Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They are kept at a distance. Coarse and mysterious, they seem to be different from the flora and fauna that are familiar to us. This group of strange-looking creatures has inflicted fear onto humans since long past, and have come to be called Mushi.

Mushi-shi is an award winning manga and anime series, originally by Yuki Urushibara, animated by Artland. It follows Ginko, a Mushi master (Mushi-Shi) who studies Mushi in medieval Japan. Mushi are beings more spiritually and physically basic than the life we are familiar with, and their encounters with humanity can result in both blessings and tragedies. The anime adaptation originally aired in 2005, but we're now getting a sequel this Spring.

Mushi-shi is the typically episodic tale of Ginko solving various Mushi-related mysteries in order to help people. In both the manga and anime this is accompanied with spectacular art and visuals, while the anime has some really excellent audio work. It's a very mellow series; sometimes quite light, sometimes quite dark. Much like the Mushi themselves. The atmosphere is extremely engrossing and well executed.

Check out its ADTRWiki page.

Manga
    The original format for Mushi-Shi, it was serialized in a couple Kodansha seinen magazines between 1999 and 2008. It has since been compiled in ten volumes. It won the Kodansha Award for Best General Manga, the Excellence Prize at the 7th Japan Media Arts Festival, was placed in 9th on Japan's Agency for Cultural Affairs's list of best manga, and the US Young Adult Library Services Association placed it among 33 titles with "good quality literature and appealing reading for teens" in 2008. It was a routine best seller in Japan, and managed to show up on a few lists in the US too.

It was brought to North America by Del Rey, but it's currently out of print as far as I can tell; you may be able to find volumes online for rather unrealistic prices. That being said, you can get the volumes in eBook form for pretty cheap!
TV Series (2005)
    The first adaptation of Mushi-Shi, produced by Artland, directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, with music by Toshio Masuda. It aired as 26 episodes between 2005 and 2006. The anime won the grand prizes for Best Television Series and Best Art Direction at the 5th Tokyo Anime Award. It placed 6th on the Japan's Agendy for Cultural Affairs list of best anime. Each episode of the Mushishi anime adapts a single chapter from the manga, not strictly following the order of original production.

The anime was brought to North America by Funimation. It is available as an extremely cheap boxset, but also can be streamed for free on YouTube, Hulu, Funimation.com. You can also digitally purchase the series from Amazon.

The dub is decent, but so is the original cast so it's really up to your personal taste in terms of the voice acting. I prefer the original cast personally!

ADTRW Simulwatch from 2011
Live Action Film (2007)
    The live action film adaptation was directed by Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira, Steamboy). It won some awards at European Foreign film festivals, though the film has been criticized for being atmospheric but a bit too clunky / tangled, and particularly impenetrable for the uninitiated. It adapts four chapters from the original manga (2, 7, 9, and 15).

Funimation brought the live action film over as well, and it is mega cheap.
TV Special - The Sun Eating Shadow (2014)
    A special 45 minute special adapting a one-off special chapter. Special. It is once again produced by Artland, directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, with music by Toshio Masuda. Again! Hooray! After the solar eclipse, a village finds itself stuck in the post-eclipse darkness. Ginko tries to solve the mystery before the area's crops wither and die in perpetual night.

It was licensed and subtitled for streaming by Crunchyroll.
TV Series (2014)
    There's a new TV series coming April 4th, 2014! It's being produced by all the same people who did the original TV series and the recent TV special, which is good because those were pretty great. We have no idea what chapters of the original manga they intend to adapt. The first anime had no "TV original" episodes, no idea if we'll continue to see that trend. Going off the special, the budget should be similar (or better). We also don't know how many episodes it'll even be!

Still, I'm pretty pumped. The original series was very enjoyable for me, a nice mellow thing to watch and chill out with. I'm looking forward to more of that! It's being simultaneously streamed in the US via Crunchyroll

While it's probably not necessary to have seen the original anime or the TV Special to give this a watch (continuity isn't a huge thing, and even the original series scrambled the order of events), I'd recommend doing so if only because they're great and why not?

