Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jesus Christ, inhuman piece of poo poo, etc etc

Yeah he should be All Apologies for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Kurt Kobain was a huge DDP fan. He was always telling Courtney that "One of these days... BANG!"
You're so clever, you must have more brains than Kurt's garage wall.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

greatn posted:

Kurt Kobain was a huge DDP fan. He was always telling Courtney that "One of these days... BANG!"
be honest, how long were you waiting to make this joke

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Endorph posted:

be honest, how long were you waiting to make this joke

Since the Eighties.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Since the Eighties.

Esoteric as gently caress :golfclap:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's good to see more appreciation for Raven's theme.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
1/20/97 Observer quotes:

quote:

Jim Duggan came out next and made some remarks about Sting, and then Sting came out and gave him the reverse DDT (called the Scorpion death drop--at least they give it a name) and was supposed to leave Duggan laying. At least that's how the commentators were selling it, the only problem was that Duggan got right back up and was marching around the ring as they were saying it.

Watching that a couple months ago made me hate Duggan even more.

quote:

Throughout the show they built up that they would have a Hogan vs. Giant match. This was just a TNT ratings ploy to artificially build up ratings for the debut of Robin Hood that followed. The match began only 1:00 before they went off the air, which was all stalling. The match itself only went 3:00 before the NWO interfered for the DQ but Giant basically held them all off and ran them all off by himself (Hall & Nash weren't part of the package here as they used only the NWO jobber type guys like Bubba, Bagwell, Vincent, imposter Sting, etc). They went off the air acting as if instead of commercials, during the breaks in Robin Hood they'd air the match. Anyway, during the first break in Robin Hood they instead aired commercials although did say they would go back to wrestling during the second break. During the second break they went back for 30 seconds and pretended they were live in New Orleans (by this time the match had been over for more than 20 minutes) and left still in progress and again showed all the commercials. During the third break, they didn't air any wrestling and instead announced that the conclusion of the match would air during the fourth break. About 40 minutes into the show, they went back for another 30 seconds airing the conclusion acting as if Hogan and Giant had been out there for 45 minutes having this all-time classic match, even though neither had yet to break a sweat. We received a ton of complaining phone calls and faxes about the sleazy method TNT used to artificially spike the ratings of Robin Hood and work their wrestling fans.

quote:

There was no disciplinary action taken in the deal with Scott Hall and Jerry Sags from Shreveport. Hall had one tooth knocked out, two teeth loosened, a black eye and we also heard a report of a broken eardrum. He had oral surgery and wasn't expected to return at Nitro this week but was there and actually on camera looked to have healed pretty well from everything. Depending upon company politics in that the Nasty Boys are in the Hogan camp but Hall & Nash have their friends as well, kind of says which side the wrestlers shaded the story of the incident. Those defending Sags blame Hall for throwing the chair at a guy who just had a concussion and those defending Hall say Sags was totally unprofessional and should have been fired. As the story goes, Nash after the match went with a baseball bat and confronted them but nothing but words were thrown. The story then goes that Bischoff would have fired Sags but Hall felt that Hogan would hold a grudge against them for it and get them back at some point if they were responsible for his friend getting fired. The incident was hinted at on 1/13 Nitro which almost makes me think they are going to try and turn it into an angle or maybe, because this is Bischoff, that it was an angle to start with although I'm of the belief the latter probably isn't the case.

quote:

Rey Misterio Jr. blew out his knee on 1/8 in Gainesville, GA in a TV match against Chavo Guerrero Jr. With all the crazy stuff he does, isn't it ironic that he simply did an easy somersault that anyone could do, but somehow caught his leg on the rope and the knee went out. The injury was said to have been serious. He had an MRI done over the weekend and the doctors examined his knees (and remember this guy pounds his knees big-time on a regular basis and simply ignores the pain and wrestles the next day) and shock of all shocks both had pretty significant damage.

I need to see this episode of Saturday night:

quote:

Eddie Guerrero double count out Syxx in a 2:00 ladder match. I've got a feeling watching a ladder match go to a double count out in that short a time on TV will make me want to spend $27.95 to see them have a rematch.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MassRafTer posted:

I need to see this episode of Saturday night:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9u3ji_eddie-guerrero-brawls-with-syxx_sport

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

1/20/97 Observer quotes:
we also heard a report of a broken eardrum.

