Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Ok help me out here, this is my first episode of Hell's Kitchen and my grandma was watching it and I saw the surprise elimination, what did Nicole do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Welp, see ya. Would have been gone first if Gaurav wasn't so nonchalant about the finger thing.

Even her black jacket photo looks dull.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I hate Rochelle more than I thought it was physically possible to hate another person

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Suzuki Method posted:

Ok help me out here, this is my first episode of Hell's Kitchen and my grandma was watching it and I saw the surprise elimination, what did Nicole do?

She was Nicole

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

Nothing. For 2 episodes.

She gave up every time there was a tiny snag and literally had no clue what was going on.

Gordon not only looks at the last service, he looks at all the services as a whole to see what type of attitude the contestants have. If you gently caress up, and try to fight back, he sees that as better than one who just says "gently caress this."

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Suzuki Method posted:

It's worth noting that Ramsay basically does whatever he wants, the nominations are more just suggestions.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

liltimshady posted:

And she went out like a bitch.

No, she said she wasn't a bitch. :v:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Cyril Sneer posted:

It's worth noting that Ramsay basically does whatever he wants, the nominations are more just suggestions.

Yeah, I just had no idea about Nicole, I only caught the tail end of this episode and haven't seen any other episodes, haha.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tasteful Bulge posted:

It's not only that, but some of the "contestants" have contracts that guarantee they won't be eliminated until after so many episodes/eliminations. For all intents and purposes that contestant could fire scallops across the dining room from their rear end, and Ramsay would still have to find a reason to tell the person standing next to them at elimination to "hand me your jacket, big boy."

Where did you learn about this, is there an article about it or something? I'd heard about the messing with the stove thing somewhere, but never this one.

liltimshady posted:

No passion, no fight-back, no leadership.

Out of Beth, Simone, DeMarco, and Gabriel, Ramsay kicks out...

Nicole. :byewhore:

Man, he just hated her from the get go. I'm sure he had a producer's hand up his rear end though since she just had no personality. She certainly didn't do anything as terrible as "serving raw chicken twice in a row."

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

raditts posted:

Where did you learn about this, is there an article about it or something? I'd heard about the messing with the stove thing somewhere, but never this one.

Man, he just hated her from the get go. I'm sure he had a producer's hand up his rear end though since she just had no personality. She certainly didn't do anything as terrible as "serving raw chicken twice in a row."

Nah Gordon hates boring people just as much as producers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheChad posted:

Nah Gordon hates boring people just as much as producers.

Nicole was DOA after her first service of mostly sullen silence and incompetence, followed by a repeat of the same for the second service. It's one thing to be a loud, brash, aggressive gently caress-up, its another to just fade into the background. Almost every other cook was loud, cursing, and getting screen time. I don't think they ever cut to one of those talking head bits for her during service.

It's a shame, she had the makings of a fantastic incompetent contestant, she was just too dull.

Also, I'm getting tired of the "hungry customers are waiting for the meals, and they aren't happy." No one gets a table at Hell's Kitchen expecting a full meal served, they go for the experience and maybe getting some food.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

pentyne posted:

Also, I'm getting tired of the "hungry customers are waiting for the meals, and they aren't happy." No one gets a table at Hell's Kitchen expecting a full meal served, they go for the experience and maybe getting some food.
I would go just to see Gordon throw food and scream obscenities.:allears: And if they were doing table-side salads/appetizers, I would try to make it as awkward and uncomfortable for the contestant as possible.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

It doesn't always work, but you have a much better chance of advancing if you show some fight instead of just, "Y-yeah, I got passion, sure." Which the last two contestants did.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

raditts posted:

Normally serving raw chicken - twice - would be grounds for elimination. But Nicole was just so useless from her signature dish to her exit interview.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

liltimshady posted:

Normally serving raw chicken - twice - would be grounds for elimination. But Nicole was just so useless from her signature dish to her exit interview.

Not to mention part of the reason his chicken was raw was because his teammate was sending the fish too early.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does the crew really gently caress around with the ovens and the burners causing all the undercooked/overcooked food?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does the crew really gently caress around with the ovens and the burners causing all the undercooked/overcooked food?

