Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

"He had to remember that he was falling. This was not flight, and every second he moved, his speed increased."

I slept through much of high school physics, but is this actually possible? I recall something about 9.8 m/s squared. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Who was Wit in Mistborn again? I feel like I blinked and I missed him.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I found Shallen's (Brandon's) jokes were a lot better in WoR than WoK, I found a good number genuinely funny and really liked the - Spoiler for Part 3 - back and forth between her and Kaladin in the chasm, even if I really, really don't want them to get romantically involved. I also loved her interactions with Adolin, and a few of Adolin's jokes too. The way he wrote Pattern also helped a lot to make Shallan's chapters often funny.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Who was Wit in Mistborn again? I feel like I blinked and I missed him.

Hoid. Really, really minor character, I think he was a shady merchant or fence and gave some minor informations. Kelsier meets him once I think and Vin too. Edit: Ah, I remember, Vin wanted to go to him but then decides not to, because something didn't seem right to her.

Decius fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 20, 2014

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

uh zip zoom posted:

"He had to remember that he was falling. This was not flight, and every second he moved, his speed increased."

I slept through much of high school physics, but is this actually possible? I recall something about 9.8 m/s squared. :eng101:
According to the rules we've been told, yes. That 9.8m/s/s is the acceleration due to gravity -- that is, if you're falling with no resistance, your downward speed increases by 9.8 m/s every second. A windrunner changes the direction of this acceleration, and can even stack the force multiple times in the same or different directions.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Jorenko posted:

According to the rules we've been told, yes. That 9.8m/s/s is the acceleration due to gravity -- that is, if you're falling with no resistance, your downward speed increases by 9.8 m/s every second. A windrunner changes the direction of this acceleration, and can even stack the force multiple times in the same or different directions.

One thing that was wrong about stormlight "flying" though was Kaladin experiencing wrenching everytime he lashed a different direction. He's changing gravity that effects all his mass in the same way (he's obviously not capable of creating gravity at such a level that it would cause spaghettification) and so he shouldn't feel a thing.

One thing his speed is limited by is terminal velocity. I wonder if his (eventual) shardplate will be able to transform to give him a better aerodynamic profile. Then again, if he truly does command "the winds", perhaps he'll be able to create vacuums infront of himself and survive the vacuum via stormlight. If he can somehow survive vacuum, I earnestly look forward to him going intersolar and world-hopping in a very low-tech way to Odium's planet.

And yeah, I think it's pretty clear that each order gets access to two surges plus a special ability (or two if they get an ability for each surge). Kaladin has his fighting, Shallan has her memory/drawing. They are too closely related to the use of their abilities for it to be coincidence.

Btw, was anyone else disappointed that Kaladin was indeed a windrunner? It seems like skybreakers have a better second surge. Adhesion is kind of lame and basically redundant; you can stick someone to the roof or floor by changing their gravity to a significant enough extent.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

uh zip zoom posted:

You will eventually hit terminal velocity and not go any faster, generally 200kph (~120mph). If you lash yourself in the same direction multiple times, you will go faster, with diminishing returns per lashing (since wind resistance increases exponentially, but the gravity-per-lashing is linear).

Shakugan posted:

Btw, was anyone else disappointed that Kaladin was indeed a windrunner? It seems like skybreakers have a better second surge. Adhesion is kind of lame and basically redundant; you can stick someone to the roof or floor by changing their gravity to a significant enough extent.

I got the impression that adhesion uses much less stormlight than changing gravity, so sticking something to a wall will last way longer for a given amount of stormlight.

Also there's things that might work with adhesion that don't work with gravity, namely not putting force on whatever object you are adhering to. With gravity, you can't stick someone to a wall without pushing on said wall. This can matter if you are in a boat for example, or trying to keep an object stuck to something you are holding.

subx fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 20, 2014

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Shakugan posted:

One thing that was wrong about stormlight "flying" though was Kaladin experiencing wrenching everytime he lashed a different direction. He's changing gravity that effects all his mass in the same way (he's obviously not capable of creating gravity at such a level that it would cause spaghettification) and so he shouldn't feel a thing.