:jerkbag:

I wouldn't have expected Mysterio's knees to be that bad so early in his career; I figured maybe being smaller would put less strain on them but I guess they can't take as much as someone bigger either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Joeslop posted:

I wouldn't have expected Mysterio's knees to be that bad so early in his career; I figured maybe being smaller would put less strain on them but I guess they can't take as much as someone bigger either.

Jericho's heel run really starts to gain steam when he's the one who puts Rey out so he can get surgery for his knees, and that takes him out for about seven months in 98. Until 2010 or so, his WWE run was much healthier than his WCW run.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Duggan is the worst and seeing him tape up his fist mid-match to punch people as a finishing move is infuriating. It's even worse that he sometimes takes care to do it behind the ref's back as if taping your fists is illegal. He doesn't even really tape them! He just spins a roll of tape around a couple times and it's usually left hanging off

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Okay, what? I get the start, with Eddie jumping at SyxX-Pac or whatever, great, their feuding, he wants his belt back, and the spot looked pretty good. Did the match even start? If it did, what were they going to try to get hold of, given Syxx had the belt when Eddie jumped him?

I suppose it could be there was no match at all, getting thrown out with the brawl, but then it's just pointless and doesn't achieve anything that Eddie attacking Syxx elsewhere wouldn't do. Besides obviously bait-and-switching a ladder match. I'm guessing it's this or WCW being WCW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

oatgan posted:

Duggan is the worst and seeing him tape up his fist mid-match to punch people as a finishing move is infuriating. It's even worse that he sometimes takes care to do it behind the ref's back as if taping your fists is illegal. He doesn't even really tape them! He just spins a roll of tape around a couple times and it's usually left hanging off
Did somebody decide a roll of quarters or brass knucks wasn't visible enough?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Did somebody decide a roll of quarters or brass knucks wasn't visible enough?

He's a babyface and those things are actually illegal

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

He's a babyface and those things are actually illegal

Taped Fist IS illegal. Duggan got DQed against Regal in a TV Title match because of the taped fist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

Taped Fist IS illegal. Duggan got DQed against Regal in a TV Title match because of the taped fist.
Now that's irony.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If you don't care about Colt Cabana you should check out his podcast this week. It had a sober, slightly brain fried, Buff Bagwell. It's a doozy.

Topics:
-shooting his dad
-missy Hyatt stalking him
-almost shooting Eddie Gilbert
-male stripping
-drugs

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Watched ahead of the Tuesday Night Nitro to check out Slamboree 1997, aka the show that has 3 current or former professional football players on the card. It's definitely not a big PPV, and has a Clash sort of feel, but I still kind of enjoyed it. Regal and Ultimo Dragon have an awesome match, where the crowd gets really behind Regal halfway through, and both guys appear to leave as faces, Mysterio has a decent little throw-away match with a Japanese guy, Malenko and Jarrett have a fun little match, and Benoit and Meng have a pretty underrated brawl. Watching all this old WCW has really given me a new appreciation for guys like Meng. Idiots like Scott Keith acted like Meng was this total waste of space, but the dude could make it look like he was really hurting guys in a way that got everybody over. WCW has a deep enough roster that it can make a guy that's never going to win the world title still seem like a big, scary dude that nobody wants to mess with.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
My lasting memory of Scott Keith is that picture of him holding his book and a Cheeto stain on his shirt.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That and his big 50s game show host hair.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He's fat!

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

I beat him before I beat him again. He's still a fat bastard.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

laz0rbeak posted:

the dude could make it look like he was really hurting guys

...generally because he was really hurting guys. Also, when Meng was bad and/or lazy, the matches were awful, and he was lazy pretty often.

Whatever, I like him anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I like Meng, but he existed to crush cruiserweights and then to never get a real push so it was frustrating to watch.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I like Meng, but he existed to crush cruiserweights and then to never get a real push so it was frustrating to watch.

That said, if you didn't pop when when Meng said "Goldberg must die, so that Meng may live", get the gently caress outta town.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He was very much Monster of the Midcard. He'd never touch the main event, but he'd pretty much squash anyone who wasn't main event. And then he'd sneak out wins on Sting and Luger just for fun.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I hated Meng. All of his offense was chops and punches and all he ever did was beat Jerry Flynn every week, then Tongan Death Grip like, nine security guards while opening his mouth and nodding his head like crazy.

