone should miss out on those portrayals though, even if it is just in a highlight reel or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I don't know how, but they managed to make me hate the Dean and Jeff's interactions.

• Locked thread