Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Roydrowsy posted:

just caught "As The Palaces Burn" the documentary about the band Lamb of God.

You get me all excited and then I find out it's a limited release movie in theatres :(

Any word on a DVD release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
Consumed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKl04TWVsU

It's basically about not needing a bunch of consumerist crap to live a happy and full filled life.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Free to Play, an E-sports documentary by Valve, came out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZYMI1zB9s

I'm curious what non-video game people think about it as an actual documentary.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NmareBfly posted:

Free to Play, an E-sports documentary by Valve, came out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZYMI1zB9s

I'm curious what non-video game people think about it as an actual documentary.

Felt like a giant advertisement for DOTA and e-sports to be honest. It was enjoyable as a fly on the wall sorts of thing, but it didn't actually tackle any issues.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BonoMan posted:

Felt like a giant advertisement for DOTA and e-sports to be honest. It was enjoyable as a fly on the wall sorts of thing, but it didn't actually tackle any issues.

I've seen a few people say this, and I'm curious: can you put a finger on what was so advertising-y about it? Aside from a very brief introduction to the game early on, they barely mention anything to do with Dota itself. There's never any sort of in your face pushing of the product besides that the entire thing is about a Dota tournament so it features a lot of people having fun playing the game. I'm not sure if there would be a way to prevent that, though? I mean, they could have made it a documentary about e-sports in general but the original motivation was apparently just 'hey, let's film this tournament we're putting on!' and the fact that it became a feature-length movie just grew out of the process. If you're following three people to a place to play a particular game, I'm not sure how you can avoid mentioning the game they're playing.

The fact that they dramatize portions of the tournament games with the cutscene type moments might have been a bad move that comes across pretty false. I can see why they did it, but whether or not it made things worse is open to debate. It's hard as hell to understand what's going on in a big Dota fight even for an experienced player sometimes, so if they just included shots of it entirely in-game I'm not sure if the 'action' moments would have any sort of dramatic impact to a layman. Are those the parts that made it feel like an advertising, and were they effective at all?

I dunno. I just came away from watching it really surprised at how LITTLE it felt like an advertisement, but I already play the game in question so I can't watch it with a clear head. There's a metric poo poo ton of marketing stuff they could have gone into, but even the simple fact that it's a free game is only mentioned obliquely in the title of the movie -- I don't think they ever point it out as a 'selling' point. It didn't work for me as an advertisement for e-sports, either. I got from it was that professional e-sports involves a ton of sacrifices and can turn your home life to poo poo, which probably isn't worth it until society starts providing ways to pull some sort of steady paycheck not based entirely on tournament winnings.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 20, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NmareBfly posted:

I've seen a few people say this, and I'm curious: can you put a finger on what was so advertising-y about it? Aside from a very brief introduction to the game early on, they barely mention anything to do with Dota itself. There's never any sort of in your face pushing of the product besides that the entire thing is about a Dota tournament so it features a lot of people having fun playing the game. I'm not sure if there would be a way to prevent that, though? I mean, they could have made it a documentary about e-sports in general but the original motivation was apparently just 'hey, let's film this tournament we're putting on!' and the fact that it became a feature-length movie just grew out of the process. If you're following three people to a place to play a particular game, I'm not sure how you can avoid mentioning the game they're playing.

The fact that they dramatize portions of the tournament games with the cutscene type moments might have been a bad move that comes across pretty false. I can see why they did it, but whether or not it made things worse is open to debate. It's hard as hell to understand what's going on in a big Dota fight even for an experienced player sometimes, so if they just included shots of it entirely in-game I'm not sure if the 'action' moments would have any sort of dramatic impact to a layman. Are those the parts that made it feel like an advertising, and were they effective at all?

I dunno. I just came away from watching it really surprised at how LITTLE it felt like an advertisement, but I already play the game in question so I can't watch it with a clear head. There's a metric poo poo ton of marketing stuff they could have gone into, but even the simple fact that it's a free game is only mentioned obliquely in the title of the movie -- I don't think they ever point it out as a 'selling' point. It didn't work for me as an advertisement for e-sports, either. I got from it was that professional e-sports involves a ton of sacrifices and can turn your home life to poo poo, which probably isn't worth it until society starts providing ways to pull some sort of steady paycheck not based entirely on tournament winnings.

I think it's because it's advertised and described as a documentary about e-sports against the backdrop of the tournament. But other than your trotted out tropes of "what are the kids parents like?" it's all very shallow. There's no real commentary on e-sports other than some generic stats and speculation. It's just...hey here are some kids playing Dota. Which is fine I guess, just don't make it sound like an actual documentary. Because that usually involves actually delving into the issue at hand and presenting different sides of the same issue and this film barely scratched the surface of...anything really.