At some point they'd have to if they served raw chicken 2x in a row. I know these chefs aren't top class but they're not completely pants on head retarded. Getting the risotto perfect would be tough, but I can't believe that anyone could continually serve undercooked chicken. For gently caress sakes you could just stick small meat thermometer in to check and easily tell. It's not complicated, just pop it in the oven, take it out and test, place it back in if not done.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Didn't Gordon give someone poo poo for using a thermometer a couple seasons ago? It was either HK or Masterchef. I guess it's a professional chef faux pas?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

Didn't Gordon give someone poo poo for using a thermometer a couple seasons ago? It was either HK or Masterchef. I guess it's a professional chef faux pas?

It's probably one of those "this separates true chefs from buffet cooks" I worked in a Sbarro's where everything was temped at regular intervals because of draconian food and safety laws, but it takes 10 seconds and unless you inspect every side of the meat/fish looking for a puncture you'd never notice. Obviously not something you could do at a Michelin star restaurant, but a IR temp reader could tell you the surface temp and any competent person could tell whether or not it was fully cooked.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Mad Dragon posted:

He did on Hell's Kitchen, which is funny, because they all were carrying them in their arm pockets. And I think he's actually forced another chef to use one when he couldn't get temps right. More something else to give them grief for since he's perfected simply touching the food to know the temp.

As far as the idea that the stoves get messed with, it's one of those things you can't be sure of, and I don't necessarily believe it. Keep in mind they're under immense pressure to get the food out, and sometimes it can look cooked on the outside without being cooked on the inside. I'm no pro chef, but I often have trouble with it myself when it's just me staring at it for as long as I need.

And like I said, one of the instances tonight was because another teammate dropped the fish and then brought it up too early, so he was pressured to get it to the pass. It's always better to tell Ramsay you need more time than to serve something raw, but it doesn't always go down like that.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Man, I'm so over Nicole already.

:jerkbag:: "I guess my risotto wasn't good enough."

You gave the man a lobster risotto with no lobster in it! :wtc: If she's not a plant, she should've never made it on the show.

Jason honestly makes me uncomfortable every time he's on screen. The man has the look of someone perpetually on the verge of a heart attack.

I might be mistaken, but this could very well be the worst red team in the history of the show.

liltimshady posted:

Raw halibut!

Fish smash!

Did Gordon just say fricking instead of the usual [bleep]?

Yep, he sure did! The dramatic screen shake just doesn't sync up with "frickin'!" That said, the editors must have the most fun on this show.

Wow, two consecutive shutdowns on both sides? Is that a precedent?

The first surprise :frogout: of the season and certainly the most deserving. How did Nicole ever make it on the show?

Kashia knows what's up.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I'm pretty spent on the fighting metaphors when they beg to stay every episode since forever but it seems like it's pretty much expected at this point

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Slightly Toasted posted:

I'm pretty spent on the fighting metaphors when they beg to stay every episode since forever but it seems like it's pretty much expected at this point
Agreed. What we need is some kind of "I want to stay" cliche bingo card for this thread.

Also lol, Scott is 36 with the voice of a 14-year-old.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 21, 2014

Less Talk More Rock
May 8, 2007
Would you give it all up to live again?
I can't help it, but every time they show Ralph I think he's somehow related to Craig, that one contestant with the ridiculous chef hat and piss-poor attitude.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
I just finished the first episode of the new season and god drat did they find a bunch of boneheads. One guy's serving pre-fabricated tortellini, another uses his finger to taste his dish and the guy who was carted off a few years ago is now back and still inches away from getting another ride in the ambulance - and that's just the blue team and not mentioning any of the homicidal maniacs on team red.

This is some drat good stupid television and it's only going to get worse by the week.

pentyne posted:

There's probably an annual food court set up a 100 yards outside of the studio, expecting droves of hungry people every time the show films another episode.

Mad Dragon posted:

Yes, he did and he was angry as he seldomly was before. There is the usual chewing out of contestants (fluid risotto), there are the worse ones (failing to repeat a ticket) and cardinal sins ending up in a close encounter of the angry Scottish kind - like when someone's using a food thermometer.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Wasn't there an episode where the teams took so long to get food out that pizzas were delivered to the customers in the dining room?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

13stitches posted:

Yes, he did and he was angry as he seldomly was before. There is the usual chewing out of contestants (fluid risotto), there are the worse ones (failing to repeat a ticket) and cardinal sins ending up in a close encounter of the angry Scottish kind - like when someone's using a food thermometer.

Which is stupid because they're all wearing food thermometers on their jackets.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Ghostpilot posted:

Wasn't there an episode where the teams took so long to get food out that pizzas were delivered to the customers in the dining room?

