Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Spudalicious posted:

I fixed it, I think. We were having weirdness with OWA, so I found a guide on a technet forum post that basically said to disable forms-based authentication for the ecp, EWS, and owa IIS applications. To do so, you go to IIS Manager - Default site - [ecp, EWS, owa] - Authentication - Forms Authentication - Disabled. It fixed the osx outlook issue because osx outlook uses EWS to get email :downs:

Thanking you for posting a detailed fix. Hate when someone posts a problem then responds with "nm, fixed it" but doesn't share the step by step knowledge.

Also, gently caress forms based auth in Exchange. I have come across that before and it is always wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem

Syano posted:

We went through and updated our mail servers along with all our RDP servers this morning by installing the new certificate. Still have a lot of clients with the same issue. Any clues?

Could some of the clients have the old intermediate certificate installed locally? That would probably take precedence over the certificate chain on the Exchange server.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
No clue what the deal was. I actually opened a support ticket with Comodo and they recommended reissuing the certificate so that the chain was fresh. We did that and ended up completely rebuilding our PKI. Kinda sucks too because now we have thousands of remote apps in the field signed with the old certificate. Doesnt prevent the user from working but the pop up telling somone they have a bad cert has generated a lot of noise for our help desk

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

metallyca posted:

I was under the impression though that when you run Exchange setup it automatically did this anyway.

Yeah it definitely does do this. When I was messing around with it in my lab, I intentionally didn't run the commands and the setup realizes this and runs it anyway.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Hello,

Someone might be able to help with this.

There are 5 resource mailboxes set up at a company. A user is receiving all meeting request notifications for those meeting rooms.

Originally he was not a delegate for those rooms. He had "editor" level permissions for the calendars.

To troubleshoot, I manually added him as a delegate, but specifically unticked the "Send meeting notifications to this delegate" option. He is still getting notifications. We've bumped him down to "reviewer" level permissions but no joy.

He does have Full Access granted through the EMC to the mailbox; could this be what's causing it? It does make sense I guess, but everywhere I've googled has just pointed straight to delegate access.

I did consider it was maybe his Outlook client not losing a cached rule or something - But he's using Mail for Mac.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Hello,

Someone might be able to help with this.

There are 5 resource mailboxes set up at a company. A user is receiving all meeting request notifications for those meeting rooms.

Originally he was not a delegate for those rooms. He had "editor" level permissions for the calendars.

To troubleshoot, I manually added him as a delegate, but specifically unticked the "Send meeting notifications to this delegate" option. He is still getting notifications. We've bumped him down to "reviewer" level permissions but no joy.

He does have Full Access granted through the EMC to the mailbox; could this be what's causing it? It does make sense I guess, but everywhere I've googled has just pointed straight to delegate access.

I did consider it was maybe his Outlook client not losing a cached rule or something - But he's using Mail for Mac.

You may want to check the automatic processing for the calendar if it's turned on, as that has a forward to delegates option.

2010/2013: Get-CalendarProcessing <resource mailbox> | fl ForwardRequestsToDelegates
2007: Get-MailboxCalendarSettings <resource mailbox> | fl ForwardRequestsToDelegates

Set to false if enabled and that may fix the problem.

If you're on 2003 you'll want to use an older Outlook client (or VB script if unavailable) and check the automatic processing options.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any tips for exporting mailboxes? I've got a user where I just can't export all her mail (we need to export it to upload to our new Exchange server, which is hosted). It will go for an hour or two then just do the whole 'Outlook is not responding' deal and the export progress grays out.

I've tried a filter on the export so that it only dumps out a years worth of email but still freezes up.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Bob Morales posted:

Any tips for exporting mailboxes? I've got a user where I just can't export all her mail (we need to export it to upload to our new Exchange server, which is hosted). It will go for an hour or two then just do the whole 'Outlook is not responding' deal and the export progress grays out.

I've tried a filter on the export so that it only dumps out a years worth of email but still freezes up.

What exchange server do you have, 2003, 2007 or 2010?

Will Styles posted:

You may want to check the automatic processing for the calendar if it's turned on, as that has a forward to delegates option.

2010/2013: Get-CalendarProcessing <resource mailbox> | fl ForwardRequestsToDelegates
2007: Get-MailboxCalendarSettings <resource mailbox> | fl ForwardRequestsToDelegates

Set to false if enabled and that may fix the problem.

If you're on 2003 you'll want to use an older Outlook client (or VB script if unavailable) and check the automatic processing options.