Fly on the wall "fun" thing it is. Documentary? Not so much.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm sure it's been mentioned lsince I haven't gone through all 86 pages of this thread but mtv's True Life has some interesting hour long docs. It's pretty good if you exclude the back door pilots like My dads's a bro and the Theriot family.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone actually seen The Unknown Known? Being a big fan of Fog of War I was really looking forward to this but it's nowhere to be found still. What the hell's going on with this one?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Just watched the BBC4 documentary "The Joy of Easy Listening", I really enjoyed it. It talks about the origins of Easy Listening as a reaction to 'beat' and 'rock' music for the older generation. It has a very nice quote from James Last about modern music can still be fantastic and that older music is not automatically better.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone actually seen The Unknown Known? Being a big fan of Fog of War I was really looking forward to this but it's nowhere to be found still. What the hell's going on with this one?

I saw it last fall at the Philadelphia Film Festival. It was decent, but nowhere near as good as Fog of War, which I am also a big fan of. The problem is that Rumsfeld has not changed his position on anything he did while in office and is obviously using the documentary as an opportunity to spin his own legacy; he comes across exactly as you'd expect him to: as a slippery, scuzzy guy who will never give you an even remotely honest answer if it doesn't serve his own purposes. It's really more frustrating than anything else, which is disappointing, since I've found all of Morris' other documentaries satisfying on one level or another.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the "Up" series of movies objectively good or are people just invested at this point?

Is there an alternative jump-in point or am I obliged to watch them from the beginning?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm looking for anything cool about the nature in Japan or the history of Tokyo. Just nothing economic or current social issues. Interesting subcultures are fine too though.

EDIT: The documentary may also be in Japanese, in fact I'd be really interested in seeing a genuine Japanese documentary.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

NeilPerry posted:

I'm looking for anything cool about the nature in Japan or the history of Tokyo.

Japanorama might be interesting. It focuses on the quirky Japanese culture more than anything else you asked for though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanorama

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

xcore posted:

Is the "Up" series of movies objectively good or are people just invested at this point?

Is there an alternative jump-in point or am I obliged to watch them from the beginning?

I think you have to watch from the beginning. It's following the entire lives of this group so it defeats the purpose to start from a later point. The essential premise is examining the statement "give me a child at 7 years and I will show you the man", so you have to see what those children are like, and their circumstances.

One problem is that the films repeat a LOT of footage assuming people have forgotten from earlier films or are coming in fresh. So it's really tedious to try and marathon them, you have to take a break.

It is pretty interesting to see how the upper class trio of boys mostly entered schools and careers exactly as envisioned and that their social standing programmed them for. I haven't seen the last 2 films yet though so not aware of any new twists.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MeinPanzer posted:

I saw it last fall at the Philadelphia Film Festival. It was decent, but nowhere near as good as Fog of War, which I am also a big fan of. The problem is that Rumsfeld has not changed his position on anything he did while in office and is obviously using the documentary as an opportunity to spin his own legacy; he comes across exactly as you'd expect him to: as a slippery, scuzzy guy who will never give you an even remotely honest answer if it doesn't serve his own purposes. It's really more frustrating than anything else, which is disappointing, since I've found all of Morris' other documentaries satisfying on one level or another.

That's a shame; seeing McNamara tell it like it is was a very pleasant and enlightening experience. Expecting the same from Rumsfeld was probably too much, but it also might've been too soon for him to really admit to screwing up anything. Is there anyone else from the gang who's actually changed their opinion?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

mobby_6kl posted:

That's a shame; seeing McNamara tell it like it is was a very pleasant and enlightening experience. Expecting the same from Rumsfeld was probably too much, but it also might've been too soon for him to really admit to screwing up anything. Is there anyone else from the gang who's actually changed their opinion?

I think that McNamara's personality, his private and professional experience, as well as his advanced age all contributed to his stance at the time of the interviews. Rumsfeld seems to be a flat, uninteresting character by comparison. But you're probably right re. it being too soon, too.

If you can bring yourself to read Bush's 'Decision Points' and Rice's 'No Higher Honor', you might be surprised by the subdued tone of especially the former. Bush's book is also surprisingly digestible. I'm saying this as a non-American who's not interested in politics in general.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Musical Minds is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Ddkeab4r4

In case you are unaware, it's about two autistic guys who host a local tv show about music. It's been in development for a long time so it's nice to see that it's out.

