Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I own the Osprey Atmos 65 and I love it. I haven't done any 3 day trips yet, but I'm sure it could handle it without a problem. My wife has a smaller Deuter and loves it. I can't remember if she's used the +10 feature or not yet, but it seems fairly useful. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd try them on and check out the pocket placement and find the one you like the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Personally I love gun chat, because it's not even a thing here. All the nice areas to hike are protected parks where guns are banned, so only legitimate hunters carry at certain times of year in places no one else wants to go. It's illegal to shoot grizzlies right now anyway. They put a ban on hunting permits a few years ago.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
TFR thinks OC is usually a dumb, stupid idea.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I can definitely see carrying a gun to be a bit pointless. However, for the couple/few people who said they've never needed their knife (even a folding knife) while camping or backpack, that may very well be the case, but are you seriously recommending that someone go camping or backpacking without a knife?

I think you'd have to be an idiot not to have a decent pocket knife. It has nothing to do with self-defense or being macho. A sharp knife is simply an exceptionally useful tool... maybe THE most useful tool. While camping, I probably use my knife two/three/half-a-dozen times per day just for mundane poo poo.

And to the person asking about a good knife, you can't go wrong with a Spyderco Native:

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Nati...spyderco+native

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Knifechat begins and ends with Moras. :colbert:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Got my rei dividend for $70 today.

It's incredible when they show you how much you spent that didn't even apply to your dividend. Dropped $1500 at rei in one year. Christ I need to stay away from that place.

The sad part is that I'm not even sure what to spend my dividend on as I don't really need anything else. I was looking at a new thicker sleeping pad so that might be next.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I don't think anyone said "don't carry a knife" we just said "you don't need a giant fuckoff knife, especially a fixed blade, unless you have a very specific purpose you know you'll be using it for"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

I don't think anyone said "don't carry a knife" we just said "you don't need a giant fuckoff knife, especially a fixed blade, unless you have a very specific purpose you know you'll be using it for"
Exactly. A quality multi-tool is one thing, a k-bar quite another.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Verman posted:

Got my rei dividend for $70 today.

It's incredible when they show you how much you spent that didn't even apply to your dividend. Dropped $1500 at rei in one year. Christ I need to stay away from that place.

The sad part is that I'm not even sure what to spend my dividend on as I don't really need anything else. I was looking at a new thicker sleeping pad so that might be next.

:eyepop: Although counting my non-REI and non-eligible purchases last year I'm probably not that great either.

You *can* always ask for the dividend in cash if you want.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
My wife and I are going backpacking in Big Bend for our anniversary this April, and her birthday is at the end of this month. I got her a 2 litre Platypus filtration system, a nice lightweight chair and a compass. I'll probably throw it all in a gift bag along with a couple maps. :)

I also got her a K-Bar and an Uzi, but I returned them after reading the last couple pages of this thread. ;)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

This two person hammock looks pretty awesome, anyone ever try one out?

I will probably not buy one since I need packs and bags this year, but I can dream.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Saw a billion posts to the thread, assumed everyone was playing show and tell over their dividend haul. Didn't we just do gunchat?

I'm another one that bleeds money when I come into contact with an REI, so got $70.00 (actually, it's $69.69 :smug:), plus I have some gift cards that I hoarded up from Christmas and my birthday. Personally I am thinking about picking up an Alite Monarch, some socks, and a bunch of new carabiners. You can never really go wrong with socks and carabiners.

pissboy
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah for Twinkies!
Somehow I have around $88 in dividends.. not sure what I need to pick up though.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

As I've gotten further and further into ultralight, nothing at REI seems worth getting anymore :(

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

BeefofAges posted:

As I've gotten further and further into ultralight, nothing at REI seems worth getting anymore :(

Not surprised.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BeefofAges posted:

REI is the gateway drug.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

evil_bunnY posted:

REI is the gateway drug.
truth

Just buy socks and underwear with your dividend.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Basically. The local e-retailer ran a 3 for 2 sale and I loving cleaned them up of smartwool socks.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm planning to pick up at least an exped pillow with my dividend, and see if there are any odds and ends that I need. REI has some lightweight stuff but if you go real ultralight then there's not a whole lot available

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Save me jeebus posted:

You can never really go wrong with socks and carabiners.

I've built my rack (what there is of it so far) essentially by tossing in a carabiner, runner, nut or screw each time I make a purchase. Slow going but doesn't break the bank.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Hmm, socks are a good idea. My favorite hiking socks are wearing a bit thin in the heels.

For underwear while hiking I exclusively wear underarmor 9 inch boxerjocks. The thigh coverage is great for keeping my thighs from chafing.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

BeefofAges posted:

Hmm, socks are a good idea. My favorite hiking socks are wearing a bit thin in the heels.

For underwear while hiking I exclusively wear underarmor 9 inch boxerjocks. The thigh coverage is great for keeping my thighs from chafing.

How durable are those boxerjocks? I'm getting in shape to do more serious hiking and definitely need some chafe-protection.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Time Cowboy posted:

How durable are those boxerjocks? I'm getting in shape to do more serious hiking and definitely need some chafe-protection.

After about a thousand miles the seams on the thighs start to split. That's about it. I also rub my thighs together more than most people due to some biomechanical weirdness. The quality of the materials and stitching is great. They don't skimp at all.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Check out this dude I saw on the way to Iron Mountain in the San Gabriel Mountains a couple weekends ago:

His camouflage was so good I couldn't see him through my camera at all. I just pointed the camera in his direction and took a bunch of photos in the hopes that one would come out okay.

