Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How much of that is actually painted onto your roads, and how much of that is from Google Maps? Those lane markings are so clear compared to what I usually see that I can't even tell if they are real.

You're going to have to show images of what sort of road markings you normally see where you are, because I can't imagine road markings so terrible that it would cause such trouble distinguishing between road paint and Google overlay. :psyduck: As other posters have already said though, the "Hythe Road" text in the second image, and the "A292" text in the third and fourth images are overlaid by Google, all other markings and text are actually painted on the road.

Also, because we in Great Britain love our roundabouts so goddamn much, here's another one the other side of town which also can be quite a nightmare at rush hour.

Same thing, all the lanes are clearly marked with destinations, road numbers and arrows and poo poo, there are crosshatches to guide you in, and people still try to force their way into the lane they really want because they didn't pay attention to the dozens of signs and road markings until the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

StormDrain posted:

I decided that I'm through being in the future single lane and I will be that guy who cruises up the soon to close lane right up until the end.

Me too, there are two spots on my once-a-week commute home from my daughter's school that are particularly free while the rest of the road is tied up. Both are where the freeway just drops a lane. One gives a warning that the lane ends in half a mile, and yet for some reason most people during rush hour just get over at that sign, leaving a completely empty lane for half a mile with traffic stopped in the next one.

The other is a 5 mile stretch of freeway that is 3 lanes, and then the right lane exits making the freeway two lanes. People jam up the two left lanes for at least 2 of the 5 miles, sometimes 3. I've decided that I'll take the empty right lane and if there's nowhere for me to politely and safely merge then I'll take the exit, but I've never had to. By the time you get to the exit, traffic is speeding up and there are plenty of gaps to merge into without even slowing anything down.

Highway dynamics are strange.

For Denver drivers: I'm talking about westbound where 70 and 76 merge, and southbound 470 between Golden and Morrison.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I looked up the roads in my town on Google Maps and can only conclude that they ARE enhancing the road markings somehow. It shows crisp, clear arrows indicating which lanes are turn lanes on roads where the paint has been 100% worn away for 10+ years.

In real life, the yellow lines are just barely visible and everything in white simply does not exist. I especially like the straight/left arrows on the lane where straight or left are the only two possibilities.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 23, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
it's probably a byproduct of their driverless car stuff.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I looked up the roads in my town on Google Maps and can only conclude that they ARE enhancing the road markings somehow. It shows crisp, clear arrows indicating which lanes are turn lanes on roads where the paint has been 100% worn away for 10+ years.

In real life, the yellow lines are just barely visible and everything in white simply does not exist. I especially like the straight/left arrows on the lane where straight or left are the only two possibilities.

I'd say its more likely because these photos are a few years old and the paintwork has degraded since then.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

I know it's probably for maintenance access or emergency vehicle access but I 'd like to think that enough people have said "gently caress this roundabout." to cause the ruts in the grass.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

LloydDobler posted:

For Denver drivers: I'm talking about westbound where 70 and 76 merge, and southbound 470 between Golden and Morrison.

Denver area drivers are weird. I drive 36 from Broomfield to Boulder for my commute. At the onramp from Foothills to 36 east in Boulder there is a 1/2 mile lane that allows drivers to get on the highway and then have time to easily merge onto the travel lanes. So many people try to immediately jam themselves into the travel lane instead of using the merge lane to pick up speed causing the highway to come to a full stop. Get up to speed people!!

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Wiggly posted:

Denver area drivers are weird. I drive 36 from Broomfield to Boulder for my commute. At the onramp from Foothills to 36 east in Boulder there is a 1/2 mile lane that allows drivers to get on the highway and then have time to easily merge onto the travel lanes. So many people try to immediately jam themselves into the travel lane instead of using the merge lane to pick up speed causing the highway to come to a full stop. Get up to speed people!!

