Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

The Midniter posted:

Ever been behind one of those drivers whose speed fluctuates +/-10 mph for no good reason, so you go to pass them thinking they're on their phone or loving around with something or whatever, but...nope! They're looking straight ahead, hands at 10 and 2, focused intently on the road in front of them. It's almost worse that way. At least that would explain their senseless changes in speed.

Probably just never learned good throttle control and think any pressure = acceleration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Midniter posted:

Ever been behind one of those drivers whose speed fluctuates +/-10 mph for no good reason, so you go to pass them thinking they're on their phone or loving around with something or whatever, but...nope! They're looking straight ahead, hands at 10 and 2, focused intently on the road in front of them. It's almost worse that way. At least that would explain their senseless changes in speed.

It's very noticeable and frustrating when you're using cruise control.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

EightBit posted:

This is normal driving in a lifted Jeep as you turn into and out of the wind or go up and down hills :ohdear: I'm who you share the road with.

Hahaha I almost said the same thing. I can hold 75 pretty good, as long as it's flat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a long stretch of road I'll drive sometimes that's about 20 miles of rolling hills.. about half a mile up one hill, half a mile down the other side, and then it's another hill.

Rather than try to keep a constant speed I just park my foot at a set throttle and let gravity do what it will. I pick up a bunch of speed going downhill then it all bleeds off by the time I get to the top of the next one. Unless there's a really tall hill I almost always end up at the same speed I started at.

Probably sucks for whoever gets stuck behind me though.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Was waiting to make a right and saw a black Kia? With its hazards on looking like it had just rear ended something. As it passed in front of me the fender liner caught under the front wheel and ripped it self free right smack into the middle of the lane causing a blue z06 to swerve out of the way . No they didn't stop.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

The Midniter posted:

This is literally what I was taught to do by my driver's ed teacher(a persistently drunk/hungover baseball coach, go go Georgia public schools) when there are hills of any kind; speed up as much as you can on the downhill and then just lay off the gas and coast up the face of the next hill. It took me some years to break the habit of doing that subconsciously everywhere (grew up north of Atlanta and it's basically hills, hills, and more hills) so the behavior got reinforced like crazy)and I'm sure it infuriated the poo poo out of everybody driving behind me.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 21, 2014

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

xzzy posted:

Rather than try to keep a constant speed I just park my foot at a set throttle and let gravity do what it will. I pick up a bunch of speed going downhill then it all bleeds off by the time I get to the top of the next one. Unless there's a really tall hill I almost always end up at the same speed I started at.
I've heard that this is very nice to gas mileage. I do it when away from traffic sometimes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Kilersquirrel posted:

This is literally what I was taught to do by my driver's ed teacher(a persistently drunk/hungover baseball coach, go go Georgia public schools) when there are hills of any kind; speed up as much as you can on the downhill and then just lay off the gas and coast up the face of the next hill.

Well, this answers the question of "Which came first, the Prius, or the Prius driver?"

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Satellit3 posted:

I've heard that this is very nice to gas mileage. I do it when away from traffic sometimes.

*gas-sipper chat*

You know, I've actually gotten pretty decent mileage during my bi-monthly drives between L.A. and Las Vegas by maintaining speed and downshifting when going up hills. You raise the RPM of the engine, but you don't bury your foot into the pedal trying to maintain speed. Completely anecdotal, I know, but I've made that trip more than once on just over 6 gallons of gas. (~270 miles one-way. I average 30 mpg in stop and go traffic for reference.)

I'm the skinflint you share the road with.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bigman.50grand posted:

*gas-sipper chat*

You know, I've actually gotten pretty decent mileage during my bi-monthly drives between L.A. and Las Vegas by maintaining speed and downshifting when going up hills. You raise the RPM of the engine, but you don't bury your foot into the pedal trying to maintain speed. Completely anecdotal, I know, but I've made that trip more than once on just over 6 gallons of gas. (~270 miles one-way. I average 30 mpg in stop and go traffic for reference.)

