Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

Archive.Org has a whole buttload of legal live shows for download:

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Does anyone know of a good show around the Shakedown Street era? That's my favorite era of Dead.

How about this and this

bt.etree.org is the best place for shows, the Dead's policy is no soundboards of things they sell, and no charging money so it's not :filez:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks dude appreciate the help

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004

Lockn had some amazing sit-ins last year. So far they have announced Ratdog, Phil & Friends, Widespread Panic, and the String Cheese Incident. With no Furthur this year it's probably your only chance besides Paradise Waits to see Bobby and Phil on stage together. Phil & friends with Phil, Bobby, Jimmy Herring, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann is a real possibility and would be so great. We are so loving excited

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Bob Weir did an interview with Rolling Stone recently: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-weir-on-the-deads-50th-anniversary-we-owe-it-to-the-songs-20140130

quote:

The Grateful Dead’s 50th anniversary is coming up in 2015. Is it a chance for you to look back and get sentimental?
Let me start by saying that I'm already in my 50th year, so this is an ongoing process. We have to do something commemorative. I think we owe it to the fans, we owe it to the songs, we owe it to ourselves. If there are issues we have to get past, I think that we owe it to ourselves to man up and get past them. If there are hatchets to be buried, then let's get to work. Let's start digging. I'll just say, to my delicate sensibilities, that it would be wrong to let that go by un-commemorated.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
To translate: "these ratdog dates aren't selling well".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

To translate: "these ratdog dates aren't selling well".

Who are they having to bury hatchets with?

I hope they get Haynes on guitar he's my favorite :swoon:

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I'd get on the bus for a reunion.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LordPants posted:

Who are they having to bury hatchets with?
Keith? Mickey? Seems like Bobby, Phil and Billy get along well enough. I wonder if any of them talk to Keith.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I'd get on the bus for a reunion.

I hope I get to see Mystery Box again.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

BigFactory posted:

Keith? Mickey? Seems like Bobby, Phil and Billy get along well enough. I wonder if any of them talk to Keith.

They probably bring out the Ouija board from time to time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

They probably bring out the Ouija board from time to time.

Keith's not dead is he? poo poo, I guess he is. I though he just quit.

Donna's still kickin'.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 3, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

BigFactory posted:

Donna's still kickin'.

Proof that their is no god.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is Bruce Hornsby the only surviving keyboard player to have played in the Dead? Pigpen's dead, Keith's dead, Tom Constanten's dead, Brent's dead, Vince's dead, I think Owsley even played organ for a little while, right? Not that he died young.

I thought forever that Keith was still alive. I feel really dumb.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I think TC is still alive.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Juaguocio posted:

I think TC is still alive.

poo poo, I just suck then.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Grateful Dead Thread - We don't know who's Dead in this thread.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I just found this thread and wanted to say thank you for starting it and I'm going to go back and read every post.

baby duck hat
Jan 29, 2005
baby duck hat
Wish I would've been old enough to catch them when they were still around and touring... :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:911: 45 Years Today. :911:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yes indeed. It's never a bad time to revisit the Live/Dead era.

I've nearly finished my journey through Europe '72- only three more Lyceum shows to listen to. I'll probably make a semi-effort post once I'm done, since I've been taking notes anyway.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

Yes indeed. It's never a bad time to revisit the Live/Dead era.

I've nearly finished my journey through Europe '72- only three more Lyceum shows to listen to. I'll probably make a semi-effort post once I'm done, since I've been taking notes anyway.

I eagerly await.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I really wish Europe '72 wasn't rife with overdubs. It makes it weird to listen to.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

OniKun posted:

I really wish Europe '72 wasn't rife with overdubs. It makes it weird to listen to.

Fortunately, the box set returns most songs to their live state, though there are still vocal overdubs on some of the tracks that were used on the album. The "Cumberland Blues" from 04/08, "Jack Straw" from 05/03 and "He's Gone" from 05/10 have apparently never been released with their original vocals. There's a great blog post about the overdubs here: http://deadessays.blogspot.ca/2014/01/the-europe-72-overdubs-guest-post.html

I listened to every second of every Europe '72 show over the last few months, and since I was taking notes anyway, I figured I'd make a post about my favorite shows and songs from the tour. This is my opinion, of course, and not any kind of definitive statement. I encourage you to check out the box set and pick out your own favorites.

