Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It would be cool if it was more powerful, since the recharge time means it's not going to be something you bust out for standard encounters anyway, and it still works as something the Brotherhood was insane to almost be wiped out over. I don't think Kimball even died when I hit him with it, and that dude was wearing a suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
So is there a definite list of all the best/essential mods/fixes for this game?

Last year I lost my old install of New Vegas including all the sweet mods like ropekid's mod and stuff that fixed broken perks and other bugs or just made the game look better. I've found some of them, and Nexus must have everything I need, but shifting through those stupid nudity and anime armor mods and whatnot to find anything worthwhile is just too much for me. :effort:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Frungy! posted:

So is there a definite list of all the best/essential mods/fixes for this game?

I assume you've already read the OP?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I assume you've already read the OP?

I skimmed through it, and totally missed the link to the modding thread. :downs:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Frungy! posted:

I skimmed through it, and totally missed the link to the modding thread. :downs:

If it's any consolation, I actually thought this was the modding thread, and that's why I pointed you to the OP. :psyduck:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, even then, the only essential mods, really, are CASM. Like I'd never play the game without it. The game actually got patched so you don't really need any patches or the like.

Also NVSE, the 4gb.exe, and NVAC are very recommended, but really this is talk for the modding thread.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The New Vegas Uncut series of mods restores some missing content into the game. I recommend this for any new playthrough.

Jsawyer is another popular balancing mod. I don't think it's necessary, but many enjoy it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Mortimer posted:

"Hey this guy's gun is pointing gigantic red space lasers at me, better not do anything", said not-Caesar

I get why, but with the fact that there is a charge-up, it can't be used indoors and enemies become hostile in the four seconds it takes to actually do anything, it should hit with the force of like seven Fatman bombs.

I remember in one of the patches rope kid actually tweaked That Gun to hit harder because it was funner that way, seems like this one was overlooked (possibly because it was only optionally received at the end of a pretty buggy questline so it went unnoticed by most).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Caufman posted:

The New Vegas Uncut series of mods restores some missing content into the game. I recommend this for any new playthrough.

Jsawyer is another popular balancing mod. I don't think it's necessary, but many enjoy it.

I've been playing with jsawyer this playthrough and I really like it. It makes the Villa part of Dead Money a bit more of a pain in the rear end with the severely lowered health, but I managed to finish without too much trouble even starting at level 15. Non-hardcore though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Caufman posted:

Huh, I didn't even know there was any missing content, at least nothing still in the game data anyway. Anything interesting?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Caufman posted:

Most of them are pretty good, but some are kind of unnecessary and the modder admits as much in their description. Also, someone with a low-end machine probably won't want to try the Strip/Freeside Open ones.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Doing Lonesome Road for the first time in a long while. First off - loving Deathclaws. They're surely buffed beyond normal Wasteland ones, right? Second - loving Tunnellers. Why are they even there get away from me.

Thirdly - I'm actually leaning towards a Mr House ending, and yet Ulysses is still talking to me as if I'm NCR. What gives? I am idolized by the NCR for doing some nice things but I refused to work with Cocker Crocker.

Was hoping - as per some comments I've seen before - that doing Lonesome Road and listening to Ulysses might give me some better idea as to who to actually give the Strip to (since I really don't know who I want to support, think Legion's out now since I liberated Nelson, though), but since he assumes I'm with NCR none of his reasoning really makes sense. At least I'll get the carry weight bonus duster.

Also it's dishing out too much exp. I'm gonna finish this at level 50 :negative:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think Ulysses has a dumb thing where he won't acknowledge you as a House guy unless all the other factions specifically don't like you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Project Nevada is often overlooked in favor of jsawyer, but it comes bundled with lots of neat and configurable / optional features - sprinting, backpacks, overhauled implants...

Also Wasteland Flora Overhaul is a not-extremely-popular mod that IMHO incredibly enhances the atmosphere of the world.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nobody Interesting posted:

Also it's dishing out too much exp. I'm gonna finish this at level 50 :negative:

This is one of the things I like about jsawyer. It cuts the quest reward XP in the DLCs by 2/3 and lowers the level cap to 35 with all DLCs(which you have to have to use jsawyer anyways).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't remember the exact name, but there's a Lonesome Road mod that makes Ulysses' assessment of your faction based on quest progression, rather than reputation.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DeathChicken posted:

I think Ulysses has a dumb thing where he won't acknowledge you as a House guy unless all the other factions specifically don't like you.

It counts your Strip rep for House; for Independent dialogue Strip, NCR and Legion all have to be neutral or lower. What's dumb is that it can surely read quests as easily as it can read reputation so it should be able to see if you've failed Don't Tread On The Bear and Wrath Of Caesar, and it definitely knows when you've killed House but that doesn't come up until after the ending has rolled. I assume they wanted to keep the mechanic as simple as possible to avoid bugs. And hey, there's a mod for it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's this

Lonesome Road has a few cool mods. This is probably my favourite because it looks badass

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44122/

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Project Nevada is often overlooked in favor of jsawyer, but it comes bundled with lots of neat and configurable / optional features - sprinting, backpacks, overhauled implants...

Also Wasteland Flora Overhaul is a not-extremely-popular mod that IMHO incredibly enhances the atmosphere of the world.

Vurts WFO is loving rad as balls and you should use it if you don't.