Thanks Will, I ran that command (Exch2010) and it reported that the default setting was "True" - So I'll look at setting it to false for the mailboxes he's having troubles with :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

What exchange server do you have, 2003, 2007 or 2010?

None right now - this is straight out of Outlook 2007

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Bob Morales posted:

None right now - this is straight out of Outlook 2007

If it's just in Outlook and Outlook hasn't been connected to an Exchange server yet, the mail should already be in PST form, should it not?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TKovacs2 posted:

If it's just in Outlook and Outlook hasn't been connected to an Exchange server yet, the mail should already be in PST form, should it not?

Right - but for some reason AppRiver told us to export the mail, then import THAT PST file. I asked about it earlier and didn't get a response why they don't just want us importing the existing file.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Time for the Exchange SP3 and RU5 installation tonight!

This poo poo is going to take forever. 3 nodes in a Neverfail cluster active/passive/passive.

1.) Dismount the mailbox DB, disable re-mount on startup.
2.) Patch primary.
3.) Disable neverfail on primary.
4.) Make secondary active.
5.) Patch secondary.
6.) Disable neverfail on secondary.
7.) Make tertiary active.
8.) Patch tertiary.
9.) Enable neverfail on primary.
10.) Bring up services on primary. Remount database. Enable re-mount on startup.
11.) Enable neverfail everywhere else.

poo poo's going to take hours with downtime. :smithicide:

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Right - but for some reason AppRiver told us to export the mail, then import THAT PST file. I asked about it earlier and didn't get a response why they don't just want us importing the existing file.

Gonna sound weird, but why not just tell them that the original PST file is results of their direction? I can't fathom a reason why the original PST wouldn't be uploadable into their setup.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TKovacs2 posted:

Gonna sound weird, but why not just tell them that the original PST file is results of their direction? I can't fathom a reason why the original PST wouldn't be uploadable into their setup.

I'm running SCANPST (which found errors) and once that's done with the repair I'm just going to upload it.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Time for the Exchange SP3 and RU5 installation tonight!

poo poo's going to take hours with downtime. :smithicide:

Why not patch the passive nodes to avoid any downtime? Never worked with neverfail, does it require you to patch the active node?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Will Styles posted:

Why not patch the passive nodes to avoid any downtime? Never worked with neverfail, does it require you to patch the active node?

Yeah it kills network connectivity to all passive nodes. The SP installs require AD connectivity. So, the only way to patch them is to up the nodes, then down them again.

:edit: You should see their Windows Update procedures. Jesus. No WSUS for you.

:Much later edit: I'm now 6 hours in on this upgrade. Fun stuff happens with this Neverfail bullshit. SP3 makes schema/ADSI changes that will cause the installer to error out on other nodes if it sees them in AD. So you have to time your installs precisely or they'll all fail (or you do a lot of blind ADSI deletes/adds/deletes/adds).

Every time SP3 install fails, you start allllllll over again. With a reboot for good measure, of course.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 19, 2014

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just updated exchange 2013 to SP1 and ran into this huge headache which basically amounts to, don't do the install via powershell.

This is what was happening when running in powershell
code:
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\administrator.CPFCU> cd C:\files\exchange2013sp1
PS C:\files\exchange2013sp1> setup.exe /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Cumulative Update 3 Unattended Setup

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Prerequisite Analysis                                                                             COMPLETED

Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server

Organization Preparation                                                                          COMPLETED

The Exchange Server setup operation completed successfully.
PS C:\files\exchange2013sp1> setup.exe /mode:upgrade /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Cumulative Update 3 Unattended Setup
Languages
Mailbox role: Transport service
Client Access role: Front End Transport service
Mailbox role: Client Access service
Mailbox role: Unified Messaging service
Mailbox role: Mailbox service
Management tools
Client Access role: Client Access Front End service

Configuring Prerequisites                                                                         COMPLETED
    Prerequisite Analysis                                                                             COMPLETED

Language Files                                                                                    COMPLETED
    Restoring Services                                                                                COMPLETED
    Language Configuration                                                                            COMPLETED
    Mailbox role: Transport service                                                                   COMPLETED
    Client Access role: Front End Transport service                                                   COMPLETED
    Mailbox role: Client Access service                                                               COMPLETED
    Mailbox role: Unified Messaging service                                                           COMPLETED
    Mailbox role: Mailbox service                                                                     FAILED
     The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
          Install-MsiPackage `
            -PackagePath ([System.IO.Path]::Combine($RoleLanguagePacksPath, "Setup\ServerRoles\UnifiedMessaging\MSSpeech
_SR_TELE.ca-ES.msi")) `
            -PropertyValues ("ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1 ALLUSERS=1") `
            -LogFile ([System.IO.Path]::Combine($RoleSetupLoggingPath, "InstallSpeech-ca-ES.msilog"))
        " was run: "Couldn't open package 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\bin\Setup\ServerRoles\UnifiedM
essaging\MSSpeech_SR_TELE.ca-ES.msi'. This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and
that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package. Erro
r code is 1619.".