Please feel free to use this thread to talk about all things Mushi-shi.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't know why all sorts of old shows are getting sequels all of a sudden, but I'm game. I really liked Mushi-Shi, so I'm pretty excited for some more.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I had never heard of Mushishi before I heard of the second season coming out. I ended up blasting right through season 1 and the special in a few days. The overall tone of the anime was one of the most chill things that I have ever seen. I really can't wait for the new season to start!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I don't know why, but this show emotionally destroys me. About half of the episodes are cathartic nukes of pure goodsad. It just has such a relaxed tone of gentle sadness, full of well-meaning regular folk just struggling to get by. Despite the fantasy nature of the show, its got some of the most grounded characters in anime.

I cannot wait for the next season.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I am hoping we get more episodes that swing in the other direction, personally. Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoy a good mellow tragedy, like the first season's The Pillow Pathway and Those Who Inhale the Dew.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

If you like science-ghosts and soft shades of green, then watch this show.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'd also like to stress that the soundtrack for this show is absolutely incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlbxNeOmjEE

quote:

The first adaptation of Mushi-Shi, produced by Artland, directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, with music by Hiroshi Nagahama
Minor typo in the OP - the music's by Toshio Masuda, not Hiroshi Nagahama.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Squidster posted:

I'd also like to stress that the soundtrack for this show is absolutely incredible.

Yeah, I'm glad they got back Toshio Masuda back for this, his soundtrack and audio work really gave the original series a lot of its feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQQuXKuGJI

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

A new season?! Oh my god :allears: I loved this series so much. Every episode had a vibe that I only get from Miyazaki movies. The soundtrack, voice acting, storytelling, etc were all amazing.

Geez, I need to finish reading this series...

angrytoad1
Feb 16, 2014
I loved the original! One of my favorite animes. Can't wait!

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
People seemed pretty excited about this so as I never watched the first season (never even heard of the show!) I spend this past week and a half watching the show on Hulu to catch up. Turns out I really never needed to do that as it's all "one and done" stories. But drat, they are great "one and done" stories. It's amazing how they can introduce these people every episode and somehow nearly always gets me attached to their story.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
If anything, I hope Tanyuu appears in the new season again. She and Ginko have the best relationship.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I fist checked Mushi-Shi out I was actually kind of disappointed. I was expecting a horror series that would really freak me out, and while there is some good freaky stuff in the show (the sister disappearing in Pickers of Empty Cocoons was amazing) that's not really the tone it's going for. Instead we see these slightly twisted versions of mundane life, presented as fixable problems to be calmly addressed. It's actually kind of boring! But once I got on its wavelength god I was hooked.

My favorite type of Mushi-Shi episode is the over the top sweet ones, like String from the Sky, Sunrise Serpent, and Raindrops and Rainbows. Really looking forward to something like that popping up again.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Mushi-Shi is pretty handily my favorite anime series, and honestly I love the dub. I think all the performances being subdued and maybe just "technically okay" works really well, and I love Ginko's dub voice. I'm so loving pumped for more of the show too, and there's a very good chance that I'll end up watching it subbed just because I'm impatient. It'll probably depend on if a dub gets announced quickly or not.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

I am hoping we get more episodes that swing in the other direction, personally. Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoy a good mellow tragedy, like the first season's The Pillow Pathway and Those Who Inhale the Dew.
I like the ones who that seem to balance the two sides, like "Inside the Cage" which has such an incredible ending.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Ahhhh so happy! There hasn't been something I've wanted to watch in a long time, especially something from the era of really decent shows from when I was in college. I hope they make an awesome boxset like the original box set which was really awesome looking that does not look like the cheap thing from amazon. It's sold out now though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Thank you so much for this thread. I clicked on it out of curiosity and ended up starting to watch the first series and I don't think I've ever watched a show quite like this. I have trouble describing the cocktail of emotions it evokes; it's very mellow and melancholy but not a hopeless sort of melancholy.