I keep hearing he was better before I started watching, but in 98 he was godawful and his finisher is stupid.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Tongan Death Grip... crazy.

Say what you want, the Tongan Death Grip was the most rad thing ever. I loved Meng when I was watchin' WCW, and that was like half the reason why.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rotinaj posted:

Say what you want, the Tongan Death Grip was the most rad thing ever. I loved Meng when I was watchin' WCW, and that was like half the reason why.
This is really polarizing, and that's shocking to me. It'd be like finding out that a ton of people think Mongo was the greatest technical wrestler ever. I just can't get how anybody would think choking a guy with one hand and going spastic is an awesome finisher.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He once did it to Dusty Rhodes after Dusty had literally broken a chair over his head. Best finisher ever. :colbert:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Joeslop posted:

his knees were messed up as early as when he debuted for ECW in 1995. it seemed like he was always doing bad landings and grabbing them immediately afterwards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

This is really polarizing, and that's shocking to me. It'd be like finding out that a ton of people think Mongo was the greatest technical wrestler ever. I just can't get how anybody would think choking a guy with one hand and going spastic is an awesome finisher.

If Steve Regal did it it'd be dumb, but a guy who was pushed as a superhuman killer? I can buy him being able to gently caress me up by grabbing my throat and squeezing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

If Steve Regal did it it'd be dumb, but a guy who was pushed as a superhuman killer? I can buy him being able to gently caress me up by grabbing my throat and squeezing.
That's the thing, though. It'd totally work in real life, but so would the Brogue kick, hear punch, and knockout punch. It doesn't stop me from thinking they're incredibly dumb-looking finishers.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

That's the thing, though. It'd totally work in real life, but so would the Brogue kick, hear punch, and knockout punch. It doesn't stop me from thinking they're incredibly dumb-looking finishers.

yo the brogue kick is an awesome finisher and so is the tongan death grip

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

That's the thing, though. It'd totally work in real life, but so would the...heart punch... It doesn't stop me from thinking they're incredibly dumb-looking finishers.

I'm not sure that's a thing unless you're Ox Baker and two guys just happen to die a few days after taking your finisher.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Xerzes posted:

I'm not sure that's a thing unless you're Ox Baker and two guys just happen to die a few days after taking your finisher.

I'll have you know Andre died of a body slam, and it only took a few years days.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Well, I made the questionable decision on catching up on this thread during the weekend... all 200 pages I hadn't read yet. Remembering about 65% of this bullshit over the years really doesn't help alleviate the laughter followed by crippling crippling depression induced by all this fuckery. Not having really watched wrestling in the last 5-6 years, although keeping my ear to the ground for poo poo here and there, I think i'm ready to start my Hall-esque wagon tumble back into carny world. Seeing as easing into something never helped anybody I can't think of a better way than to faceplant into the dumbest bullshit. I know I didn't miss the Russo poo poo yet as that's a couple years down the line but i'm blanking on the timeframe of poo poo like Hogan/Piper cage matches and poo poo like that. Did I miss it?

Old poo poo

Red posted:

I'm remembering highlights of a game where Malone did the diamond cutter sign. Different game, or garbled memory?

I don't remember where but I believe it was DDP on one of those WWE dvd's saying that he had gone to a game the Utah Jazz were playing and apparently someone nudged Malone all "That's DDP up there" and Malone flashed him the Diamond Cutter cue mid-game. Apparently they talked after and that's that.

bobkatt013 posted:

You also have the time that he was pulled from No Mercy and his storyline was given to Stevie Richards.

That was the craziest thing to come across back when that came out. Especially since, if I remember right, they still kept Big Show's taunts and his 'Big Nasty Bastard' shirt in the game so you could just make him yourself. It's funny to think that THQ gave Stevie Richards the biggest push he's ever had.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

LividLiquid posted:

It'd totally work in real life

Yeah, problem is, I don't think what Meng would do in real-life fights would be allowed as a finisher, or in pro wrestling, or on live TV, or allowed without being arrested anywhere that wasn't a bar filled with drunken idiots. Plus eventually all the jobbers in WCW would run out of eyes, what with us only having two and all.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
If you start going by what would work best IRL, New Jack had the best in-ring 'finisher': stabbing his opponent several times with a knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I had a dream once where Kevin Nash pulled out a derringer and shot Goldberg in the chest while the reef wasn't looking, but Goldberg kicked out and Tony Schiavone lost his loving mind.