Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

its hilarious the way they still try to make out that linux is some sort of "windows killer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i have a linux in a vm on my desktop does that count

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sweevo posted:

its hilarious the way they still try to make out that linux is some sort of "desktop operating system".

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

whats up with iceweasel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sweevo posted:

its hilarious the way they still try to make out that linux is some sort of "windows killer".

that issue is from 2000, when people actually believed that for some reason

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

whats up with iceweasel

mozilla is a dick about trademarks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mozilla is a dick about trademarks

oh ok

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Greed is eternal posted:

install windows

install cygwin

do everything you'd do in linux but replace the commands 'apt-get' or 'yum' or 'pacman' with a nice GUI

get out of here, cygwin is terrible and super slow

just use a vm

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

actually the answer is to use mingw

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
or better yet don't use a linux

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sweevo posted:

they're just marketing to the people who are still incredibly bitter over arguments from the 90s involving words like "wintel" and "cisc"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

they're just marketing to the people who are still incredibly bitter over arguments from the 90s involving words like "wintel" and "cisc"

die cisc scum

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCqNH7V9R0

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
linux is good op

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

linux is good op

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Linux is fun and exciting and that's why I work on it full-time!

... and also why I'm posting from a Windows 7 machine right now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Redhat ship teh rhel 7

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Redhat ship teh rhel 7

OK.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like linux but uh

recently I decided to try centos and use gnome 2 again. it's been a long time since I used gnome 2 and... I think it actually got worse? idk wth is going on with that panel

centos svn package is so outdated and has a really nasty bug that kinda hosed me up

so that's my centos linux story thanks for reading

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 21, 2014

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it feels good to ssh to a linux machine

linux is rad

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

it feels good to ssh to a linux machine

linux is rad

same

there's something about it that feels more "computery"

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

im tempted to install arch
someone tell me why im an idiot

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Awia posted:

im tempted to install arch
someone tell me why im an idiot

just read ur posting history

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

thats why im an idiot in general, not for installing arch

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
idk everyone I know who uses arch is kind of a douche

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's like one of those correlations

fedora hats, bitcoins y'know

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

is there a yospos approved distro?
i wouldnt want to go against conventional yospos wisdom

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I use fedora at work because all the servers are rhel and it's better to learn 1 stack of poo poo than 2

Perplx fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 21, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Arch is bad and you shouldn't use it.

I technically work on Fedora, but it's loving awful and I wish it didn't exist. Like one of my coworkers is working on such advanced system features as "atomic system upgrades that actually work" and "nightly test builds".

http://rpm-ostree.cloud.fedoraproject.org/#/

It seems the builds currently aren't working because of a libguestfs bug preventing the images from being made? Ugh. I poked my coworker and it seems he knows about it and isn't sure what to do. He can't seem to reproduce the bug locally.

http://rpm-ostree.cloud.fedoraproject.org/builds/2014/03/01/1/smoketest/

Here's an old build that shows off the system. Right now it only boots it and makes sure it gets to a valid state, but in the future we want to run automated tests that click around the system and fuzzes things and does an infinitely number of tests like "run KDE through Wayland in Hebrew and connected through bridge networking" testing all the edge cases basically.

All package managers are terrible. yum is the worst program I've ever used, and nobody seems to care. dnf is faster, but it still crashes and incomprehensibly weird sometimes. Today it couldn't download any .rpm on the server even though I could right-click on the URL it was downloading and curl it in myself.

But since I installed the package from a file instead of fetching from a repo, that means I'll never get updates for it, unless I pass some really dumb flag to it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Arch is bad and you shouldn't use it.

I technically work on Fedora, but it's loving awful and I wish it didn't exist. Like one of my coworkers is working on such advanced system features as "atomic system upgrades that actually work" and "nightly test builds".

It seems the builds currently aren't working because of a libguestfs bug preventing the images from being made? Ugh. I poked my coworker and it seems he knows about it and isn't sure what to do. He can't seem to reproduce the bug locally.

All package managers are terrible. yum is the worst program I've ever used, and nobody seems to care. dnf is faster, but it still crashes and incomprehensibly weird sometimes. Today it couldn't download any .rpm on the server even though I could right-click on the URL it was downloading and curl it in myself.

But since I installed the package from a file instead of fetching from a repo, that means I'll never get updates for it, unless I pass some really dumb flag to it.

the year of linux on the desktop, folks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
maybe you guys should use apt instead

also are you saying fedora's autobuilders suck or rh's package management tools suck or both?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Correct.

We've tried to fix this situation multiple times.

Really, the core idea about packages is just wrong and bad. Packages have shell scripts that run as root when you install them, and you wouldn't believe the idiotic things that actually go in them that are running on your system as root when you type "yum install butts" or "rpm -Uvh butts.rpm".

There's also some infighting between my team ("Desktop Experience") and the team that makes yum/abrt/dnf ("Developer Experience"). One of my coworkers wrote a thing called PackageKit, realized that yum is slow and bad and in order to do things like "search for this package name", you have to take a global lock and it takes around 3 minutes.

So, he wrote his own little yum-clone using libhawkey and libsolv. You know, the things that dnf is using.

He didn't want anybody to think it was a serious project, just a little toy backend, so he named it "Zero-Insertion Force" as if to say "I am not trying to get anybody to use it".

https://github.com/hughsie/zif

People on DevExperience team claimed he should be fired for trying to replace him, and for even thinking of besmirching the holy name of yum, because clearly yum is perfect and there are no issues with it.

You don't even want to know what happened with razor: https://github.com/krh/razor

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

maybe you guys should use apt instead

also are you saying fedora's autobuilders suck or rh's package management tools suck or both?

I'm saying that the traditional way to provision a system using packages is broken and wrong, since it involves a lot of client-side shell scripts running as root, and is slow.

APT/DEB has the exact same issues. pacman has the exact same issues. zypper has the exact same issues. All package managers are built on this really broken philosophy.

Given the restriction of "install all these packages", it's hard to produce a useful, fast autobuilder that works correctly. So it sucks, but unless you do a drastic rethink, it's the way it's going to be.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
jeez.

also how do you maintain motivation to work on wayland and gnome and whatever else it is you desktop guys do when 80% of the peanut gallery flings poo poo at anything invented after 1985

:qq: my artisanal tiling window manager :qq:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

jeez.

also how do you maintain motivation to work on wayland and gnome and whatever else it is you desktop guys do when 80% of the peanut gallery flings poo poo at anything invented after 1985

:qq: my artisanal tiling window manager :qq:

Half the fun is figuring out who will get the next batch of death threats! We actually have an internal betting pool about which project will blow up next.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
wait a minute

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress is wrong with our company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
packages are really bad and dumb and still somehow far and away the best way to do anything. rpm and deb and pacman and whatever other flavor of the week bullshit you're using are all fundamentally very similar to svr4 packaging from 1990. this is not an accident.

no one has had any good ideas since then