No one gets up to speed around here. For that particular on ramp, I try passing any traffic and getting up to speed in the two lane bend before you get next to 36 otherwise you get stuck behind traffic doing 30 merging into a 65 zone.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
At the store, this lady pulls up in front of me as I am leaving with a cart full of groceries. I wait for her to move or to drop people off so I can roll the cart down the slope instead of off an edge. She seems to understand and backs up a little bit to let me pass. I put the groceries in the car and look back up to return the cart and I see this.

Yeah, that is the entrance to the store. She pulled on the sidewalk and parked for a few minutes before someone got out of the car. Then she went to find a parking spot.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Saw an 8 car pileup on my way to work Friday.

Lady mistook an unprotected left for a protected one at a busy 5 lane intersection. The speed limit is 45, and it's a traffic dense area. She got creamed by two cars that she cut off; those three cars spun out and took out two cars in opposing traffic and 3 cars waiting at the red light.

It looked like a demolition derby.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Jebus posted:

At the store, this lady pulls up in front of me as I am leaving with a cart full of groceries. I wait for her to move or to drop people off so I can roll the cart down the slope instead of off an edge. She seems to understand and backs up a little bit to let me pass. I put the groceries in the car and look back up to return the cart and I see this.

Yeah, that is the entrance to the store. She pulled on the sidewalk and parked for a few minutes before someone got out of the car. Then she went to find a parking spot.

Eastern european spotted.

The general rule in kiev is that if there's a space big enough between planters and such on the sidewalk to get a car through, it's a parking spot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Attention idiot drivers: school zones only apply on school days. Spring break is not a school day. I don't have kids, and I still know this because I'm not a shut-in. If I didn't, for whatever reason, I could visually confirm that school is not in session because the flag is not raised. As it's not a school day, it would be greatly appreciated if you went 50 km/h instead of 25 km/h. This also applies during weekends, stat holidays, and those other break periods we know as "winter" and "summer" vacation (so named as they are located, respectively, in those seasons, for your future reference).

Thanks,

The rest of the driving public

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love going exactly the speed limit in the playground zone to watch the self aggrandizing pricks in my rear view mirror spontaneously disassemble.

Also, I didn't realize it was spring break and I went the school zone speed limit today. So did everyone else in the zone with me this morning.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 25, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also, I didn't realize it was spring break and I went the school zone speed limit today. So did everyone else in the zone with me this morning.

I'm firmly of the opinion that I follow school zone speed limits any time the signs are on, whether school is in session or not. Its an easy ticket for any law enforcement in the area and most state laws are vague at best about how school zone laws apply on off days and/or how they apply in the face of a malfunctioning sign. Hell, under my state's revised code...

Ohio Revised Code 4511.21 posted:

Nothing in this section or in the manual and specifications for a uniform system of traffic control devices shall be construed to require school zones to be indicated by signs equipped with flashing or other lights, or giving other special notice of the hours in which the school zone speed limit is in effect.

...there isn't any standardization of school zone signs, nor are they required to indicate when the school zone limits are enforced with by publishing the restricted speed limit time periods or equipping the signs with flashing lights, meaning enforcement is subjectively left up to law enforcement and the traffic court system.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
On Saturday morning I was following an Aveo from in town out to the highway . The speed limit slowly ramps up over this distance from 25 (the in town speed limit) to 35 for a mile or so, then 45 for a couple of miles, then 55 for a couple of miles, and then finally 60 when you're on the highway proper. This Aveo (who's hatch is completely occluded with *stuff* so that they can't see out the window) decides to drive at 20 miles per hour all the way until the 55 zone, and then go all the way up to 35. All this time I could pass due to oncoming traffic, but when we get to the highway, I have my chance. But when I go to pass, the Aveo unexpectedly speeds up to 70 as I'm in the other lane and next to them. I get up to 80 to finish the pass maneuver and pull back into the lane, when I'm pulled over by the state trooper who was coming the opposite direction.

I didn't get a ticket or anything, and did explain why I passed when he asked ("but he was going 70, what kind of hurry were you in?" says the cop), but oh my goodness does that kind of behavior infuriate me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Had the pleasure of following an idiot down a long downhill onramp to only hit 50mph onto the freeway.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 24, 2014

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chinatown posted:

Had the pleasure of following an idiot down a long downhill onramp to only hit 50mph onto the freeway.

