Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

User0015 posted:

What they should do is, instead of letting the player manipulate people by changing personality, let a companion manipulate the player. What a wonderfully evil companion to have, who tells you exactly what you want to hear, when you want to hear it, and it turns out they're a psychopath.

KOTOR II did that. The character in question would lie, deceive, and manipulate your entire party (including you) to their own ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And bringing up Torment again you have two party members that have been lying to you the entire time.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, so long as they're only like the black Italians that's okay, I guess.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Lt. Danger posted:

Monopoly . . . it's not a bad game! It's the people who play it who are bad players!

Join us in the Goon Board Game Thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493657 . . . We discuss many things. One of our favorite things to do is tell people why Monopoly is the worst game. Well, apart from Risk and Munchkin - they're the worst game too.

On topic, I've heard 100 hours mentioned in game length if you do everything. Gotta say I am pleased to hear it, I want something to get my teeth into.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't really remember, are the two backed big cities Defiance Bay and Twin Elms, while others like Spirento are much smaller settlements?

Tajerio
Feb 7, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

I don't really remember, are the two backed big cities Defiance Bay and Twin Elms, while others like Spirento are much smaller settlements?

Given that it's clearly a big city from the description given in the image above, I think Spirento is just on the map, but won't be appearing in the game. The two backed big cities are Defiance Bay and Twin Elms.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Drifter posted:

Well, so long as they're only like the black Italians that's okay, I guess.

How many black italians were there in the 14th-17th century.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

hemale in pain posted:

P. Sure you'd be surprised

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

hemale in pain posted:

Enough for Shakespeare to write a play about one.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Maybe I should read some Shakespeare :effort:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

hemale in pain posted:

And this is how video games are destroying the future. :eng99:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

The films are better.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

gently caress jpgs for typographical and UI images, now and forever, amen.

Keeshhound posted:

Pfft Moors weren't you know black black

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FRINGE posted:

And this is how video games are destroying the future. :eng99:

Nah, it just means we need to adapt old stories to new media. I'm sure Titus Andronicus would make a decent FPS.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Keeshhound posted:

Shakespeare probably wrote Othello because England had just entered into pretty close relationship with Morocco during his lifetime and London had been visited by a delegation from there which was pretty crazy for the time. He never visited Venice, and it was pretty much some kind of fantastic foreign utopia as far as he was concerned. It's like how he wrote a play about a Jew living in Venice despite the fact that nobody in England had ever met a Jew, but they must be in Venice.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Let me tell you about Gilbert & Sullivan's The Mikado,

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Shakespeare probably wrote Othello because England had just entered into pretty close relationship with Morocco during his lifetime and London had been visited by a delegation from there which was pretty crazy for the time. He never visited Venice, and it was pretty much some kind of fantastic foreign utopia as far as he was concerned. It's like how he wrote a play about a Jew living in Venice despite the fact that nobody in England had ever met a Jew, but they must be in Venice.

Do I need to put a ":v:" after every joke for you pedantic fuckers to get it?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 23, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Accordion Man posted:

I like how in Torment that you could make Vhailor realize that being a true D&D Paladin type is hypocritical and dumb and it makes him commit suicide because he realizes his life is a lie.

Sort of. You make Vhailor realize that his particular definition of Justice is hypocritical and dumb.

Vhailor is in no way shape or form a Paladin. He is Lawful Neutral to the loving core.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
edit: nm ... it would just be another DnD argument.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 23, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Is the picture about locations you'll visit in Eternity or locations that are *important to Eternity's story*? Because I kind of doubt they'd add a third city for you to visit while the two "big cities" already were a lot of work and needed their own stretch goals.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Speaking of the story... what is the trigger of it? What brings my PC to this land of adventure? Is there only one or can I choose from diverse origins?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

frajaq posted:

Speaking of the story... what is the trigger of it? What brings my PC to this land of adventure? Is there only one or can I choose from diverse origins?

I think it was said at some point that there are multiple backgrounds a PC can have. That being said, the catalyst for the story is the supernatural phenomenon the protagonist ends up being caught in. The story in general has been kept pretty much under wraps, but between the "No rest for the Watcher" tagline of the first trailer and this in one of the Kickstarter updates:

quote:

Animancers studied folk legends about figures called Watchers who reportedly were able to see lost souls and perceive an individual's ancestral lives, but claimants to that title were typically charlatans at best or mentally unstable and violent at worst.

I think it is pretty likely the PC ends up becoming a Watcher due to whatever phenomenon they end up witnessing.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I remember them saying that story is both saving the world* and saving yourself. Other than that, they've been hush hush about it.

*world being Glanfathan/Dyrwood

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Accordion Man posted:

I like how in Torment that you could make Vhailor realize that being a true D&D Paladin type is hypocritical and dumb and it makes him commit suicide because he realizes his life is a lie.

