Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
When I played this game I always thought it signified a transition from high to low tension, like running out of a slig's patrol area after getting chased by it. Looking at where it's played so far though, I don't think that's actually the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I assume it's the opposite. It feels like a "poo poo's about to get some what harder" warning sound.

Like a significant rise in difficulty, as the two times we've heard it so far from memory were entering Stockyards and entering the trial room.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Hmm maybe it's a point of no return sound. Gah there must be a connection in there somewhere...

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
So, any news on when the next update is going to be? :)

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Let me tell you about tech issues that i'm sure are super interesting to everyone.

I defeated them.

The LP resumes.

08: Cheating

quote:

At first glance, the Desert appears to be a vast wasteland, but wiser eyes will see that life is all around. Exotic cacti live beneath mighty boulders, while wildlife such as birds, bees, fireflies, and bats have adapted to survive the harsh, dusty environment. Once home to thriving civilizations, the desert is also home to the mighty Scrab.

Hopefully the images aren't breaking tables for anyone? It ends up looking fine on my somewhat smaller laptop but you can never be too sure. The above quote/pictures illustrate the whole "living desert" concept I was trying to talk about in the video, except better.

edit: also I was thinking of places like Bryce Canyon National park when talking about possible real world inspirations for Scrabania

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 5, 2014

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cheater. :argh:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't believe how good Oddworld Inhabitants were at producing pre-rendered graphics. The little FMV scenes where you go from the foreground to the background transition seamlessly back into gameplay. And all of Abe's animations are so good.

What a game! :allears:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Don't feel bad about cheating Metroixer, I used that little exploit too.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Did you stop scaling to 720p for this one?

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

jawbroken posted:

Did you stop scaling to 720p for this one?

My bad, I forgot to put in the re-sizing script for this one. I'll re-upload a higher-res version. Re-encoding it as I type this.

quote:

I can't believe how good Oddworld Inhabitants were at producing pre-rendered graphics. The little FMV scenes where you go from the foreground to the background transition seamlessly back into gameplay.

They're something Oddysee does much better than Exoddus. Although, this is mostly because in Exoddus there are much less of them, instead its just boring screen wipe transitions for most doors. (To be fair, Exoddus is also like 3 times bigger with 5 times more doors)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I never noticed how the music changed once you ride Elum, he has a tabla drumbeat added to the music which I find really soothing and reminiscent of his inspirations, presumably camels across the desert or elephants through the jungle.

I do however love the Sligs' variation when you control them, they have a real mechanical beat interlaced into the song when you start to control them and it's fantastic.

JordanKai posted:

I can't believe how good Oddworld Inhabitants were at producing pre-rendered graphics. The little FMV scenes where you go from the foreground to the background transition seamlessly back into gameplay. And all of Abe's animations are so good.

What a game! :allears:
For such an unknown company they have some super-talented people in handling transitions. I mean not even MYST pulled that poo poo off so flawlessly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like things that change the music in games in general, so this game is proving to be a big favorite.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So among all of the new trailer and media stuff for New 'n' Tasty, the weird noise question that has been kicked around in this thread seems to have been finally answered at some point in this video.

Apparently it's an audio warning that you are walking towards danger, though they make it sound as if it's danger on an adjacent screen.

At least I think that's the noise we've been talking about this entire time? I'm not completely sure.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yep that's the one. I thought that's what the noise meant, but it was a very subtle queue.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It does play at weird times, so no one can blame you.

I think its removed entirely in the sequel.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Life is busy, but I got time.

quote:

I think its removed entirely in the sequel.

Yep! Only occurs in Oddysee.

FIRST OF ALL: I re-uploaded episode 8 with higher res. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uspEqjR_mUM&feature=youtu.be

SECOND OF ALL: have a new video, it's the scrabanian temple!

09: Fighting

quote:

The Scrabanian Temple

The desert temple pays homage to the once sacred Scrab. Built atop a tall rock-like formation the temple consists of adobe brick and stone. Decorative carvings and rock art adorn the surface. Large Scrab sculptures stand guard around the entire temple. The temple cannot be reached by foot, only via wind tunnel or air.