While it's true that with his eyes closed Kaladin probably wouldn't be able to notice a difference when his lashings changed direction, the disconnect between his visual and spacial cues would definitely make him "feel" something. Ask any Oculus Rift user who has experienced that disconnect. Hmm... Now I wish I had a Rift and could program.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Stormangel posted:

While it's true that with his eyes closed Kaladin probably wouldn't be able to notice a difference when his lashings changed direction, the disconnect between his visual and spacial cues would definitely make him "feel" something. Ask any Oculus Rift user who has experienced that disconnect. Hmm... Now I wish I had a Rift and could program.

It's specifically stated that he feels a physical pull (that shouldn't exist) by the changing direction, and that it's the stormlight that allows his body to deal with the strain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shakugan posted:

It's specifically stated that he feels a physical pull (that shouldn't exist) by the changing direction, and that it's the stormlight that allows his body to deal with the strain.

You're assuming the lashing effects the entire body simultaneously. If there's a short intermediate period where half his body is gravitied up, and half is gravitied down, that'd be noticable.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't he still have momentum when he suddenly Lashes in a different direction?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Tunicate posted:

You're assuming the lashing effects the entire body simultaneously. If there's a short intermediate period where half his body is gravitied up, and half is gravitied down, that'd be noticable.

I am, and that's true, but since lashing changes someone's "spiritual connection to the planet" or something, it wouldn't really make sense for the lashing to effect parts of the body gradually.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shakugan posted:

I am, and that's true, but since lashing changes someone's "spiritual connection to the planet" or something, it wouldn't really make sense for the lashing to effect parts of the body gradually.

Lashings seem to stick to the surfaces of objects first.

Personally, my physics nitpick is how people can adjust their rotation in mistborn, when the allomantic pushes and pulls explicitly come from the center of mass.

Also, how their center of mass is up in the chest, and not down by the bellybutton.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't he still have momentum when he suddenly Lashes in a different direction?

Yeah, reversing your direction midair would be like pulling 2 G for an instant. More if you lash yourself multiple times at once.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

senae posted:

Yeah, reversing your direction midair would be like pulling 2 G for an instant. More if you lash yourself multiple times at once.

Not true. There is a difference in how you experience acceleration because of how that force is propagated is propagated through your body. Imagine you're in a car that accelerates at 9.8m/s^2. You'd feel that right? You'd be pushed into the car seat with the same force that you're currently pushing into your chair. Imagine the car accelerates even faster, you're going to get pushed into the car seat quite painfully. But then compare this to what you would experience if you jumped off a building. You'd be accelerating (towards the earth) at 9.8m/s^2, but you wouldn't feel the sensation of being pushed against something while you're in midair that you feel while accelerating in the car. For the same reason (that gravity is acting on all your mass simultaneously; in contrast the acceleration caused by the car does not act on all your mass simultaneously), you wouldn't feel anything when changing lashings, since you're just falling with down now being a new direction.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
e: ^^^ you'd sure as hell feel the air, which if you're traveling several hundred miles an hour through might pose a small obstacle even if lashings affect your entire cellular structure simultaneously.

Tunicate posted:

Lashings seem to stick to the surfaces of objects first.

Personally, my physics nitpick is how people can adjust their rotation in mistborn, when the allomantic pushes and pulls explicitly come from the center of mass.

IIRC only Zane was shown to be able to do this actually using allomancy (related to his spike?). Otherwise I think the obvious explanation would be using air resistance to change your orientation in flight by moving your body (think skydivers). This was part of what I thought Kelsier was talking about when remarking on how naturally Vin adapted to pushing and pulling herself arou

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 20, 2014

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Lobsterpillar posted:

I thought this too, and it implies that Harmony is not 'balanced', as it is a combination of keeping things the same (Preservation) and destruction (Ruin). Cultivation/Ruin would more or less cancel out and make something very much like a dynamic Preservation.

It sort of makes sense.