I never did it myself, but couldn't you convince Vhailor that The Transcendent One was the big criminal he'd been searching for, which pisses off Vhailor so much that he basically super-hacks himself into God Mode? I always thought that was a pretty hilarious dick move, even if it was technically true.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

hemale in pain posted:

Dennis Hopper will tell you.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ropekid, I have a question. I see that you guys are praising player feedback during development a lot, and I am curious. When you start working on Eternity expansion or Eternity 2 with your own money (let's face it, PoE will sell like hot poo poo to a dung beetle colony, that's how starved we are for good RPGs) will you also have regular updates like you have now, even though you won't be constrained by your promise for them during kickstarter?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

I'm assuming it'll be like New Vegas, where your background isn't really explored. It's an RPG after all, we the players create the character we play as. Plus I don't want to imagine what a headache it would be to try to come up with something that would apply to every race and class.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

2house2fly posted:

I'm assuming it'll be like New Vegas, where your background isn't really explored. It's an RPG after all, we the players create the character we play as. Plus I don't want to imagine what a headache it would be to try to come up with something that would apply to every race and class.

There's no reason each background can't set a flag or two like "merchant family" or "colonist" which is referenced a few times each. They're already writing very reactive dialog, this is just one more dimension.

Disco Infiva posted:

Ropekid, I have a question. I see that you guys are praising player feedback during development a lot, and I am curious. When you start working on Eternity expansion or Eternity 2 with your own money (let's face it, PoE will sell like hot poo poo to a dung beetle colony, that's how starved we are for good RPGs) will you also have regular updates like you have now, even though you won't be constrained by your promise for them during kickstarter?

This seems kind of silly to me. They're "constrained by their promise for them" because they promised to write them in the kickstarter. Most Kickstarters don't make that promise, some don't promise any updates at all (admittedly these are usually the shorter ones like "record an album"); I think it's pretty clear Obsidian put that in there because they were willing and able and wanted to provide them.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

The main issue might be that they will probably run out of material to make updates at some point. There are only so many classes, races and concepts that they can present and discuss.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fuschia tude posted:

This seems kind of silly to me. They're "constrained by their promise for them" because they promised to write them in the kickstarter. Most Kickstarters don't make that promise, some don't promise any updates at all (admittedly these are usually the shorter ones like "record an album"); I think it's pretty clear Obsidian put that in there because they were willing and able and wanted to provide them.

Everything you've said is true, but not really the point of my question. Maybe "constrained" was a clumsy word to use because of non-intended implications it evokes. My question was about future Eternity games they will be developing. Will they also gives regular updates and listen to us ranting about them, since they said they like having player input? I just used this current kickstarter as a comparison where they can't really stop doing them because then they will break their word they've given us during the crowdfunding phase.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Funso Banjo posted:

On topic, I've heard 100 hours mentioned in game length if you do everything. Gotta say I am pleased to hear it, I want something to get my teeth into.
I've never given a figure for gameplay length and I will brutally murder anyone on the dev team who gives a figure for gameplay length. Please tell me where you heard this so they can be slain.

Kurtofan posted:

The game won't span the entire area on that map. Like the BG/IWD games, we're sticking with areas in close proximity to each other (though not entirely contiguous, as in BG).

Disco Infiva posted:

We will continue to have updates, though their frequency will be dictated by how much info we have to share.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I never did it myself, but couldn't you convince Vhailor that The Transcendent One was the big criminal he'd been searching for, which pisses off Vhailor so much that he basically super-hacks himself into God Mode? I always thought that was a pretty hilarious dick move, even if it was technically true.

Sort of, you basically point out how unjust the entire Nameless/Transcendent situation is and he flips his poo poo and his strength, dexterity, and constitution go to 25 and he gets 2,000,000 experience points. It's amazing, I can't find the dialogue for it though

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The slightest touch of your power seems to set a spark through Vhailor's armored shell - it rises into the air, and refits itself into the semblance of a man. As the armor reattaches, two fires blaze within the helm.
(StrRef: 68222)

"Vhailor?"
(StrRef: 68223)

*I have AWAKENED.*
(StrRef: 68225)

"Vhailor, listen to me: a great injustice has been done. When I die, someone else across the Planes dies in my place. It has happened hundreds, thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of times. The multiverse dies so that I might live."
(StrRef: 68226)

PermanentStatChange("Vhail",STR,RAISE,3)
PermanentStatChange("Vhail",DEX,SET,25)
PermanentStatChange("Vhail",CON,SET,25)
GiveExperience("Vhail",2000000)

As you speak the words, Vhailor seems to *swell*, becoming greater, more a force than an armor.
(StrRef: 68227)

"I know my crime, and I am trying to prevent it from ever happening again, but the one creature that could put an end to this injustice *refuses* to allow it for its own selfish reasons."
(StrRef: 68228)

FullHealEx("Vhail")

*YOU ARE NOW AMONG THE CONDEMNED. AS IS THIS OTHER. I WILL SEE BOTH YOUR SOULS SPLIT UPON JUSTICE'S BLADE.*
(StrRef: 68229)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

RentACop posted:

Sort of, you basically point out how unjust the entire Nameless/Transcendent situation is and he flips his poo poo and his strength, dexterity, and constitution go to 25 and he gets 2,000,000 experience points. It's amazing, I can't find the dialogue for it though

This is an incredibly badass scene, but it's still not as epic as being able to browbeat the guy into submission yourself:

The Nameless One posted:

If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.

