Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I just sold my copy of Amazing Spider-Man #36 (the 9/11) one for thirty bucks, while we're on the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was at the comic store when that issue arrived, and knew I could have bought a dozen copies to make a decent profit, but I just didn't have the heart to do that off a 9-11 comic. I'd say it's fair game now. It's a nice little collectors item.

I think Spawn #1 was selling for like $35 in the late 90's, but it was probably all over the place before the bottom fell out.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Carrying on with the Spider-Man stuff, I am thinking of buying Spider Island because the price is so good... but this isn't horribad like Big Time, is it?

https://www.comixology.com/Spider-Man-Spider-Island/digital-comic/34528

While we are at it, is there anything else here you recommend?
Only one on sale that I own is Batman Court of Owls.
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The shop I worked at just after high school (1999) still had over 500 copies of each X-Men #1 in stock when I started. They kept about 5 copies of each cover in the active back issues marked at $3 each and they absolutely refused to let me mark them down or make bundled sets. Last I heard they were still sitting on 2000 or so copies. Meanwhile I blow those out at $1 all day long.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Carrying on with the Spider-Man stuff, I am thinking of buying Spider Island because the price is so good... but this isn't horribad like Big Time, is it?

While we are at it, is there anything else here you recommend?
Only one on sale that I own is Batman Court of Owls.
https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale

Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Aquaman, Flash and Shazam! collections.
Animal Man. The old series 1-26 (Grant Morrison's run) and the New52 one which you can pick up easier here https://www.comixology.com/Animal-Man-Sale/page/1195

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 20, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks. I am gonna hold off on Animal Man but I will jump on Action Comics and The Flash. Anything I need to know before I read these volumes?

And what about that Spider-Man graphic novel? The price is so good for that much comic that I am very tempted. $3.99 for a 389 page comic seems good - as long as it is not utter poo poo.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 20, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks. I am gonna hold off on Animal Man but I will jump on Action Comics and The Flash. Anything I need to know before I read these volumes?

Just that Action takes place five years before present day (well, present day new52 DCU in 2011) and that Wonder Woman is the best thing there, man!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 20, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Grrrrrrrr OK so I will try Wonder Woman then. I have never read it before - is this a decent starting place? I am a low budget, casual comics reader so I won't be buying complete collections or anything.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

I have never read it before - is this a decent starting place?

Absolutely. Green Lantern and Batman Inc were really the only series' that weren't fresh starts at #1 (Their writers still had to finish their massive sagas from pre-N52.)

The Marvel NOW! stuff is also similarly set up to be new reader friendly across the line on all the reset volumes.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 20, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can Daredevil read?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On paper, yes. His radar sense is acute enough to read ink like Braille...I don't think it's acute enough for him to "see" it with radar, though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

Can Daredevil read?

He's blind?

He can read Braille and read regular print with his fingers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He can feel the ink impressions on paper with his fingers, so he can read regular printed paper that way, and he can also read Braille. He can't see the letters, though, no.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

And what about that Spider-Man graphic novel? The price is so good for that much comic that I am very tempted. $3.99 for a 389 page comic seems good - as long as it is not utter poo poo.
To clarify, it's not one comic, it's a chunk of Amazing Spider-Man plus some Venom, so 13 single issues. That is a good price, though.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 20, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

BadAstronaut posted:

I liked it!... but if you didn't like Big Time, it's by the same author. General goon consensus seems to be really down on Dan Slott, but I don't know what other goons thought of Spider-Island. I think $4 is certainly a fair price for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Grrrrrrrr OK so I will try Wonder Woman then. I have never read it before - is this a decent starting place? I am a low budget, casual comics reader so I won't be buying complete collections or anything.

New 52 Wonder Woman is a good starting point for someone who hasn't read WW before. The only thing you need to know beforehand is that Wonder Woman is connected to the Greek Gods and that's about it. Its also pretty much a stand alone book in terms of greater DC continuity so you don't have to worry about reading a bunch of other books at the same time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Can't Daredevil see what's on TV too? Something about reading the signals coming off the screen or something? I remember seeing that somewhere.

If it's true, that's stupid.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unmature posted:

Can't Daredevil see what's on TV too? Something about reading the signals coming off the screen or something? I remember seeing that somewhere.

If it's true, that's stupid.

He could when Danny Rand was covering for him while Matt was getting his brain together.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daredevil is a blind guy with the superpower to see.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

prefect posted:

He could when Danny Rand was covering for him while Matt was getting his brain together.

Wait... are you saying that Danny Rand Daredevil could see?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

greatn posted:

He's Iron Fist isn't he?
He ain't Iron EYES!

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 20, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's Iron Fist isn't he?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Unmature posted:

He ain't Iron EYES!

That's the guy who runs around with Lead Foot, Gold Heart, Metal Head and the other metal body part themed guys right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

He can feel the ink impressions on paper with his fingers, so he can read regular printed paper that way, and he can also read Braille. He can't see the letters, though, no.

This is the kind of thing that made sense in the 1960's but I wonder if he can read glossy printed magazines created with modern technology. I would think that would all feel the same to him.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Random Stranger posted:

This is the kind of thing that made sense in the 1960's but I wonder if he can read glossy printed magazines created with modern technology. I would think that would all feel the same to him.
The different colors of ink absorb different amounts of light and would thusly feel warmer or cooler I think was an explanation at one point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The different colors of ink absorb different amounts of light and would thusly feel warmer or cooler I think was an explanation at one point.

Hell, the most recent issue of Daredevil has him examining the heat of a piece paper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One day someone needs to examine how all these little magic powers they give Daredevil would make his every day life a living hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

One day someone needs to examine how all these little magic powers they give Daredevil would make his every day life a living hell.

They kind of dealt with that in the movie where he had to sleep in a sensory deprivation chamber.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

That's a fairly common theme. When he visits Foggy while Foggy is getting chemo the scent of death makes him vomit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

There was a Waid interview maybe a year or so into his run where he commented on this skill; he said it's not much use when so much stuff seems to be on tablets and smartphones and so on nowadays.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Weird how "blind dude with echolocation" can get powercreep that crazy. He's like a tiny silver age Superman.

I think it would be way cooler if he was just like "gently caress I guess I can't read with my hands anymore. Gotta get information some other way."

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

When they first manifested they did but he has learned how to tune it out a little. At least enough to be able to live in a city.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Daredevil should spend most of his time passed out from the unbelievable amount of pain he should be in if his skin is sensitive enough to read newspaper print.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Everything about Daredevil handling/not handling his powers all falls under the fact that he's also supposed to be the world's greatest ninja.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I want to say it's in "Born Again" (I can't find it yet), but there's a scene of him right after the accident in agony from the noises and smells and so forth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Daredevil should spend most of his time passed out from the unbelievable amount of pain he should be in if his skin is sensitive enough to read newspaper print.

They've already done that with Guy (Mr Sensitive/The Orphan) from X-Statix.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Daredevil must be ejaculating constantly in that spandex.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Seanbaby did a parody comic about that a few years ago.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

prefect posted:

I want to say it's in "Born Again" (I can't find it yet), but there's a scene of him right after the accident in agony from the noises and smells and so forth.

I'm pretty sure they cover that at some point in Waid's run as well.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

prefect posted:

You're thinking of Man Without Fear by Miller and Romita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Daredevil 259-260 (by Nocenti/JRJR/Williamson) also plays around with this, as Kingpin sends a whole grip of people to (successfully) kill Daredevil and as he gets more battered he begins to use his heightened senses to... completely misread his surroundings and proceeds to throttle a homeless guy who smokes the same cigarettes as his enemy and not notice printed signs and etc.