Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

When did you become a jozy knocker?

I love Jozy and have a strange attraction to him for various reasons, I think deep down I really want to believe he's not just a big paceless lump who cant control the ball to save his life, but its getting hard to defend him with April around the corner and just 1 (one) goal still to his name (albeit a great one against probable title winners Chelsea and skinning big JT like he did). Now I do try and watch him week in, week out, and he just continues to amble around upfront finding literally no space. His positioning is dogshit given he's a lone striker who's known 'strength' is being able to hold up the ball. Its a given that the system as it was today makes it more difficult, but he doesnt go looking for the ball nearly enough, or seem to have any foresight and ability in and around the box which sort of exemplifies his bad positioning once again, as he always finds himself yards from loose balls and never any where near where his attacking teamates seem to want/expect him to be.

The commentators were comparing him to Ricky van Wolfswinkel who banged in 25+ in the Eredivisie and the Primeira Liga over a few season, and seems similiary useless in a pretty average PL side, so he's not alone I guess. I should do a Ricky goal montage and see if the vast majority of his goals were in and around the box against teams who defend like this

Regardless I really want to see the day when he will do something magic and have his day in the sun, hopefully for a season in the EPL (or in a world cup against a team likely to do well). He had a decent game away against Newcastle this season, and you look at some of his goals...and theres something in his locker other than luck and really bad defending...probably. Idk I just dont want to see the Jozy haters proved right, this love affair with US bandwagoners who seem to be putting the blame squarely at Sunderland is way too funny and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

cadfael posted:

I love Jozy and have a strange attraction to him for various reasons

I can think of one.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
The difference between Jozy and RVW is that Ricky at least is putting the effort in, similarly Elmander today who's been fairly shite all season completely outshone Jozy today and he's old and on loan so you'd forgive him for not really giving a poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When people were talking about shite premier league strikers I felt like including Cisse since he was absolute poo poo everywhere on the pitch but amazingly once he put some effort in he got a goal. There is a valuable lesson here for Jozy

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Blue Screen Error posted:

The difference between Jozy and RVW is that Ricky at least is putting the effort in, similarly Elmander today who's been fairly shite all season completely outshone Jozy today and he's old and on loan so you'd forgive him for not really giving a poo poo.

Yeah I mean he fluffed that chance today when he should of scored, but I cant recall Jozy having a chance like that, sprinting into the box and getting into just the right position.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

Elmander gets a free pass for life for that one goal

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Jozy is a oval office.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Any good thinkpieces on Jozy recently?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jyrka posted:

Any good thinkpieces on Jozy recently?

I think that Jozy is a piece of poo poo, does that count?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I watched 22 MLS cloggers (including an uninterested Nigel Reo-Coker) stumble and push around a ball on a plastic pitch this afternoon and every single one of them had a better first touch than Jozy.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Gigi Galli posted:

I watched 22 MLS cloggers (including an uninterested Nigel Reo-Coker) stumble and push around a ball on a plastic pitch this afternoon and every single one of them had a better first touch than Jozy.

Lmao when MLS players have a better first touch than you...

Might as well just first time everything at that point. Cisse for example looked way more dangerous when he just first times things than when he took a touch and shot.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Kenwyne Jones has scored 40 goals in 190 Premier League appearances.

Jozy Altidore has scored 2 goals in 53 Premier League appearances.

Kenwyne Jones would have to continue playing, completely scoreless, for more than 22 full Premier League seasons to be as poo poo as Jozy Altidore.

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
This was the first day I've watched Jozy play all season to be honest. The first thing I was thinking was "Is his chest made of iron? Why's he got just balls flying all over the place like that? Is something wrong with him?" I was relieved to see everyone mention that in the thread. I thought it was just me.

Then, the more I watched him appear and disappear on the side of the screen, making little cameos like he's checking to see if the game is still going on I just said "Man, he's really as terrible as I feared."

That being said, the whole team is crap. It's a team full of Jozy's. And to my fellow USMNT fans, that doesn't make him any better.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
tbp, I see that the chart has made an appearance at Soccer By Ives, nice to see your efforts being appreciated elsewhere

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

trem_two posted:

tbp, I see that the chart has made an appearance at Soccer By Ives, nice to see your efforts being appreciated elsewhere

What's this

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

trem_two posted:

Lol you read soccer by ives

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Lol you read soccer by ives

The comments are worse than Big Soccer actually, it's fascinating

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Jozy won't even score double digit goals when he comes back to MLS. He barely scored when he was in MLS and the league is better than it was way back then.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

80085 posted:

Jozy won't even score double digit goals when he comes back to MLS. He barely scored when he was in MLS and the league is better than it was way back then.