:black101:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Torment is one of the very few games where talking down the final boss is far more climatic than actually fighting him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, the first time I played I threatened him with my own suicide (The Blade of the Immortal) which I thought was cool, but actually talking him down and convincing him to join with me readily of his own free will on subsequent playthroughs was definitely the "best" way to do things.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
On the expansion:

Adam Brennecke posted:

We've started to plan the expansion, but no one is working on it. Brandon has put together a initial staffing/budget plan to be reviewed by Feargus, and we've had a design brainstorming meeting. The team is entirely focused on finishing the base game right now.

Brandon Adler posted:

The expansion pack's budget isn't based on Eternity sales. We have already decided (and promised) that we are doing it.

How it works is that Feargus gives us a rough budget/man month number for the expansion. I then play employee Tetris to find a combination of people, roles, and time that all make sense. Once I have a basic timeline and the overall budget, I show it to Adam and Josh so we can talk about any potential pitfalls that we may run into. I also show it to others that I trust to give it a good evaluation (like Matt Singh, for example).

Once we all feel good about it, I present the proposed schedule along with all comments and concerns we have to Feargus. An example of a concern might be something along the lines of having someone run as a lead of a department that has never been a lead in the past. Once we lay everything on the table, Feargus tells me what his thoughts are and we modify (or argue our positions). Ultimately, this gives us a rough plan as to when we are starting and who will likely be on it.

Like Adam has mentioned, we have started brainstorming. In the coming months the Project Director and Lead Narrative Designer will probably start talking more and more about what they want to do with the expansion. Once we get more concrete info, we will send it out to our backers. I wouldn't expect that for a long time, though.

On Paladins:

JE Sawyer posted:

Paladins in PoE are not all religiously-affiliated as they are in A/D&D. The paladin companion, Pallegina, is associated with a secular political organization. There are "traditional" paladin orders in the world like the Shieldbearers of St. Elcga, Kind Wayfarers, and Fellows of St. Waidwen, but there are also mercenary paladins (Goldpact Knights), battlefield ravagers (Bleak Walkers) and all sorts of other groups. Without exception paladins are always zealously devoted to their chosen cause, but their chosen causes and codes of behavior are quite varied.

On the Skills system:

JE Sawyer posted:

There are not many, honestly. We'd rather have a small number of skills that get a good amount of use than include a bunch of skills that wind up neglected.

JE Sawyer posted:

Outside of thieves (rangers and bards a little) skills weren't a focus of the IE games until IWD2. Specifically, if you weren't playing those classes, you didn't even have skills. And in IWD2, a lot of them wound up feeling redundant or useless. If our options are to include a huge number of skills to make characters feel diverse (without making good use of them) or to have a small number of skills with heavier use and less per-character diversity, I think it's better to go with the latter.

JE Sawyer posted:

Yes. We have previously given details about our skill system, including how Stealth works. As a recap, all characters can invest in the Stealth skill, though certain classes (like rogues) have a head start in that department. You can have characters sneak individually or as a group and the gameplay consists of navigating the Stealth-based radii of your party members around the detection radii of potential enemies. Enemies have two stages to discovering a sneaking character. The first causes them to investigate. Once they get close enough (IF they get close enough), they will fully realize the threat and typically start combat (sometimes dialogue). In both of our class pair updates (rogues + rangers, wizards + druids), we've called out what non-combat skills each class emphasizes, but yes, the skills are largely class-neutral.

Dialogue options are also largely class-neutral. Most threshold-based options are opened up based on the character's attributes -- using Perception to notice something, Resolve to threaten someone with scary intensity, Strength to intimidate someone with brute force (or just to smack them around a little), Dexterity to swipe something, etc. Picking these options is not always a path to success, but the attributes are what open them up. The same applies to class-, race-, sex-, or background-based options that pop up. We decided to avoid dialogue skills since it pushes characters to invest in "the dialogue game" or miss out on a ton of enjoyable content. By using as many basic elements of the character as we can to shape dialogue, we keep dialogue open to all sorts of characters, from meat-head fighters to sassy wizards and everything in-between. Attribute-based checks worked well in Planescape: Torment and we think it will work well in PoE as well.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Does this game have things like Traits or Backgrounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

hemale in pain posted:

MadJackMcJack posted:

The films are better.

There's actually a very good movie, 'Titus' that closely follows Titus Andronicus. Everyone should watch it, because it exemplifies his writing so well. I kind of wish RPG's had more dialogue written along these lines, where characters are not above dick jokes, but there's a level of sophistication about it.

• Locked thread