Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Full Disclosure: Radioactive Bears, I declared the APC as a backup with the assumption you would not show. It still works though. I didn't make clear what I wanted to do with the APC but believe it or not my intention was always:
-get to Shanghai
-make contact
-use the APC to help Peacock can gain entry with the age old "oh, this thing? Fell off the back of a cargo plane. Thought your boss might want a peek."
-if/when things go hot, Doc, Knopf, Peacock and anyone else who got made goes in the van, Xiaolong, Twobit, Lancehead and anyone who can hold a pursuit's attention uses the APC

Doomsayer, is the scary Colonel going to yell at me if we adjourn to a less heavily monitored location for the remainder of the briefing? I feel like we should just figure out what we can and cannot do once we reach China.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Nah I just kind of assumed you guys left.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

EDIT: IGNORE ME

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
CURRENT AGENT ROSTER, FOR MY PERSONAL CONVENIENCE AND ANYONE WHO NEEDS IT ALSO

Cardinal Ximinez as Greg "TWOBIT" Mercer
Mr. Fowl as Jo “Boo” Nin
Radioactive Bears as Bob “Doc” Austerlitz
Lurks With Wolves as Dean "Wesson" Pynchon
TurninTrix as Penelope "Sterling" Spencer
K Prime as Han "Xiaolong" Feizi
Davin Valkri as Leslie "Peacock" Dorien
Captain Walker as David "Lancehead" Carver

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

That's hella useful, thanks!

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 10, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I'm just going to formally say here and now that I'm dropping out of this. I've lost interest, I've lost momentum, it's just a mess all around. The five of you that are still playing better keep having fun with this, though.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I'm just going to formally say here and now that I'm dropping out of this. I've lost interest, I've lost momentum, it's just a mess all around. The five of you that are still playing better keep having fun with this, though.

It's cool man, and I really do thank you for your honest assessment.

Uh, that sounded kind of sarcastic, but seriously thank you! I fully acknowledge that poo poo got bogged down and boring over winter break, then on top of that what little storyline I had mapped out in my head kind of disappeared after the absence. However, now that I'm back at a computer consistently, I still love the idea of this game at least, and I'm dedicated to picking up the pace considerably and (hopefully!) delivering you the kickass Archer/Alpha Protocol/Metal Gear/Whatever spy experience I promised!

However, given everything that's happened, I certainly can't blame anyone for losing interest!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
ACTIVE ROSTER, AS FAR AS I CAN TELL

Cardinal Ximinez as Greg "TWOBIT" Mercer
Mr. Fowl as Jo “Boo” Nin
Radioactive Bears as Bob “Doc” Austerlitz
K Prime as Han "Xiaolong" Feizi
Davin Valkri as Leslie "Peacock" Dorien
Captain Walker as David "Lancehead" Carver

BENEFICIARIES OF DOOMSAYER'S "ALWAYS RECRUIT MORE THAN YOU NEED" POLICY

Lurks With Wolves as Dean "Wesson" Pynchon
TurninTrix as Penelope "Sterling" Spencer

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

BENEFICIARIES OF DOOMSAYER'S "ALWAYS RECRUIT MORE THAN YOU NEED" POLICY

And you all mocked me :v:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Honestly, the large player count is part of why I lost interest. But I hope it goes well for you.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

TurninTrix posted:

Honestly, the large player count is part of why I lost interest. But I hope it goes well for you.

Hey, I totally understand, that's an absolutely valid concern.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

So, being the amazing DM that I am I've really kind of only now actually read through the Fate Core and Accelerated Edition rules, having been mostly going off pre-Core rules prior to this.

Just throwing this out there, would there be any interest in switching over to FAE? Totally, totally cool if not I know we're mid-game and everything, but it seems like it might fit being Super Spies a little better since you can just kinda do whatevs instead of having to make everything a Guns check or w/e.