I'm the skinflint you share the road with.

That sounds identical to our newer Cooper. Same for us when head to LA.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Midniter posted:

Breaking in a new motor, maybe? I was instructed to do this for the first 500 miles by the machine shop. I'm sure I was that guy everyone hated for awhile!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

xzzy posted:

There's a long stretch of road I'll drive sometimes that's about 20 miles of rolling hills.. about half a mile up one hill, half a mile down the other side, and then it's another hill.

This is one thing I don't miss about the old VW diesel pickup. Long trips consisted of merge at full throttle in 4th gear with foot on floor then when you arrived at your destination you could lift. Stupid thing was so gutless you just kept your foot on the floor all the time. 70+mph at the bottom of hills and 40mph at the top, worse if you had a full tank of gas or decided to haul something in the bed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

A bit off-topic, but as I'm pretty sure you're around Chicago somewhere, I need to ask where this road is. I loving hate driving up here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

A bit off-topic, but as I'm pretty sure you're around Chicago somewhere, I need to ask where this road is. I loving hate driving up here.

Out on the western edge of the state, we use it to get to a state park along the Mississippi. Pretty much any farm road west of route 23 has low rolling hills.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Raluek posted:

Breaking in a new motor, maybe? I was instructed to do this for the first 500 miles by the machine shop. I'm sure I was that guy everyone hated for awhile!

Nah. It's usually a 2007 Toyota Sienna, or a 2010 Honda Accord. Years-old people movers I notice doing this mostly.

And I'm with everyone else, if I'm going down a hill I let gravity do its thing, speed limits be damned (for the most part) and let the momentum bring me up the other side, but I make sure that by the time all the momentum speed has bled off, that I'm at least maintaining the speed limit.

One thing that gets my goat is people going down a hill riding the brakes. Just let gravity do its thing, mannnnnnnnnn.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Out on the western edge of the state, we use it to get to a state park along the Mississippi. Pretty much any farm road west of route 23 has low rolling hills.

Gotcha. There's tons of fun stuff down south (where I'm originally from), but I haven't made it west of Rockford up here.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The Midniter posted:

Nah. It's usually a 2007 Toyota Sienna, or a 2010 Honda Accord. Years-old people movers I notice doing this mostly.

And I'm with everyone else, if I'm going down a hill I let gravity do its thing, speed limits be damned (for the most part) and let the momentum bring me up the other side, but I make sure that by the time all the momentum speed has bled off, that I'm at least maintaining the speed limit.

One thing that gets my goat is people going down a hill riding the brakes. Just let gravity do its thing, mannnnnnnnnn.

Part of my commute is a mountain, I work on a plateau and live in the valley, and almost every day I get stuck behind somebody riding their brakes all the way down, trying to stay below 45mph (speed limit is 55) even though it's a pretty gentle slope with no sharp turns because I guess long hills are scary. It's so gentle at times that I usually have to apply throttle to maintain speed.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Some guy was a good 1.5 car lengths infront of the stop line at a left turn lane. It was one of those staggered dual left turn situations so he was basically right in the path of myself and other cars turning left across him.

Thankfully the car infront of me literally took the normal left-turn path and basically was bumper-to-bumper with the guy before laying on the horn, which I also did. Gotta call people out ya'll.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not the only one who thinks that if you are about to pull out onto a road into the path of a vehicle with the right of way then your options are to 1) wait a few seconds for them to pass or 2) hammer down and go faster than they were so as not to inconvenience them, right?

I keep having people pull out in front of me on rural 55mph roads causing me to have to apply a significant amount of braking force to not hit them and then being stuck behind them while they slowwwwwwly accelerate up to way below the limit for half a mile or so before they turn off. I don't understand being in such a hurry that you can’t wait a few seconds for cross traffic to pass but then not being in enough of a hurry to actually accelerate at a reasonable rate.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's what I think too, but apparently I'm the only one in this state.

