Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Definitely, brett is yeast so it can do the job all on its own. If you really want the Brett character to come through you need to underpitch, brett is actually pretty clean when it's treated like regular yeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Just learned something distressing about my blackberry...apparentlyif you hold the caps button while pressing delete, it deletes everything. Good bye, post...

Anyway, has anyone tried the BSG HandCraft beer kits, and if so what were your thoughts? I normally don't use kits, since you can usually find recipes and collect all of the ingredients for much cheaper yourself, but my semi-local brew shop has a bunch on sale that are in styles that I really want to brew.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Mead makers - I've done a few now, and have noticed honey add a really pronounced body, is that just me? It's made my near 1.000 braggots seemingly not 'dry', the straight meads have it too. Is it just the honey I used? Or is this normal?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Jacobey000 posted:

Mead makers - I've done a few now, and have noticed honey add a really pronounced body, is that just me? It's made my near 1.000 braggots seemingly not 'dry', the straight meads have it too. Is it just the honey I used? Or is this normal?

I've noticed this too, especially with some decent age on the mead. My three honey traditional has an insane body despite the gravity being fairly low.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
What was your OG?

Remember that the delta between your OG and FG is only apparent attenuation, not actual attenuation, because alcohol is less dense than water. So while the significant gravity may be around that of water, if it's 13 or 14% alcohol, there are still significant amounts of dissolved solids, which would add to body and mouthfeel.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Jo3sh posted:

What was your OG?

Remember that the delta between your OG and FG is only apparent attenuation, not actual attenuation, because alcohol is less dense than water. So while the significant gravity may be around that of water, if it's 13 or 14% alcohol, there are still significant amounts of dissolved solids, which would add to body and mouthfeel.

I've only done small meads, 6-7% and the braggot was 4%. Which is even more perplexing.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I've noticed this too, especially with some decent age on the mead. My three honey traditional has an insane body despite the gravity being fairly low.

That may be it. When I tasted them young it seems quite dry and now their 8 months out* and the body is there.

*(save for the 1 month old braggot)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Welp, we figured out why my buddies efficiency was so low. His thermometer reads 10 degrees high. So he was mashing his IPAs at 138.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

Toxx posted:

I made a lower gravity oatmeal stout (.048)awhile back that I asked in this thread about adding coffee to. The stout has been in primary for 14 days. I took a gravity sample last night and it read at .009. I used safale 04 british ale yeast. My issue is the fact that my airlock is still popping occasionally (Maybe every 2-3 minutes at the most. I notice it very occasionally). This wouldn't concern me because it could be residual CO2 however the fact that I took the lid off last night to check the gravity and combined with the fact that this was a 2gl batch in a 5gl bucket makes me concerned that it's still fermenting. I wouldn't necessarily care but I have nothing to rack it into and I don't want the coffee beans to sit in there for too much longer. I'm going to take another reading tonight but .009 seems really on the low end. Given the yeast, the time it's been in primary, and the gravity I feel like it's supposed to be way done.

So my question: Think I'm good to bottle? My bottling bucket's currently occupied as a fermenter. I have a 3gl container I'm going to rack into and then bottle via my siphon and a bottling wand. The 3gl container doesn't have the opportunity for any kind of airlock contraption so my options are to really leave the beer where it is or bottle it.

Edit #2 - I'm moving in April. About two months after I started making beer. I bought a 5gl igloo drink cooler and converted it, however I didn't save the original plastic nozzles for whatever reason. After I move I am going to upgrade my boiling equipment to a 40qt pot and a propane burner. The 5gl does fine for my 2-4gl batches I do now, but I'd like to do 5gl consistently and the 5gl cooler will obviously pose problems for higher gravity beers. I'll either have two thick of a grain bed or not enough space. Switching to a 10gl cooler is what I plan on doing. Now I'm left with a 5gl cooler with a hole in the bottom of it. I was thinking I could use this as a holding tank for sparge water and build a fly sparging set up. Or for batch sparging (which I currently do) What do I do with this 5gl cooler once I upgrade to a 10gl?

