Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Wait, they didn't seriously use their car right? I haven't paid attention to the vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

To get out from her earlier than promised, I presume. Still pretty stupid to crank it up like that when he's got her committing insanely illegal surveillance oh his behalf. Maybe he wanted to break it of for good and will never come back, but then he'd have to hope there's absolutely nothing she knows that could help identify him.

I think he and Liz's rekindled devotion to eachother had something to do with it too, causing some buried resentment to bubble to the surface, much like how Liz's honeypot schemes got messed up by her feelings this episode too.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Woden posted:

Liz and Phil went to capture some dude but it was a trap by a new man/woman duo. The woman drove off in their car with the dude they wanted to capture ending with Liz and Phil standing over the man from that duo with no transport.

I think it was less of a trap and more that the jewish guy had a Mossad tail who intervened when they saw Phillip and Elizabeth chloroforming him and putting him in their trunk. It seemed like an oh poo poo moment for everyone involved.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Kinda figured they were going to go after the Mossad angle once they hammered home that this guy was devoutly Jewish. So the fight at the end was a pretty awesome payoff for that prediction.

Great episode overall.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It was a special kind of hosed up how Elizabeth gave an exact description of her own rape in order to convince the Navy guy of a fake rape.

Effective but hosed up.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Tortolia posted:

It was a special kind of hosed up how Elizabeth gave an exact description of her own rape in order to convince the Navy guy of a fake rape.

Effective but hosed up.

Yeah, I think that was the reason for her going apeshit on the Mossad guy. The rape story stirred up some anger in her that she needed to release.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008
Did people in the early 80s usually wash their hair in the sink? If Martha doesn't have a shower, that might explain how she hasn't noticed that Philip is wearing a wig constantly.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

DivisionPost posted:

What's funny is that now they absolutely need a new car.

hahaha nice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

Did people in the early 80s usually wash their hair in the sink? If Martha doesn't have a shower, that might explain how she hasn't noticed that Philip is wearing a wig constantly.

People still do this. It's pretty common.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Great episode but I'm also confused about the device Martha had. I don't think it's the device that Philip had her hide in Gaad's office, because I'm pretty sure the device she put in his office was a pen, while the device she had in this episode was larger and rectangular, more like a typical voice memo recorder from that period.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Earwicker posted:

Great episode but I'm also confused about the device Martha had. I don't think it's the device that Philip had her hide in Gaad's office, because I'm pretty sure the device she put in his office was a pen, while the device she had in this episode was larger and rectangular, more like a typical voice memo recorder from that period.
The pen is the recording device, it records onto the cassette tape that is hidden in the fake eyeglasses case.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So um, great episode. Was Agent Gaad demoted (well, threatened by one) because of an investigation over the death of the sniper last week or Vladimir from last season?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

So um, great episode. Was Agent Gaad demoted (well, threatened by one) because of an investigation over the death of the sniper last week or Vladimir from last season?

The sniper. The Americans thought that a KGB agent nearly pulled off a high profile assassination right under their noses and are embarassed about it.

Of course we know he isn't KGB and was simply a disturbed conspiracy nut but it's not like there is any benefit to them informing the FBI via Nina that they're mistaken.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fun episode. Can someone remind me why they are pissed at their handler? I kind of remember Elizabeth kicking her rear end at the end of last season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hed posted:

Fun episode. Can someone remind me why they are pissed at their handler? I kind of remember Elizabeth kicking her rear end at the end of last season.

Claudia had them kidnapped and tortured to see if they were a security risk.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Tortolia posted:

Effective but hosed up.

I found that whole scene in the restaurant really unnerving.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

howe_sam posted:

Claudia had them kidnapped and tortured to see if they were a security risk.

She was also just generally really unpleasant and rude to them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I seriously don't see Martha surviving this season. First, Philip convinces her to stay on as Gaad's secretary because he's useless to her in any other capacity, and now she's likely to be reassigned since it's likely the new guy will want his own secretary. Now she's filling out that form and ominously holding the tape recorder like it's leverage. She should just paint a bullseye on her forehead with lipstick.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elizabeth's eyes were so dead in that car handjob scene.

"I'm so loving sick of this job."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I want to know what car they get as a replacement (considering episode 8 is titled 'New Car')

I wonder how the FBI will be dragged into this attempted kidnapping, if it is Mossad protecting him, the identity of Phillip and Elizabeth are probably safe from Beeman for a little while longer.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gonz posted:

Can someone give me a Cliff Notes version of this episode? My loving DVR decided not to record it last night for some reason.

Same thing happened to me. The "last episode" thing showed Beeman shooting what I can only assume was a wannabe Reagan assassin? Doesn't seem like I missed much otherwise but I have been away from home for weeks and have no way of watching the missed episode. :(

I'm really enjoying the new season but I wish they'd stop showing Keri Russell as some physical bad rear end. It looks like a strong wind could knock her over.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

leidend posted:

I'm really enjoying the new season but I wish they'd stop showing Keri Russell as some physical bad rear end. It looks like a strong wind could knock her over.

To be fair, in that fight she was extraordinarily lucky. Even if she were a world-renowned expert in Combat Sambo (probably what she would've been primarily instructed in), nothing's going to save you when the person you're fighting has 100lb+ of muscle on you, knows how to use it, a longer reach, and probably practices *way* more than you do. I haven't seen either of them sparring to keep sharp, or doing any sort of physical fitness regimens.