So you were behind my mother?

Edit* No, couldn't have been. She is deathly afraid of freeways.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I had the pleasure of nearly rear-ending a brand new CR-V today when the driver was too afraid to merge properly onto a highway (he was accelerating normally until he got to the merge point and slammed on his brakes). The same idiot tried to block me from exiting ten minutes later by accelerating onto the exit ramp as I moved over with my blinker going. I was halfway into the exit lane when he pulled that stunt. My inner child wanted to give him the same brake treatment he gave me and leave a nice 2" square hole in his hood where he would have hit my hitch receiver, but the more grown part of me just flipped him the bird and let off the gas since I had to slow down to non-highway speeds anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that I follow school zone speed limits any time the signs are on, whether school is in session or not.

It's always fun when the signs are flashing on, say, a weekend. Or snow day.

Or when they're flashing from 7p-8:30p, followed by 3a-4a, like the one down the street from the house (it's been doing this since the change to DST). :fuckoff:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Geoj posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that I follow school zone speed limits any time the signs are on, whether school is in session or not. Its an easy ticket for any law enforcement in the area and most state laws are vague at best about how school zone laws apply on off days and/or how they apply in the face of a malfunctioning sign. Hell, under my state's revised code...

...there isn't any standardization of school zone signs, nor are they required to indicate when the school zone limits are enforced with by publishing the restricted speed limit time periods or equipping the signs with flashing lights, meaning enforcement is subjectively left up to law enforcement and the traffic court system.

In the UK we get poo poo like this, which probably isn't a change to the speed limit or anything other than a meaningless piece of roadside clutter, as it doesn't conform with the government sign regs (it's not in a red circle).

From DfT Know Your Road Signs .pdf

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

On Saturday morning I was following an Aveo from in town out to the highway . The speed limit slowly ramps up over this distance from 25 (the in town speed limit) to 35 for a mile or so, then 45 for a couple of miles, then 55 for a couple of miles, and then finally 60 when you're on the highway proper. This Aveo (who's hatch is completely occluded with *stuff* so that they can't see out the window) decides to drive at 20 miles per hour all the way until the 55 zone, and then go all the way up to 35. All this time I could pass due to oncoming traffic, but when we get to the highway, I have my chance. But when I go to pass, the Aveo unexpectedly speeds up to 70 as I'm in the other lane and next to them. I get up to 80 to finish the pass maneuver and pull back into the lane, when I'm pulled over by the state trooper who was coming the opposite direction.

I didn't get a ticket or anything, and did explain why I passed when he asked ("but he was going 70, what kind of hurry were you in?" says the cop), but oh my goodness does that kind of behavior infuriate me.

I did basically the same thing except with a lovely old Sentra, and I got a ticket. Was late for a concert in MA when I got pulled over on I-89 south somewhere near Barre. Cop said it didn't matter that the lady was driving infuriatingly slow, and that he didn't want to make the call to our parents that we crashed and died.
I'm still trying to figure out why he thought I was going to die passing someone at 69 in a 55, or why he thought calling my parents would threaten me (all occupants were over 21). Yes I was speeding I got that part, but we were on the highway at 2pm in dry conditions. He could have just told me to slow down or something, not that I was going to die.

SierraEchoBravo fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 25, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I saw the craziest thing yesterday here in WA. I'm in the HOV lane, and this large Suburban with CA plates is coming up in the passing lane at speed. After giving enough room to clear the bus to his right, he signals clearly and proceeds to leave the passing lane back into a traveling lane, leaving the left most lane clear for others who needed to pass.

I wanted to give that man a cookie.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I nearly ran over a kid yesterday. I was turning right at an intersection and a couple was crossing from the opposite side. They were walking at a leisurely pace, so there was plenty of time for me to complete my turn. But then their little kid (4-5 years old maybe) came running out from behind them. Luckily, I missed her by maybe half a metre or so.

They got really pissed off and started yelling and screaming bloody murder at me for nearly hitting their kid.

