Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
All these awesome trails in Europe have me wondering, is there a good guidebook (or ANY guidebook) in English for the various long distance trails in Europe? Wiki has lists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_long-distance_paths, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long-distance_footpaths#Europe) but hardly any pictures or juicy descriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Got my campground reservations in for Tuolumne Meadows this morning so got all my travel logistics all sorted out for the JMT. Next step is figuring out an itinerary on the trial and resupplies and that's about it! Pretty psyched

Hoping to figure out some short side trips or maybe work out camping at some off the trail out of the way areas while on the trail. Don't mind spending a few miles to go to a lake off the trail that won't have other people at it.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Well the Grand Teton weather isn't looking so great in 10 days. It seems to be getting colder and snowier. I'll still keep checking the reports though.

Since Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and Joshua Tree National Park are close to each other, I figured it would make an equally exciting trip. Has anyone ever hiked these?

I love the desert. Makes sense to go before it gets unbearably hot.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Levitate posted:

Got my campground reservations in for Tuolumne Meadows this morning so got all my travel logistics all sorted out for the JMT. Next step is figuring out an itinerary on the trial and resupplies and that's about it! Pretty psyched

Hoping to figure out some short side trips or maybe work out camping at some off the trail out of the way areas while on the trail. Don't mind spending a few miles to go to a lake off the trail that won't have other people at it.

I think you will end up not wanting to go off trail much, but that has just been my experience. There are tons of spots to camp away from people. I will say, resupplying over Kearsarge is worth it if you're into checking things out. I went out via the lower bullfrog trail and came back to the jmt/pct using the high trail. That whole basin is filled with killer lakes/ponds and the pass is fairly easy as far as sierra passes go. Just double check where you can and cannot camp, because I know there are restrictions in the bullfrog lake area. Going down the east side has great views down into Independence/Hwy 395. It can take a minute or two to hitch, but there is a campground right there at onion valley so the road sees a decent amount of traffic. Once in Independnce, you have a few options. The PO/Subway/Gas station are right next to each other and there is a bus that you can catch that runs up and down 395 so Bishop and Lone Pine are just a short ride away.

Also, I just finished my Florida Trail thru hike on the 13th, so if anyone wants to know anything about that I've got time to type. :taco:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Heads up to anyone who might be in the Canadian Rockies right now: there have been multiple avalanches all over the place today, and a father and son were killed by one well below the treeline on the shores of Lake Louise, which is a huge front-country destination attracting hundreds of people a day. Conditions are ugly right now, so stay safe!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Picnic Princess posted:

Heads up to anyone who might be in the Canadian Rockies right now: there have been multiple avalanches all over the place today, and a father and son were killed by one well below the treeline on the shores of Lake Louise, which is a huge front-country destination attracting hundreds of people a day. Conditions are ugly right now, so stay safe!

That loving sucks.

I guess this is a rare exception rather than a rule.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Telesphorus posted:

Well the Grand Teton weather isn't looking so great in 10 days. It seems to be getting colder and snowier. I'll still keep checking the reports though.

Since Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and Joshua Tree National Park are close to each other, I figured it would make an equally exciting trip. Has anyone ever hiked these?

I love the desert. Makes sense to go before it gets unbearably hot.

Both of those desert parks are amazing. If you get lucky you might get to see the wildflowers bloom while you're visiting.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Should I shell out the money doe a legit lensatic compass or will a 10 dollar BSA compass work just fine?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Depends, do you plan to hike off-trail and navigate purely with map and compass? How far into the wilderness do you plan to go?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

If you have to ask, you probably don't need it

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Lens compasses are pretty cool, but in my experience, a regular compass with a decent bearing will do you fine 98% of the time you need to use a compass. I've even used a simple orienteering compass in peak triangulation, which is what you're supposed to use a lens compass for, and it worked pretty much fine, though I'm sure the nicer compass would have been, well, nicer.

The one thing you might NOT want is a super cheap $1 compass on a keychain or something. The needle's bearing might be crappy and stick a lot, and you might get a direction wrong. But you can get a decent compass for $10-15, in the US at least.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Joe Videogames posted:

That loving sucks.

I guess this is a rare exception rather than a rule.

Please stay out of the snowy back country for your own sake as well as anyone else you could bury in a slide.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It turns out there were four deaths this past week in the same valley due to avalanches. That doesn't include all the live rescues that have occurred. I'd hazard to say that these are not exceptions. Spring in the Rockies is seriously treacherous, especially now that we've been having record-breaking precipitation over the winter months the past few years. Snow up to a foot deep is still falling on some nights when temperatures drop, which then develops wind slabs and surface hoar during the day when it's warm, which then gets covered again with a new layer. This is leading to avalanches everywhere all the time, with human-triggered events happening almost daily.