Again, totally fine with not switching, this is just the first time I've really given FAE a good look and I have to admit it's living up to the hype.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'm fine either way, really. I happen to prefer FAE over FATE Core, but not so much that I'll disrupt everybody else for it.

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.
I also love Fate Accelerated, but I am also totally willing to disrupt everyone for it.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Alright, in that case everyone rebuild your characters with Fate Accelerated rules!

Feel free to change anything and everything about your character! If you want to tweak your Aspects go for it. If for some reason you don't like your character (and I don't know why, I like all your characters!) you're welcome to rebuild it entirely if you'd like!

Also, I'm certainly not saying you have to, but considering we now have a set team you might consider all having different Approaches in the +3 slots, just for variety's sake. Just throwing that out there.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 9, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
The only things that needs changing are at the very end here:

Describe your abilities (Skill Pyramid)
+3: Flashy
+2: Quick, Clever
+1: Forceful, Stealthy
+0: Careful

Describe your peculiar talents (Stunts):
Do I Make You Nervous? -- Because Peacock is just that flaming, whenever he Flashily Creates an Advantage on a living enemy, said enemy cannot directly attack Peacock while the aspect is in effect.
Exotic Dodging -- Because Peacock is very...flexible, he gains +2 to Quick Defends while underdressed.
Chain Shot or Are You All Here for Me? -- Because Peacock is actually really good with firearms, Clever Attacks can engage all targets in a zone at a -1 penalty.

Current Agent Status (Stress and Consequences)
OOO

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Right, the only things that need changing, I was just saying that if you would like to change something, feel free to do so.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Approaches
+3 Sneaky
+2 Careful, +2 Forceful
+1 Clever, +1 Quick
+0 Flashy

Stunts (Refresh 2)
Just a Box: 1/session, utterly confound pursuit with unorthodox tactics or a ridiculous hiding place.
Pretty Good :ocelot:: +2 to Carefully create advantages with a dart attack or called shot.
Snake Attack: +2 to Stealthily attack unaware, distracted, or debilitated targets.
TELL ME WHERE THE BOMB IS: +2 to Forcefully overcome through interrogation or stressing the urgency of the situation.

Signature Equipment
Lucky Strikes: Tastes good like a cigarette should.
Mk.2 Operator: Advanced spec-ops pistol. Integral sound and flash suppressor. Accepts small caliber .32 ammo as well as custom darts with various propeties: anesthetic, mind-addling, and poison to name a few.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 5, 2014

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Hello new folks!

~The Story Thus Far~

- Sigma Protocol agents have been targeted and killed under mysterious circumstances. Almost all of them, in fact, necessitating sending your bottom-of-the-barrel rear end into the field.
- Your one and only lead led you to Shanghai, specifically an office party thrown by a company called VeraCorp where apparently an employee (Knopf) wants to blow the whistle on what's been happening.
- Office party gets attacked by a group of terrorists/mercenaries/whatever.
- After a series of rampings and machinegun fire, Knopf is extracted from the area.
- After a brief interrogation, Knopf reveals that he never had any plans or knowledge relating to the disappearance of Sigma agents. Rather, a strange gentleman by the name of Johnathan Plahvatus came into his office ranting about it.
- Following some investigative work, Plahvatus was revealed to be in the hands of a Triad boss in Hong Kong. He was amenable to releasing him, provided that Sigma Protocol end any and all operations in China.
- The team agreed to those terms and proceeded to interrogate Plahvatus on his role in all this. Plahvatus revealed that the assassination of Sigma agents (and indeed, agents from spy agencies all over the world) is an orchestrated effort by something called the OSIRIS Initiative. That's John's theory, anyway.
- The team is currently being attacked by what are apparently OSIRIS goons.

And you're all caught up!

The game thread is here.

Standard FAE rules apply for character creation. If you have any questions, let me know!

I also highly, highly encourage you to come join us in #Circadia on SynIRC! We are cool people who chat about cool things.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Who are the active characters, so that those of us considering making replacements can have an idea of what the groups composition already is?

