Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Suspicious Dish posted:

It might be a bit out of date, but here's our current design for gestures:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Gestures

Does that look OK to you? I don't think it's gotten any feedback yet, so it's in no way set in stone.

that looks really good actually. except two finger hold + tap, which i think would be awkward. the actions make sense though, which is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

please add a WM hint indicating that a program is a terminal, then make Alt-Tab in GNOME 3 treat each terminal as a separate application. A terminal isn't a program free-standing application, it's a frame for free-standing applications, they don't have anything to do with each other so there's no reason at all to group them with Alt+`. Same applies to web browsers these days, they're frames for collections of unrelated programs. I notice you've got a hardcoded list of known terminal programs already as a temporary workaround with a view to adding such a hint in the future anyway so I guess that might be one more thing to key off that hint, but I guess you'd need signoff from the UX guys to do that.

We sort of already did this, but it was controversial so it was reverted: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695010

Mr Dog posted:

also i really wish that Alt+Tab wouldn't cross virtual desktops because that kind of defeats the entire point of isolating your ~*workflows*~ like that in the first place (no i don't want to cycle through all 30 programs i currently have open, i hate that poo poo in windows), but the gnome 3 people seem pretty dead set on keeping it that way so i guess i'll have to make do with hoping somebody puts this in an extension.

$ gsettings set org.gnome.shell.app-switcher current-workspace-only true

If you use the built-in window switcher instead (it's a separate keybinding in Settings, check on the Keyboard and set it so that Alt+Tab is for Switch Windows rather than Switch Applications), then:

$ gsettings set org.gnome.shell.window-switcher current-workspace-only true

Workspaces actually have two different sets of use cases. We discussed this for a full day, and I wrote a bug comment about it: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=660502#c13

Mr Dog posted:

(I read the metacity wayland branch commit logs when I'm bored. I'm pretty sure I'm the most pathetic person itt :shobon: )

metacity is being ported to wayland?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey man, it looks like you left your source open. i went ahead and closed it for you. be more careful!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

put it this way Alternate Tab is far and away the most popular extension on e.g.o and there's a reason for that.

e: er, or was

Yeah, it's built-in to the core now. In fact, all the extension does now is just swap around those keybindings and give you easy access to the settings.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

hey man, it looks like you left your source open. i went ahead and closed it for you. be more careful!

Whoops, sorry about that. Thanks for the help!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Window managers are hell for many reasons, but I'm curious: what features from Windows or otherwise would you like in our window manager? I'm doing a large-scale refactoring of our WM this cycle to clean up the Wayland support, so features will be quicker to add.

• configurable taskbar -- i want to be able to turn grouping on and off, choose which windows to be included in the list on a given workspace

• pin above/below

• pin to particular workspace or all workspaces

• separate horizontal/vertical maximize shortcuts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

oval office AND PASTE posted:

no, i remember it took a year or so after windows 7 release for it to even work into the testing builds, which i switched to right away and was disappointed that it never worked

i followed it closely because i really loved the feature and couldn't understand why apps didn't/couldn't implement it immediately

obviously in wpf is braindead easy http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff699128.aspx and that stuff all just binds down to windows forms or other win32 stuff. firefox must have its own internal window manager. that would also explain why it took them so long to fix their fonts by moving to the newer font system or whatever in vista.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

metacity is being ported to wayland?

mutter, sorry.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

stop using tabs, use individual instances, spread them across workspaces (relevant to whatever you're working on in that space)

$5 says the response is "b-b-but that breaks ~my workflow~"

gently caress you

my workflow is what matters.

i give zero shits about how ~*~ elegant ~*~ the design is, or how much your grandma liked it in the lab. unless it is immediately and obviously better* than what I'm doing, it's poo poo and you can go gently caress yourself

* it will never, ever be immediate or obvious. so here's another way to put it: never break my workflow.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

just looked at the latest firefox on windows and it still doesn't have the tab preview on the taskbar lol

it does, and it works, it's just not turned on by default. i've been using it for a couple years now

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

mutter, sorry.

I make a lot of commits.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• configurable taskbar -- i want to be able to turn grouping on and off, choose which windows to be included in the list on a given workspace

• pin above/below

No, I'm not going to give you a custom scripting language so you can determine what windows are in what taskbars on what workspaces. Or, if I am going to give you a scripting language for that, it will be JavaScript.

Support for above/below, and sticky window support still exists, and it's still supported. There are keyboard shortcuts and they're in the right-click menu for every window on the titlebar.

Separate horizontal / vertical maximize was long considered a mistake, and we don't support it anymore, for a variety of reasons I could tell you about. This was not a GNOME decision. Most other environments don't support it either. I'd be happy to tell you why, but something tells me you're going to say something about how everybody is an idiot, and then go off into the distance again.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

stop using tabs, use individual instances, spread them across workspaces (relevant to whatever you're working on in that space)
"my arm hurts when i move it"

"well stop moving your arm then!!"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• pin above/below

wow

i hear in cinnamon, you can name your workspaces. in the upcoming version, you can even buy them engagement rings

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Genuinely honest, I don't use workspaces. They never fit into my workflow. So I'm not very familiar with the workspace code, or the arguments for/against them or why people are mad.

I'll relay the feedback to people who are more familiar with it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
being able to d&d entire workspaces up and down the stack would be p handy too

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gently caress you

my workflow is what matters.

i give zero shits about how ~*~ elegant ~*~ the design is, or how much your grandma liked it in the lab. unless it is immediately and obviously better* than what I'm doing, it's poo poo and you can go gently caress yourself

* it will never, ever be immediate or obvious. so here's another way to put it: never break my workflow.