Goddammit people, your kids are your responsibility. Teach them some goddamn traffic manners and hold their hand while crossing the road.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 25, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand, if pedestrians are actually in the crosswalk, you don't drive through it. That's just the way it works.

Especially if they have a signal telling them to walk and you have a red light. Even if you have a green it's better to just wait.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

On the other hand, if pedestrians are actually in the crosswalk, you don't drive through it. That's just the way it works.

Especially if they have a signal telling them to walk and you have a red light. Even if you have a green it's better to just wait.
And in California, at least, it's the law. You don't enter a crosswalk while a pedestrian is in it.

Edit: actually, according to some blog posts, this has been dropped from California law, and I can't find the vehicle code for it. Interesting.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 25, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't think he is in a county that values human life over traffic inconvenience. He could have probably blasted that kid into the great beyond and sued the parents for denting his car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

I don't think he is in a county that values human life over traffic inconvenience. He could have probably blasted that kid into the great beyond and sued the parents for denting his car.

Mine says that pedestrians always have the right of way. If I blast a jaywalker it's my fault, unless "they were asking for it" (determined by the police) in which case the jaywalker gets a ticket.

I got a ticket for getting run over in a marked crosswalk by a grandmother in a Reliant who knew how to use her horn but not her brakes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Pedestrians have the right of way in a crossing here, but luckily they never use them! I don't blame them, when I use crossings no one ever stops, so why walk to the end of the block to cross the street?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pedestrians obviously have the right of way in crosswalks here, but you only have to yield to them if it's actually necessary to yield. For instance, if a pedestrian is all the way on the other side of a wide road and only just starting to cross and you're relatively close to the crosswalk, you don't have to stop. The reasoning is that stopping would interfere more with traffic behind you, for no actual benefit to the pedestrian.

In this case, the road was reasonably wide and they were walking slowly, so I had plenty of time to make my right turn, if it hadn't been for their kid suddenly starting to run.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
They had a problem with cars and the crosswalks at the old downtown square here in Bowling Green. It's a historic area with a lot of bars. Mix that with being in a college town and you can imagine the kind of problems that arise. To fix it, the crosswalk now has signs that light up and lights throughout the road itself so people know when it's safe to cross.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The problem with crosswalks that have the button activated lights is that most people are idiots and don't press the button.

I have almost mowed down a couple of people at night who just walk into the crosswalk without looking. It pisses me off to no end.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

The problem with crosswalks that have the button activated lights is that most people are idiots and don't press the button.

I have almost mowed down a couple of people at night who just walk into the crosswalk without looking. It pisses me off to no end.

Yesterday I stopped for a guy who was stepping off the crosswalk without hitting the button. Then I almost got rear-ended because the inbred behind me couldn't figure out that I had come to a full stop in the six blocks he had to travel before he came up to me.

Then a Taurus turning left from the cross-street almost ran the crossing dude over in the crosswalk, not seeing him as he hadn't hit the button to make the wig-wags go off.

It's easy to see how dumb poo poo like this happens. I'm always on high alert at that crosswalk because people will jaywalk or jump out into traffic from behind a stopped bus without looking. An intersection a block away had two cars hit the same pedestrian at once last year. A Sable took her down, fled and then a Lexus ran her body over a few minutes afterward and fled.

Only the Sable ever turned himself in.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I love people who wear dark clothing at night while walking on the wrong side of the road.

Yes! Make it almost impossible to see you! Thats a great idea! Beep Beep! I'm a motoring vehicle!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ratbert90 posted:

I love people who wear dark clothing at night while walking on the wrong side of the road.

Yes! Make it almost impossible to see you! Thats a great idea! Beep Beep! I'm a motoring vehicle!
Black clothing and black shoes with a black hat on a black bike with no lights or reflectors at night on an unlit road. Wearing sunglasses. And the guy doing all this is, in fact, black. Just another night in Leicester.