Even my insane backcountry ski friend is sticking to the resort slopes right now, and he jumps off cliffs.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not sure if this thread or the climbing thread is the better place for this post, since we don't have a dedicated canyoneering thread, but I'll put it here for now. This weekend I took my first technical canyoneering trip, into the Salome Jug near Roosevelt Lake in Arizona. Living in the Southwest I've spent lots of time exploring non-technical slot canyons in the Grand Canyon, Zion and other places, where wading and swimming is necessary no technical ropework is required, and this past 6 months I've been slowly accumulating the gear and skills to finally make the jump to the technical stuff. This is some of the most fun outdoor adventure I've ever been involved in; it's basically the equivalent of going to a waterpark for grownups.

Here's a video I put together with photos and video clips from this weekend's trip. I'm getting married in April, and once that's done I plan to spend as much time as possible out in the canyons this year.

Anyone else into canyoneering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hppH84SmunE

edit: not sure why the video is having trouble embedding, so I'm just putting the direct link instead

MojoAZ fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 17, 2014

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Gear question; for snowshoeing and / or backpacking in snowy conditions would a good softshell pant like the Marmot scree be enough to keep warm and dry (with an extra insulating base layer if really cold)? Or should I invest in a hardshell waterproof pant and then just layer normal hiking pants (and again possibly thermal base layer) underneath?

Doing my first snow camping experience soon and pants are the only piece of gear that I'm somewhat concerned about and not sure what to get.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Scree pant with thermals will be plenty. Particularly if its cold enough that the snow isn't sloppy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been using an REI quarterdome T2 tent for years. I've always been interested in using tarp tents but the weight savings never seemed to justify the cost of switching. Right now with poles, stakes, guy lines, footprint and the tent itseld I'm at just a little under 4 pounds with it being kind of long and bulky due to the poles. So I could go out and buy an expensive tarp tent and by the time I add in a bug liner I've spent $300 and saved maybe 2 pounds?

Am I missing something or is there some other setup you all use? Don't get me wrong I've setup plenty of Wheelens in the past and they are kind of fun, but I just don't get the tarp tent love.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The Tarptent Contrail looks like a pretty nice and cheap tarp tent @ 1.7 lbs and $209 new. They pop up on backpackinglight's gear swap forum from time to time as well for ~$175. I'd say if your tent is over 4 lbs, getting a lighter one could be one of the biggest bang for the buck purchases out there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Thing is 2 lbs is a lot of weight savings when it comes to reducing the amount of weight you're carrying. That's plenty to justify the cost for people who feel like they have the money to spend on it. If you feel like spending the money isn't worth it to you though, then don't worry about it! Problem is a lot of lightweight gear can be fairly expensive unless you can hunt around for used or deals. Lightweight tents are also generally expensive (BA Fly Creek UL2 for example being $300 or so). Also at this point (might have been different in the past), tarptents are really just tents with some different mechanisms to put them up.

If you felt comfortable just using a tarp and learning how to set it up effectively then you can probably find cheaper and lighter deals, but I'm just guessing since off the top of my head I'm not sure who sells a cheap lightweight tarp.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Two pounds is roughly a day's worth of food, if memory serves.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Am I missing something or is there some other setup you all use? Don't get me wrong I've setup plenty of Wheelens in the past and they are kind of fun, but I just don't get the tarp tent love.

From my perspective, there are only so many items in your kit that you can squeeze significant weight savings out of, and the tent is a big one. I also know that I'm going to be using trekking poles, so part of the appeal to me is making that item multi-use while also shaving weight off my pack. Also, I used to use a half dome, and fitting the tent poles in my backpack with everything else was kind of a pain. Knowing that I'm going to be hiking in an area which needs a bearcan this summer, pack space has also become a concern for me. Not to mention the extra 2-3 lbs the bearcan adds, so negating that is also a concern. A tarptent allows me to fit everything in the pack for much lighter, while using the "tent poles" part for something else along the hike, outside of the pack where it isn't causing problems. This means I can go for a slightly smaller, and hence lighter, backpack.