Its actually worse but yeah Jozy blows

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jozy is going to Brazil.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

vaginal culture posted:

Its actually worse

Hmmm don't see the point of lying in a thread about honesty

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

80085 posted:

Hmmm don't see the point of lying in a thread about honesty

MLS is far worse now than it was then. It has like double the teams. Absolute trash.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

vaginal culture posted:

MLS is far worse now than it was then. It has like double the teams. Absolute trash.

Nah MLS is a top 5 league in the world now and Jozy will probably score around 3-5 goals when he goes there.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
mls is not a top 5 league

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Alright we'll just have to settle on 6th best league I'm ok with that compromise

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

80085 posted:

Nah MLS is a top 5 league in the world now and Jozy will probably score around 3-5 goals when he goes there.

80085 posted:

Alright we'll just have to settle on 6th best league I'm ok with that compromise

Wait, you're actually serious?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

80085 posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo. Please tell me you are trying to troll us because this dumb on an astronomical level. The J. League is better than MLS ffs and they even are a proper league not some communist fairy land league like Oz, Ireland and the US.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I would call the MLS an elite quarterback.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo. Please tell me you are trying to troll us because this dumb on an astronomical level. The J. League is better than MLS ffs and they even are a proper league not some communist fairy land league like Oz, Ireland and the US.

He's kidding

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Can smoeone link me to my chart on this other website i love when poo poo like that happens especially when some japanese website picked up my 3 minute video called The Terrance Saga Movie which is on youtube and is a production by tbp entertainment of which i am the chairman.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
drat you guys get really emotional about mls sorry about my joke

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

80085 posted:

Lol I deff overreacted. :blush:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

80085 posted:

It's been an emotional day, what with Jozy's publicist and that fat guy with the scarves

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

This is only true in like Oz, the US and Canada tbf

This isn't true at all about Australia!

Also I don't understand how anyone thought that

80085 posted:

was a serious post

and I don't understand how American Jozy fans try to make it sound like Jozy is a good player because he's a striker who has "hasn't touched the ball once within ten yards of the box" and this somehow means he's not loving awful?

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Man you just get me

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The MLS is the best league...for me to poop on.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'd like to read some bigsoccer posts about where the MLS falls in terms of the best leagues and what leagues MLS is better than but there's no way in hell I'm going to actually read bigsoccer, can someone do me a solid and dig up some funny ones or something

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
I started watching MLS when I was on a hillside in Uganda about 5 years ago and somehow was getting wifi in my stinking, rotting, bat filled cave of an office... seriously. I don't know why. I was pretty bored I guess or I was just curious. And when I got home a few months later I started attending New York matches.

The league is poo poo, really it is. The salary caps will keep it poo poo for a while. But I think as long as the fans know where they stand in the world, it's okay to like lovely teams if that's where you live or whatever.

However, it is better than when I first started watching. It's better than when Jozy was last there. Jozy will not score his brain-busting fifteen (15) goals like he did last time. And I actually listen to the podcasts on mlssoccer.com from time to time. They rate us below Mexico actually. And to, I think, MLS higher-ups they are just trying to catch up with Mexico first, even though long-term they do want to be in the top 5.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

red_blip posted:

I started watching MLS when I was on a hillside in Uganda about 5 years ago and somehow was getting wifi in my stinking, rotting, bat filled cave of an office... seriously. I don't know why. I was pretty bored I guess or I was just curious. And when I got home a few months later I started attending New York matches.

The league is poo poo, really it is. The salary caps will keep it poo poo for a while. But I think as long as the fans know where they stand in the world, it's okay to like lovely teams if that's where you live or whatever.

However, it is better than when I first started watching. It's better than when Jozy was last there. Jozy will not score his brain-busting fifteen (15) goals like he did last time. And I actually listen to the podcasts on mlssoccer.com from time to time. They rate us below Mexico actually. And to, I think, MLS higher-ups they are just trying to catch up with Mexico first, even though long-term they do want to be in the top 5.

Jozy is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Could Jozy score in other European leagues that people say are competitive and good but are in fact bad, such as Russia,Greece or Scotland?

• Locked thread