Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Before

After

On reupgrading it moved the bookmark button back down to where it was before, but now the home button is where the back button was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

AlmightyBob posted:

Before

After

On reupgrading it moved the bookmark button back down to where it was before, but now the home button is where the back button was.

Either something got borked on your profile or you just need to customize your buttons back in place

Edit: oh i see, the back/forward buttons are now seemingly locked to the addressbar.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The back button is PART of the address bar, you can't move it. I'd have to move everything over to the right side now...

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

AlmightyBob posted:

The back button is PART of the address bar, you can't move it. I'd have to move everything over to the right side now...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/?src=search

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

According to the firefox UX designer, I should just be using keyboard shortcuts :rolleyes:

KuNova
Oct 12, 2005
I REPORT MODERATORS BECAUSE I'M FUCKING RETARDED

AlmightyBob posted:

According to the firefox UX designer, I should just be using keyboard shortcuts :rolleyes:

Pretty much

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is there an addon just to restore:
* Bookmark star in address bar
* Back and forward buttons always shown

I don't need the bookmarks menu button but now it's apparently required. And the star works better in the address bar for me.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AlmightyBob posted:

They are just helping you know what you want.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

If you right click -> customise it will show separate back and forward buttons. If you then move them away from the address bar they will revert to their old forms. The fancy combining thing only happens when they're all together in the correct order.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

AlmightyBob posted:

It'd be nice if they would stop spending 50% of their development time shuffling toolbar buttons around and rounding tabs. I can't count the number of pointless changes to the look and positioning of the back/forward buttons over the years.

I agree that one should learn keyboard shortcuts, though, even though it makes no sense to hear that from a UX designer. For reference, here are some useful shortcuts:

Back: Alt+Left arrow
Forward: Alt+Right arrow
Home: Alt+Home
Focus the search box: Ctrl+E or Ctrl+K
Focus the address bar: Alt+D
Refresh: Ctrl+R
Close tab: Ctrl+W
New tab: Ctrl+T
Duplicate tab: Ctrl+Alt+T
Stop page from loading: Esc
Cycle tab pages: Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 27, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Pilsner posted:

What fresh hell is this? I've always pressed F6, but come to think of it, I might have an addon for it...

(in a pub, so I can't check)

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah, address bar is Ctrl-L (or F6), goes well with Ctrl-K. (Alt-Letter can and will open a menu option, e.g. Alt-D the "Datei" menu in the German locale)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Glad to see they still gently caress around with the UI instead of providing some decent support for business needs.
Support for Windows software deployment and group policies? How bourgeoisGoogle Chrome.

God beware Mozilla might increase market share that way!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

HalloKitty posted:

What fresh hell is this? I've always pressed F6, but come to think of it, I might have an addon for it...

(in a pub, so I can't check)

F6 technically cycles the focus among "major" bits of the UI. If you've already focused the address bar, F6 focuses the browser content. It can also be used to focus the bookmarks sidebar if it's open.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Riso posted:

Glad to see they still gently caress around with the UI instead of providing some decent support for business needs.
Support for Windows software deployment and group policies? How bourgeoisGoogle Chrome.

http://www.frontmotion.com/FMFirefoxCE/ has been around for years and years.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's not an official Mozilla thing.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Riso posted:

It's almost as if the UX engineering deciding/coding the UI would be different people with different skill sets than the people doing support for group policies!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Rastor posted:

http://www.frontmotion.com/FMFirefoxCE/ has been around for years and years.

A word of caution, I used FrontMotion's .msi to deploy Firefox 22 (or 23? Can't remember) more or less organization-wide. It worked like a charm except Firefox wouldn't receive updates, and if a user happened to re-download Firefox to get the latest version, it would break the installation. Maybe this has been fixed.

It was great for a short fix but in the long run had to be removed and vanilla Firefox installed instead.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 21, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't remember the last time I clicked on a back button, but maybe I'm not a representative sample.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

It's almost as if the UX engineering deciding/coding the UI would be different people with different skill sets than the people doing support for group policies!

