Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Arzachel posted:

The "clickbait soapboxing" is partly why I read RPS in the first place, they actually seem to care about gaming and are willing to do their part to make it better by highlighting lovely business practices or social issues. Y'know, doing actual journalism. Nathan just seems kinda poo poo at writing these kind of articles.

Sounds like they like getting mad at boobs. That's pretty sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arzachel posted:

The "clickbait soapboxing" is partly why I read RPS in the first place, they actually seem to care about gaming and are willing to do their part to make it better by highlighting lovely business practices or social issues. Y'know, doing actual journalism. Nathan just seems kinda poo poo at writing these kind of articles.
:shrug: I agree that it's a step up from copy/pasting marketing releases, which is what lots of sites unfortunately still do, but relentlessly throwing the same "why do you have cleavage? :byodood:" accusation around and hoping for a scandalous soundbite doesn't feel much like 'actual journalism' to me either. Yellow journalism might be more appropriate - it's certainly much closer to the kind of stuff Kotaku publishes than to what Kill Screen publishes. It's a little disheartening how well "getting mad at boobs", as SunAndSpring put it, sums up the New RPS approach.

To get back on topic - while they've made it crystal clear that Paradox Interactive won't have any influence on Pillars of Eternity, have Obsidian denied any contribution from their side to the upcoming Runemaster game by Paradox Development Studio? Even just lending a couple consultants or something? It seems more than a little serendipitous that the PI-OE deal happens just at the same time as PDS is branching out in the (fantasy! branching-plot! isometric!) RPG genre. :tinfoil:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

To get back on topic - while they've made it crystal clear that Paradox Interactive won't have any influence on Pillars of Eternity, have Obsidian denied any contribution from their side to the upcoming Runemaster game by Paradox Development Studio?
That was a question that came up at the announcement. The answer was that Obsidian didn't have any influence on Ronemaster yet, but it might happen in the future.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I think we all know what this means. The next kickstarter needs a goal of more than 2 mil, and needs to end up near 10 mil in the final pledges :black101:

In all seriousness though, going the Star Citizen route of having a finished pledge site at or near launch of the next kickstarter seems a good idea, especially if it can mean as big a set of new profits as seen with that project. If not to avoid these kinds of MMO deals in the future, then to at least secure some additional funding to keep the team's budget in line with any sudden changes in design.

Scialen
Nov 5, 2010

Look into my eyes...
*sigh* reading through this entire thread and looking at it all makes me sorry I couldn't afford to back this project or get any goodies (cloth map bye bye).

I really wanna play it and get a physical copy, and I just hope my only (read: old) laptop can run it.

Obsidian games have been my favourite since, ever. You guys got me into writing, RPGs, and even philosophy. Ropekid et. al - you're awesome.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

:shrug: I agree that it's a step up from copy/pasting marketing releases, which is what lots of sites unfortunately still do, but relentlessly throwing the same "why do you have cleavage? :byodood:" accusation around and hoping for a scandalous soundbite doesn't feel much like 'actual journalism' to me either.

RPS have always called out bullshit both in articles and interviews, DRM, pointless delays for EU releases or PC versions, lovely reporting on videogames by the mainstream media come to mind. But like I said, I think Nathan is really bad about this and more often than not actually goes with "why do you have cleavage?" instead of "why is cleavage the only thing you have?".

Has Obsidian said anything on the planed expansion? Are they going back to kickstarter for it?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Unconfirmed reports coming in that heavily armed masked gunmen calling themselves "Orange County Self Defense Forces" have blockaded the roads leading to Obsidian HQ.

I knew they wouldn't stop at Crimea. :smith:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

:shrug: I agree that it's a step up from copy/pasting marketing releases, which is what lots of sites unfortunately still do, but relentlessly throwing the same "why do you have cleavage? :byodood:" accusation around and hoping for a scandalous soundbite doesn't feel much like 'actual journalism' to me either. Yellow journalism might be more appropriate - it's certainly much closer to the kind of stuff Kotaku publishes than to what Kill Screen publishes. It's a little disheartening how well "getting mad at boobs", as SunAndSpring put it, sums up the New RPS approach.