Here is a clip from their show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5KN-DLaE5Y

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I rarely make requests, but is there anything out there like Jerry Meades' documentaries (Jerry Building and Joe Building)? They don't have to be about architecture or anything, but they're so well put together that I've watched both like a half dozen times.

Special Kei
May 13, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I rarely make requests, but is there anything out there like Jerry Meades' documentaries (Jerry Building and Joe Building)? They don't have to be about architecture or anything, but they're so well put together that I've watched both like a half dozen times.

Jonathan Meades
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Meades#Television_work

Bunkers Brutalism And Bloodymindedness Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_X0wqCieRI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cheers. These weren't up on YT when I looked last year!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Any of you folks seen Dennis O'Rourke's Cannibal Tours? It's all about rich tourists going through impoverished Papua New Guinea in 1987 and generally being awful people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQiDufdir_M

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

The only real antecedent to Meades' schtick is Ian Nairn:
http://youtu.be/eL95amUnQuc

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cloudchamber posted:

The only real antecedent to Meades' schtick is Ian Nairn:
http://youtu.be/eL95amUnQuc

Oh, and it's got vintage footage too, thanks so much for this, you guys are good.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Any of you folks seen Dennis O'Rourke's Cannibal Tours? It's all about rich tourists going through impoverished Papua New Guinea in 1987 and generally being awful people.

I love this thread for strange things like this. I'll be watching it this evening

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

His 3 part documentary series on Scotland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNbc7NeW3Wg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is really awesome btw.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend any good documentaries about cults.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I just heard about this documentary on Jodorowsky's Dune that's apparently playing across the US this week, and dammit right now I hate living in the Canadian prairies because we almost never get to see this stuff in the theatres and I want to see this documentary so loving bad.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Can anyone recommend any good documentaries about cults.

Jonestown: the life and death of Peoples Temple

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Seriously, worth watching. It can get quite chilling at points.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

BonoMan posted:

Felt like a giant advertisement for DOTA and e-sports to be honest.

My main complaint about it was it's barely about Dota.

Also seems like video game pros need dead parents. In I Got Next or whatever three of the more famous fighting game dudes got dead moms.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

The whole time I was waiting for the 1988 version of Aston Kusher to pop out and yell punk'd.

Awesomely fascinating documentary.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Tactical Grace posted:

What's the documentary about the Aikido (or some sort of Japanese stick fighting) test that only one person passes a year?

Quoting from a few pages back, but I think this might be the one you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpdy0XEOfw

It's a really interesting documentary about Kendo, and 2 men trying to pass the test for 8th Dan (the highest rank). One is a former Kendo champion, the other one a 78 year old man who has been failing the test for 24 years.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know I got the recommendation from someone in the thread ages ago, but I finally got around to watching Undefeated last night.

Yeah, it's a pretty cliche sports documentary that hits all the right notes, but boy, does it hit those notes good. Bit of a tear jerker.

As an aside, for the richest and most powerful country in the world, the United States is one very hosed up and broken country.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

I only recently saw Undefeated too and I loved it. It may not be Hoop Dreams but I think it comes very close. Bill Courtney is a true American hero.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

This movie is so insane I was almost convinced it was fake.

Spoiler: No human flesh is consumed

soundsection
May 10, 2010
"An epic 12-year journey into the brutal and secretive world of Irish Traveler bare-knuckle fighting. This film follows a history of violent feuding between rival clans.

Knuckle 2011 Irish Bare Knuckle Fighting Documentary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoLfjDYsYg

JustTheWorst
Sep 14, 2008

Filled with delicious shrimp!

soundsection posted:

"An epic 12-year journey into the brutal and secretive world of Irish Traveler bare-knuckle fighting. This film follows a history of violent feuding between rival clans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoLfjDYsYg

This is on US Netflix as well, for those who have streaming devices that don't support YouTube: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Knuckle/70167113 It's very interesting and well done - well worth a watch.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

xcore posted:

Only 3 weeks late, but:

The earlier ones are the best. For a variety of reasons - the participants become more guarded as the series go on, the big dramatic moments and changes in people's lives take place early on, some of the subjects have dropped out, there's not a lot of interesting comment to be made by now. By now, their lives are pretty much set in stone. Of course, maybe they'll surprise me by doing something different and unexpected - Neil, the mentally ill one, had a massive changes late in life. But I do see that coming from the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

soundsection posted:

Well I just got my depression session in.

Would be nice if they just started a boxing league.

One of our biggest tricks is to draw a line between each other, and it hurts to watch in whatever form it takes. gently caress.