I bottled today. It was still about .009 (Maybe a hair less?) Seemed inane to let it keep going. The quicker I get my beers bottled the easier packing for moving is going to be. And I quoted this because I'm still wondering if there are any suggestions for my 5gl cooler. Do coolers hold pressure?

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Lambic mead stuff

Oh man, I'm even more excited to see how mine comes out.

Is there any reason I couldn't brew wort for a normal sour and reuse the yeast cake from the lambic mead? I assume the yeast/bugs would be just as happy to eat beer-type sugars as they would mead-type, right?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I'm sure it would be fine, but I think honey has mostly single molecule sugars whereas the maltose that makes up beer is two bonded sugar molecules.
They may have trouble chowing down on the more complex sugar for the same reasons you don't use white sugar in a starter.

:Edit: also, I never saw a confirmation you got my beers for Secret Santa, it showed up, right?

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Daedalus Esquire posted:

:Edit: also, I never saw a confirmation you got my beers for Secret Santa, it showed up, right?

Nope, haven't seen anything.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Whaaaat really? I fedexed 6 beers back at the end if January. I'll go and see if I can find my fedex receipt. I may just have to send you a gift card since that was basically the last of my bottled beers.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
Weird. Yeah, I never saw anything. If you want, shoot me an email at username at gmail.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/Venturi-Aeration-Experiment.html

Saw this posted today, and I am intrigued. Has anybody tried something similar or know of any proper studies that show oxygenation and whatnot?

Taking twice as long to siphon is still quicker than sitting with an aquarium pump for half an hour(and seems less foamy), and the materials are way cheaper than using pure oxygen

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BLARGHLE posted:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/Venturi-Aeration-Experiment.html

Saw this posted today, and I am intrigued. Has anybody tried something similar or know of any proper studies that show oxygenation and whatnot?

Taking twice as long to siphon is still quicker than sitting with an aquarium pump for half an hour(and seems less foamy), and the materials are way cheaper than using pure oxygen

I saw something on BYO about this, and it seems to be legit. He used a 3-way fitting instead though.

Edit: Here it is http://byo.com/stories/wizard/item/2891-aeration-mr-wizard

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 20, 2014

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

LeeMajors posted:

I saw something on BYO about this, and it seems to be legit. He used a 3-way fitting instead though.

Yeah, I saw a lot of people mention the T connector in the comments of the other article, and that seems like a much better way to go. Get one with a valve, and it seems like you'd have more control over the process.

To the hardware store!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I use something like that to aerate my wort, although I've never checked O2 levels or anything like that. I have a piece of silicone tubing I use when I pump cooled wort into the fermenters. It has a ring of holes in it to entrain air.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

ADVENTURES IN NO CHILL BREWING

Okay, so I have been out of brewing for about a year and have only started again in the past month and a half. I had a working 10-15g AG brewhouse I used with friends, with all the trappings and Goldberg machinations you could imagine. After a bit of creative/personal conflicts, I split with them and started brewing on my own. I sold my whitewater kayak, and built a partial brewhouse before being distracted by career/housebuying/etc.

Anyways, in this process, I decided to go 5g to start. I finished assembling my equipment, and started finalizing my process. I had been reading about no-chill brewing and the idea of pitching at my convenience really appealed to me. In spite of the logical shortcoming you would expect, I couldn't find any no-chill brewers that experienced chill-haze or DMS problems. So, I girded my loins, bought two winpack pails, and decided to give it a shot.

My first batch, a dry stout, came in slightly under efficiency. The brew day was rife with typical first-batch mistakes. I didn't properly adjust hop additions and my gravity samples seemed more bitter than anticipated. I hoped it would mellow in-bottle.

So, five weeks later, I finally cracked my first bottle.

Turned out fantastic. The bitterness problem is there, but is less pronounced under carbonation. No DMS or weird off-flavors in my final brew. Clarity is good, with no real haze around the rim noted.