At least walking down the wrong side of the road is the nominally "correct" approach, so they see you even if you don't see them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Black clothing and black shoes with a black hat on a black bike with no lights or reflectors at night on an unlit road. Wearing sunglasses. And the guy doing all this is, in fact, black. Just another night in Leicester.

At least walking down the wrong side of the road is the nominally "correct" approach, so they see you even if you don't see them.

You assume they aren't listening to music and/or staring intently at their cellphone.

At least staring at a cellphone means you're basically holding a flashlight in your face while walking toward oncoming traffic so I have a chance at seeing your face before it hits the drat windshield.

People pull that poo poo around here too, because basically people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it. (Yes, that's a MIB quote...)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chinatown posted:

I watched a guy in a wheelchair get mowed down by a car at an intersection once. The wheelchair guy didn't look both ways and he was crossing on a crosswalk but against the traffic. He had a "don't walk" and the car was going straight through on a green. If I'm not mistaken, the car driver didn't get prosecuted for that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Devyl posted:

They had a problem with cars and the crosswalks at the old downtown square here in Bowling Green. It's a historic area with a lot of bars. Mix that with being in a college town and you can imagine the kind of problems that arise. To fix it, the crosswalk now has signs that light up and lights throughout the road itself so people know when it's safe to cross.

They have these signs and lights at the local college campus and what happens is, if the kids press it, they wait a half second, get impatient, and walk out into traffic anyway. Sometime roughly when their feet hit the other side of the four-lane highway, the light show actually starts.

One of these crosswalks is maybe fifty feet from a stoplight that is in no way at all coordinated with it, frequently trapping cars in the intersection when the light goes green and then the crosswalk activates ten seconds later. Another one actually has a pedestrian footbridge built over the crosswalk, as they both head to a parking garage, but I've never seen anyone use it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dear people who park in the clearly labeled fire lane with "No Parking" signs everywhere just so you can let out your decrepit passengers or load groceries (!) despite there being ample parking not twenty feet away, and in doing so, impede traffic for everyone else,

gently caress you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

They have these signs and lights at the local college campus and what happens is, if the kids press it, they wait a half second, get impatient, and walk out into traffic anyway. Sometime roughly when their feet hit the other side of the four-lane highway, the light show actually starts.

One of these crosswalks is maybe fifty feet from a stoplight that is in no way at all coordinated with it, frequently trapping cars in the intersection when the light goes green and then the crosswalk activates ten seconds later. Another one actually has a pedestrian footbridge built over the crosswalk, as they both head to a parking garage, but I've never seen anyone use it.

There are some lights here where the pedestrian signal is actually a red-Amber-green stop light, and I almost hit a jogger with headphones on that ran by, hit the button and then ran into the road without breaking stride. I stood on the horn to wake him the gently caress up, and he ignored me and almost got hit by the vehicle in the next Lane that was going through the still green light. He was across the road before the light turned yellow and a bunch of people had to sit at a red light with nobody crossing.

Idiots are idiots, in car or on foot. I almost got rear ended today because the person in front of me stopped to try to merge in a free flow Lane and the guy behind me was way too close. We both ended up pretty much side by side behind the idiot who stopped. If I was a cop I would throw the loving book at people who stop in free flow lanes. Make drat sure they can't get back behind the wheel without a driving course.

The Midniter posted:

Dear people who park in the clearly labeled fire lane with "No Parking" signs everywhere just so you can let out your decrepit passengers or load groceries (!) despite there being ample parking not twenty feet away, and in doing so, impede traffic for everyone else,

gently caress you.

:j: but my four way flashers are on. That's free rein to be a oval office. :j:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I had a guy sitting in the far left lane of the i5 express lanes pacing a car in the next lane over at about 60mph. I came up behind and double flashed my high beams at him, and he actually got out of the way. Granted he slammed on his brakes and dove behind the car next to him with out indicating and so abruptly that I actually jumped on my brakes thinking something bad happened in front of him. Nope, I guess he just wanted to show me how rude I was being by wanting to pass people in the passing lane. Then as soon as I got by him and was going about 70, he drops back in right on my rear end, turns his high beams on and just sits there for a bit.

I really don't get people some times.