Another of my favorites is dipshits whipping it out into the left lane in front of me, ostensibly to pass the person they were following before, and then forgetting what they were on about and just fumblefucking about in the left lane doing absolutely nothing with it while I mutter about never letting anyone out in front of me ever again.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Galler posted:

I'm not the only one who thinks that if you are about to pull out onto a road into the path of a vehicle with the right of way then your options are to 1) wait a few seconds for them to pass or 2) hammer down and go faster than they were so as not to inconvenience them, right?

I keep having people pull out in front of me on rural 55mph roads causing me to have to apply a significant amount of braking force to not hit them and then being stuck behind them while they slowwwwwwly accelerate up to way below the limit for half a mile or so before they turn off. I don't understand being in such a hurry that you can’t wait a few seconds for cross traffic to pass but then not being in enough of a hurry to actually accelerate at a reasonable rate.
I know how you can get them to speed up, if you're in a passing zone just move over and try to pass them. Only then will they hammer down. If its a two lane road and you move to the left lane they will also hammer down and stay even with you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's even worse when you're in a 100,000lb truck. I can't even count the number of times i've been doing 100kph, with nobody behind me for miles, and someone pulls out in front of me forcing me to brake down to 50kph or so, spending 2 minutes getting back up to 100kph, and then having to slam on the brakes again because they're taking their god drat time turning left off of the highway.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I am one of those inconsistent speed while driving properly types, and I'm sorry. I can't help it, I drive an Insight most of the time, so whenever I hit so much as a one degree incline no matter how hard I nail it I just can't not lose velocity. It's just so goddamn gutless. Good mileage though.

I have to say, I hate it when people blow past me at fifteen over just so they can get right in front of me, pull to an almost complete stop, and turn right within fifty feet when I'm literally the only other car on the road. Is waiting an extra ten seconds for me to roll past your turn just too much to bear?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

IronCastKnight posted:

I am one of those inconsistent speed while driving properly types, and I'm sorry. I can't help it, I drive an Insight most of the time, so whenever I hit so much as a one degree incline no matter how hard I nail it I just can't not lose velocity. It's just so goddamn gutless. Good mileage though.

I have to say, I hate it when people blow past me at fifteen over just so they can get right in front of me, pull to an almost complete stop, and turn right within fifty feet when I'm literally the only other car on the road. Is waiting an extra ten seconds for me to roll past your turn just too much to bear?

How do they know you aren't turning right as well?

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
That's a good question, actually. I would say "Because I'm not signalling", but considering that most people in these parts don't seem to be aware that cars actually come with turn signals, the idea that I might actually use these mysterious blinking taillights to communicate my intentions to the people behind me is probably entirely beyond them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress this self absorbed piece of crap.

Literally the busiest road in town.. major north/south corridor with all the shopping built up along it. It's pretty much stop and go traffic sunrise to sunset. Even better, it's under construction with lots of lane reductions.

So this fruitcake decided it was a smart idea to make a left turn right next to a merge so literally no one could get through. I stared at that scene for a full five minutes before special snowflake found a gap suitable to squeeze their dumb rear end through and allow traffic to resume.

If they'd just driven couple hundred yards and done a u-turn at the next light it would have saved everyone the pain.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

xzzy posted:

Literally the busiest road in town.. major north/south corridor with all the shopping built up along it. It's pretty much stop and go traffic sunrise to sunset. Even better, it's under construction with lots of lane reductions.

So this fruitcake decided it was a smart idea to make a left turn right next to a merge so literally no one could get through. I stared at that scene for a full five minutes before special snowflake found a gap suitable to squeeze their dumb rear end through and allow traffic to resume.

If they'd just driven couple hundred yards and done a u-turn at the next light it would have saved everyone the pain.

I've found that in situations like that, literally lying on the horn helps to embarrass a lot of drivers into taking action even if it's not where they wanted to go, just to stop your incessant blaring. It's not foolproof but it goes a long way.

