Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

swickles posted:

I don't get the puppet episode hate. Like, it wasn't joke heavy I get that, but it wasn't outright bad. Also, puppets! :3:

Its the only episode of Community I didnt even finish. I've watched Seasons 1 and 2 probably 8 times, S3 maybe 5, S4 I watched all episodes at least once, S5 I've watched them all twice. Puppet episode? Got about 10 minutes in and shut it off.

Havent looked back. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Republican Vampire posted:

Season Four's cargo cult approach to recreating Harmon's version of Community.

Nailed it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Alan is the evil lawyer played by Rob Corddry. He's the one who cost Jeff his job.

Oh. I thought there was a hangover inspired character that I'd utterly forgot about.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

swickles posted:

I have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, is the way they play in the show representative in any way of the actual game? I mean, I know there are some liberties to create the strife like Pierce going rogue and Hank trying to sabotage it and what not. Also, does it require a crazy amount of knowledge to get a foothold into? The show actually makes it seem like an easy and fun game. I never got into D&D mainly because it seemed like you need an encyclopedic knowledge of the game and to find enough people with the same knowledge.

Dungeons and Dragons is an incredibly terrible game. I initially wrote more words but it really breaks down to that

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

The vampire hunters are looking for you make a roll for stealth
I'm going to start singing the theme song from Alf!

Actual thing that happened in a game I played.

Were you playing with Vin Diesel? Or did you just not consider kicking his rear end? Roll for....something. IDK role playing games.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Sounds like he was playing with Dan Harmon's girlfriend.

i take off my backpack and tie a rope to it and i shoot TWO arrows at my own feet and GUYS WE SHOULD PUT ON A SHOW

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 23, 2014

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Illinois Smith posted:

I shoot two arrows!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Frostwerks posted:

Were you playing with Vin Diesel? Or did you just not consider kicking his rear end? Roll for....something. IDK role playing games.

No, we played with a guy who was really good friends with our DM, but everyone else hated, and the DM would always "are you sure you want to do that?" and the guy would be "yep!". He thought it was hilarious to do poo poo like that all the time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

No, we played with a guy who was really good friends with our DM, but everyone else hated, and the DM would always "are you sure you want to do that?" and the guy would be "yep!". He thought it was hilarious to do poo poo like that all the time.

You can't put obvious traps in a game and not expect people to want to see what they do. :colbert:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

twistedmentat posted:

And yea, David Cross played the sterotype of the problem player, the person that in any RPG group would just exist to gently caress everything up. He'd be the one who the DM would discribe an obvious trap, and they'd pick up the golden pickle off its dias and start a indiana jones big rock rolling towards you.

David Cross just wanted to play a game without being railroaded. The worst DMs are the ones that have already decided how everything is going to go before the game even starts.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I think it is weird that Abed is the only one rolling dice. Players are supposed to roll their own dice.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Remedial Chaos Theory already showed us Abed has an obsession with dice rolls and their consequences. He's probably trying to control that as much as possible (yes I am aware Advance Dungeons and Dragons came before it).

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

swickles posted:

I have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, is the way they play in the show...

I'm glad you asked this, because I actually just spent 10 minutes researching D&D and how it is actually played before I hopped into this thread. I was also toying with the idea of looking for a newb-friendly group to try it out with, and was curious how close to realistic that was.

Thanks for the info, guys

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

i take off my backpack and tie a rope to it and i shoot TWO arrows at my own feet and GUYS WE SHOULD PUT ON A SHOW
I'd probably get tarred and feathered at Harmontown for saying this, but the DnD parts of Harmon's podcast are the hardest for me to get through. It was fun for about 6 episodes but I can barely sit through the drunken DnD sessions anymore. I think I'm behind by almost 20 episodes now because of that.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Steve Vader posted:

I think it is weird that Abed is the only one rolling dice. Players are supposed to roll their own dice.

And their characters are pre-generated and picked at random.

The study group kinda doesn't give a poo poo.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

McGann posted:

I'm glad you asked this, because I actually just spent 10 minutes researching D&D and how it is actually played before I hopped into this thread. I was also toying with the idea of looking for a newb-friendly group to try it out with, and was curious how close to realistic that was.