This is the nesting ground of the scrabs. The adobe brick walls are carved with decorative symbols telling stories of these great creatures. Chimelocks and flintlocks are made of steel.

Scrabs are sacred animals nearly hunted to extinction as Magog Cartel food products. These natural Beasts can be found from Scrabania to the vast wilderness regions of Mudos. Scrabs run free in deep valleys and protect the Scrabanian Temple. The crab-like claw/legs of these graceful creatures balance their massive jaws. The beak-like mouth is so powerful, they can snap bones in half with no problem. The Scrabs red-orange skin tones are reflective of the Desert climate and also show off their massive size. Territorial by nature, Scrabs will fight to the death.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You can transform into a scrab now? Neat.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I swear I had no idea that bats could kill you. I just managed to get through this and the next game without ever even realizing that bats were a threat.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
The screams the Scrabs make when you try to possess them terrifies me. The level of design and detail in their anatomy is loving amazing and I always loved them.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Nihilarian posted:

You can transform into a scrab now? Neat.

Looks like some kind of terrifying scrab-paramite hybrid. A scrabamite.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Zeniel posted:

I swear I had no idea that bats could kill you. I just managed to get through this and the next game without ever even realizing that bats were a threat.
There are no bats whatsoever in the next game. That said most people find out the terrible truth about bats in the Stockyards Escape.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I somehow never touched them. I feel like I've been strolling merrily through a field of whirling razor blades without ever realizing it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FinalGamer posted:

The screams the Scrabs make when you try to possess them terrifies me. The level of design and detail in their anatomy is loving amazing and I always loved them.

Paramites and Scrabs are really cool. The distinct styles between them both visually and mechanically are something I really like about Oddworld.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This says... interesting things about the metaphysical roles of scrabs and paramites. Are they, like, reincarnations of Mudokons or something?

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Glazius posted:

This says... interesting things about the metaphysical roles of scrabs and paramites. Are they, like, reincarnations of Mudokons or something?

Nah, mudokons are just really tuned in with nature and consider scrabs/paramites to be sacred animals.

10: Zap Em

quote:

The embodiment of the spirit of the sacred beasts of Oddworld, the Shrykull is a divine creature of vengeance that enters the souls of Mudokons completing the Shaman's quest. The Shrykull stands outside the cycle of life. It is a dualistic god: Creation/Destruction, Fear/Love. Abe becomes a Shrykull for the first time once he receives the two hand scars from the Shaman Bigface.

I realize I don't talk about how the Shrykull operates from a gameplay perspective, but we'll be seeing it a couple more times in-game. I'll talk about it then, since this first time goes by really fast and a lot happens right after.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Had we seen those scanner lines before? You talked about them as if we should be familiar with them, but I had no idea what would have happened if you set off one of the them incorrectly, so a lot of the context for your actions was lost. Maybe the've been in earlier levels and I just forgot.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Ditocoaf posted:

Had we seen those scanner lines before? You talked about them as if we should be familiar with them, but I had no idea what would have happened if you set off one of the them incorrectly, so a lot of the context for your actions was lost. Maybe the've been in earlier levels and I just forgot.

They were in the first Stockyard segment earlier in the game. They served the same purpose there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If I recall correctly, that paw-shaped mark on the moon is why the Mudokons were enslaved by the Glukkons. When the paw mark appeared, the Mudokons took it as a sign that they were the chosen race of Oddworld and started being huge jerks about it to everyone else, until the Glukkons got sick of their poo poo.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That's one thing I love about the Oddworld series; everyone is a jerk, just to varying degrees. Even most of the Mudokons you encounter are assholes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, you can only use it when you have the blue ring? That seems... rather limiting. Please at least say you get to do it again.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Well yeah. The game is a Puzzle Platformer. It would cause problems for the Puzzle part of that if you could erase all dangers off a screen whenever you wanted.