"hi i'd like to try a new desktop environment, wait, what do you mean it's different"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Genuinely honest, I don't use workspaces. They never fit into my workflow. So I'm not very familiar with the workspace code, or the arguments for/against them or why people are mad.

I'll relay the feedback to people who are more familiar with it.

workspaces are dumb and you should remove them. they are a hack that prevents you from fixing the problem they're supposed to solve

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"my arm hurts when i move it"

"well stop moving your arm then!!"

Yeah, oval office AND PASTE's argument is really bad and I hope that nobody actually thinks that's what we're saying here.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

being able to d&d entire workspaces up and down the stack would be p handy too

I actually wrote a few patches for this a few years ago because my former boss wanted it, but it's somewhat difficult. My poor fairly recollection is that with the code right now, we assume workspaces can only be added at the end, and there's no good way to swap their order in place. So I had to do a thing where I add a new workspace, move all the windows down, and then move the windows at the end into the empty one in the middle, etc.

I might have actually wrote a towers of hanoi solver as part of it? I think?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

this thread is way too serious for yos pos gas

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Obviously, we're not going to be Windows 95 in terms of UI design. Use MATE if you really want that.

But we're not going to say "your existing workflow is loving terrible and you should adapt to the glorious GNOME3 world" while still providing a modern, smooth environment. It's a balance and we make mistakes all the time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a balance and we make mistakes all the time.

mistake #1: gnome 3*

*jk: all linux WMs are bad

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, oval office AND PASTE's argument is really bad and I hope that nobody actually thinks that's what we're saying here.

if you have dynamic workspaces, surely you're meant to spread your tasks across them, why is this a bad use

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

if you have dynamic workspaces, surely you're meant to spread your tasks across them, why is this a bad use

Because there are multiple ways of organizing and using a desktop. I use tabs and the window switcher and disable workspaces entirely.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
or, as I just said like a few posts ago

Suspicious Dish posted:

Workspaces actually have two different sets of use cases. We discussed this for a full day, and I wrote a bug comment about it: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=660502#c13

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

workspaces are that dumb linux thing where there are different "pages" to a single display right?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's in OS X as well. It's known as "Spaces".

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

on windows i wanted two monitors because "i need the screen space"

since i went to gnome, i went back to one monitor

i know yospos doesn't want to hear that because dick size is measured by the number and size of displays you have on your desk but i've not thought for one moment that i should hook it up again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i know yospos doesn't want to hear that because dick size is measured by the number and size of displays you have on your desk but i've not thought for one moment that i should hook it up again

that's unfair, you aren't nearly as worried about your dick size as we are

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

women in tech: that's unfair

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

No, I'm not going to give you a custom scripting language so you can determine what windows are in what taskbars on what workspaces. Or, if I am going to give you a scripting language for that, it will be JavaScript.

Support for above/below, and sticky window support still exists, and it's still supported. There are keyboard shortcuts and they're in the right-click menu for every window on the titlebar.

Separate horizontal / vertical maximize was long considered a mistake, and we don't support it anymore, for a variety of reasons I could tell you about. This was not a GNOME decision. Most other environments don't support it either. I'd be happy to tell you why, but something tells me you're going to say something about how everybody is an idiot, and then go off into the distance again.

kde 4 retains all of the features i just named. none of them require you to edit a config file or write a script, they are just in adv prefs dialogues.

because kde, to some extent, still cares about its actual users, the beardlord scientists and engineers. as opposed to the hypothetical casual users chased by unity and gnome. these people do not exist and i do not care about focus groups made from not-actual-users

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

"hi i'd like to try a new desktop environment, wait, what do you mean it's different"

i never wanted to try a new environment, ever

gnome abruptly turned into a new environment without asking me

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

here's a quick path back to 1997 for you: apt-get install mate

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i never wanted to try a new environment, ever

gnome abruptly turned into a new environment without asking me

OK. Software moves on and newer versions are released. You can keep using GNOME 2, you just won't get updates. In the same way you can keep using Windows XP, you just won't get updates.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

spankmeister posted:

this thread is way too serious for yos pos gas

Suspicious Dish posted:

I actually wrote a few patches for this a few years ago because my former boss wanted it, but it's somewhat difficult. My poor fairly recollection is that with the code right now, we assume workspaces can only be added at the end, and there's no good way to swap their order in place. So I had to do a thing where I add a new workspace, move all the windows down, and then move the windows at the end into the empty one in the middle, etc.

I might have actually wrote a towers of hanoi solver as part of it? I think?

actually, this is pretty funny

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

here's a quick path back to 1997 for you: apt-get install mate

or i can use kde and have both new features and continuity with the past

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK. Software moves on and newer versions are released. You can keep using GNOME 2, you just won't get updates. In the same way you can keep using Windows XP, you just won't get updates.

software is a living document, and an end to updates is a lingering death. nobody does new buildouts on windows xp, or advocates its use to their network, or builds new applications for xp-specific APIs.

here's the reason i continue to engage, suspicious dish: you seem like a smart guy who cares about the outcomes when you release software to users. your efforts are wasted on the "desktop experience" team. i hope you find work that is more meaningful for both you and the wider world. work that builds value for users, instead of confronting them with problems.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

or i can use kde and have both new features and continuity with the past

yes, but unfortunately you'd be using kde.

i know you come from a commercial unix background, but come on, it's hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

yes, but unfortunately you'd be using kde.

i know you come from a commercial unix background, but come on, it's hideous.

i don't really care for the default carbon on black set against black embedded in infinite transparent darkness, no.

i'm just way too lazy to figure out theming