Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i know at least two guys who fit this description perfectly

the last one i dealt with managed to gently caress up both ssl and smtp auth, leaving imap in cleartext and having an open SMTP relay. he was a "security expert" who built "government systems".

he convinced my client not to use windows for their server because it was too insecure. loving hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

osx ui is also loving terrible

but they have lots of money to convince people it's not. it amazes me anyone can put up with that bullshit for more than an hour

"OS X confuses me because I have a giant beard and am reluctant to learn anything new"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
os x has a lot of really clever and well implemented workarounds that kinda mitigate the fact that it is an absolutely awful window manager.

it's easy to use despite itself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gnome has a lot of the same workarounds, poorly implemented, for much the same reasons.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are maybe one or two things that osx does w/ window management that I'd like in windows but everything else is awful.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Window managers are hell for many reasons, but I'm curious: what features from Windows or otherwise would you like in our window manager? I'm doing a large-scale refactoring of our WM this cycle to clean up the Wayland support, so features will be quicker to add.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
prob my fav recently added feature is the thing where you hover over an item in the task bar and get a thumbnail preview of the app and/or its tabs and then if you hover over the tabs it brings that window/tab forward for as long as you're hovering.

altho for Linux I would suggest you start by adding font rendering that doesn't look like garbage. also hire someone to fix your icons. their all gross. altho tbqh I don't really even use Linux that much these days let alone a Linux gui. like really "just make it totally like windows" is your best option. that runs counter to linuxism but its also why it would be good.

also I just got a little booklet for redhate training. can you take me off your mailing list? thanks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gesture controlled window/tab picker (ala expose) and alt-tab style window switching with gestures would make things a lot quicker to navigate

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mouse gestures are bad and so is expose.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

altho for Linux I would suggest you start by adding font rendering that doesn't look like garbage.

Let me know when you are seeing bad font rendering. We recently heavily improved the freetype autohinter, and so there's a few regressions here and there. Screenshots go a long way.

Shaggar posted:

also hire someone to fix your icons. their all gross.

We hired four of them. They make some pretty great icons now.

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/#icons

Shaggar posted:

also I just got a little booklet for redhate training. can you take me off your mailing list? thanks.

All the mailing lists we manage internally have an unsubscribe button at the bottom. If it doesn't work, forward it to me at jasper@redhat.com . That usually means one of our marketing partners hosed up again. We have strict rules about no spamming.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

gesture controlled window/tab picker (ala expose) and alt-tab style window switching with gestures would make things a lot quicker to navigate

Expose has been part of GNOME3 since the beginning.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Let me know when you are seeing bad font rendering. We recently heavily improved the freetype autohinter, and so there's a few regressions here and there. Screenshots go a long way.

All the mailing lists we manage internally have an unsubscribe button at the bottom. If it doesn't work, forward it to me at jasper@redhat.com . That usually means one of our marketing partners hosed up again. We have strict rules about no spamming.

I haven't used a Linux gui since like redhate/centos 5.2 or something and then it was the default gnome which is that really ugly one thats been on Linux forever. so I probably haven't seen ur newer guis.

I meant a litteral mail item. snail mail. it was also a joke.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Expose has been part of GNOME3 since the beginning.

and it doesn't work for poo poo. this is the poorly implemented part in my previous comment

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mind expanding on that? What issues are you having with it?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
if you guys want to watch a terrible thing please go watch "linux action show" on youtube

the fedora'd beard host isn't too bad when he's not getting poo poo straight up wrong, but the co-host is a complete pleb (evidence: he wears a "bazinga!" shirt on nearly every episode)

it's insufferable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

brilliantly designed, and easy to understand:

and these two, photos, gallery? are they the same thing? who knows?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish, gnome 3 still owns a whole bunch and i use it every day, ty

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Mind expanding on that? What issues are you having with it?

chunky/jittery animation, missed clicks, jumping windows at times. it also didn't seem to actually support gestures the last time i tried it, but that was a while ago now.

i also seem to remember it only handling programs, not tabs or sub windows

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

also the overview is fine, gently caress the haters

pidgin is garbage trash for babies and i'm surprised anyone still uses it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

brilliantly designed, and easy to understand:

Both look OK and easy to understand to me.

and these two, photos, gallery? are they the same thing? who knows?