Preservation keeps things the same, Ruin changes through destruction, Cultivation changes through growth. In that sense Ruin can be seen as an opposite of either Cultivation or Preservation.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Shakugan posted:

Not true. There is a difference in how you experience acceleration because of how that force is propagated is propagated through your body. Imagine you're in a car that accelerates at 9.8m/s^2. You'd feel that right? You'd be pushed into the car seat with the same force that you're currently pushing into your chair. Imagine the car accelerates even faster, you're going to get pushed into the car seat quite painfully. But then compare this to what you would experience if you jumped off a building. You'd be accelerating (towards the earth) at 9.8m/s^2, but you wouldn't feel the sensation of being pushed against something while you're in midair that you feel while accelerating in the car. For the same reason (that gravity is acting on all your mass simultaneously; in contrast the acceleration caused by the car does not act on all your mass simultaneously), you wouldn't feel anything when changing lashings, since you're just falling with down now being a new direction.

You'd still experience disorientation as the inner ear adjusted to the new direction of gravity. I didn't get the sense that his "lurching" was like someone pulled on his belt, but rather that his was suddenly falling in a completely different direction and it was disorienting

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

treeboy posted:

You'd still experience disorientation as the inner ear adjusted to the new direction of gravity. I didn't get the sense that his "lurching" was like someone pulled on his belt, but rather that his was suddenly falling in a completely different direction and it was disorienting

When he first learns to fly it's specifically mentioned that it's a physical strain on his body that he can handle because of stormlight. So Sanderson goofed, in all likelihood. As someone mentioned above, a possible explanation is that the lashings affect parts of his body before affecting him as a whole(e.g. if Kaladin is standing and lashes towards the sky, his head feels the pull towards the sky while the rest of his body is experiencing the lashing toward the ground), but that's kind of bizarre given how the explanation of lashing is given (as a spiritual connection to the planet below etc, which would imply that once the lashing is in effect, it should affect the whole body at once).

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2014

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
If someone brings it up to him at a signing or similar, I'm sure he'll actually come up with an official explanation.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Or, you know, don't, because loving christ. Ask an interesting question instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I know he's said that feruchemical iron really doesn't make sense, and you shouldn't think about it too hard.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Quantum Toast posted:

He's said that Roshar has "thirty magic systems... depending on how you count them", so it sounds like he's talking about 10 Surges x 3 Shards, with no combinations.

(And Sel has at least four kinds of magic (AonDor, Chayshan, whatever Dakhor monks use, and Forgery) with only two Shards, so it may not always be as simple as Scadrial either.)

Plus necromancy AKA Bloodsealing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

uh zip zoom posted:

Yes. But I guess he doesn't know about terminal velocity (it took da Vinci to figure that one out, and no-one believed him for a long-rear end time). Or, I suppose, given that he's Lashing himself multiple times, he's actually falling at several g, so more than 9.8 m/s^2, which is only the gravity of earth.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes. But I guess he doesn't know about terminal velocity (it took da Vinci to figure that one out, and no-one believed him for a long-rear end time). Or, I suppose, given that he's Lashing himself multiple times, he's actually falling at several g, so more than 9.8 m/s^2, which is only the gravity of earth.

It also depends on what the gravity of Roshar is. I'd guess at it being lower due to the size of things like chasm fiends and them being covered in shells.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
This wiki says Roshar has a lower gravity (0.7g) and the seasons are only a few weeks long (although I don't know what their source is for that little bit) - http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Roshar

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
edit != quote. syphon == dumb.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
WoR thoughts:

I liked how the story was kept more interesting throughout. Adolin having his duels regularly was a good way to get some fight scenes with some stakes regularly. I also thought that his duel with Sadeas one year from then was actually going to end up coming up again in the next book or two so it was a pleasant surprise that Adolin just straight murders him.

I thought it was funny how Sanderson had the "yeah I'm a bad guy but I'm doing it to unite the world against a greater threat" and had like five separate guys doing it. I mean come on, Sadeas. Talk poo poo, get hit.

I actually liked Shallan's chapters the most. I think my favourite one-off was Taravingian, with his psychohistory. Lift's, which seems love-it-or-hate-it around here, I was neutral on.

If Jasnah is a full potential/actual Radiant, where or what is her spren buddy? Have there been any hints of her talking to one? Maybe she writes to it instead of talking out loud like the others we've seen. Maybe I just don't remember. I was gonna reread the first book, but didn't feel like it and felt like there were plenty of reminders throughout WoR.

That scene where Rock talks about his god coming out of the spring definitely sounds like it's a portal to/from another world. I wonder if that story he told has anything to do with how it came to be. The whole honor/cultivation/odium thing is kinda over my head.

