Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I took this thread to a bad place and I apologize.

As great as it was when it started Pardon the Interruption totally destroyed ESPN. Once it became a sort of hit they just filled their network with nothing but debate stuff with increasingly worse returns until eventually we wound up with First Take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

The one thing that still amazes me about ESPN is...when they put their time and effort on something, and don't half rear end it? They do indeed live up to the "World Wide Leader" slogan.

The Megacast, "30 for 30 series", "Outside the lines", and "Olbermann" are all very much worthy of praise.

Sportscenter I kind of view as something that's been half assed in quite a few ways.

It feels like "First Take" was literally a virus that has spread throughout the network.

The problem is that with the exception of a handful of the 30 for 30s, none of that stuff is a draw.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And it's only a matter of time before Olbermann re-torches the bridge.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
FIFA is telling teams to wear mostly monochromatic uniforms for the World Cup because they say it will make the HDTV signal smaller, less complicated, and easier to broadcast to such a large audience. Is there any actual science to this? It sounds like complete bullshit, like your mom telling you the computer is slow because there are too many icons on the desktop. Isn't HDTV bandwidth determined by digital compression methods, not what you are pointing the camera at?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

FIFA is telling teams to wear mostly monochromatic uniforms for the World Cup because they say it will make the HDTV signal smaller, less complicated, and easier to broadcast to such a large audience. Is there any actual science to this? It sounds like complete bullshit, like your mom telling you the computer is slow because there are too many icons on the desktop. Isn't HDTV bandwidth determined by digital compression methods, not what you are pointing the camera at?
Honestly that sounds like a complete load of poo poo. If it was such an issue then they might as well tell the teams that they can't have uniform numbers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

ElwoodCuse posted:

It is probably bullshit, but compression algorithms achieve better results the more 'samey' the data is. So, fewer colors and shapes lead to better compression ratios.

It is still probably bullshit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adding on the train calling it bullshit but if it keeps those USMNT Where's Waldo kits the gently caress away, I'm all for it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

Adding on the train calling it bullshit but if it keeps those USMNT Where's Waldo kits the gently caress away, I'm all for it.

I love those Waldo jerseys and I need to remember to buy one.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I think this is the right place for this question. Is there a chance in the future that some events/games will have different sets of announcers/commentators to purchase or choose between? I do not mean different languages, more along the lines of commentators that have different flow and style, more or less insight and analysis, and some have better chemistry then others. This has just had me thinking that through this last year of football season and now all most done with hockey and basketball that I am getting so tired of guys yelling at any single thing, my dislike of the constant play-by-play, or worse is some voices are just grating. I know that right now broadcast rights determine who will commentate and that is it, but as streaming online becomes more popular each year do you see a chance of other commentators happening?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Outside of the 2014 BCS National Championship Game, nobody has ever tried that, and nobody will for the next ~5 years.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Outside of the 2014 BCS National Championship Game, nobody has ever tried that, and nobody will for the next ~5 years.

I thought that went really well. Did it not (ratings wise)?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I thought that went really well. Did it not (ratings wise)?

I have some numbers here. Nobody really viewed the alternate feeds:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/january/bcs-championship-megacast-viewership-numbers.html

quote:

ESPN: 25.57 million average viewers
ESPN2 (Title Talk): 389,000 average viewers
ESPNEWS (BCS Film Room): 100,000 average viewers

Auburn radio call: 30,900 average viewers
Florida State radio call: 28,202 average viewers
Campus conection: 17,263 average viewers
Spidercam: 11,553 average viewers

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

The question I have is what would those ESPN stations have done if they just aired whatever they would normally air during a huge-rear end ESPN telecast?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently Chris Russo is going to be an in-studio guest analyst on MLB Network during Opening Day.

NO

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

CVagts posted:

The question I have is what would those ESPN stations have done if they just aired whatever they would normally air during a huge-rear end ESPN telecast?

I assume ESPN2 would have been airing a mid-tier college basketball game which could probably have done better than ~400,000 viewers (and that was their money telecast with celebrities and poo poo)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

The problem is that with the exception of a handful of the 30 for 30s, none of that stuff is a draw.

Yeah, I think Deadspin and some other writers have brought up the fact that a lot of people at ESPN hate the direction. But at the end of the day poo poo like First Take draws more viewers than the stuff most of us like.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

I assume ESPN2 would have been airing a mid-tier college basketball game which could probably have done better than ~400,000 viewers (and that was their money telecast with celebrities and poo poo)

That also seemed like the worst idea, although I can't claim that I watched it to confirm. The coaches thing was pretty good but it would work better as a replay on ESPN classic or something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

That also seemed like the worst idea, although I can't claim that I watched it to confirm. The coaches thing was pretty good but it would work better as a replay on ESPN classic or something.

The Celebrity thing wasn't half-bad for what it was.

The smart thing would have been for it to cater towards casual fans who have no clue about the game.

It was at it's best when Rece Davis was kind of guiding things.

They hosed up the worst during the "Sounds of the BCS" on ESPNU where they kept cutting to commercial. I found that to be dumb. They should have at the very least showed the half time show in full.

I think the multi-cast thing can work,

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just recently read the book 'Those Guys Have All the Fun' about ESPN, and yeah, Mark Shapiro started most of that 'First Take' type stuff with PTI and then Around the Horn. He's mostly to blame for that, as when he took over he pushed the debate shows more.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Too bad spidercam did so badly. There goes my hopes for the death of the sideline camera.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That camera almost killed Marvin McNutt one time so it can go gently caress itself.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So Brent Musberger has officially taken a demotion that ESPN has spun brilliantly as "THE #1 ANCHOR OF SEC NETWORK" (which works as long as you pretend SEC Network is going to get any game more important than Arkansas vs Troy or something).