Is it ever explained why Ginko dresses in late 20th century modern clothing in an otherwise totally medieval Japanese setting, or is that merely a stylistic choice to help emphasize his connection with and study of the extraordinary?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kanos posted:

Is it ever explained why Ginko dresses in late 20th century modern clothing in an otherwise totally medieval Japanese setting, or is that merely a stylistic choice to help emphasize his connection with and study of the extraordinary?

If I remember right, it's a meta reason in that the artist originally intended to set the story in modern times, designed Ginko, and they decided that the stories fit better in a more mystical time but didn't want to change Ginko's look and just left it alone.

It does, nicely, have that effect of distancing him from the rest of the world though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The timeline of the series itself is rather vague, and possibly out of order. I remember something about the second episode taking place much later than the rest due to the state of technology required for manufacture of things like the syringe.

KoB
May 1, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If I remember right, it's a meta reason in that the artist originally intended to set the story in modern times, designed Ginko, and they decided that the stories fit better in a more mystical time but didn't want to change Ginko's look and just left it alone.

It does, nicely, have that effect of distancing him from the rest of the world though.

I think they said they wanted to keep his look to make him really stand out/be different from everyone else since Mushishi are strange to most people.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

KoB posted:

I think they said they wanted to keep his look to make him really stand out/be different from everyone else since Mushishi are strange to most people.

Yeah, it wasn't intentional but more of a happy accident.

Paracelsus posted:

The timeline of the series itself is rather vague, and possibly out of order. I remember something about the second episode taking place much later than the rest due to the state of technology required for manufacture of things like the syringe.

If I remember right this was kind of tied into a similar thing, in that the series just sort of takes place in its own ill-defined era with things just being done because they were cool or seemed the appropriate blend of mystical and scientific rather than strictly adhering to what was available in any one time period.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

If I remember right this was kind of tied into a similar thing, in that the series just sort of takes place in its own ill-defined era with things just being done because they were cool or seemed the appropriate blend of mystical and scientific rather than strictly adhering to what was available in any one time period.

That was one of the things I liked about the show. They didn't waste time trying to contrive an unnecessary timeline or waste time on necessary world building.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kanos posted:

He doesn't really dress in clothing that's distinctively 20th century clothing; keep in mind a lot of that basic fashion he's wearing is 18th/19th century in origin. I believe the author has stated that Mushishi takes place during the Sakoku (when outsiders were being kept out of Japan), which lasted up until 1853. Even during that period, trade with outside powers (namely the Dutch) was still occurring, just in a very controlled and limited way.

Presumably this is the origin of his microscope and what not, which was certainly around back then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

He doesn't really dress in clothing that's distinctively 20th century clothing; keep in mind a lot of that basic fashion he's wearing is 18th/19th century in origin. I believe the author has stated that Mushishi takes place during the Sakoku (when outsiders were being kept out of Japan), which lasted up until 1853. Even during that period, trade with outside powers (namely the Dutch) was still occurring, just in a very controlled and limited way.

Presumably this is the origin of his microscope and what not, which was certainly around back then.

:eng101: Actually, he is dressed in 20th-century clothing. iirc, It's because Mushi-Shi was originally going to be set in modern day, but when the author re-wrote it to a feudal era he just left Ginko's outfit as-is.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 21, 2014

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Or it's just a weird fantasy world where a lot of things can be possible so it doesn't even matter? :shrug:

I just started to read the manga, and the focus is clearly in the individual storylines and mushi-of-the-week. The setting and Ginko's clothes are there just to look cool and give the series a certain feel to it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Franz von Dada posted:

Or it's just a weird fantasy world where a lot of things can be possible so it doesn't even matter? :shrug:

I just started to read the manga, and the focus is clearly in the individual storylines and mushi-of-the-week. The setting and Ginko's clothes are there just to look cool and give the series a certain feel to it.

Youre right, it doesnt matter. But thats what the author came out and said. No need to get all upset about it.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

KoB posted:

Youre right, it doesnt matter. But thats what the author came out and said. No need to get all upset about it.

I'm so goddamn upset right now and you can't stop me. :argh: I was just saying.

Anyway, which do you guys think is/works better, the manga or the anime?
Or are they both just as good?