(or I should just read the game thread and figure that out I guess...)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Leia "The Mole" Finnigan

High Concept: Ready for the World to Burn
Trouble: Thinks Everyone Will Die Anyway
Third Aspect: Always Prepared

Some people just want the world to burn. And some people are ready for the burning. Colloquially known as "preppers", they stock up on guns, food, and other supplies for when the world ends. Leia is one of these people. Over years, she dug out her basement, turning it into a bunker she thought would be able to survive any attack. Unfortunately, she overextended her building and it was too close to a Sigma Protocol agent's base. When a bomb went off there, it broke into her home. She wandered out looking around for whatever the hell happened. Due to being seen as a possible security risk, she was quickly grabbed and carted off to a Sigma Protocol base. And now that everyone else is dead, she's been thrown on the team, despite having no real spy training.

Approaches
+3 Clever
+2 Stealthy, +2 Careful
+1 Quick, +1 Forceful
+0 Flashy

Stunts
Backpack of Holding: 1/session, I can pull out any item that I have need of that would make sense.
The End is Nigh: +2 to cleverly create an opening by convincing someone the end of the world is coming.
Scavenger: +2 to carefully attack with a weapon I recently found.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Davin_Valkri, Captain_Walker, Mr. Fowl, and Radioactive Bears are the current team, and their characters should be directly above my summation post if Fowl and Bears would get off their asses: argh:!

But basically:

Davin Valkri (Peacock): notLupin the Third
Captain Walker (Lancehead): notSolid Snake
Mr. Fowl (Boo): a ninja from the fabled Louisiana clan
Radioactive Bears (Doc): notKrieger

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Ryan "Ashtray" Fitzsimmons

High Concept: Just Wants the World to Burn
Trouble: When All You Have is a Lighter
Third Aspect: Pencil Pusher

Some people just want the world to burn. They just don't want to get blamed for it. After a thirty year career as a mid level functionary within the branch of Sigma Protocol that concerns itself with making sure all documents are done in triplicate and properly notarized, the agent now known as "Ashtray" came under suspicion in a small cubicle fire that nevertheless happened to destroy a great deal of valuable information. The ensuing investigation revealed that he had likely been involved with no less than twenty-six arson incidents on agency property during his career, many of which had been attributed to moles and espionage from foreign agencies. While standard procedure for this sort of thing would normally involve a bullet to the brain, Fitzsimmons ability to elude suspicion for decades on end, along with a lack of malicious motive towards Sigma Protocol itself, gave the agency a better idea: the destruction he caused could just as easily be used on their enemies.

Approaches
+3 Flashy
+2 Stealthy, +2 Forceful
+1 Clever, +1 Careful
+0 Quick

Stunts
Can It Burn?: Because of my Pathological Pyrophilia, I get a +2 when I cleverly figure out how to make something burn or explode, if such an object would be difficult to ignite under ordinary circumstances.
Leave No Trace: Because I Don't Seem Like the Type, once per game session I can make either myself, or an incriminating piece of evidence, disappear.
Bureaucrat: Because of my long Career at a Desk Job, I get a +2 when I sneakily disguise myself as a pencilpusher once more.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Schizotek posted:

Ryan "Ashtray" Fitzsimmons

Done

djw175 posted:

Leia "The Mole" Finnigan

and done.

Alright, well, that was easy! Thanks everyone, recruiting is now closed!

The game thread is here. Go forth and spy harder than you've ever spied.

It's up to you how you would like to introduce yourselves. From here it looks like there's 3 easy ways of doing it, feel free to just pick one:

1) You've been on the team the whole time, just waiting in the van mostly.
2) Somehow you managed to track down Plahvatus before Alpha team arrived and were just recently picked up with him.
3) If you'd like to sit out the current action, then maybe Blancs sent you as backup.

If you pick options 1 or 2, feel free to help shoot/blow up/ramp some bad guys!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I'd like to just go with 3 because I'm bad at suddenly being in the action out of nowhere.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Sorry I've been out of action for so long; terrible personal issues.