Thanks for the info, guys

I prefer Paizo's Pathfinder system. It's based on the D&D 3.5 system with some modifications and I think it's a great system overall. Also, the entirety of it is available for free online.

http://paizo.com/prd/
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Oz posted:

I prefer Paizo's Pathfinder system. It's based on the D&D 3.5 system with some modifications and I think it's a great system overall. Also, the entirety of it is available for free online.

http://paizo.com/prd/
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Uh...

Dungeons and Dragons is an incredibly terrible game. I initially wrote more words but it really breaks down to that

This goes triple for Pathfinder.

But anyway, anyone interested in rpgs should check out the D&D (Dice & Drama) subforum of Games, we talk about all kinds of games and you're sure to find something that looks cool if you want to try something out.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I've always loved the idea of DnD, but never the kind of people who play it. So I'd just end up reading the rulebooks and faffing about. :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

nutranurse posted:

I've always loved the idea of DnD, but never the kind of people who play it. So I'd just end up reading the rulebooks and faffing about. :(

"Geek" culture has become mainstream enough that it shouldn't be too difficult to convince people to play a few sessions using a module as a guide. I mean, if you can convince your friends to watch Community, it doesn't take much more effort to convince them to play Dungeons and Dragons or any other role-playing game. Guide them through character creation (or just high level it with them and make the characters yourself), explain the basic mechanics of what they can and can't do, and give them a d20 + whatever dice they use for damage.

Only one person actually NEEDS to know what all those books of numbers and :words: mean, the rest can just wing it with the power of imagination.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Last Chance posted:

I'd probably get tarred and feathered at Harmontown for saying this, but the DnD parts of Harmon's podcast are the hardest for me to get through. It was fun for about 6 episodes but I can barely sit through the drunken DnD sessions anymore. I think I'm behind by almost 20 episodes now because of that.

100% agree. I used to love those segments, but now I usually just turn the podcast off when they start because it's so boring. Sometimes I'll keep listening if they have a guest. Matt Gourley's D&D segment was AMAZING. But other times it's like when Doug Benson has someone on who doesn't give a poo poo about the Leonard Maltin game and constantly has to have the rules explained.

Also it usually has the most Erin and she is just not entertaining in the least. Sweet girl, but baaad podcaster.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know, the one where Dan yelled at a skeleton for half an hour because it threatened him was pretty funny, as are any segments in which Jeff gets angry with Erin. Oh, and Dan as Iced Tea from two weeks back was pretty good.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know, the one where Dan yelled at a skeleton for half an hour because it threatened him was pretty funny, as are any segments in which Jeff gets angry with Erin. Oh, and Dan as Iced Tea from two weeks back was pretty good.

I thought last week's with the bag was pretty good too.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

Actually in many groups and games, players don't roll their own dice. My books are currently in storage, but if I'm remembering right, at least one edition of AD&D and the original D&D were written based on the assumption that players would only roll during character creation, which is why generating stats mostly involves d6s. The assumption was that the only set of gaming dice a group would have is the one that came in the box.

More recent editions recommend that the DM roll things like search and spot rolls because failure would tip players off.

nutranurse posted:

D&D is a terrible game. Play something fun like Geist, Fiasco or Paranoia instead. Fiasco's probably the easiest one to get normal people to play because it's got a bit of a party game atmosphere going on and the genre (It's inspired by Coen Brothers films) is an easier sell.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Djarum posted:

I thought last week's with the bag was pretty good too.

Welcome to Bill Mardigan's, land of smoking, riddles and horseshoes!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

You must have lovely friends to play it with, because the one game of it that I've ever played was a lot of fun.

swickles posted:

I have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, is the way they play in the show representative in any way of the actual game? I mean, I know there are some liberties to create the strife like Pierce going rogue and Hank trying to sabotage it and what not. Also, does it require a crazy amount of knowledge to get a foothold into? The show actually makes it seem like an easy and fun game. I never got into D&D mainly because it seemed like you need an encyclopedic knowledge of the game and to find enough people with the same knowledge.