Wit at one point alludes to there being someone else like him (as old as him, I think?) on Roshar. A "she." Any guesses as to who that is?

As for Szeth's prologue in Way of Kings, what I think sticks out the most about it is that it's info-dumpy but not about something especially relevant. If it were a magic system everyone used it would make sense, but it's all Lashing this and Lashing that to that and then when Kaladin learns it in this book it's all pretty much explained again.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Metropolis posted:

If Jasnah is a full potential/actual Radiant, where or what is her spren buddy? Have there been any hints of her talking to one? Maybe she writes to it instead of talking out loud like the others we've seen. Maybe I just don't remember. I was gonna reread the first book, but didn't feel like it and felt like there were plenty of reminders throughout WoR.
Regarding Jasnah, this was revealed early on, and then she actually referenced later while talking to Shallan. Apparently her spren's name is 'Ivory' and he's a little man in a tux who stands on her hand. I don't remember the details, but Shallan caught a glimpse of him once, and Jasnah later started telling Shallan about him, which upset him. Apparently he's still touchy about the Radiants' betrayal.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Metropolis posted:

WoR thoughts:

Wit at one point alludes to there being someone else like him (as old as him, I think?) on Roshar. A "she." Any guesses as to who that is?

I actually did some thinking about this one. Hoid is said to be present at the shattering of Adonalsium, which means that the only people who are around his age would be the original shard bearers. This would suggest to me that he is referring to Cultivation, who is most likely a female, what with the Night Mother likely the largest portion of her remaining.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Those are both good answers, thanks guys.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Metropolis posted:

WoR thoughts:

That scene where Rock talks about his god coming out of the spring definitely sounds like it's a portal to/from another world. I wonder if that story he told has anything to do with how it came to be. The whole honor/cultivation/odium thing is kinda over my head.

Pretty sure that's Hoid. He's described in last book's interlude as having white hair, and he immediately insults Rock.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Edit: whoops

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

syphon posted:

Regarding Jasnah, this was revealed early on, and then she actually referenced later while talking to Shallan. Apparently her spren's name is 'Ivory' and he's a little man in a tux who stands on her hand. I don't remember the details, but Shallan caught a glimpse of him once, and Jasnah later started telling Shallan about him, which upset him. Apparently he's still touchy about the Radiants' betrayal.

He also has a sword, doesn't he? I think he might be able to change size, but can't remember where I read that

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Wit does not have Taln's honor blade, and it being missing is a clue that something is not right with the whole story, per Sanderson. He also said that Taln's being the Herald of the same name was an assumption, which could be misdirection or a clue. Either way, something is going on there.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Blind Melon posted:

Wit does not have Taln's honor blade, and it being missing is a clue that something is not right with the whole story, per Sanderson. He also said that Taln's being the Herald of the same name was an assumption, which could be misdirection or a clue. Either way, something is going on there.

Which further muddies the Ghostbloods motivation, it they where/are aware.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010
Well, via book signing it's confirmed that the Liar of Parsinel and Dragonsteel take place pre-shattering.

EDIT: Also Hemalurgy is literally soul stapling. You're stapling bits of soul together.

Captain Greed fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 21, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Blind Melon posted:

Huh, he seems pretty convinced that he is, and we've even had a, granted it's from a broken mind, POV from him. And the details seem to be that known only to the Heralds themselves. Huh. The plot thickens.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

syphon posted:

This wiki says Roshar has a lower gravity (0.7g) and the seasons are only a few weeks long (although I don't know what their source is for that little bit) - http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Roshar

Pretty sure the seasons were explained in WoK.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

api call girl posted:

Huh, he seems pretty convinced that he is, and we've even had a, granted it's from a broken mind, POV from him. And the details seem to be that known only to the Heralds themselves. Huh. The plot thickens.

My guess the real herald has been getting people to fill in for him, either willingly or by force, giving them a shardblade and sending them to fight in his place until they are driven insane, then replacing them, only something has gone wrong this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Thanks a lot you guys for mentioning Warbreaker and it's tie in with WoR. I spent last night up until 2 am going through the avalanche of the last 80 pages of the book. You all suck.

On to Elantris I suppose.