To get back on topic - while they've made it crystal clear that Paradox Interactive won't have any influence on Pillars of Eternity, have Obsidian denied any contribution from their side to the upcoming Runemaster game by Paradox Development Studio? Even just lending a couple consultants or something? It seems more than a little serendipitous that the PI-OE deal happens just at the same time as PDS is branching out in the (fantasy! branching-plot! isometric!) RPG genre. :tinfoil:

We should make a competing website where we complain bitterly about the absence of boobs/cleavage. Campaign against restrictive sexual norms! High quality readership of classy gents guaranteed, I'm sure...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SurrealityCheck posted:

We should make a competing website where we complain bitterly about the absence of boobs/cleavage. Campaign against restrictive sexual norms! High quality readership of classy gents guaranteed, I'm sure...

Someone make a RTS campaign about this stat!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

SurrealityCheck posted:

SunAndSpring posted:

Sounds like they like getting mad at boobs. That's pretty sad.

These are really ironic posts for a thread about a game that bills itself as explicitly banning fanservice, boobplate, and sexism...

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Prism posted:

There was a Birthright computer game, wasn't there? I have no idea how good it would have been; I don't remember hearing much about it, but I'm pretty sure it existed.

Birthright is my quintessential "excellent premise, poo poo execution" game when arguing about classic titles. You had a CK-esque county distribution of land to choose from, each one had pros/cons. I remember I was fond of playing as a county or whatever that was directly adjacent to a haunted forest with evil witch, so my early expansion was warring with her skeletons and forest spiders etc. That is thematically really cool!

However, the army combat was kinda bland, and because it was AD&D there was an adventure element, where your regent was also your main character? Initially, wizards were good at the army-scale combat but weak in the adventuring, with fighters being vice-versa. If I remember, everyone got a wizard in the party and cheesed the poo poo out of the adventures waiting until they were high enough level for teleport, then teleporting to the last room to take the quest item (just like in wizard supremacy in real D&D :rolleyes: ). Fighter-regents were always lame because while you had initial strength in adventures, you were always lackluster in the army combat due to the scale/scope of your enemies.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

These are really ironic posts for a thread about a game that bills itself as explicitly banning fanservice, boobplate, and sexism...

Not having something isn't really the same thing as "explicitly banning" it.

Also this is the dumbest topic that in these threads never goes in any direction unless you count spiraling downwards.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dr. Demon posted:

That sounds like Birthright, which probably would make an amazing computer game in the right hands.

Yep, and the reason I'd heard about it was an LP of the old computer game based on it. The game actually looked like it was fun, but the combat itself wasn't the deepest, both in dungeons and out. As a strategy game about managing your kingdom and alliances it seemed a bit more interesting. With Obsidian's competence in terms of story and some work on the core systems (as in not using any kind of Dungeons and Dragons rules) it would make quite the intriguing game. But again, this is speculating well after the actual game was revealed. A guy can dream though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Not having something isn't really the same thing as "explicitly banning" it.

Also this is the dumbest topic that in these threads never goes in any direction unless you count spiraling downwards.

It is not the dumbest topic and should never be called such.

That said, it is very likely to lead to the level of discussion in the thread spiraling downwards. We should probably stick to only discussing it when it actually comes up in relation with PE itself at which point it would become unavoidable in any case.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Well, if the tank MMO does alright it'll be consistent work, I don't really know how all that works but if it helps avoid the "hire staff, release the game, fire staff" cycle that'd be nice. WoT and War Thunder have big problems but they're both pretty fun so a modern day version should be cool.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I imagine it's the same deal as the other MMO they're working on, which means they won't handle post-release support. If so, it won't be a consistent font of work.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

RentACop posted:

Well, if the tank MMO does alright it'll be consistent work, I don't really know how all that works but if it helps avoid the "hire staff, release the game, fire staff" cycle that'd be nice. WoT and War Thunder have big problems but they're both pretty fun so a modern day version should be cool.