Anyway, for all our muddy friends, the Grateful Dead! This was an interesting few months for the band. Keith joined at the end of '71, but '72 was the first time that Donna came on tour. She was obviously finding her place in the band throughout the Euro tour, but Keith was already killing it like he'd been playing with the Dead for years. You can already hear the band starting to explore the jazzy direction they would pursue throughout the 70s, especially on tunes like "Playing In The Band," which is beginning to morph into its uber-jam form. At the same time, this tour was Pigpen's last stand, and it's heartbreaking to hear him struggling at many of the shows. The old Pig still shows up from time to time, though, and it's fascinating to hear his funky, bluesy style mixing with the Dead's new jazzy proclivities. It would have been really interesting if they had continued to develop this sound, but with Pig's untimely passing, we're left only with "what might have been."

But enough about that- let's take a look at "what is":

Best Shows

April 8 - Empire Pool, London
After a lackluster opening night, the Dead brought the thunder for their second night at the future Wembley Arena. I've mentioned the "Dark Star->Sugar Magnolia->Caution" sequence in this thread before, and with good reason- the transitions are telepathically smooth, the drumming incredibly tight, the jams hot and delicious. "Cumberland Blues" appears on the Euro '72 album, and may be the best one ever, and "Looks Like Rain" is a great performance as well.

April 14 - Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen
The first concert in Denmark may be the most solid overall show of the tour. From the moment "Bertha" kicks in, you know the band was having a good night. The highlight for me is the "Good Lovin'->Caution->Good Lovin" sandwich, though the performance of "Good Lovin" from 05/04 is my favorite of the whole tour.

April 26 - Jahrhundert Halle, Frankfurt
Officially released as Hundred Year Hall, this show features one of the best "Playing In The Band" versions of the tour, as well as a great rendition of "The Other One->Comes A Time." The real kicker is the "Lovelight->GDTRFB" jam that closes out the show.

May 7 - Bickershaw Festival, Wigan
The Dead thrived in chaotic environments, and it's hard to imagine a more chaotic environment than Bickershaw. Poor planning meant that the cold, muddy, wet concertgoers resorted to setting huge fires to stay warm, and the band found themselves buffeted by hurricane-force winds from enormous kerosene heaters and surrounded by poorly aimed fireworks. In spite of all this madness, they delivered a killer set that includes my favorite Euro '72 "Playing," and the rarely seen "Dark Star->Other One" pairing. Veneta fans will love the banter and overall vibe. Including intermission and tuning breaks, the Dead were onstage for 5 hours that day.

May 26 - Lyceum Theatre, London
The tour's final night was one of its best. The album versions of "One More Saturday Night" and "Ramble On Rose" came from this show, and the "Truckin'->Epilogue->Prelude->Morning Dew" that fills sides 5 and 6 is actually an abbreviated version of a 71-minute sequence that also includes "The Other One" and "Sing Me Back Home." The end of the first set provides an amazing example of serendipity: after "China->Rider," the crowd starts clapping the Bo Diddley beat, and there's nothing the band can do but shrug and start "Not Fade Away."

Honorable Mentions

April 17 - Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen
The Dead returned to Tivoli a mere three days after they tore the house down on the 14th, and this time, the cameras were on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt67BUeQ1-Q There's not much footage of the Dead in the early 70's, so this concert is a real rarity. Bobby's TV related banter is hilarious.

May 3 - Olympia Theatre, Paris
The album versions of "China->Rider," "Tennessee Jed" and "Jack Straw" were all taken from this show, which also features a good Truckin'->Other One and a cool transition from "Sugar Magnolia" into "Not Fade Away."

May 11 - Grote Zaal de Doelen, Rotterdam
This show tops a lot of people's Euro lists. "Dark Star" is very spacy, and probably my second favorite of the tour after 04/08. "Morning Dew" may actually be a better performance than 05/26.

May 16 - La Grande Salle du Grande Theatre - Luxembourg
The Radio Luxembourg show seems to fly under the radar, but it's a very solid show from start to finish, with some amusing banter.

Worst shows? Honestly, there aren't any bad ones. The worst Europe '72 concert could easily be the best in one of the Dead's lesser years. Almost every show from the tour is interesting for one reason or another, and the only ones I would recommend for completionists only are the 04/16 Aarhus, 04/29 Hamburg and 05/18 Munich shows.