Not bad. Pretty encouraging for a simplified process to produce decent beer. I will still eventually chill in the future, but right now this does just fine.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

LeeMajors posted:

ADVENTURES IN NO CHILL BREWING

Okay, so I have been out of brewing for about a year and have only started again in the past month and a half. I had a working 10-15g AG brewhouse I used with friends, with all the trappings and Goldberg machinations you could imagine. After a bit of creative/personal conflicts, I split with them and started brewing on my own. I sold my whitewater kayak, and built a partial brewhouse before being distracted by career/housebuying/etc.

Anyways, in this process, I decided to go 5g to start. I finished assembling my equipment, and started finalizing my process. I had been reading about no-chill brewing and the idea of pitching at my convenience really appealed to me. In spite of the logical shortcoming you would expect, I couldn't find any no-chill brewers that experienced chill-haze or DMS problems. So, I girded my loins, bought two winpack pails, and decided to give it a shot.

My first batch, a dry stout, came in slightly under efficiency. The brew day was rife with typical first-batch mistakes. I didn't properly adjust hop additions and my gravity samples seemed more bitter than anticipated. I hoped it would mellow in-bottle.

So, five weeks later, I finally cracked my first bottle.

Turned out fantastic. The bitterness problem is there, but is less pronounced under carbonation. No DMS or weird off-flavors in my final brew. Clarity is good, with no real haze around the rim noted.

Not bad. Pretty encouraging for a simplified process to produce decent beer. I will still eventually chill in the future, but right now this does just fine.

How long did you let it sit before pitching? The epsidode of Basic Brewing where they did triangle tests on split batches that where chilled/no chilled seemed like there was no difference in taste.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sistergodiva posted:

How long did you let it sit before pitching? The epsidode of Basic Brewing where they did triangle tests on split batches that where chilled/no chilled seemed like there was no difference in taste.

This batch I think I pitched US05 a little hot--maybe in the mid-70s, and that was after about 18hrs.

The second batch that I'm bottling today (MO/Northern Brewer SMASH with Notty) I let sit for about 30 before pitching at perfect temps. I adjusted hop additions and did a big dry-hop addition as well and it has none of the flavor balance issues I got from the extended time above 170F.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Speaking of oxygenation, what size tubing do you guys use with a 3/8" OD racking cane? I got some replacement tubing and the guy at the homebrew shop recommended the 3/8" ID stuff, but I feel like I was getting a lot of air in there while kegging unless I held it in a certain way and tightened it pretty good with a hose clamp. This batch is a pretty simple pale ale so it'll probably be gone before I have to worry too much about oxidation, but I think unless I hear otherwise I'll be grabbing some 1/4" ID tubing.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I think mine is 5/16" ID.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone know about shipping homebrew out of the US? I know it's technically illegal to ship it USPS in the first place but am I going to get arrested trying to FedEx a 6-pack to Mexico?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I finally grabbed a copy of Brewing Classic Styles because ... it's probably the only book I don't have at this point that's worth reading. That and I can't get enough of Jamil's extreme :spergin:

6 smackpacks of yeast for 1 five gallon batch? Of course, Jamil!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

Of course, Jamil!

And if you do it any other way, you're wrong and your beer will suck.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

fullroundaction posted:

I finally grabbed a copy of Brewing Classic Styles because ... it's probably the only book I don't have at this point that's worth reading.

I have like 30 beer and brewing books and Brewing Classic Styles is one of my least favorite. It's really not my kind of book since I rarely make others' recipes but I got it back when I did and never really enjoyed anything out of it. Plus it's geared towards extract brewers which is fine but I wish I would have known that before I bought it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

I have like 30 beer and brewing books and Brewing Classic Styles is one of my least favorite. It's really not my kind of book since I rarely make others' recipes but I got it back when I did and never really enjoyed anything out of it. Plus it's geared towards extract brewers which is fine but I wish I would have known that before I bought it.

Brewing Classic Styles series I think the only one I have is smoked beers because it goes into detail and science wise abit more about smoking your own malt and such. Aswell as the history etc, it also gave me the idea of doing stuff like homesmoking my malt with coconut shells!