I do always feel bad for the drivers in between the idiot cars and mine, since there's no way for me to let them know that it's not them I'm beeping at.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

IronCastKnight posted:

I don't think there's any need to apologize for this type of driving so long as we're all not doing it in the passing lane or passing others, moving back into their lane then slowing down forcing them to pass us again at each hill. It should be fine to fluctuate your mileage with hills as long as you're not disrupting the flow of traffic.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

It's even worse when you're in a 100,000lb truck. I can't even count the number of times i've been doing 100kph, with nobody behind me for miles, and someone pulls out in front of me forcing me to brake down to 50kph or so, spending 2 minutes getting back up to 100kph, and then having to slam on the brakes again because they're taking their god drat time turning left off of the highway.

sounds like you need to stick to 50kph :smug:

kastein posted:

fumblefucking

Stealing this. Thanks!

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Please reduce your side fumbling.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

Is that LaGrange Road? It looks very familiar to me.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
In my town there is a valley in the road. Enough that if you coast from either side you'll get to 15 over or so, then its back up hill. I think its the most popular place in town to get pulled over :smith:.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Galler posted:

If its clear for a pass I just smoke em while laying on the horn. I'm so sick of people doing this.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Measly Twerp posted:

Please reduce your side fumbling.

Literally couldn't make it through this. My poor head, it's like listening to a chatty Dutchman

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The original is both better and more AI.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

There is a motorway junction that is rather notorious in the south east of England in my town, namely Junction 10 on the M20.

Now the thing is with this junction is that if everyone went into the correct lanes and stayed there, there wouldn't be any issues at all. Everything is clearly marked, and there are crosshatches in the road to guide you into the lanes from the entry roads. Unfortunately, people do not use the correct lanes, and instead opt to try and cross three lanes of traffic to get to the exit road they wanted, thus causing mayhem (and the occasional collision) in the process. For example:

So what will often happen here is you will get someone in the rightmost lane (London M20) who suddenly realises they actually want to take the M20 down towards Dover, so will then attempt to cross two lanes over to the left to get into the lanes that will allow them onto the slip road. Now if the road is empty all the massive lane changing actually doesn't really affect anyone, but during rush hour when it is very heavy traffic everyone chopping and changing brings the whole junction to a stand still. To the point that it is actually faster to go around the town the long way than just cross one simple junction.

Which leads me to the next bit.

Here we have the A292, as you can see it has two lanes northbound, and normally during rush hour the leftmost lane is packed solid and moving much slower than the often empty right hand lane.

So you end up with a lot of very impatient people who decide they are fed up of waiting and decide to hop in the right hand lane and gun it, sailing past all the people queuing. Such brilliance you might think, after all, its not like there could possibly be a good reason as to why one lane is full and the other is empty right?

Oh.

Looks like the right lane was actually to get onto the slip road to join the M20, and not a way into town. So what you then get is a bunch of people trying to merge back into the left hand lane, which no one lets them do because they were assholes who tried to jump the queue in the first place, and then traffic starts to back up even more when the people who actually do want to get onto the motorway can't because of these idiots in the way.

Stay in your loving lanes people.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How much of that is actually painted onto your roads, and how much of that is from Google Maps? Those lane markings are so clear compared to what I usually see that I can't even tell if they are real.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The first car view is paint, the other two are from Google.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I decided that I'm through being in the future single lane and I will be that guy who cruises up the soon to close lane right up until the end.

What did it get me? Well I gained a lot of ground, and got in easily. Of course, while trying to start this maneuver, a Town Car merged from the closing lane to the other lane, then decided he didn't like that spot so well and was going back, while I had decided to start going around him. I was nearly crushed. He went about 3-4 more cars and got into the other lane, and I passed about 40 cars in the closing lane.

It was wonderful after my scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

InitialDave posted:

The first car view is paint, the other two are from Google.

Or to be more precise, the perpendicular text is physical, the blurry in-line-with-the-road text is the google overlay.