I was taking a look at the quarterdome you've had for awhile, versus the current quarterdome offered for sale, vs the tarptent I've been using (a notch). The new quarterdome model has shaved about 14 ounces off of the old weight and is retailing at 300.00 without the footprint. Though it is smaller (90 x 54 inches for the quarterdome, 84 x 32 inches for the notch), a new notch is 275.00, +12 if you buy a tyvek groundsheet with it. The weight difference is 2 lb 4 ounces from the advertised minimum pack weight, which tends to be optimistic based on my experience with the halfdome. The aforementioned contrail is only marginally heavier and about 70 bucks cheaper too if you're ok with a single wall tent.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 19, 2014

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yiggy posted:

From my perspective, there are only so many items in your kit that you can squeeze significant weight savings out of, and the tent is a big one. I also know that I'm going to be using trekking poles, so part of the appeal to me is making that item multi-use while also shaving weight off my pack. Also, I used to use a half dome, and fitting the tent poles in my backpack with everything else was kind of a pain. Knowing that I'm going to be hiking in an area which needs a bearcan this summer, pack space has also become a concern for me. Not to mention the extra 2-3 lbs the bearcan adds, so negating that is also a concern. A tarptent allows me to fit everything in the pack for much lighter, while using the "tent poles" part for something else along the hike, outside of the pack where it isn't causing problems. This means I can go for a slightly smaller, and hence lighter, backpack.

I was taking a look at the quarterdome you've had for awhile, versus the current quarterdome offered for sale, vs the tarptent I've been using (a notch). The new quarterdome model has shaved about 14 ounces off of the old weight and is retailing at 300.00 without the footprint. Though it is smaller (90 x 54 inches for the quarterdome, 84 x 32 inches for the notch), a new notch is 275.00, +12 if you buy a tyvek groundsheet with it. The weight difference is 2 lb 4 ounces from the advertised minimum pack weight, which tends to be optimistic based on my experience with the halfdome. The aforementioned contrail is only marginally heavier and about 70 bucks cheaper too if you're ok with a single wall tent.

Wow I hadnt realized they had shaved off so much weight with the new one. Part of the reason I havent gone full tarp tent yet is that I don't use hiking poles. Also for years I lived in Western Alaska and the closest thing we had to trees were tiny little Willows so I couldnt really tie down to anything. I've already got my sleeping pad, bag (though I may upgrade to a newer down 20 degree bag, even though I love my cats meow 20), and pack down to pretty light weights. Switched out my jet boil to a tiny trangia stove. Tent is the last frontier gear wise for me. Plus I've always been of the opinion that its better to loose 2 pounds of belly fat then spend $300 to save 2 pounds.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Tarptent Moment doesn't require hiking poles and is still pretty light for a one person tent. $285 so a bit more pricey

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Most of the tarp style tens out there are available with optional poles as well. Adds back a little weight but it's still going to be lighter since so much of the stability relies on guy lines over fully caged tent poles in traditional tents.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Good timing on this discussion. I'll be section-hiking the Colorado Trail this summer, much of it above treeline. As a result, my Hennessy hammock won't be as useful. I've just bought a Golite tarp tent and I'll be using my hiking poles with it. Bugs aren't really an issue here, so I'm not bothering with a nest. I may look at a bivy for protection from heavy rain. This is instead of my older REI quarter dome rig.

(not my pic:)

I've got some Tyvek I'll cut to use as a ground sheet under my pad. I've set it up a couple of times in the backyard, and will need to play with it a little more to be ready for rainy/windy set up conditions. Setting up the hammock fly in the rain is all muscle-memory; I hope to get the tarp tent to that point.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Good timing on this discussion. I'll be section-hiking the Colorado Trail this summer, much of it above treeline. As a result, my Hennessy hammock won't be as useful. I've just bought a Golite tarp tent and I'll be using my hiking poles with it. Bugs aren't really an issue here, so I'm not bothering with a nest. I may look at a bivy for protection from heavy rain. This is instead of my older REI quarter dome rig.

I've got some Tyvek I'll cut to use as a ground sheet under my pad. I've set it up a couple of times in the backyard, and will need to play with it a little more to be ready for rainy/windy set up conditions. Setting up the hammock fly in the rain is all muscle-memory; I hope to get the tarp tent to that point.

Yeah I'm really fascinated by them because they do look so versatile, although less so for me since I don't use poles and lived in a treeless area for so long. Plus all the hardcore types seem to do really well with them. I know some hunters in the brooks range use tarp tents in an ultralight setup and seem to do well in that region. Keeps them dry and blocks some of the wind.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

BaseballPCHiker posted:

lived in a treeless area for so long
You don't need trees to set them up. The guy lines are held in place with stakes pounded into the ground. If you camp above the treeline, on the other hand, it can be tough to get the stakes into the ground when there isn't much dirt. I've seen people attach the guy line to the stake then stack rocks on the stake to get it to stay taught.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

REI dividends came out today. Got a whopping $13! Also Campsaver is running a %20 off one full price item, dont know if that is for people on their email list or store wide. Now seems like a good time to stock up for the summer season.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

REI dividends came out today. Got a whopping $13! Also Campsaver is running a %20 off one full price item, dont know if that is for people on their email list or store wide. Now seems like a good time to stock up for the summer season.