Anyways, if I am still in:

Greg "Twobit" Mercer

High Concept: DIY Cyborg on a Budget
Trouble: Requires Implanted Mood Homeostasis Device to Function
Phase One: Early Adopter of Literally Everything
Phase Two: Paranoid Around Sharp Objects, Especially when Wielded by Ninjas

Approaches
  • +3 Careful
  • +2 Clever, Forceful
  • +1 Flashy, Quick
  • +0 Stealthy
Stunts
  • Because I have Experience with Grafting, I get a +2 when I Carefully create advantages when I am augmenting myself with cybernetics.
  • Because I often make a "Wa-wa-wa-wa-wanh-wanh" noise, I get a +2 when I Forcefully overcome obstacles when confronted with a task that would require superhuman physical ability.
  • Because I have Spare Parts, once per session, I may speed up the rate of recovery from a consequence by one stage (scenario to session, session to scene, scene to instant).

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah, of course you are!

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I'll come in with DJW.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Name: Jo “Boo” Nin (Born Junko Ninomiya)
MOS: Being a Goddamn Ninja
Description: A young woman of indeterminate ethnic background; short, athletic, and surprisingly cheerful given the profession she was born into.
FP: 3/3

High Concept: Last Hope of the Great Southern Crescent Clan
Trouble: Hot poo poo
Phase One: I've Got Friends in Low Places
Phase Two: Plan B for Bomb

Approaches:
  • +3 Stealthy
  • +2 Forceful, Flashy
  • +1 Clever, Quick
  • +0 Careful

Stunts
  • Bullshit no Justsu - Because Jo is the inheritor of centuries of Ninja myth and bullshittery, she can use Bullshit no Jutsu to gain +2 to Flashily Defend against ranged attacks.
  • Always Prepared - Because a ninja is Always Prepared, Jo has all kinds of gadgets on her person--and once person session can produce something essential/important.
  • Batmanning It - When Batmanning It--derived from a Japanese saying roughly translating to "The Wicked Are A Cowardly and Superstitious Lot"--Jo uses Stealth tactics to shock and intimidate her victims. (+2 to stealthy actions to intimidate)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
RRRRRROLL CALL

Cardinal Ximinez: Greg "TWOBIT" Mercer
Mr. Fowl: Jo “Boo” Nin
Radioactive Bears: Bob “Doc” Austerlitz
Davin Valkri: Leslie "Peacock" Dorien
Captain Walker: David "Lancehead" Carver
djw175: Leia "Mole" Finnegan
Schizotek: Ryan "Ashtray" Fitzsimmons

Lurks With Wolves: Dean "Wesson" Pynchon
TurninTrix: Penelope "Sterling" Spencer
K Prime: Han "Xiaolong" Feizi

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

I see you brought along Mr. Boring. I question your choices, Mr. Doomsayer.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Better than S. R. McPrettypants :colbert:

(The S stands for Space, the R for Racist)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
She gets better. Kaiden never gets interesting.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

For the record, no matter who I kill the other gets shoved into a back locker somewhere so I can go on spaceventures with my spacebros Garrus and Tali. Or Garrus and Vega.

I like Garrus :allears:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Guh Vega. gently caress that rear end in a top hat. Garrus and Tali 4 lyfe.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

God the possible teammates in ME3 sucked. I mean all you need is Garrus and Tali, but Tali comes fairly late iirc.

And hey, Vega's cool! He's alright. He's not awful. I guess.

I still maintain that Garrus/Shep is the healthiest, best portrayed relationship in games though :colbert:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's Saturday! Make us feel like awesome, competent super spies!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Captain Walker posted:

It's Saturday! Make us feel like awesome, competent super spies!

Well we're certainly at least one of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I'm sorry! I swear it's coming, but someone is interested in my apartment way sooner than I expected, so today's been a cluster gently caress, still dealing with leases and poo poo :saddowns:

• Locked thread