PN and Jsawyer can kinda play nice, though if you also use CCO there's patches to make them all pretty together

Jsawyer also moves the couriers statsh gear around you start out with 100bs of pretty rad gear.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, just using the base PN module with JSawyer works fine, just as long as you don't use the rebalance one.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah, just using the base PN module with JSawyer works fine, just as long as you don't use the rebalance one.
You can use PN's Rebalance module with JSawyer: Just tweak PN's Rebalance MCM with JSawyer's values for hunger rate, etc.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Finished Lonesome Road and I'm stuck after the slideshow. Enableplayercontrols works but I still can't move, the ending music theme is also constantly playing. I force traveled using coc in the console, still can't move.

Anyone know what might be up?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

2house2fly posted:

The weapon you choose can make a big difference. Legion Assassins have tough armour, so you want to pick a weapon with a high DAM stat (DAM is damage per attack, important for heavy armour; DPS is damage per second and is important against enemies with weak armour like cazadores and Jackals/Vipers) like a rifle, with armour-piercing ammo if you have it. Melee/Unarmed weapons do bonus damage in VATS if I remember right(plus the assassins attack in a tight pack usually and it's easier to swing wildly than keep aiming) and if you get hold of a Ripper, Thermic Lance or Chainsaw they ignore armour entirely.

Yeah, I have better weapons to use against them now, but still hardly any armor-piercing ammo. Explosives are very effective too, I learned. Thanks for the tip about the Ripper. I have one in good condition and had no idea it ignored armor!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Finished Lonesome Road and I'm stuck after the slideshow. Enableplayercontrols works but I still can't move, the ending music theme is also constantly playing. I force traveled using coc in the console, still can't move.

Anyone know what might be up?

Is this just after the slideshow, or just after the bit where it gives you an extra stat point? if you have max stats the game freaks out and kinda makes you paralysed forever there.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

King Doom posted:

Is this just after the slideshow, or just after the bit where it gives you an extra stat point? if you have max stats the game freaks out and kinda makes you paralysed forever there.

I didn't even get to the bit where I get the stat point. This is straight after the slideshow, and even running enableplayercontrols during the slideshow doesn't allow me to move (I should in theory be able to turn around and look at Ron?).

I don't have max stats, though. My PER is 10 through Four Eyes / Hats, though.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Weird. It was Nevada Skies. You must disable it before leaving the Temple or you get stuck.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Weird. It was Nevada Skies. You must disable it before leaving the Temple or you get stuck.
I use Nevada Skies and I never had that issue. Maybe it's interacting with another mod?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, I never had that bug when I used Nevada Skies. Must be a mod conflict or something.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My current mods are jsawyer (aka the best mod and you should never not use it except maybe your first playthrough), Project Nevada core for sprint, bullet time, and grenade hotkey (also face-covering goggles show up in first person mode), Western Skies and a darker nights mod for pretty (also vanilla nights are still pretty bright, I wanna fight in total blackness), Increased Wasteland Spawns (hit-and-miss, I like the extra patrols and the running firefights on the NCR/Legion border but the early game is a huge hassle- I'd prefer fights with smaller, tougher groups), and the Strip/Freeside Open and Outside Bets Uncut to restore a few NPCs and remove the Vegas loading screens. Also there's a fix for Lonesome Road allegiance, one or two other bugfixes, CASM, and DarnUI.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
just keep IWS at low or no spawn levels until after Nipton or whatever. Also Fiend territory is so drat :black101: with IWS cranked up

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

JawKnee posted:

just keep IWS at low or no spawn levels until after Nipton or whatever. Also Fiend territory is so drat :black101: with IWS cranked up

It's amazing, like a goddamned army of raiders.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So I was just doing Old World Blues again, and I have a Q. Is there actually anything at the Hexcrete Archipelago or is it literally just a random fast travel point in the middle of nowhere?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Doesn't do anything, just looks cool

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Does Veronica have any new dialogue if you join the brotherhood before you first talk to her?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm pretty sure I remember a [BOS] dialogue option, but I can't remember what it was. I might be getting her mixed up with Christine. Veronica definitely has some unique dialogue if you already destroyed the bunker before meeting her though :twisted:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So is my game being buggy or can you really not repair the Elite Riot Armor with the Advanced Riot Armor? If it's not a bug, I'll probably just whip up a mod to fix that myself, because that's dumb.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jesus Vault 34 is such an annoying slog. I at least accidentally learned that companions are immune to radiation poisoning because Boone somehow teleported to the armory after leaving him in Novac out of fear he could die of radiation poisoning :buddy:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So is my game being buggy or can you really not repair the Elite Riot Armor with the Advanced Riot Armor? If it's not a bug, I'll probably just whip up a mod to fix that myself, because that's dumb.

I think it's an oversight / bug / whatever. You can't do it unless you have Jury Rigging for some stupid reason.

Would love a mod to fix that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus Vault 34 is such an annoying slog. I at least accidentally learned that companions are immune to radiation poisoning because Boone somehow teleported to the armory after leaving him in Novac out of fear he could die of radiation poisoning :buddy:
Yeah. This one, and the plant one are both pretty boring. The only vault I've ever liked playing through is the one with the voting bloc story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah. This one, and the plant one are both pretty boring. The only vault I've ever liked playing through is the one with the voting bloc story.

At least you get an insane amount of loot if you're patient enough to go key/pass hunting to open the armory. The place is also absolutely loaded with 10mm ammo and guns which means I could use my SMG willy-nilly on the 400 or so ghouls that populate the place without worrying about running out of ammo or breaking it.