Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DJExile posted:

So here's a fun one, infomercial giant Kevin Trudeau is facing 10-25 years in federal prison for criminal contempt. He also hasn't paid any of his $37,000,000 fine the FTC hit him with a couple years ago.

Hasn't that shitbag been in prison like multiple times by now? I also thought he was banned from airing infomercials or something like that.

I love how in the age of the internet you can still make millions selling snake oil under the guise of A Secret Thing that Some Nebulous Group Is Trying To Hide From You Because Reasons.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Matthew Lesko is his prison guard, wacky Riddler jacket and all.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

raditts posted:

Hasn't that shitbag been in prison like multiple times by now? I also thought he was banned from airing infomercials or something like that.

I love how in the age of the internet you can still make millions selling snake oil under the guise of A Secret Thing that Some Nebulous Group Is Trying To Hide From You Because Reasons.

Hopefully he takes a cue from Don Lapre.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Radio ads always irritate me to a much greater degree than tv ever could. There is no visual part so they have to really slap you across the face with whatever awful point they are trying to make.

Doesn't really support the point I just made but "1-877- cars for kids K A R S cars for kids"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Brodie posted:

There is no visual part so they have to really slap you across the face with whatever awful point they are trying to make.

Case in point, Lysol has been running this ad on the radio recently...

"You come home from work and find your dog has let loose, REALLY loose, all over the living room, kitchen, dining room, hallway..."

Yes, good job lysol, you are LITERALLY associating your product with canine diarrhea.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

God that Extra gum commercial is sappy as gently caress. Is the father some kind of savant that communicates only through origami or something?

TontoCorazon fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 14, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

TontoCorazon posted:

God that Extra gum commercial is sappy as gently caress. Is the father some kind of savant that communicates only through origami or something?
I thought that was cute. You sound like you need a hug.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cage posted:

I thought that was cute. You sound like you need a hug.

You knew what I need? Origami cranes.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Brodie posted:

Doesn't really support thepoint I just made but "1-877- cars for kids K A R S cars for kids"

I think it supports it okay. They sing the same song 3 times. Once with the guy, once with the kid and then together. They might also have a narrator say the info in there as well somewhere.

I think the Lysol commercial with uncle Bob or whatever who used the guest bathroom might be worse than the dog one. "SNIFF SNIFF He says he just went number 1 SNIFF SNIFF but there is strong evidence SNIFF SNIFF of number two..."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

trunkwontopen posted:

Amplifying your message, McDonald's had a contest a looong time ago, featuring the whole "Two All Beef Patties Special, etc" song. A record came with a meal (yes, record) and it featured a chorus of sorts singing that song. If you had the record where they completed the song, you won the grand prize. I still remember that to this day. Anyone else?

Yep. Here's a flashback for those of us who remember hearing the chorus gently caress up and the guy telling us we didn't win the prize:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLKsbE5jw3o

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't hate it, but the anti-smoking commercial with the mini-bully completely misinterpreted my favorite part of when I used to smoke. Going out side was great! Smoking have me an excuse to go and enjoy nature for 10 minutes at random times.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

DJExile posted:

So here's a fun one, infomercial giant Kevin Trudeau is facing 10-25 years in federal prison for criminal contempt. He also hasn't paid any of his $37,000,000 fine the FTC hit him with a couple years ago.

:munch:

E:More on it here

He got 10 years in prison, and 5 years supervised release after prison.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/17/deceitful-to-the-very-core-tv-pitchman-kevin-trudeau-sentenced-to-10-years-in-prison/

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The Staples commercial with the doormat buying cleaning products because the guy across from him is sneezing liquid on him is pissing me off. No, just loving sit there and get sneezed on instead of telling tubby to go home or just leaving yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj6b5Jjh_gw

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Well since it's come on a dozen times during this first NCAA tournament game, I can safely say that the Hopper commercial with Rebel Wilson as a kangaroo is completely insufferable. What the gently caress is that accent!? And oh, office workers avoiding a boss while they goof around? How original.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The NCAA tournament is the loving worst for commercials because they have a limited number of sponsors and the foul timeout foul timeout poo poo at the end of games

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't hate it, but the anti-smoking commercial with the mini-bully completely misinterpreted my favorite part of when I used to smoke. Going out side was great! Smoking have me an excuse to go and enjoy nature for 10 minutes at random times.

Semi related, but where my dad works they give extra breaks for people who smoke to go have a smoke. This contributes to my dad not quitting smoking because otherwise he would get less breaks than those who are destroying their lungs. Makes me so :smith:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'm guessing you guys all live in temperate climates because when my state banned smoking in public buildings smokers were horrified because winters here average in the single digits in terms of temperature.

Couple that with the fact that the state-wide ban includes having to stand at least 15 feet away from the building when you smoke and I'm surprised nobody's died.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

I'm guessing you guys all live in temperate climates because when my state banned smoking in public buildings smokers were horrified because winters here average in the single digits in terms of temperature.