The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found in ExchangeSetup.log located in the
<SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.
PS C:\files\exchange2013sp1>
After google searching for awhile I found someone that was having the same exact issue. Turns out just running it from cmd prompt instead fixes whatever issue it was having.

Just a heads up.

code:
C:\files\exchange2013sp1>setup /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /m:upgrade

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Service Pack 1 Unattended Setup
Copying Files...
File copy complete. Setup will now collect additional information needed for
installation.
Languages
Mailbox role: Transport service
Client Access role: Front End Transport service
Mailbox role: Client Access service
Mailbox role: Unified Messaging service
Mailbox role: Mailbox service
Management tools
Client Access role: Client Access Front End service

Configuring Prerequisites                                 COMPLETED
    Prerequisite Analysis                                     COMPLETED

Organization Preparation                                  COMPLETED
    Preparing Setup                                           COMPLETED
    Stopping Services                                         COMPLETED
    Language Files                                            COMPLETED
    Removing Exchange Files                                   COMPLETED
    Preparing Files                                           COMPLETED
    Copying Exchange Files                                    COMPLETED
    Language Files                                            COMPLETED
    Restoring Services                                        COMPLETED
    Language Configuration                                    COMPLETED
    Mailbox role: Transport service                           COMPLETED
    Client Access role: Front End Transport service           COMPLETED
    Mailbox role: Client Access service                       COMPLETED
    Mailbox role: Unified Messaging service                   COMPLETED
    Mailbox role: Mailbox service                             COMPLETED
    Exchange Management Tools                                 COMPLETED
    Client Access role: Client Access Front End service       COMPLETED
    Finalizing Setup                                          COMPLETED

The Exchange Server setup operation completed successfully.

C:\files\exchange2013sp1>

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 20, 2014

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Is there anything I should do besides removing and re-adding an account if a phone repeatedly fails to sync all appointments? I turned off calendar sync and re-enabled it last week (a Samsung Galaxy Note S3) which solved the issue then, however apparently the user has seemingly random appointments not show up on the calendar.

The mailbox is massive and it's the president of the company. He doesn't want to archive anything.

This is on Exchange 2010, hosted on-site.

e: Nevermind, dude had a "Master Sync" setting flipped off that's tucked away in the notifications area. Sigh...

goobernoodles fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 22, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Check to see if the user is part of the built in NT accounts - Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins, etc.

The Exchange 2010 permission structure doesn't handle users in the Domain Administrators groups to well, resulting in OWA/ActiveSync problems.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Cavepimp posted:

What is everyone doing for spam filtering these days? We've been using Barracuda's hosted service but it's not very configurable/teachable and it's letting a lot more crap through than we'd like.

Spamtitan and Mimecast keep coming up in our research as pretty solid, and we'd like to stay with a hosted service if possible.

As much as I liked Mimecast, we ended up switching to SpamTitan yesterday and I like it so far. It might not be the slickest, but it's light years ahead of the hosted Barracuda service that served me up this gem as a going away present.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Barracuda is literally the worst.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Even they didn't think I should renew.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Cavepimp posted:

As much as I liked Mimecast, we ended up switching to SpamTitan yesterday and I like it so far. It might not be the slickest, but it's light years ahead of the hosted Barracuda service that served me up this gem as a going away present.

Are you using the hosted version of SpamTitan? If so, I wouldn't mind an update after a couple weeks to see how it's working out. I've been thinking of switching to them so I can finally get rid of our local MailMarhsal install (there's no way any spam filter is worse than this app), and they're at the top of my list.

The main reason they're at the top is that they actually have pricing on their site, unlike virtually every other hosted email filter. I don't want to email someone for a quote, just so they can spam me for eternity with a bunch of things I'm not interested in. Also like the fact it's just a flat rate per year based 50/100/250/etc users, instead of the annoying $/each user/month fee.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Barracuda is literally the worst.

When we were looking at hosted Exchange providers, MailMax blocked messages from EVERY SINGLE ONE

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

JBark posted:

Are you using the hosted version of SpamTitan? If so, I wouldn't mind an update after a couple weeks to see how it's working out. I've been thinking of switching to them so I can finally get rid of our local MailMarhsal install (there's no way any spam filter is worse than this app), and they're at the top of my list.