He did two different Photos icons for two different customers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is neat though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpTHXEUTesA

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

chunky/jittery animation, missed clicks, jumping windows at times. it also didn't seem to actually support gestures the last time i tried it, but that was a while ago now.

i'm using my on-chip GPU and don't have any performance problems. i don't recall the shell ever claiming to support gestures.

stop using tabs, use individual instances, spread them across workspaces (relevant to whatever you're working on in that space)

$5 says the response is "b-b-but that breaks ~my workflow~"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oval office AND PASTE posted:

i'm using my on-chip GPU and don't have any performance problems. i don't recall the shell ever claiming to support gestures.

stop using tabs, use individual instances, spread them across workspaces (relevant to whatever you're working on in that space)

it doesn't break my workfow, because i just use os x for any *nix stuff i need, which supports all of what i mentioned and works with gestures. gestures are the key part though because having to use key combos to trigger the function or switch windows slows things down significantly, and is a big part of why it sucks on gnome.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

chunky/jittery animation

Honest question: what GPU are you using? Most of the performance issues we've seen are actually a combination of vsync and a bad GPU performance governor, namely Intel chips.

Gory details over here: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=719368#c13

missed clicks, jumping windows at times.

This absolutely shouldn't happen. I've never seen it myself. If you are interested in it at all and can manage to reproduce, please let me know and I'll try to track it down.

it also didn't seem to actually support gestures the last time i tried it, but that was a while ago now.

Yeah, gestures support is something that's a long-time coming. We've tried really really hard to add it to Xorg, but we've just sunk in a bunch of code and bad ideas. This is one of those things that Wayland could fix for us.

There's no API for an application to render and expose multiple tabs as separate surfaces right now. We could add such a feature, but it would be hell to automatically hook up.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

it doesn't break my workfow, because i just use os x for any *nix stuff i need, which supports all of what i mentioned and works with gestures. gestures are the key part though because having to use key combos to trigger the function or switch windows slows things down significantly, and is a big part of why it sucks on gnome.

Are you talking about touch gestures or mouse gestures? What sort of gestures do you want?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the windows 7 taskbar solution is superior because it handles both the separate window and the separate tab scenarios the same way.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the windows 7 taskbar solution is superior because it handles both the separate window and the separate tab scenarios the same way.

except no one uses internet explorer lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Honest question: what GPU are you using? Most of the performance issues we've seen are actually a combination of vsync and a bad GPU performance governor, namely Intel chips.

Gory details over here: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=719368#c13

This absolutely shouldn't happen. I've never seen it myself. If you are interested in it at all and can manage to reproduce, please let me know and I'll try to track it down.

since you're looking for honest feedback, i'll drop it. i can't reproduce the issues as i have neither the install nor the laptop it was running on any more. for reference it was a first gen intel i3 with intel GMA video, 8gb ram and an ssd.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Are you talking about touch gestures or mouse gestures? What sort of gestures do you want?

touch gestures, although if it can be implemented in a sane way with mouse gestures, i'd love to see it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

except no one uses internet explorer lol

firefox does it too, don't know about chrome.

it's not as convenient as expose though

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

we only suffer 'tabs' to cater to environments that didn't have workspaces (like windows still doesn't) or to users didn't use them even if they were available

there's coming to be less and less reason for tabbed anything on a desktop

it took years for support to show up in firefox, it still wasn't enabled by default, and it didn't work when i enabled it. i haven't used windows in six months, maybe it's changed since then. but windows 7 came out in 2009 and if it took them until late 2013 to turn this feature on, i can't imagine it's a trivial thing that any app can just turn on

i don't use chrome much but i don't remember it working there, either

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
At least on my Windows 7 machine, it doesn't show all tabs as popups in the superbar.

I remember that it used to, but I think they dropped that feature.

touch gestures, although if it can be implemented in a sane way with mouse gestures, i'd love to see it.