Skyforge should actually come out sooner, so that will probably be our first chance at seeing a collaboration between the people behind Knights of the Old Republic II, Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: New Vegas and the people behind, uh, World of Speed, Lucky Fields and Poker Arena (admittely that first one looks pretty good, and from the comments it seems the developers have some racing pedigree).

After googling 'skyforge' and wading through a lot of Skyrim- and LoL-related results, it seems you can sign up for the beta now, and there's been a new trailer released yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_eV6RhtRr0

If I had to say something nice, I'd say that I like how the aesthetics are halfway between Western and Asian MMOs (fitting for a Russian product, I suppose) and that they have some Protoss-esque 'technology indistinguishable from magic' thing going rather than sticking to pure medieval fantasy.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Oh I'm completely pro the P:E position! I was just making a silly post because the idea of a website campaigning nobly for boobs in everything entertained me for long enough to me to make the poor decision to post it >_>

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Arzachel posted:

Has Obsidian said anything on the planed expansion? Are they going back to kickstarter for it?

The first expansion is included with the original Kickstarter. All they've said about anything beyond that is "we'll see how it goes."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rope Kid has stated that it's been conceived as more of a Trials of the Luremaster xpac than anything. So not, like, a full-blown expansion

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Basic Chunnel posted:

Rope Kid has stated that it's been conceived as more of a Trials of the Luremaster xpac than anything. So not, like, a full-blown expansion

That's kind of disappointing considering I pledged $20 towards it. I guess I see it more as pledging towards the betterment of the game, though, so I'm not too disappointed. How long, content wise was Trials of the Luremaster, I've never played it. Also, if I don't want it, I can still change my pledge until the 31st...decisions decisions.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Last I remember hearing, they were planning for the expansion to be funded by profits from the game, so it makes more sense to plan for something smaller and up the scope if necessary, since there's still no way of knowing how it'll actually sell.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Clicked this thread on a whim and read the OP. Holy poo poo I'm an idiot for not doing it sooner. I consider the Baldurs Gate type games to be the best and most engrossing gaming experiences ever.

Wow, I'm so glad this is coming about.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

2house2fly posted:

Last I remember hearing, they were planning for the expansion to be funded by profits from the game, so it makes more sense to plan for something smaller and up the scope if necessary, since there's still no way of knowing how it'll actually sell.

Well, in that RPS interview Urquhart estimated that 10x as many people will buy the finished game as backed it 18 months ago. That would be a fair number of sales, especially with an average purchase price above the backer cost to get a copy.

frest posted:

Birthright is my quintessential "excellent premise, poo poo execution" game when arguing about classic titles. You had a CK-esque county distribution of land to choose from, each one had pros/cons. I remember I was fond of playing as a county or whatever that was directly adjacent to a haunted forest with evil witch, so my early expansion was warring with her skeletons and forest spiders etc. That is thematically really cool!

However, the army combat was kinda bland, and because it was AD&D there was an adventure element, where your regent was also your main character? Initially, wizards were good at the army-scale combat but weak in the adventuring, with fighters being vice-versa. If I remember, everyone got a wizard in the party and cheesed the poo poo out of the adventures waiting until they were high enough level for teleport, then teleporting to the last room to take the quest item (just like in wizard supremacy in real D&D :rolleyes: ). Fighter-regents were always lame because while you had initial strength in adventures, you were always lackluster in the army combat due to the scale/scope of your enemies.

evilmiera posted:

Yep, and the reason I'd heard about it was an LP of the old computer game based on it. The game actually looked like it was fun, but the combat itself wasn't the deepest, both in dungeons and out. As a strategy game about managing your kingdom and alliances it seemed a bit more interesting. With Obsidian's competence in terms of story and some work on the core systems (as in not using any kind of Dungeons and Dragons rules) it would make quite the intriguing game. But again, this is speculating well after the actual game was revealed. A guy can dream though.