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 21, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:eng101: Actually, he is dressed in 20th-century clothing. iirc, It's because Mushi-Shi was originally going to be set in modern day, but when the author re-wrote it to a feudal era he just left Ginko's outfit as-is.

My point was more that given the period it's set in, his clothes isn't exactly alien to it even if he wasn't designed for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

My point was more that given the period it's set in, his clothes isn't exactly alien to it even if he wasn't designed for it.

I only really meant it as a bit of trivia. Given how much Ginko travels, and Mushi aren't likely to only occur in Japan, he's probably managed to get overseas somehow at some point or other.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Mushishi is one of the most beautiful anything's I've ever seen, this is a definite watch for me. It's actually gonna get me back into watching anime this season, provided there's anything else decent.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I am so ready for this. Mushishi is a serious contender for best anime of all time. :dance:

Chandragupta
Sep 2, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I like the ones who that seem to balance the two sides, like "Inside the Cage" which has such an incredible ending.

This is probably my favorite episode in the series. The scene where the man describes what happens to his daughters after driving away the bamboo mushi will stick with me for a long time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Working through it, and it's great. It's like someone read up on biology and ecosystems, and merged it with their own take on Japanese mythology.

If I had to compare it with something else, it would be Kino's Journey. And it's quite a bit better than that. But while they hit similar tones, the way they go about it are different: Kino's Journey is cold and almost anthroplogical, while Mushi-Shi is more conventional and warm and personal. Kino deals with people as metaphors for society, Ginko deals with people as individuals.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pedantic as hell, but Mushishi seems to take takes place in a vaguely defined modern setting (in the literal sense, 17th-20th century), the feudal and medieval era is a specific period of time that tends to get thrown around a lot when it might not be really applicable. It seems like it takes place during the Edo period at the very earliest, for example.

I'm just jumping in to the first series because I always heard good things about it but I was not prepared at all for how great it's turning out to be. The whole show just has a really powerful sense of peace and I'm loving it a lot.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 30, 2014

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Working through it, and it's great. It's like someone read up on biology and ecosystems, and merged it with their own take on Japanese mythology.

If I had to compare it with something else, it would be Kino's Journey. And it's quite a bit better than that. But while they hit similar tones, the way they go about it are different: Kino's Journey is cold and almost anthroplogical, while Mushi-Shi is more conventional and warm and personal. Kino deals with people as metaphors for society, Ginko deals with people as individuals.

I'd have a hard time saying one is better than the other. Love them both.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm so excited for this. Mushishi is one of my favorite shows ever. I also dig it for being one of the most Japanese shows ever, but in the not-stupid way.

Between this and new Sailor Moon, it's going to be a good year for anime.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10384
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10571

I am right if this looks to me like we will get 12 episodes in spring (Q2) and another 12 (?) in autumn (Q3)?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I am right if this looks to me like we will get 12 episodes in spring (Q2) and another 12 (?) in autumn (Q3)?

"A french site posted:

C'est aujourd'hui qu'on apprend que la seconde saison anime, qui adaptera les volumes 6 à 10, de Mushishi, le manga de Yuki Urushibara, va être divisée en deux (sans doute 13 épisodes pour chaque parties). La 1ere partie débutera en avril (sans doute jusqu’en juin) et la seconde en octobre (sans doute jusqu'en décembre).

"The second season of [Mushishi] has been split into two cours, the first starting in April and the second starting in October."

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I can never tell if those breaks help or hurt production. I guess if I can't tell the effect is overall negligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

I can never tell if those breaks help or hurt production. I guess if I can't tell the effect is overall negligible.

It'll probably help, if the high quality of animation in the original series is anything to go by. It'll give the animators time to do two blocks of quality work rather than descending into rushing week-by-week as it goes on. Writing-side; Mushi-shi's not exactly a big franchise in the way Gundam 00 or Code Geass were, and the episodes are pretty much all stand-alone, so there's not a lot of reason for any higher-ups to go insane over. About the only bad thing that could theoretically happen is the show does so badly in the ratings the studio pulls the plug after the first block of twelve episodes, but that seems pretty unlikely given how unlikely this second season being made was in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 31, 2014

• Locked thread