Couple that with the fact that the state-wide ban includes having to stand at least 15 feet away from the building when you smoke and I'm surprised nobody's died.

I live in Canada

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Suzuki Method posted:

I live in Canada

I think your father should probably consider a career change if he can stand outside in sub-zero temperatures and say "Yup, this is still better than working."

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

When I worked as a line cook I was drat happy when I got to have my fifteen in subzero temp in the back. Feels great :colbert:

Content, I just remembered that there was a line of Barbie commercials a few years ago that had the absolute worst jingle in the front. This shrill, horrible lady who should not be in voice acting screaming "I'M A BARBIE HORSE! I GOT MY OWN SHOWER OF COURSE!" It was the most half-assed rhyme and the syllables didn't even match and it was just :psyduck:

Ninja edit, I found the UK version of the commercial but it has a different voice actress so it isn't as scream-y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bWpXn7hBpE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

The problem with the 15 feet rule is that nobody enforces it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't think anyone can actually eyeball 15 feet in the first place

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What the gently caress was that M&M/Geico dual ad I just saw? Is this a thing now?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mahoning posted:

What the gently caress was that M&M/Geico dual ad I just saw? Is this a thing now?

Geico has been doing that for a while, putting commercials into their commercials.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I might be way behind the times on this one, but I saw it for the first time last night. Played about 8 times in the space of an hour so it burned into my brain. God this is the most awkward loving cringe worthy thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27gmzo6muOQ

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ApexAftermath posted:

I might be way behind the times on this one, but I saw it for the first time last night. Played about 8 times in the space of an hour so it burned into my brain. God this is the most awkward loving cringe worthy thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27gmzo6muOQ

Pete Carroll is gonna get laid!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Is the target audience for Ancestry.com really people half-watching reruns of poo poo on Comedy Central while they get ready for work in the morning?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

Is the target audience for Ancestry.com really people half-watching reruns of poo poo on Comedy Central while they get ready for work in the morning?

People trying to find out who is to blame for their miserable existence.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Well, Proactiv, X-Out, and Murad all seem to think that their target audience is people half-watching crappy movies on Comedy Central when they should be at work/school. Maybe the hip-yet-acne-ridden 18-35 demographic who are currently home sick also happen to start the day interested in their genealogy?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Geico has been doing that for a while, putting commercials into their commercials.

I remember about 15 years ago there was a hybrid Boeing-GE-FedEx-Red Lobster commercial that as glorious and I have never been able to find it. It didn't run very often and it was one of those odd commercials that only runs on like CNBC or during golf.

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSfV3ZDvadw

Try to make it through the 15 seconds this things plays daily around here. My cat literally hisses at the TV when this advert comes on. It is kind of funny.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tokelau All Star posted:

It works perfectly if you happen to be watching Key and Peele.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm watching TruTV because of the Tourney.

Holy hell, their shows are some of the worst I've ever seen.

South Beach Towing includes some large women screaming in the promos about "HEALTH CARE BEING FOR RICH PEOPLE" that seems like she'd be a walking, living "Right Wing Racist Facebook post"

Lizard Lick Towing? The hell.

Now they have a show called "Safe Crackers"

loving stop.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If it's on TruTV, it's 100% scripted and the "real people" are portrayed by actors and extras.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

can anyone help me find a commercial. Its for I think DirectTV its with this lady talking about how bad and confusing the DISH Hopper thing is and as shes babbling her husband just stands there the whole time with this giant :stare: face looking like an idiot. I tried googling directTV commercials but no luck.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm watching TruTV because of the Tourney.

Holy hell, their shows are some of the worst I've ever seen.

South Beach Towing includes some large women screaming in the promos about "HEALTH CARE BEING FOR RICH PEOPLE" that seems like she'd be a walking, living "Right Wing Racist Facebook post"

Lizard Lick Towing? The hell.

Now they have a show called "Safe Crackers"

loving stop.

One of those towing shows had a woman fall out of a three story parking garage and just get up and walk back in screaming how she was going to kick someones rear end.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Clamknuckle posted:

One of those towing shows had a woman fall out of a three story parking garage and just get up and walk back in screaming how she was going to kick someones rear end.

Yep. It was clip of the week on The Soup a couple months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1bc4kNLHI

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gonz posted:

Christ. First we have reality shows. Then we have fake, scripted "reality" shows. Now we have shows reporting on crazy happenings from fake reality shows.

Where is the apocalypse when you need it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Christ. First we have reality shows. Then we have fake, scripted "reality" shows. Now we have shows reporting on crazy happenings from fake reality shows.

Where is the apocalypse when you need it.

The Soup has been around (in some form) since 2004, the apocalypse has had plenty of time to come on down, I think it just doesn't mind it

(and The Soup is based off of Talk Soup, which started in 1991)

Vicas fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Gonz posted:

Oh jeeeeeezus. They are making her out to be some type of godlike creature. Wasn't one of the "highlights" of that show a few years back a clip of her ripping a car door right off it's frame?