REI's 20% coupon is supposedly running 28 Mar - 11 Apr, so now's definitely the time to pick up those big ticket items for summer. There should also be an REI Attic Sale around the end of the month as well.

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice
Does anyone ITT carry while they go hiking/backpacking? Florida allows for Open Carry when hunting/fishing/camping. Bears aren't a huge problem, depending on what part of the state you're in. I've ran into a couple of cougars though (which if you shoot one your life better have been in real danger because a game warden will gently caress you with charges). I OC a Glock 20, but this is also on private property that my friend owns.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Don't carry a pistol while hiking you idiot

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress My rear end posted:

Does anyone ITT carry while they go hiking/backpacking? Florida allows for Open Carry when hunting/fishing/camping. Bears aren't a huge problem, depending on what part of the state you're in. I've ran into a couple of cougars though (which if you shoot one your life better have been in real danger because a game warden will gently caress you with charges). I OC a Glock 20, but this is also on private property that my friend owns.

Maybe talk to the fine folks at the TFR Hiking/Outdoors Thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490050

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd be more concerned about other people than animals really. And you can be pretty far from law enforcement so you can't really depend on anyone to help you.

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice

hailthefish posted:

Maybe talk to the fine folks at the TFR Hiking/Outdoors Thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490050
Cool thanks man

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'd be more concerned about other people than animals really. And you can be pretty far from law enforcement so you can't really depend on anyone to help you.
Yes, another good point. A firearm is one of the tools you never want to use, but you'd be SOL if you needed it and didn't have it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Don't carry a pistol while hiking you idiot

It is legally allowed here in Florida. Even in state parks, not to mention you could CC if you have a permit, but OC is allowed while camping/fishing/hunting without a permit. I don't see what is so idiotic about it. Also, there is no need to be rude. I was just trying to get everyones general opinion.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

If you see a cougar, then you're fine if you know how to behave. If one wants to attack you you'll never have a chance to draw a firearm. Even if you did, good luck aiming well while it's coming at you and killing it before it kills you. Same for bears. I could understand a shotgun or range rifle if you're in an area frequented with grizzlies, but you're not.

No one is going to attack you while backpacking. It's less likely then than it is in some other cowardly fantasy when you get to defend grandma in the supermarket. You're going to do nothing other than make other people uncomfortable and suspicious of you, or worse, get trigger happy when you think someone is approaching you at night. Carry a knife or something if you want to engage in some macho fantasy. Or just knock that poo poo off. You deserve to be mocked.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh gently caress off already.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

No one is going to attack you while backpacking. It's less likely then than it is in some other cowardly fantasy when you get to defend grandma in the supermarket. You're going to do nothing other than make other people uncomfortable and suspicious of you, or worse, get trigger happy when you think someone is approaching you at night. Carry a knife or something if you want to engage in some macho fantasy. Or just knock that poo poo off. You deserve to be mocked.

Quoting this because he is right.

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice

If you see a cougar, then you're fine if you know how to behave. If one wants to attack you you'll never have a chance to draw a firearm. Even if you did, good luck aiming well while it's coming at you and killing it before it kills you. Same for bears. I could understand a shotgun or range rifle if you're in an area frequented with grizzlies, but you're not.

I'm not gonna bother arguing with you. As long as it is legal, I'm going to continue to do it, and if one was going to attack me, I'd atleast like to die knowing I tried to stop it, instead of standing there and letting it eat me. I'm sorry, but your logic fails to make any sense. Thanks for the discussion.

Edit: I'm also in the military IRL, so I'm more than adequately trained on how to properly use a pistol and how to handle myself during a stressful situation such as a cougar charging at me.

Fuck My Ass fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 21, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hailthefish posted:

Oh gently caress off already.
No really, keep your guns away thanks.

gently caress My rear end posted:

Edit: I'm also in the military IRL, so I'm more than adequately trained on how to properly use a pistol and how to handle myself during a stressful situation such as a cougar charging at me.
Yeah ok buddy.

Cougar won't ever loving charge you, but I'm sure you'll gently caress him up good!

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

No really, keep your guns away thanks.

Nope. Sorry.