Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The whole point of the The Soup is to poo poo on all those shows. It's extra funny when people take it personally instead of laughing it off (Kris Kardashian made Joel McHale stop saying "Kim, who has a big rear end and a sex tape...", Steven Segal has refused multiple requests to come on the show).

Man, remember when it was called Court TV and was just a live feed of trials all day and then reruns of Homicide: Life on the Street?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ElwoodCuse posted:

The whole point of the The Soup is to poo poo on all those shows.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's why the name was changed from Talk Soup (which only covered daytime talk shows like Jerry Springer and Maury Povich) to just The Soup so it could be more vague in what it covers (dumbass :airquote:reality:airquote: TV shows).

I remember watching Talk Soup with Greg Kinnear back in the early 90s :corsair:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
"Weird Al" Yankovic was to make Talk Soup's theme song, but they never used it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555ndsDM2qo

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Vicas posted:

The Soup has been around (in some form) since 2004, the apocalypse has had plenty of time to come on down, I think it just doesn't mind it

(and The Soup is based off of Talk Soup, which started in 1991)

I miss Greg Kinnear doing Talk Soup.

I really miss Craig Kilborn doing The Daily Show.

Christ I feel old...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm watching TruTV because of the Tourney.

Holy hell, their shows are some of the worst I've ever seen.

South Beach Towing includes some large women screaming in the promos about "HEALTH CARE BEING FOR RICH PEOPLE" that seems like she'd be a walking, living "Right Wing Racist Facebook post"

Lizard Lick Towing? The hell.

Now they have a show called "Safe Crackers"

loving stop.

Speaking of lovely, content-free channels, it's been 6 months since Esquire replaced the Style Channel and probably over a year since G4 dumped all its programming in preparation for the replacement it never got.

Yet all I ever see passing G4 on my program guide is marathons of Web Soup, a show that relies on being topical that was cancelled 3 years ago, and Esquire seems to be running a marathon of something called "Friday Night Tykes." So, uh, good job on those two, NBC?

ElwoodCuse posted:

The whole point of the The Soup is to poo poo on all those shows. It's extra funny when people take it personally instead of laughing it off (Kris Kardashian made Joel McHale stop saying "Kim, who has a big rear end and a sex tape...", Steven Segal has refused multiple requests to come on the show).

I love how they still call Farrah Abraham "Backdoor Teen Mom Farrah Abraham."

DerekSmartymans posted:

I really miss Craig Kilborn doing The Daily Show.

Why the gently caress would you miss this?

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 22, 2014

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

raditts posted:

Why the gently caress would you miss this?

B/c CK was a thousand times funnier than Stewart. Stewart has better production values and better "reporters," which are the only thing worth watching anymore.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

raditts posted:

Speaking of lovely, content-free channels, it's been 6 months since Esquire replaced the Style Channel and probably over a year since G4 dumped all its programming in preparation for the replacement it never got.

Yet all I ever see passing G4 on my program guide is marathons of Web Soup, a show that relies on being topical that was cancelled 3 years ago, and Esquire seems to be running a marathon of something called "Friday Night Tykes." So, uh, good job on those two, NBC?

You still get G4? What obscure cable system do you have? I stopped getting it in December.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

You still get G4? What obscure cable system do you have? I stopped getting it in December.

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't like how my post was typed out.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 23, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I had it on Dish Network and didn't even realize it had been dropped.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Blue Ridge. I didn't know it had been dropped by most carriers, but I always wonder who these people are that just can't get enough of Web Soup reruns. Is it somehow still economically viable to keep the channel on the air?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

Blue Ridge. I didn't know it had been dropped by most carriers, but I always wonder who these people are that just can't get enough of Web Soup reruns. Is it somehow still economically viable to keep the channel on the air?

It probably costs more to actually take the channel down than it does to leave it up.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

muscles like this? posted:

It probably costs more to actually take the channel down than it does to leave it up.

You can also tell by how many ad slots are taken up shilling that channel's other shows. Some exposure is good, but when they play the same 3-4 promos every commercial break, that means nobody bought any other ads.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDGFnDKkSw

I saw this just now during an airing of "Harold and Kumar".

