Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

King Vidiot posted:

Was Metal Slug ever that common in the States? I mean, maybe I just grew up with some crappy arcades but I'd never heard of Metal Slug at all until I started playing around with MAME years after-the-fact. It seemed like by the time Metal Slug came out in the mid-late 90's all the arcades I used to go to had stuff like Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, etc. If there was ever an SNK game it would be King of Fighters maybe, or Final Fight.

In a word, yes. If an arcade has a Neo Geo machine, chances are it has some version of Metal Slug and Magical Drop (plus two or four other random games), and Neo Geos are pretty prominent in little corner arcades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Was Metal Slug ever that common in the States? I mean, maybe I just grew up with some crappy arcades but I'd never heard of Metal Slug at all until I started playing around with MAME years after-the-fact. It seemed like by the time Metal Slug came out in the mid-late 90's all the arcades I used to go to had stuff like Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, etc. If there was ever an SNK game it would be King of Fighters maybe, or Final Fight.

Final Fight was Capcom.

SNK's main claim to fame was having a standardized set of hardware all games could use, which was a big deal at the time, where ending up with a lovely game meant you were stuck with a huge monstrosity that was a pain to get rid of. Early bootleg versions of games were basically unofficial ports of games to run on common arcade cabinets that had outlived their mass appeal (Scramble hardware was particularly popular for this). I think Metal Slug was "common" if your arcade had a 4-slot MVS or otherwise rotated out the game inside, but you're right that it wasn't like Japan, where it's so common, the fact that every arcade has some version of Metal Slug is a running joke on Game Center CX.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, it was probably the most common of the Neo Geo games out there. Others were popular, but Metal Slug was everywhere. Especially Metal Slug X (which was a variation of 2). I think SNK offered bulk discounts on that while they were going out of business.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Here is a better quality raw for GCCX #176 Nosferatu Part 2. Both parts were fun to watch. Can't wait for season 18.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ir4fu_game-center-cx-176-nosferatu-2_videogames

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Keep in mind there were also 6 Metal Slug's produced for the neo-geo. From what I remember Arino has seen them all in the wild except for 5.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Keep in mind there were also 6 Metal Slug's produced for the neo-geo. From what I remember Arino has seen them all in the wild except for 5.

Seven if you count Metal Slug X separately (it's okay not to, though). Arino has encountered Metal Slug 5, but only once. The only Metal Slug game in the arcade that Arino has not played is Metal Slug 6.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Metal Slug 6 ran on Atomiswave hardware so it isn't really a neo-geo game. :eng101:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Metal Slug 6 ran on Atomiswave hardware so it isn't really a neo-geo game. :eng101:

You're right. I was thinking arcade in general.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKWoiLf3cQ

As short GCCX3-related clip that I can't watch because it's unavailable in my country. Ugh.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

As short GCCX3-related clip that I can't watch because it's unavailable in my country. Ugh.

They made one of those for the second GCCX game as well, though I can't find it off hand.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

It's Arino facing off against the editorial staff of Famitsu with the new game.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Season 18 starts on April 10th with episode #177

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/otn/b_hp/100000017.html

Also, contents of the limited edition DVD are:

- DragonBall (#70) and Pac-Man 2 (#127), chellenge segments only.

- Arino's Challenge 2, he challenges The Chief is a Famous Detective (solve one mystery), Super Demon Returns (clear the game, it has two parts), Invincible Fist Kung-Fu (get the true ending) and Run Under!! Edge Jump Max! (collect over 30 coins)

- Arino of Third Street, there isn't much content here (less than 10 minutes), they introduce some tricks, then Suzui and Maruyama face off in BreakShoot, with Arino challenging the winner

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 22, 2014

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Hokuto posted:

In a word, yes. If an arcade has a Neo Geo machine, chances are it has some version of Metal Slug and Magical Drop (plus two or four other random games), and Neo Geos are pretty prominent in little corner arcades.

The usual cabs I saw were Metal Slug, Bubble Bobble, and Supercop or KOF.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It depends on when you're talking about. In the early days, it was always, like, Magician Lord, Sengoku, NAM-1975 and Ninja Combat. Without fail.

The latter days, it'd be a Metal Slug and a Magical Drop. I almost never saw four-slot machines, and if I did, they'd have KOF and Super Sidekicks carts to go with the slug and drop.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Every 4-slot was/is required to have Puzzle Bobble by law and you won't convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Allen Wren posted:

The latter days, it'd be a Metal Slug and a Magical Drop. I almost never saw four-slot machines, and if I did, they'd have KOF and Super Sidekicks carts to go with the slug and drop.

For me, it would be a rare day if I saw a 6-slot machine. And even rarer to find anything with KOF in it. A local pizza parlor has a random cabinet with SVC Chaos, though. Go figure.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Samurai Shodown II was also a very popular choice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My local arcade has Metal Slug X, Samurai Showdown II, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury 2 in it. I should tell them that the game shop down the street has a copy of Last Blade 2 so maybe one of those could get switched out...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

joek0 posted:

Here is a better quality raw for GCCX #176 Nosferatu Part 2. Both parts were fun to watch. Can't wait for season 18.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ir4fu_game-center-cx-176-nosferatu-2_videogames
Just finished watching this, and what a great end to the season. Also, (not really a game spoiler, but it happens near the end of the challenge) Arino playing grab rear end with the ADs as they try to demonstrate how to attack the final boss, and Kan possibly scolding (I don't know Japanese, but I assume he was scolding :saddowns:) him about it was loving amazing.