I've got favorite versions of just about every song the Dead played on the tour, but this post is already too long. I can make further comments if anyone is interested.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 22, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow great read! More content would really be appreciated.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Well, since you asked, here's my Europe '72 master playlist, in alphabetical order since I'm still working on the best mix. Altogether, it's nearly 7 hours of music.

"Deal" and "Dire Wolf" didn't make the cut, because I don't feel like the Dead delivered a strong performance of either song on this tour. I probably cut some other tunes that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Beat It On Down The Line: 05/11
Bertha: 04/14
Big Boss Man: 05/07
Big Railroad Blues: 04/17
Black Peter: 05/24
Black Throated Wind: 05/16
Brokedown Palace: 05/25
Brown Eyed Women: 05/25
Casey Jones: 04/24
Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks): 04/08
China->Rider: 05/03
Chinatown Shuffle: 05/23
Cold Rain And Snow: 04/17
Comes A Time: 04/26
Cumberland Blues: 04/08
Dark Star: 04/08
El Paso: 04/17
Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad: 04/26
Good Lovin: 05/04
Greatest Story Ever Told: 05/07
He's Gone: 05/10
Hurts Me Too: 04/14
Jack Straw: 05/03
Looks Like Rain: 04/08
Loser: 04/14
Me And Bobby McGee: 04/14
Me And My Uncle: 05/16
Mexicali Blues: 05/23
Morning Dew: 05/26
Mr. Charlie: 05/16
Next Time You See Me: 04/26
Not Fade Away: 05/03
One More Saturday Night: 04/08
The Other One: 05/26
Playing In The Band: 05/07
Promised Land: 05/16
Ramble On Rose: 05/26
Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu: 05/23
Sing Me Back Home: 05/26
The Stranger (Two Souls In Commmunion): 05/11
Sugaree: 05/26
Sugar Magnolia: 04/08
Tennessee Jed: 05/03
Truckin: 05/26
Turn On Your Lovelight: 04/26
Uncle John's Band: 05/04
You Win Again: 04/14

...and that's not including the banter and weird stuff between songs, like the Yellow Dog story and the band singing Happy Birthday to Billy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://archive.org/details/gd1968-10-12.sbd.miller.86759.sbeok.flac16

Todays listening for me. I wasn't taken aback by the start, but everything from the other one onwards was :tviv:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

LordPants posted:

Todays listening for me. I wasn't taken aback by the start, but everything from the other one onwards was :tviv:

Honestly 68 might be my favorite year. It's dumb to try to say any year is objectively better than another but I love the early experimental Dead and I'll never get enough The Eleven-> Death Don't Have no Mercy

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I got really frustrated with the difficulty in finding a specific dated show in Spotify, so I made this playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/7IiR8OB6QHGFav5FjTYYiu

If you open it up in the desktop app, you can just ctrl+f a certain date and listen to that show, provided it has received an official release and is on Spotify. For example, I'm listening to 4/14/72 right now.

The playlist is obviously tailored to my specific tastes, so it's almost all full shows (with a few exceptions) and there's no shows fromt the 80s or 90s. Just 68 - 79. Now that I look at it, this is pretty much every Dead show on Spotify in that range, so listen away and get groovy.

If anyone knows any particularly good shows from after the 70s, let me know and I'll add them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

I got really frustrated with the difficulty in finding a specific dated show in Spotify, so I made this playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/1212113832/playlist/7IiR8OB6QHGFav5FjTYYiu

If you open it up in the desktop app, you can just ctrl+f a certain date and listen to that show, provided it has received an official release and is on Spotify. For example, I'm listening to 4/14/72 right now.

The playlist is obviously tailored to my specific tastes, so it's almost all full shows (with a few exceptions) and there's no shows fromt the 80s or 90s. Just 68 - 79. Now that I look at it, this is pretty much every Dead show on Spotify in that range, so listen away and get groovy.

If anyone knows any particularly good shows from after the 70s, let me know and I'll add them.