Was thinking

"It's an ad for jewelry or some gift to give your wife when you're away"

or something for like a charity for like vets or something.

Then it takes a hard right turn into rear end in a top hat territory.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

FuzzySkinner posted:

I saw this just now during an airing of "Harold and Kumar"; was thinking "It's an ad for jewelry or some gift to give your wife when you're away" or something for like a charity for like vets or something. Then it takes a hard right turn into rear end in a top hat territory.

Wow.

WOW.

:stare:

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

I always wonder what happens to people that play those types of commercials, if they get razzed by their friends. Like, they call her up and say "Hey, girl! What's buzzin'?" Or, like the one dude that played in an erectile dysfunction, Allstate (his car gets crushed by the tree branch), and Vonage (he steps off the train) commercial within the same year. I can't imagine what his friends/family do to poke fun at him.

gently caress, I pay too much attention to commercials; all the lovely ones that I wake up to (2-3pm) are all lawyer, scam college, and/or single mom commercials. I can't find the one mesothelioma commercial that says if you have died to call some lawyers firm.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 23, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDGFnDKkSw

I saw this just now during an airing of "Harold and Kumar".

Was thinking

"It's an ad for jewelry or some gift to give your wife when you're away"

or something for like a charity for like vets or something.

Then it takes a hard right turn into rear end in a top hat territory.

I can't be sure if I'm appalled that they're using such emotionally manipulative direction for a sex toy or find the whole thing hilarious as some sort of parody of those commercials.

I kept expecting to hear "Every kiss begins with Kay" at the end.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hey baby, I miss you so much while I'm away. Here's something to stimulate your clit while I'm gone.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Maybe it's cause I'm a woman, but it's seems a perfectly reasonable thing to give your SO if you're going to be gone a while. Or even just for the hell of it? I'd rather have a vibrator than another piece of jewelry if i wasn't going to be getting any for however long. I like that ad, it's cute. :shobon:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Nothing wrong with the gift itself but the only thing that bothers me is it jumps so fast from "aww kids" to "aww yeahhh", don't put kids in your vibrator ad.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
At least the dad made sure not to mix up the presents so the mom would end up a Skylander's game and the son with a Tickle-Me-Lovehole.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Another ridiculous product - the Mattress Wedge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5J-wePuqak

For as long as I've have a bed, I've never had this problem.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
are people unaware that you can push your mattress closer to your headboard/wall? like, that's a thing you can do people.

Though it marginally interests me because I have an outlet behind my behind I use to charge my phone, so I have to keep some distance to keep from loving with that, but I accomplished the same task but putting an old pillow between my bed and the wall.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Cage posted:

Nothing wrong with the gift itself but the only thing that bothers me is it jumps so fast from "aww kids" to "aww yeahhh", don't put kids in your vibrator ad.

Pretty much this right here

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

are people unaware that you can push your mattress closer to your headboard/wall? like, that's a thing you can do people.

Depending on the bed frame you can only get it so close, my kid's bed has a gap where he loses his pillows all the time. So I don't think this product is entirely retarded, but I can't imagine it ever being such a problem that I'd buy a foam wedge off TV to solve it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hey baby, I miss you so much while I'm away. Here's something to stimulate your clit while I'm gone.

This is kind of what Trojan does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27gmzo6muOQ

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I actually thought the vibrater one was good, because the joke is the juxtaposition and it's not like the kid knows anything about the vibrator. Your parents had sex down the hall from you when you were a kid, you prudish loving goons.

This is loving weird tho.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's better than her going to his best friend Steve.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Getting tired of the Nissan ad with the guy counting down "5..4..3..2..1..Oh Yeah!". It would be a forgettable commercial if it wasn't for the fact it plays every other commercial break...TWICE in the same 2 minute ad block.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rirse posted:

Getting tired of the Nissan ad with the guy counting down "5..4..3..2..1..Oh Yeah!". It would be a forgettable commercial if it wasn't for the fact it plays every other commercial break...TWICE in the same 2 minute ad block.

The guy in that commercial is distractingly ugly, too.