The only reason that scene happened was to show that she still had 'fight in her.' It sort of reeked of the kind of situations they put the lead character in The Blacklist in to prove that she's a ~strong and independent woman~.

leidend posted:

Same thing happened to me. The "last episode" thing showed Beeman shooting what I can only assume was a wannabe Reagan assassin?

Reagan wasn't at the hotel, I don't think. He was going to shoot his boss' boss or someone high up in the World Bank, but it was all a setup to put Beeman in line for a promotion to capitalize on Nina's access to him.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 23, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To be fair, in that fight she was extraordinarily lucky. Even if she were a world-renowned expert in Combat Sambo (probably what she would've been primarily instructed in), nothing's going to save you when the person you're fighting has 100lb+ of muscle on you, knows how to use it, a longer reach, and probably practices *way* more than you do. I haven't seen either of them sparring to keep sharp, or doing any sort of physical fitness regimens.

You know what, I never thought about it before but you bring up a good point. They have been in America for what, 15-16 years now? You would think that, unless they are both masters of Sambo and constantly practice, they are bound to have become really rusty in terms of fighting.

Nearly getting killed or having their asses kicked pretty good and having to juggle practicing Sambo regularly to get back in perfect shape and their family lives could be pretty interesting.

quote:

The only reason that scene happened was to show that she still had 'fight in her.' It sort of reeked of the kind of situations they put the lead character in The Blacklist in to prove that she's a ~strong and independent woman~

Yeah it kind of felt like the warehouse factory, just another scene to showcase that 'Even though she was shot, she's still as badass as ever!'

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I seriously don't see Martha surviving this season. First, Philip convinces her to stay on as Gaad's secretary because he's useless to her in any other capacity, and now she's likely to be reassigned since it's likely the new guy will want his own secretary. Now she's filling out that form and ominously holding the tape recorder like it's leverage. She should just paint a bullseye on her forehead with lipstick.

She will disappear soon. Philip has no other reasonable course of action.

I have no idea why he agreed to that sham marriage. It had to unravel at some point. I think he knew that it would, and that he'd just deal with the situation when it happened. But he could have stretched the operation further without such a dangerous play.

Twee as gently caress posted:

Yeah it kind of felt like the warehouse factory, just another scene to showcase that 'Even though she was shot, she's still as badass as ever!'

Her fighting methods are all wrong for someone her size. She should be using joint locks and such, using other people's strength against them instead of throwing haymakers.

(The :spergin: over pretend fighting is now over.)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dr_Strangelove posted:

She will disappear soon. Philip has no other reasonable course of action.

I have no idea why he agreed to that sham marriage. It had to unravel at some point. I think he knew that it would, and that he'd just deal with the situation when it happened. But he could have stretched the operation further without such a dangerous play.

I guess he thought he couldn't get her to bug Gaad's office without that level of commitment, but yeah it seemed pretty sloppy, I don't remember the wedding scene that well but he did meet Martha's parents and she probably has other relatives and friends not to mention her FBI coworkers who will be rather concerned about her inevitable disappearance. I guess he can just make it look like she was the victim of some random mugging gone wrong or something like I think they tried to do with Chris, but they had to sacrifice someone over that mess.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I wonder if Liz & Phil'll ever come across Bob Hanssen or Aldrich Ames, they were both knocking around DC in the early 80s selling secrets. Stick a bit of history in this drama.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

IMO I think it would be really dumb to have any actual historical figure be a character on the show. I love it when episodes revolve around historical events like the Reagan assassination attempt or the Polish Solidarity movement, but having specific people from that time showing up would kind of take it in a silly direction. Though I'm sure they'll reference characters like Hanssen. In fact I think that air force guy with the gambling problem in season 1 was meant to be a sort of stand in for that type.

The death of Brezhnev will be a big topic soon I'm sure since I think the show is at some point in late 81 or early 82 now? That will probably cause some sort of shakeup. Maybe Arkady will be promoted or sent off somewhere and that annoying new guy with the family connections (Oleg?) will become Nina's new boss.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 25, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They handled it pretty well last season with the plot involving bugging Caspar Weinberger's house.

Earwicker posted:

The death of Brezhnev will be a big topic soon I'm sure since I think the show is at some point in late 81 or early 82 now? That will probably cause some sort of shakeup. Maybe Arkady will be promoted or sent off somewhere and that annoying new guy with the family connections (Oleg?) will become Nina's new boss.

Yeah there was an offhand line from Arkady in the last episode about Andropov and how he thinks he'll be general secretary one day. Of course the funny thing is it'd been well known in the government by then that Brezhnev was in piss poor shape, and a faction within the Secretariat had been running the country for a while, with Andropov pushing to be Brezhnev's successor instead of Mikhail Suslov, who also died in early '82.

I don't think the writing's that deep, but it'd be something if it was Arkady intimating to Oleg that he had some higher level knowledge of what was happening back in Moscow in response to Oleg using family connections to finagle a higher security clearance.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 26, 2014

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
205 Promo (that you may have already seen)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX43H8oZ_04

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Extra long episode tonight

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haven't watched the promo but I am going to guess that Martha isn't gonna make it past tonight's episode, or maybe next week.

Oh, picking up exactly where we left off, I see.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

The new handler is hot :allears:

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

The new handler is hot :allears:

"The Center wants you happy. I want you happy."

Yeeeeeah, that affair is happening.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Clark's cover identity now includes autism.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

See ya, Martha!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy awkward, ahahahahaha.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

KGB sex training

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Awkward on so many levels.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:stare: Spy-craft isn't all glamorous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ewwww. This episode is really going for all kinds of awkward.

• Locked thread