Yeah, as I said, XI2 and WM gestures are nearly impossible from a code perspective. It stems from the whole "oh we should support every possible use case and combination" and when we try to write the code it just gets stuck and hangs. We genuinely tried and wrote code, though.

It might be a bit out of date, but here's our current design for gestures:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Gestures

Does that look OK to you? I don't think it's gotten any feedback yet, so it's in no way set in stone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah its more convenient

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

it took years for support to show up in firefox, it still wasn't enabled by default, and it didn't work when i enabled it. i haven't used windows in six months, maybe it's changed since then. but windows 7 was 2009 and if it took them until 2014 to turn this feature on, i can't imagine it's a trivial thing that any app can just turn on

It used to be on by default, but it meant that clicking on the giant Firefox icon to switch to Firefox didn't work. I hated that feature when it was on.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk why youd use an app that would purposefully break the preview window for no reason. thats pretty dumb.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

Window managers are hell for many reasons, but I'm curious: what features from Windows or otherwise would you like in our window manager? I'm doing a large-scale refactoring of our WM this cycle to clean up the Wayland support, so features will be quicker to add.

please add a WM hint indicating that a program is a terminal, then make Alt-Tab in GNOME 3 treat each terminal as a separate application. A terminal isn't a program free-standing application, it's a frame for free-standing applications, they don't have anything to do with each other so there's no reason at all to group them with Alt+`. Same applies to web browsers these days, they're frames for collections of unrelated programs. I notice you've got a hardcoded list of known terminal programs already as a temporary workaround with a view to adding such a hint in the future anyway so I guess that might be one more thing to key off that hint, but I guess you'd need signoff from the UX guys to do that.

also i really wish that Alt+Tab wouldn't cross virtual desktops because that kind of defeats the entire point of isolating your ~*workflows*~ like that in the first place (no i don't want to cycle through all 30 programs i currently have open, i hate that poo poo in windows), but the gnome 3 people seem pretty dead set on keeping it that way so i guess i'll have to make do with hoping somebody puts this in an extension.

(I read the metacity wayland branch commit logs when I'm bored. I'm pretty sure I'm the most pathetic person itt :shobon: )

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

we only suffer 'tabs' to cater to environments that didn't have workspaces (like windows still doesn't) or to users didn't use them even if they were available

there's coming to be less and less reason for tabbed anything on a desktop

it took years for support to show up in firefox, it still wasn't enabled by default, and it didn't work when i enabled it. i haven't used windows in six months, maybe it's changed since then. but windows 7 came out in 2009 and if it took them until late 2013 to turn this feature on, i can't imagine it's a trivial thing that any app can just turn on

i don't use chrome much but i don't remember it working there, either

actually its an extremely trivial thing if you're using the systems native ui components. even those ancient window w/ smaller interior windows (I forget the name of it) windows 3.11 style apps supported it cause its all just calls down to the native apis.

failfox probably uses gtk or some similar garbage if it didn't work or something., idk if thats right though cause I seem to recall even firefox had it like a few months into the win7 beta. I cant know for sure cause I don't use bad browsers.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

the windows 7 superbar is literally the best iteration of the taskbar that's ever been done, it's too bad windows is forever broken

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
put it this way Alternate Tab is far and away the most popular extension on e.g.o and there's a reason for that.

e: er, or was

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Shaggar posted:

actually its an extremely trivial thing if you're using the systems native ui components. even those ancient window w/ smaller interior windows (I forget the name of it) windows 3.11 style apps supported it cause its all just calls down to the native apis.

failfox probably uses gtk or some similar garbage if it didn't work or something., idk if thats right though cause I seem to recall even firefox had it like a few months into the win7 beta. I cant know for sure cause I don't use bad browsers.

no, i remember it took a year or so after windows 7 release for it to even work into the testing builds, which i switched to right away and was disappointed that it never worked

i followed it closely because i really loved the feature and couldn't understand why apps didn't/couldn't implement it immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

just looked at the latest firefox on windows and it still doesn't have the tab preview on the taskbar lol