Also, trail info: http://www.summitpost.org/iron-mountain-1/150975
I only made it maybe 3/4 of the way there. The farther down the trail you get, the less trail there is, and the more scrambling and bushwhacking you have to do. I'm planning to go back and try again in a few weeks.

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 24, 2014

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

BeefofAges posted:

After about a thousand miles the seams on the thighs start to split. That's about it. I also rub my thighs together more than most people due to some biomechanical weirdness. The quality of the materials and stitching is great. They don't skimp at all.

I have a biomechanical weirdness called "being a fatass," so this sounds exactly right for me. Adorable lizard, by the way!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Got my REI Flash 18 pack today and two pair of REI merino wool socks, putting me at 3 pair! I feel like I'm ready to strike out, but I'm not.

Does anyone get 'highwaters' with their hiking pants, or are baggy pants the fashionable way to traipse through the woods?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I will probably not buy one since I need packs and bags this year, but I can dream.

Which one?

In general, 2-person hammocking is more possible than you'd think (or at least more possible than I had thought). But it's still not very ideal. I slept for 3 nights on a boat in a $10ish (well, 15 BRL) fabric hammock designed for 2. It was surprisingly nice once we settled in and got comfy, the tricky part is getting there. Takes a good couple of minutes of awkward squirming to figure out the best position. And as a result, getting up to pee gets really wonky too.

No idea how any of this would change if you're looking at a hammock with an integrated bug net or something.

All in all, I'd say "worth a try, it's kinda nice, but also not super easy."
Maybe buy a cheap fabric 2-person hammock off ebay or something to test out 2-person sleeping with your friend/loved one, before you go buy a nice backpacking one?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Business of Ferrets posted:

I've built my rack (what there is of it so far) essentially by tossing in a carabiner, runner, nut or screw each time I make a purchase. Slow going but doesn't break the bank.

That was another thing I was considering: breaking into trad and building a rack :homebrew:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Joe Videogames posted:

Got my REI Flash 18 pack today and two pair of REI merino wool socks, putting me at 3 pair! I feel like I'm ready to strike out, but I'm not.

Does anyone get 'highwaters' with their hiking pants, or are baggy pants the fashionable way to traipse through the woods?

Are you a dude or a chick? Dudes wear full length trousers or shorts. Chicks can also wear capris (high-water pants).

Vaga
Feb 21, 2014

Ropes4u posted:

I use a Hennessy hammock for backpacking. I love it. The trick is you have to lay almost sideways in it which puts your body a lot flatter then if you lay inline, if that makes sense. I sleep way better in the hammock then I do on the ground, since I like to lay on my side. Also be aware that a hammock sleeps cooler then a tent, you'll still need a pad under you.

Vaga
Feb 21, 2014

Joe Videogames posted:

I always use convertible pants. I have a pair from Ex Offico that I've been using for probably 10 years, the shorts are way more sun bleached then the legs which adds to the dork factor.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

alnilam posted:

Which one?

In general, 2-person hammocking is more possible than you'd think (or at least more possible than I had thought). But it's still not very ideal. I slept for 3 nights on a boat in a $10ish (well, 15 BRL) fabric hammock designed for 2. It was surprisingly nice once we settled in and got comfy, the tricky part is getting there. Takes a good couple of minutes of awkward squirming to figure out the best position. And as a result, getting up to pee gets really wonky too.

No idea how any of this would change if you're looking at a hammock with an integrated bug net or something.

All in all, I'd say "worth a try, it's kinda nice, but also not super easy."
Maybe buy a cheap fabric 2-person hammock off ebay or something to test out 2-person sleeping with your friend/loved one, before you go buy a nice backpacking one?

Clark vertex - it's $600 so giving it a try means we are sleeping it for a long try.

http://junglehammock.com/product/vertex-with-weathershield/

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Clark vertex - it's $600 so giving it a try means we are sleeping it for a long try.

http://junglehammock.com/product/vertex-with-weathershield/

for that much money, you could have two complete separate hammock tent systems, and probably change left over. I have heard good things about hennesey hammocks, I personally use ENO stuff, and if I had it to do over a again, I would get a different type, they are fairly heavy for hammock gear, and don't pack down as small as I would like.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Wow, I got zero dividend from REI this year, which is the first year in the past 15 or so years I've been a member that has happened :feelsgood:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Discomancer posted:

Wow, I got zero dividend from REI this year, which is the first year in the past 15 or so years I've been a member that has happened :feelsgood:

If you buy anything on sale it doesnt count toward your dividend as well as certain other purchases, otherwise my dividend would have been doubled.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ReverendCode posted:

for that much money, you could have two complete separate hammock tent systems, and probably change left over. I have heard good things about hennesey hammocks, I personally use ENO stuff, and if I had it to do over a again, I would get a different type, they are fairly heavy for hammock gear, and don't pack down as small as I would like.

My wife wants the vertex because it's for two. I am going to email Hennessy and see if they are going to make a double.

Are you happier in the hammock that you were in a tent?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A double hammock for backpacking sounds like a nightmare.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I have an eno doublenest, but it's not really comfortable with two people.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Another thing with hammocks is that you need to always be in a place that you can hang a hammock. I've been to a few sites that would have been impossible to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Who has the carry the heavy double hammock?