There was an episode in one of the early seasons when a diner got on his phone and ordered a pizza to be delivered to the restaurant (it showed up before their HK food did). I believe that was around the same time that another diner got into an argument with JP, called him stupid, and bragged that he had a PhD in music.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
The pizza episode was like season one, I think. And I think the "I have a Phd in MUSIC" guy was from the same table that had the pizza delivered.

Here's the scene, actually - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kil1qe-eMog

Barbie was the one that got chewed out for using a thermometer with the chicken - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH5B7hDYHcY

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
Nicole had to have done something off camera. Not that I'm surprised because Nicole as a terrible chef and probably a terrible person, but the only explanation Ramsey gave was "You definitely need to go. Get out."

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Zero Star posted:

Agreed. What we need is some kind of "I want to stay" cliche bingo card for this thread.

Here are some squares to get us started:

"I'm a fighter!" (free square)
"I fought back!"
"I have so much passion!"
"I'll never do that again!"
"I learn from my mistakes!"
"I haven't peaked!"
"[Other chef] should be up here!"
"I'm not ready to go home tonight!"
"I'm a better chef than [other chef]!"
"This is the first time I've been up here!"
"This is the toughest decision I have EVER made!"
Chefs bicker during the elimination
Chef swears not to make excuses; makes excuses
Chef lies
Chef says they should stay because of (academic credientials, past kitchen experience)
Camera cuts away to other chef grinning inappropriately
Camera cuts away to surprised non-white person with bulging eyes
"Give me your jacket" fake-out
Ramsay eliminates someone not nominated
Ramsay mulls aloud whether he should eliminate someone for their own good (physical/mental health)
Ramsay criticizes chef for something other than cooking ability
Ramsay's concluding speech is a joke/pun

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

surf rock posted:

Here are some squares to get us started:

Don't forget: "The person.

Being eliminated tonight.

From Hell's Kitchen.

Is..."

~*to be continued*~

And

Gordon eliminates TWO contestants :eyepop:
Gordon eliminated NO contestants! :monocle: (I think he's done this before)

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mad Dragon posted:

Gordon eliminated NO contestants! :monocle: (I think he's done this before)

I think he usually does this at least once per season, usually when the next episode is the "remaining contestants' family members come to visit" episode. Which I always love because it tries real hard to make you believe that the show happens in real time and the contestants have been gone for months, when the filming is a couple of weeks from start to finish.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

raditts posted:

I think he usually does this at least once per season, usually when the next episode is the "remaining contestants' family members come to visit" episode. Which I always love because it tries real hard to make you believe that the show happens in real time and the contestants have been gone for months, when the filming is a couple of weeks from start to finish.
From start to airing, you mean? Forgive me, but I'm in the UK and am unfamiliar with how American TV works.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Zero Star posted:

From start to airing, you mean? Forgive me, but I'm in the UK and am unfamiliar with how American TV works.

The entire season is filmed before even the first episode airs. There's a new episode once a week, but the actual time during episodes is only 2-3 days at the most. So even near the end of the season the contestants have only been gone from their families for maybe 2 weeks, but because when it airs it's actually been months since the first episode, they play it up like they've been gone for SO LONG!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Zero Star posted:

Took surf rock's suggestions, some from others, and added a few of my own, then used an online generator:

http://imgur.com/a/8lZjI

Ten cards, should be enough for people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mughe posted:

Nicole had to have done something off camera. Not that I'm surprised because Nicole as a terrible chef and probably a terrible person, but the only explanation Ramsey gave was "You definitely need to go. Get out."

I just think they expected her to be more of a drama queen (fresh culinary school grad) cooking with people who've worked in restaurants even if its a buffet and getting into constant fights and having a huge ego. Instead she gave absolutely nothing. Here's your 15 minutes, oh you want to just pout and be sullen when you screw up? GTFO.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Sighence posted:

Took surf rock's suggestions, some from others, and added a few of my own, then used an online generator:

http://imgur.com/a/8lZjI

Ten cards, should be enough for people.

Oh man, these are great. I can't wait for the next episode.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Asiina posted:

The entire season is filmed before even the first episode airs. There's a new episode once a week, but the actual time during episodes is only 2-3 days at the most. So even near the end of the season the contestants have only been gone from their families for maybe 2 weeks, but because when it airs it's actually been months since the first episode, they play it up like they've been gone for SO LONG!

I think that's why so many people drop out with medical issues. While for the viewer there's a whole week in between, the reality is that it's actually a high stress, low sleep environment for the contestants, which would compound underlying health problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So far, this season legitimately feels like a documentary about retarded people.