I'm surprised nobody has posted this Dove Chocolate commercial that strings up Audrey Hepburn's corpse yet. This is a part of the uncanny valley that hasn't bothered me this much since those popcorn commercials with zombie Orville Redenbacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9eDoS76LM

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

I'm surprised nobody has posted this Dove Chocolate commercial that strings up Audrey Hepburn's corpse yet. This is a part of the uncanny valley that hasn't bothered me this much since those popcorn commercials with zombie Orville Redenbacher.

The weird thing about that commercial is that EVERYBODY in it looks fake as hell.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

raditts posted:

I can't complain that much about it. My love for Audrey Hepburn overrules any weirdness coming from that commercial.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
There's a new one of those gross smoker buying cigarettes spots. But it's a black guy buying menthols and that strikes me as just a wee bit racist. :stare:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

muscles like this? posted:

The weird thing about that commercial is that EVERYBODY in it looks fake as hell.

Yeah when the random dude pulls up he somehow looks even more fake than Audrey and suddenly you realize the pod people have taken over

(Galaxy owns though)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

raditts posted:

So its like that perfume commercial where they basically reanimated Marilyn Monroe to use her likeness.

How do they even go about accomplishing that? I don't think CGI has gotten to the point where you can perfectly recreate a person's likeness and have it look so... naturally unnatural.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

raditts posted:

The only thing that bothers me about it is that they really force Virtual Audrey into interacting with people, which I think makes the whole uncanny feeling worse. Also, Virtual Audrey flirts with everyone but gets in the back seat of that guy's car?

The CGI work actually looks pretty top notch, except the last shot of her.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Young Freud posted:

The only thing that bothers me about it is that they really force Virtual Audrey into interacting with people, which I think makes the whole uncanny feeling worse. Also, Virtual Audrey flirts with everyone but gets in the back seat of that guy's car?

The CGI work actually looks pretty top notch, except the last shot of her.

Graphically it looks nice, it's just that they still apparently haven't gotten the animation down to where people don't look like mannequins given life. Then there's the shots of just the hands with the chocolate, it's like they got a whole different group of people to do those.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So its like that perfume commercial where they basically reanimated Marilyn Monroe to use her likeness.

It's not nearly as terrible as that perfume commercial Marilyn Monroe though, I'll give you that. My mind had actually blocked that one out.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

How do they even go about accomplishing that? I don't think CGI has gotten to the point where you can perfectly recreate a person's likeness and have it look so... naturally unnatural.

It most certainly has

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

raditts posted:

We discussed this briefly in the Food Network thread too. It's so bizarre. Right now they are showing X-Play. I put it on and they are showing a PREVIEW of a game that came out over a year ago that they are describing as coming out 'next year'. Oh and advertising their coverage of ComicCon 2012. Who is the audience for that?

The only things they show of any potential value that I can see are Cops, Heroes and Lost reruns. I guess there are enough people who will flick through the channels, find those and stop and watch.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I still think the most unrealistic commercials are the ones for paper towels or other cleaning supplies where the kids spill something or make a huge mess on purpose and the mom just smiles and happily starts cleaning.

We were all kids at one time and we all know that is not how that scenario would play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Vakal posted:

I still think the most unrealistic commercials are the ones for paper towels or other cleaning supplies where the kids spill something or make a huge mess on purpose and the mom just smiles and happily starts cleaning.

We were all kids at one time and we all know that is not how that scenario would play out.

Like the one with the cake batter or whatever, where the dad moves everything out of the way of the splash-pocolypse he knows is coming?

Yup, I feel you.

LeJackal posted:

Oh yeah, and this commercial for Bounty really pisses me off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQVXPdNHzY

This father knows that his little daughter is going to gently caress up this mixer operation from the get-go. We know that because he's all "Oh poo poo get back to a safe distance, baby! Move the computer!" Yet, despite knowing that his daughter is going to spew batter all over the walls and ceiling he just allows it to happen. You're a loving parent! Teach her how to do it properly or don't let her use the loving mixer! Involve her in a less messy part of this baking operation!

I made cookies with my niece and nephew of 3 and 7 years old over the Thanksgiving holiday and they didn't make as big a mess because I did my goddamn supervisory job.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 24, 2014