Interesting, sounds kind of like Heroes of Might and Magic only they didn't balance the heroes to all be the same power level?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I don't play RPGs for fanservice, but if a dev wants to put fanservice in their game, I don't mind because it's their choice. But like the other guys said, this is probably a bad topic to go towards unless it actually comes up with something related to PoE, so I'm not gonna go into depth about this.

So, now that I'm amped up to play a Druid in this game, what other RPGs have druids that are fun to play?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't play RPGs for fanservice, but if a dev wants to put fanservice in their game, I don't mind because it's their choice.

It's also the player's choice to dislike fanservice and complain about it. Everyone has choice and it's pretty cool.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't play RPGs for fanservice, but if a dev wants to put fanservice in their game, I don't mind because it's their choice. But like the other guys said, this is probably a bad topic to go towards unless it actually comes up with something related to PoE, so I'm not gonna go into depth about this.

So, now that I'm amped up to play a Druid in this game, what other RPGs have druids that are fun to play?

The Shifter in NWN1 is kind of amazing in how absurdly versatile it gets once you start getting into epic levels and picking up stuff like Vampire Lord Shape and Kobold Commando Shape (An awesome sneak attack machine).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fuschia tude posted:

Well, in that RPS interview Urquhart estimated that 10x as many people will buy the finished game as backed it 18 months ago. That would be a fair number of sales, especially with an average purchase price above the backer cost to get a copy.

That would be around 700,000. But I already put my money down on a 1,000,000+. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fintilgin posted:

That would be around 700,000. But I already put my money down on a 1,000,000+. :colbert:

Which is going to net them what, in real money terms? We're talking somewhere north of ten million, even after Pdox/Steam et al take their cut, right? :catstare:

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
"Clickbait" is something people have invented so they don't have to deal with opposing viewpoints. That way you can just dismiss instead of engaging. It's an accusation against which there is no defense, you can accuse any article that gets views of being "clickbait".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

^^ quotebait

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

epitasis posted:

^^ quotebait

Haha

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CSM posted:

"Clickbait" is something people have invented so they don't have to deal with opposing viewpoints. That way you can just dismiss instead of engaging. It's an accusation against which there is no defense, you can accuse any article that gets views of being "clickbait".

Sure, but you'd be wrong.

It's just like how while you can call anyone a Spaniard, it only applies in very specific instances - but for those instances it's quite alright.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So, now that PI is publisher of PoE, it's only fitting to include a dialogue option "give her/him/it a good tumble" somewhere.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

So, now that PI is publisher of PoE, it's only fitting to include a dialogue option "give her/him/it a good tumble" somewhere.

Nah, that's be dangerously close to a Bioware Romance.

Though a comparison to Witcher 1 would fit the phrasing more closely...

[edit] If included in fact should involve Gymnasts, not romance.

Munin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 21, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I didn't mean it as a start of a romance, i meant it as a [Clever - Minor] joke.

- So, what do you want us to do with all these bills?

- Give them a good tumble.

- What?

- :smug:

EDIT: It's a Crusader Kings 2 joke, don't laugh.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

All I want from CK2 is every character having a little "murder this fucker" button beneath their portrait.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, can your party members in this game learn skills relating to Diplomacy and Speechcraft and what not, or is that entirely for the player like in most other games?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last I heard there are no conversation-specific skills (or a charisma stat). Conversations will check skills and attributes at various points, but there will be no Persuade or Barter or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

Interesting, sounds kind of like Heroes of Might and Magic only they didn't balance the heroes to all be the same power level?

Seems like it, yeah. Not to mention some of the factions had extremely powerful abilities that beat most everything else in the game, which is why you'd ally with the evil necromancer as a good character to get access to his skeleton hordes.

• Locked thread