It turns up again, but it's an extreme rarity, even in the sequel.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

quote:

If I recall correctly, that paw-shaped mark on the moon is why the Mudokons were enslaved by the Glukkons. When the paw mark appeared, the Mudokons took it as a sign that they were the chosen race of Oddworld and started being huge jerks about it to everyone else, until the Glukkons got sick of their poo poo.

I've never heard this before! You don't mind if I ask for a source?

11: Welcome Back

quote:

They say it's the biggest meat processing plant on Oddworld. An aggressive cohort of slash and burn capitalists, the Magog Cartel is dedicated to the mercantile conquest of the Oddworld Universe. They eat rain forests for breakfast and stage toxic spills just for fun. The pristine continent of Mudos was a happy hunting ground for the Cartel, but now that the resources are nearly depleted, Molluck the Glukkon is ready to up the stakes and move on to greener pastures... after feeding RuptureFarms' slaves into the farm itself.

RuptureFarms is the Magog Cartel's main meat packing plant on Mudos. The overriding goal of RuptureFarms is to create the top meat processing facility by squelching innovation and ideas, delivering rancid products to the market, and providing a terrifying, dangerous working environment for their slaves. RuptureFarms is a classicaly ironic name for a slaughterhouse. "Rupture" isn't typically associated with meatpacking, yet it gives a certain kick in the groin impression.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Went looking and it was on the wiki. No source given there.

http://oddworld.wikia.com/wiki/Mudokon_Moon

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm just chiming in to reaffirm that I'm really enjoying this LP. I have vague memories of it from my childhood, but seeing the whole thing in action has been a blast. Not enough people comment, but I don't have much more than that to say at the moment, so I want to make sure you know that what you're doing is worthwhile!

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm just chiming in to reaffirm that I'm really enjoying this LP. I have vague memories of it from my childhood, but seeing the whole thing in action has been a blast. Not enough people comment, but I don't have much more than that to say at the moment, so I want to make sure you know that what you're doing is worthwhile!

Thank you! I wouldn't want to pressure anyone on posting. Speaking as someone who almost never posts on the threads he follows, I know the feeling. As long as people enjoy what's going on, then that's good.

12: a wizard

quote:

This transportation vehicle was designed to connect the levels together in RuptureFarms. Levels, or "Zulags", used CG movies of the Ball Car traveling down a corridor to the next destination. Operated by a complex series of relays and conveyor belts, Ball Cars connect the distant divisions of massive facilities with a system that's half elevator, and half inter office bullet train. As an added benefit, Ball Cars have security interlock features that ensure no unauthorized personnel can use them too reach sensitive areas.

ball cars are weird cause i have no idea how abe uses them

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Abe's job is getting to him. He's starting to hallucinate enslaved mudokens.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Metroixer posted:

ball cars are weird cause i have no idea how abe uses them

I think he just gets in and rides. Once he's gone through all the nonsense of hitting levers in far-flung areas of the zulag there's nothing keeping him from getting in, and it's automated. The car's way too big for just a single mudokon but that's glukkons for you.

Also I have never seen that happen with mudokons before, your game is haunted.

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013
Isn't there an option to say "All of ya" instead of "Hello"? By like pressing L2 and Triangle? I remember this from the demo version I played many moons ago.

Great LP by the way!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
that was added in abe's exoddus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
I got this as a kid with an extra memory card just to have saves for this game. I really really sucked at the puzzles so it took me several years of putting the game on and putting it back in the closet before I even got to the temples. The last time I played it I muscled through the temples because I wanted the shrykull and thought the game would become easier from there. When I understood that was absolutely not the case I was just super burnt out.
I do love the atmosphere and the story and the humor though so I'm really happy to be able to watch this now. Also I'm happy to not be the one to play because games like this are really not for me.
Will probably buy new and tasty to support odd world developers though.

So yeah really thanks for letting me experience this while not having to play the game.

• Locked thread