You definitely don't need an encyclopedic knowledge of the game at all, just a good DM. (And the internet helps for looking stuff up nowadays.)

And Pierce going rogue definitely isn't a liberty, that can happen in a D&D game. We had one of our party members murder another party member in his sleep. (But he was stealthy, and hid the body, and he got away with it... even though all of the players knew what he had done, their characters had no idea.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

D&D is a terrible game. Play something fun like Geist, Fiasco or Paranoia instead. Fiasco's probably the easiest one to get normal people to play because it's got a bit of a party game atmosphere going on and the genre (It's inspired by Coen Brothers films) is an easier sell.

Or, if people want the whole fantasy swords and magic experience, there's Dungeon World which takes all the fun bits of D&D, and cuts out all the sperg. Classes come as playbooks, creating a character takes seconds, and you can be up and running in about half an hour if you're new.

It's an indie game, so getting hardcopies of the book is tough right now, but you can find the pdf for 10bux (I think) and dice are like another 5bux at your local game store. Much like the episode, you can totally run with one set of dice and just share them between players.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

You must have lovely friends to play it with, because the one game of it that I've ever played was a lot of fun.

No, I've just played other games that are better mechanically and have cooler premises. D&D's overcomplicated for the sake of being overcomplicated, and Monte Cook is a huge dick who actively set out to gently caress with new players while working on third edition by implementing build traps. Seriously, there are trap options in it just so that min/maxing dorks can be "rewarded" for being min/maxing dorks.

Next might be okay, I guess? Haven't played it but I hear it's p. cool.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

D&D's overcomplicated for the sake of being overcomplicated, and Monte Cook is a huge dick who actively set out to gently caress with new players while working on third edition by implementing build traps. Seriously, there are trap options in it just so that min/maxing dorks can be "rewarded" for being min/maxing dorks.

If you're not playing with min/maxing dorks, how would that effect you?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

If you're not playing with min/maxing dorks, how would that effect you?

Because the traps are still built into the feat, spell and equipment systems?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Because the traps are still built into the feat, spell and equipment systems?

Fair enough. If I recall, our DM avoided 3e because it wasn't newbie-friendly, I seem to recall him talking about how they ruined the feat system... I think we were playing 2 or 2.5.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
:argh: NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Fair enough. If I recall, our DM avoided 3e because it wasn't newbie-friendly, I seem to recall him talking about how they ruined the feat system... I think we were playing 2 or 2.5.

AD&D 2? It's also got some problems. Anything other than combat and dungeon diving is pretty crudely bolted onto what is still, in its heart, a war game so you get Non-Weapon Proficiencies which are nonsensical or redundant. Plus it's got weird-rear end counter-intuitive mechanics like THAC0. But it's more fun than 3/3.5.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Dragon Warrior was a cool series of Nintendo Entertainment System games.

gently caress you, metal slimes/babbles.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

Welcome to Bill Mardigan's, land of smoking, riddles and horseshoes!

JESUS CHRIST! Don't you ever...EVER.... Do that again!

I poo poo my pants! I just poo poo all inside my pants!

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Haha, holy poo poo, edition wars in the Community thread.

Since we have reached this new low, might as well add my two cents. If you want to play a D&D game that's basically a complicated board game where you can chokeslam a dragon, play D&D 4E. If you want to interrogate hobgoblins and don't care about any fiddly combat poo poo, play Dungeon World.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rexides posted:

If you want to interrogate hobgoblins and don't care about any fiddly combat poo poo, play Dungeon World.

And punch them in the heart!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

AD&D 2? It's also got some problems. Anything other than combat and dungeon diving is pretty crudely bolted onto what is still, in its heart, a war game so you get Non-Weapon Proficiencies which are nonsensical or redundant. Plus it's got weird-rear end counter-intuitive mechanics like THAC0. But it's more fun than Gas Leak Edition.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I liked the old Shadowrun, where statistically a common housecat had a very good chance to kill you with a single blow.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

And punch them in the heart!

Whatever it is that they were playing in this episode was closer to Dungeon World than any edition of D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
This episode was quite funny and really flew by.

• Locked thread