The others I haven't touched and don't plan on, however I have ran out of books to read and there is two books I think I got stung on. Hops / Water are two books I want to get (got Yeast), read the farmhouse and wildbrew books, radical brewing, ofcourse first two were how to brew and joy of homebrewing. Got a couple others and such but it feels I've hit a gap where I can't find any new good books (apart from Hops/Water). Be great sometime to do a database of goon rated homebrew books like we did with the yeast database!

Edit: Ah got Brewing Classic Styles book mixed up with the Classic Styles series, never read Brewing Classic Styles.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 20, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Josh Wow posted:

It's really easy to convert the recipes though since he gives %s for each. I like to look at his recipes and read his explanations for each style. I've built some beers around his recipes, altering them a bit to my liking, and they've come out great.

I highly recommend it myself.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah it's a good kicking off point if you've never made a certain style, and I do like his TLDR on what the keys to success on each one are.

That said, I totally get why people wouldn't like it.

Basically all the world needs is a couple "how to brew" pages added to the front of Radical Brewing and we can take all the other books out of circulation.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Midorka posted:

It's really easy to convert the recipes though since he gives %s for each. I like to look at his recipes and read his explanations for each style. I've built some beers around his recipes, altering them a bit to my liking, and they've come out great.

I work in a Homebrew store, and I recommend it to a lot of customers. Good overview of the styles and easy to understand recipes which are a great baseline for making your own changes.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

Basically all the world needs is a couple "how to brew" pages added to the front of Radical Brewing and we can take all the other books out of circulation.

Yea pretty much this. Haha.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Josh Wow posted:

What its good for isn't "recipes," so to speak, but mostly that he explains what the beer is supposed to taste like and how to actually get it to taste that way.

Midorka posted:

I mean, he tells you what the all-grain recipes are too. I think someone's actually put them all into Beersmith files, too.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah it's a good kicking off point if you've never made a certain style, and I do like his TLDR on what the keys to success on each one are.

That said, I totally get why people wouldn't like it.

I like it as a first reference point, being a relatively new brewer. "Hmm, what goes into a Belgian Golden Strong, generally" -> "pils, sugar, 30 IBUs of noble hops, one of these two yeasts" is nice to have around.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I dunno, like I said I've made several of the recipes and didn't really like any of them. I'll admit I generally have different tastes than most folks but none of his recipes I've made have been a good example of the style. The worst was his 60/- with a lot of specialty malts, it tasted like a super sweet light brown ale rather than any sort of Scottish ale.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

Definitely, brett is yeast so it can do the job all on its own. If you really want the Brett character to come through you need to underpitch, brett is actually pretty clean when it's treated like regular yeast.

It isn't, really. Brett just takes a long time to develop characteristic flavors.

Josh Wow posted:

I dunno, like I said I've made several of the recipes and didn't really like any of them. I'll admit I generally have different tastes than most folks but none of his recipes I've made have been a good example of the style. The worst was his 60/- with a lot of specialty malts, it tasted like a super sweet light brown ale rather than any sort of Scottish ale.

He does say that he was trying to find a way to substitute caramelizing the wort on that one, though. I think he had a strange yeast choice on that one too, though. I would have used WLP002 or Edinburgh Ale yeast, but he went with WLP001.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I use it as a reference point. If I want to make a new style, I compare the BCS recipe with an internet "clone" recipe of my favorite beer from the style, and come up with something along that spectrum. I like every recipe I've made verbatim from it, which is admittedly only a few.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I always use my LHBS,if I was to send ingredients to someone via an online brewing store does anyone have a recommendation?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Yea pretty much this. Haha.

That drat book. After my first year, it's easily the most often opened book in my beer books.

iirc, there is infact a short and very brief "how to brew" section in the first chapter or two - I remember it being really pragmatic.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
As goofy as the book was, Sam Calgione's "ExTrEmE Brewing" had a really good how-to-brew intro (bare minimum info, step by step instructions, no advanced theory). I'd probably recommend that over Palmer for anyone who was completely brand new.

I know how stupid that sounds, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Is Designing Great Beers book any good? I've heard mixed feelings on both extremes about it, some say its amazing and very helpful for designing beers, others talked about it giving bad habits (which is why I never got it).

Fluo fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 21, 2014