It's been assumed Chris Fowler is Musberger's replacement as ESPN's #1 guy, to be paired with Kirk Herbstreit, but now that we're at the door, we'll see if ESPN gets any last minute ideas. Who would you choose to replace one of the current most iconic voices in sports?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

So Brent Musberger has officially taken a demotion that ESPN has spun brilliantly as "THE #1 ANCHOR OF SEC NETWORK" (which works as long as you pretend SEC Network is going to get any game more important than Arkansas vs Troy or something).

It's been assumed Chris Fowler is Musberger's replacement as ESPN's #1 guy, to be paired with Kirk Herbstreit, but now that we're at the door, we'll see if ESPN gets any last minute ideas. Who would you choose to replace one of the current most iconic voices in sports?

Marv Albert.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Crazy Ted posted:

Apparently Chris Russo is going to be an in-studio guest analyst on MLB Network during Opening Day.

NO

They're going to have him on all the time, they're giving him a daytime talk show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If it's up to me, it's Nessler.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Brent is indeed an icon.

Sounds stupid to say, but back when he and Danielson were paired up for Big Ten ball, it helped me get into the sport more.

Al Michaels, Dick Enberg, Jim McKay and Brent are/were guys you can literally toss anywhere to cover an event, and they'll have you watching until the end.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And Russo's former on-air partner is officially on Fox Sports 1/2

Neil Best ‏@sportswatch
Mike Francesa announces that his simulcast will be on @FOXSports1 and FoxSports2 starting March 24.

Francesa will be seen on @FoxSports1 from 1 to 4 p.m., then on FoxSports2 from 4 to 6 p.m.

Francesa said he had more than one offer "but clearly the Fox Sports people were the most aggressive. They made the biggest offer."

One motivation for @FOXSports1 was to increase its presence and visibility in New York market.

Francesa said the deal with Fox is for four years, which matches his @WFAN660 contract.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
If not Fowler, then Rece Davis. If not Rece Davis, then Joe Tessitore.

But please, God, give Rece and Joe partners who actually do cogent game analysis to work with.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

But please, God, give Rece and Joe partners who actually do cogent game analysis to work with.

I have no clue what you're talking about.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

If it's up to me, it's Nessler.

EA Sports used that pair for so long that it feels like it was already a thing

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I miss him doing hockey, but does Gary Thorne ever do football? I know he does baseball and Little League

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Hockles posted:

I miss him doing hockey, but does Gary Thorne ever do football? I know he does baseball and Little League

He's done a few college bowl games for ESPN. Probably the most notable one was the '05 Capital One Bowl with Iowa's last second TD.

And I miss the hell out of him calling hockey, even though I love Doc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

He's done a few college bowl games for ESPN. Probably the most notable one was the '05 Capital One Bowl with Iowa's last second TD.

And I miss the hell out of him calling hockey, even though I love Doc.

He was calling the Frozen Four for ESPN for quite a while, then last year they tried John Buccigross and holy poo poo he was bad :stonk:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I used to like Buccigross but at some point he lost his mind and went whole hog with cutesy bullshit and insufferable made-up slang. He's awful on twitter. It's a shame because he was one of the few people on ESPN TV who knew anything about hockey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I used to like Buccigross but at some point he lost his mind and went whole hog with cutesy bullshit and insufferable made-up slang. He's awful on twitter. It's a shame because he was one of the few people on ESPN TV who knew anything about hockey.

His play by play of the frozen four was just... bizarre. He'd go from shouting to whispering, he had all these weird phrases, and I honestly felt kinda bad for Barry Melrose on color because the guy was trying his damndest to cover for him, get him back on track, etc.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fowler officially gets the lead job with Kirk Herbstreit. It might just be my personal opinion but I think people will be underwhelmed. Fowler is a good host on College Gameday, but he's a completely average play by play man, and is better suited to golf and tennis for that role. I've always considered Fowler/Palmer on Thursday Night Football to be Amateur Hour, to be honest.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In sports radio news that doesn't suck, Mike Salk didn't last long in Boston. He's coming back to Seattle.

http://mynorthwest.com/444/2475024/Mike-Salk-returning-to-710-ESPN-Seattle

I look forward to him politely calling Brock Huard a loving idiot again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FS1 is shuffling its lineup once again. Fox Football Daily is on hiatus and they're debuting something called "America's Pregame"

quote:

America's Pregame will premiere April 7th on FS1. Hosted by Mike Hill, the network describes the show as "designed to be a fun and fast-paced look ahead, America's Pregame answers for fans: Who is playing? What’s at stake? Where can I watch it? When is it on? Why should I watch it? In short, it sets up the evening’s viewing with a dash of news and analysis when needed."

Sounds interesting. Can't wait for it to get retooled/canceled in 3 months because people still aren't watching FS1.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone else digging the TNT/TBS/CBS integration for March Madness?

Save for the whole "Jim Nantz is our lead announcer" thing, it feels like they have a good thing going on.

Always felt the Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith studio team made the NBA Playoffs quite fun to watch.

I wish those guys would cover the NBA Finals over ESPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone else digging the TNT/TBS/CBS integration for March Madness?

I like that TBS, TNT, and Tru are consecutive channels on DirecTV