The main reason they're at the top is that they actually have pricing on their site, unlike virtually every other hosted email filter. I don't want to email someone for a quote, just so they can spam me for eternity with a bunch of things I'm not interested in. Also like the fact it's just a flat rate per year based 50/100/250/etc users, instead of the annoying $/each user/month fee.

Yep, we're on the hosted dedicated appliance. I'll write up my impressions after a couple weeks, but so far so good.

I will say you can get a lot better deal going through sales. He was a bit obnoxious but I got a significant discount over the online price by being difficult right back at him.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
What's everyone doing for on-premises SOX-compliant archving these days? 2010 and 2013-native archiving doesn't fit the "no delete" bill.

Right now we're using GWAVA RETAIN with a Journaling mailbox (PSTs disabled by GPO), but we're looking to find a different vendor.

My list of candidates right now are:

• Symantec Enterprise Vault
  • Barracuda Message Archiver
  • GFI Mail Archiver

But these options don't make me very happy for the future. Any suggestions?

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 24, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mimecast?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
GFI Mail Archive has been pretty good, we have about twenty of them at various client locations and I've never run into any show-stopper problems.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

What's everyone doing for on-premises SOX-compliant archving these days? 2010 and 2013-native archiving doesn't fit the "no delete" bill.

Right now we're using GWAVA RETAIN with a Journaling mailbox (PSTs disabled by GPO), but we're looking to find a different vendor.

• GFI Mail Archiver

Last gig used Enterprise Vault. Good product but the compliance/discovery group had their heads up their asses.

Current gig uses HP Autonomy's Zantaz off site journaling solution.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

• GFI Mail Archiver

When you say the "no delete" bill, wouldn't placing all mailboxes under litigation hold effectively prevent any mail from ever being truly deleted?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gyshall posted:

GFI Mail Archive has been pretty good, we have about twenty of them at various client locations and I've never run into any show-stopper problems.

This has been out experience as well, with SOX compliant environments too.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

TKovacs2 posted:

When you say the "no delete" bill, wouldn't placing all mailboxes under litigation hold effectively prevent any mail from ever being truly deleted?

The org wants us to replicate Groupwise behavior as closely as possible. Groupwise and RETAIN had a trick where you were unable to delete items until the item was flagged-as-archived (usually within 24 hours). You can't do that in Exchange, but users still want to be able to delete their stuff when they're done (plus a 250-day retention policy).

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
I am happy with GFI. the support has been good.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Cavepimp posted:

As much as I liked Mimecast, we ended up switching to SpamTitan yesterday and I like it so far.

Why did you switch? Just curious as I'm currently running a POC for our organisation with Mimecast (5000-6000 users globally) and it seems light years ahead of Symantec's offering. Wouldn't mind hearing some criticism of the product to save me potential headaches down the road.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

NoArmedMan posted:

Why did you switch? Just curious as I'm currently running a POC for our organisation with Mimecast (5000-6000 users globally) and it seems light years ahead of Symantec's offering. Wouldn't mind hearing some criticism of the product to save me potential headaches down the road.

We switched from Barracuda to SpamTitan. Mimecast was one of the others we were looking at, and it looks fantastic. I'm just in a budget-constrained environment that will likely want to do archiving in-house, so it didn't pencil out.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So we're still in the middle of a staged Office 365 migration and I'm now moving the equipment and rooms to resources on Office 365. We're migrating from 2003 so we didn't have resource mailboxes before, they were actual users in AD and user mailboxes. So, instead of migrating I just created new resources on the Office 365 console and now I want to delete the resource users from our AD. What will happen to calendar items that these users are already scheduled for? Will they disappear or stay for legacy?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

This has been out experience as well, with SOX compliant environments too.

This. All around good experience with GFI MailArchiver. Used it for legal retention reasons.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

KennyTheFish posted:

I am happy with GFI. the support has been good.

I'm happy with GFI MailArchiver, though I think their support can be pretty lovely sometimes. I opened a ticket about a bug where the advanced search criteria reset for an undetermined reason, and their support staff closed it and said "That's the way it's supposed to work. You can submit an enhancement request to not have the search criteria reset randomly."

Great, thanks guys.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The MSP I work for just sold a client an O365 migration and we are going to use SkyKick. What should I start reading up on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

The MSP I work for just sold a client an O365 migration and we are going to use SkyKick. What should I start reading up on?

We use MigrationWiz all the time. Haven't used SkyKick but it can be much different. Put in the right information and go town.