Just off the top of my head I'm going to throw out 9-17-82:

Set 1
Bertha > Promised Land, Candyman > CC Rider, Althea, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Dupree's > It's All Over Now, West LA Fadeaway, Throwing Stones > Deal

Set 2
Touch of Grey > Women Are Smarter, High Time, Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > Drums > Space > Spanish Jam > The Other One> GDTRFB > Morning Dew > Sugar Magnolia

Encore
US Blues

It's the first Throwing Stones and Bobby has no idea how to end it. It just goes on, and on, and on. The rest of the show is solid though.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I had a hankering for some really vintage stuff after all this '68 talk, so I checked out 10/22/1967. There are a lot of sound and tuning issues, including an awful cut in "Lovelight," but the levels of psychedelic saturation are completely off the charts. Features the first complete "That's It For The Other One," with some different lyrics.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dave's Picks Vol. 10 Announcement

It's 12/12/69 in Los Angeles, full show. I'm really excited for this one.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

HollisBrown posted:

Proof that their is no god.

Before Dark Star Orchestra stole her guitarist when John joined Furthur, Donna and the Tricksters were really solid. You could close your eyes at a show and it sounded like being at a JGB gig in the 80s.

Speaking of Furthur, since there's no dates, Phil is mostly out east from what I've seen, and not being a big Ratdog fan, its gonna be wall to wall Panic gigs for the wife and I this summer. Not complaining at all. We've started talking about Furthur in the past tense, sadly. Is there any word they'll be back on tour in 2015?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Before Dark Star Orchestra stole her guitarist when John joined Furthur, Donna and the Tricksters were really solid. You could close your eyes at a show and it sounded like being at a JGB gig in the 80s.

Speaking of Furthur, since there's no dates, Phil is mostly out east from what I've seen, and not being a big Ratdog fan, its gonna be wall to wall Panic gigs for the wife and I this summer. Not complaining at all. We've started talking about Furthur in the past tense, sadly. Is there any word they'll be back on tour in 2015?

Only by firm assertion that Lesh wanting to take a road break doesn't mean the end of Furthur. Who knows, though. Both Phil and Friends and Ratdog are booked at Lock'n so that's probably the closest approximation in the near future.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMxHdcCL-0

I don't know if I've posted that before but that's a great documentary. :3:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Yiggy posted:

Both Phil and Friends and Ratdog are booked at Lock'n so that's probably the closest approximation in the near future.

FYI for anyone not keeping an eye on Lock'n, they announced an official Furthur show on their lineup, so if you absolutely need a 2014 fix and didn't make it to Mexico, this is your chance. The rest of the fest is shaping up to be pretty great and I've been a little surprised how much they've kept adding to the lineup after announcing the top of the card. Also, last year was awesome (other than the move in on the first day, but the rest of the event was so spotless that can be forgiven).

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Going thru my parent's record collection and found a "Best Of The Dead" record autographed by Bob Weir personalized to my dad when we was working at a radio station.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

HollisBrown posted:

Honestly 68 might be my favorite year. It's dumb to try to say any year is objectively better than another but I love the early experimental Dead and I'll never get enough The Eleven-> Death Don't Have no Mercy

January/February '68 has been blowing my mind lately. I checked out 1/22 last night, and wow, that Alligator! The Dead were playing afrobeat before anyone had even heard of Fela Kuti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5EZKvsmxsw

KDW
Dec 24, 2004
my title text
'68 has some stone cold shows. Like this Avalon Ballroom show without Pigpen.

No Lovelight, but the Dark Star is SAVAGE, all the playing is just ferocious. Weird to compare this to the tentative, spacey Dark Stars of the mid 70s--LSD zones vs cocaine zones.

KDW fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 16, 2014

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah, I've had 10/12 sitting around for a while, I really need to give it a whirl one of these days.

2/14/68 is another rip-roaring show. You can hear pieces of it on "Anthem," and it was also released in its complete form as Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 2.

The poster is an all-time classic:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Thanks to this thread I've been getting seriously into the Grateful Dead.

I hate you all, I'm insufferable to drive with because I want to listen to shows on the road, and I just bought a Garcia/Hunter songbook.

Blast Fantasto posted:

The first show in that playlist was played at a venue not ten minutes from my home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Would anyone be into a Summer '72 effort post? I've nearly finished with July, and August is up next.

The July 16th Dillon Stadium show isn't particularly well-played or recorded, but it features the most unheralded of the Dead/Allmans collaborations: Dickey, Berry and Jaimoe join the Dead for a neat NFA->GDTRFB->Bo Diddley jam at the end of the second set.