No you only need one guy for UI/UX and programming. That's what Craigslist told me.

withak posted:

I can't remember the last time I clicked on a back button, but maybe I'm not a representative sample.

Anyone who isn't a pleb has it bound to their minimum-four-button mouse. :colbert:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pilsner posted:

Back: Alt+Left arrow
Maybe this is better than Backspace, because that doesn't work if a website like google automatically puts the cursor in a text field. I'll have to try this out.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Pilsner posted:

For reference, here are some useful shortcuts:

Cycle tab pages: Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDown

I like Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab for that.

There's also Ctrl-Shift-T to reopen a tab you'd closed and Ctrl-Shift-N to re-open a window you'd closed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebulon Gate posted:

Anyone who isn't a pleb has it bound to their minimum-four-button mouse. :colbert:

YM "swipe right" HTH.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Avenging Dentist posted:

F6 technically cycles the focus among "major" bits of the UI. If you've already focused the address bar, F6 focuses the browser content. It can also be used to focus the bookmarks sidebar if it's open.

Turns out I have this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/f6/?src=api

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Personally the new interface is pretty similar to how I set it up before, however they clearly weren't thinking about users with their interface set to classic.

:barf: Anyone know a way I can get my title-bar color off of my tabs and menu bar? Other than change my windows theme. Prefer to keep the general look if possible.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 22, 2014

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*

Familiar Foreigner posted:

:barf: Anyone know a way I can get my title-bar color off of my tabs and menu bar? Other than change my windows theme. Prefer to keep the general look if possible.

That's exactly what I want, so it's similar to Thunderbird. I hope someone can come up with a userchrome thing for it too.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Pilsner posted:

Focus the search box: Ctrl+E or Ctrl+K

On Ubuntu, both Ctrl+J and Ctrl+K focus the search box, and Ctrl+L focuses the address bar.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Familiar Foreigner posted:

Personally the new interface is pretty similar to how I set it up before, however they clearly weren't thinking about users with their interface set to classic.

Set browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar to false?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Much better, and I got my title-bar text back too. Thanks!

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
Yeah that works a charm, thanks!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is there any setting to prevent the download tab from showing up?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Fapos posted:

Yeah that works a charm, thanks!

Note that Thunderbird has the same feature, only it's mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I wonder if we could all endorse the new Mozilla CEO for his Homophobia skills on LinkedIn.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

pipes! posted:

I wonder if we could all endorse the new Mozilla CEO for his Homophobia skills on LinkedIn.

poo poo, now I have to switch to Chrome, and find a replacement for Thunderbird.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Lum posted:

poo poo, now I have to switch to Chrome, and find a replacement for Thunderbird.

Or continue using the browser with a new tab page addon that eliminates any ad revenue they may have received from you, thus leeching on their output without contributing one red cent ;-*

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Or continue using the browser with a new tab page addon that eliminates any ad revenue they may have received from you, thus leeching on their output without contributing one red cent ;-*

Firefox gets ad revenue?

(new tabs open to about :blank for me)

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Lum posted:

Firefox gets ad revenue?

(new tabs open to about :blank for me)

They were supposed to be implementing "suggested websites" for when you launch a new tab in the Speed Dial rip-off menu and haven't built up a roster of 9 recently used sites yet. I dunno if they killed that off due to the inevitable backlash it will ensue, but in your case it shouldn't affect you.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Delusibeta posted:

They were supposed to be implementing "suggested websites" for when you launch a new tab in the Speed Dial rip-off menu and haven't built up a roster of 9 recently used sites yet. I dunno if they killed that off due to the inevitable backlash it will ensue, but in your case it shouldn't affect you.

Here is a blog post about it. It's just in the initial stages. There is no time line for its release.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

The Dark One posted:

There's also Ctrl-Shift-T to reopen a tab you'd closed
Anyone else finding that this suddenly no longer works? Running Firefox 29.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Anyone else finding that this suddenly no longer works? Running Firefox 29.

I was, new profile fixed it for me. Used some internal Firefox "reset" feature.