Also, if they release only one game from the 3DS game outside of Japan, I'd want it to be that Zelda clone starring the wind-up toy soldier they featured in the segment about the 3DS game. That looks adorable and fun. :3:

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
About the Game Center CX Special in Budokan: I think it was was ok but these show segments were also pretty weird. I wouldn't recommend this special to Game Center CX beginners. I think they wouldn't watch it again. :-D

That Super Mario segment was the highlight. But drat was this long. You need endurance to watch this lol

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Hokuto posted:

The most common games for Neo Geo in the states in no order are Puzzle Bobble, Magician Lord and Nam-1975. Metal Slug was in a lot of places but most every Neo Geo cab I remember growing up had Puzzle Bobble more than Metal Slug.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

flyboi posted:

The most common games for Neo Geo in the states in no order are Puzzle Bobble, Magician Lord and Nam-1975. Metal Slug was in a lot of places but most every Neo Geo cab I remember growing up had Puzzle Bobble more than Metal Slug.

The Neo-Geos I played when I was younger mostly had Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble and some version of King of Fighters as near constants, which was mostly on vacation in Portugal or the Canaries. Never encountered any in Germany or on any of the local Army bases.

As for that future episode, could it be that it involves a window washer?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

The Neo-Geo machines I saw growing up were almost always the 2-game type and generally had a fighting game (KoF / Samurai Showdown / etc) and one of the various sports titles...
Though I may also be selectively editing a billion copies of Metal Slug out of my memory.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In Nosferatu, I wished they had given Arino a shot at getting the good ending. I think he could have got it on 9 continues. I was also surprised that there was no second form of the boss. That whole encounter screamed for like a giant vampire dragon or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drat it, Arino, it's right there! Play that!

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

King Vidiot posted:

Metal Slug itself wasn't too common, but the Neo Geo Multi-Select arcade cabinets were probably just as common in the States. I think almost every arcade had one of these with at least 2 games for it, but I can't honestly remember a specific game that I would always see in one of them. It was the beauty of the MVS system, you could easily have whatever game you wanted, so you would almost always see something different in one of them... at least that was the case for the arcades I went to.
I will always remember hearing the sound of a golf swing from Top Players Golf during attract mode, while playing some other arcade game at a bowling alley I used to go to. I remember that arcade had Top Players Golf, League Bowling, NAM 1975, and one of the fighting games. Another arcade I went to had Puzzle Bobble, and Samurai Showdown.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 24, 2014

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I haven't bought Arino on 3rd Street yet, but so far on Amazon.co.jp, it's got an average of 2 out of 5 stars from 27 reviewers. Most common complaints are lack of 80's vibe, bad controls/graphics/sound, and frustrating game challenges.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

I haven't bought Arino on 3rd Street yet, but so far on Amazon.co.jp, it's got an average of 2 out of 5 stars from 27 reviewers. Most common complaints are lack of 80's vibe, bad controls/graphics/sound, and frustrating game challenges.

Well, drat. Want to buy mine if it's as terrible as they say? :v:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im so jealous of Kibe's bedroom, you have no idea

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

zari-gani posted:

Maybe this is just something that happens to big games like Dragon Quest or whatever, but isn't it common for games like this to be bombarded with negative reviews early on by nerds with an axe to grind?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Random question
At the start of Season 2, they removed the brackets from CX, and talked about it at the beginning of the show saying that they were "renewed", but I still don't exactly get why it was significant. Is there a better explanation as to why the brackets were removed after season 1?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

cubeboy posted:

Random question
At the start of Season 2, they removed the brackets from CX, and talked about it at the beginning of the show saying that they were "renewed", but I still don't exactly get why it was significant. Is there a better explanation as to why the brackets were removed after season 1?

The first season, Game Center [CX], was mostly interviews and game history and the like. Arino's Challenge was just a small segment. After that was over they miraculously got renewed and decided to shift the shows focus to Arinos Challenge with all the other stuff as small segments. They slightly changed the name to Game Center CX to signify that this is a whole new show

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Maybe this is just something that happens to big games like Dragon Quest or whatever, but isn't it common for games like this to be bombarded with negative reviews early on by nerds with an axe to grind?

I don't think that's the case here. https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/447807913222873088

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Im so jealous of Kibe's bedroom, you have no idea

I've actually been in that store, or at least it looks exactly like a store that I've been in. Considering what we know about how GCCX obtains their games and shooting locations, I think it's probably the same one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

drat.

It.

Very real chance that I'll flip my Japanese 3DS, is anything else likely-exclusive in the pipeline?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Didn't they switch developers for the 3DS one? I wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

GXXC3 got 8/8/8/8 in Famitsu, for those who care. The original got 9/8/8/8, no idea about GCCX2.

zari-gani posted:

Is there usually this big of a disconnect between Famitsu scores and fan reaction?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Didn't they switch developers for the 3DS one? I wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

Yeah, indiesZero was busy making NES/Famicom Remix for Nintendo.

Viscous Soda posted:

Is there usually this big of a disconnect between Famitsu scores and fan reaction?

My understanding is that Famitsu scores are essentially just as valid as US game review scores: completely disconnected from reality and likely bought off for major games.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

univbee posted:

Well, drat. Want to buy mine if it's as terrible as they say? :v:

There is someone we know who loves both Game Center CX AND bad games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

There is someone we know who loves both Game Center CX AND bad games...

It's Gutcruncher, right. You're talking about Gutcruncher.

(I don't have a Japanese 3DS anyway.)