Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Levantine posted:

I never did get Tidus' ultimate weapon in the original release because i just could not beat 0.0.0 on the race. I could get 0.0.0 but never beat it.

Getting Caladbolg itself just requires winning the race; time is irrelevent there. For the sigil, you probably did get below 0.0.0 but the problem is you need to know based on your balloon/bird count and your initial time. It will never tell you that you get a sub-0 time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Just wanted to chime in and say that you can pick up Valefors second overdrive pretty much straight away. Just walk up the hill after first leaving the village and watch the cutscene near the pillar/savesphere, turn around and head back to the village, girl in shop, dog etc. You can get it before you ever use Valefor in battle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seejay posted:

My only real worry is that her hp is kinda low. Luckily she starts with a few hp spheres near her and I've grabbed a couple already. I wouldn't mind her having more, but I suppose that's always the case before max.

She doesn't need HP. She's so fast that you can usually swap her in and out before most monsters have a chance to attack, and anything that is fast enough usually doesn't do much damage.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that you can pick up Valefors second overdrive pretty much straight away. Just walk up the hill after first leaving the village and watch the cutscene near the pillar/savesphere, turn around and head back to the village, girl in shop, dog etc. You can get it before you ever use Valefor in battle.

You don't even need to go all that way. When the cutscene dumps you outside the village, you can just waltz the two steps back in, talk to the shop girl, and get it.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Vil posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't backtrack into cloisters of trials to give destruction sphere treasures another shot, until the late-game, however. I think you get one or another bullshit excuse of why you can't re-enter, for each temple.

That said, this falls under the case of "if you don't mind not getting Anima until you've beaten Dark Valefor and/or Dark Shiva" depending on what you missed. Granted, Anima's a more compelling motivation than Auron's last overdrive. In the original, this was no big deal - the ability to redo the trials came at the same point in the plot as the ability to get Anima in the first place, so whatever.

Making Dark Valefor, Dark Shiva, and Dark Bahamut unavoidable fights (adding insult to injury, in places you'd actually potentially have reason to visit anyway) is not exactly the best design decision in the world, when it comes to "how to implement difficult optional content". The others are better in that you can absolutely avoid them if you want to.

You can backtrack to the Besaid Cloister of Trials and Kilik's at any point after you finish up the events in Luca up to Macalania Agency. Now if you miss Macalania's destruction sphere, you are well and properly screwed because Dark Shiva is one of the stronger Dark Aeons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just chiming in to say gently caress the haters, Khimari 4 lyfe! I'm just at the Djose Highroad and he hasn't dropped off yet. He is fast enough to hit wolves and lizards, strong enough to kill armored dudes, and has Scan. I've just gone clockwise around Ultima to grab jinx and now I'm wondering what to do with him, but at no point does he feel useless.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Just chiming in to say gently caress the haters, Khimari 4 lyfe! I'm just at the Djose Highroad and he hasn't dropped off yet. He is fast enough to hit wolves and lizards, strong enough to kill armored dudes, and has Scan. I've just gone clockwise around Ultima to grab jinx and now I'm wondering what to do with him, but at no point does he feel useless.

Are you using the Expert Grid? That seems to give him some much needed flexibility he was lacking in vanilla FFX.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Levantine posted:

Are you using the Expert Grid? That seems to give him some much needed flexibility he was lacking in vanilla FFX.

Wasn't the expert grid in the original? I am sure that was an option when I first bought it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

jtm33 posted:

Wasn't the expert grid in the original? I am sure that was an option when I first bought it.

Expert's in International, Pal and HD versions.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Expert's in International, Pal and HD versions.

Ahh that explains it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bust Rodd posted:

Where did you get a Lv4 Key Sphere that early? I thought you could only get those by bribing certain monsters or out of very lategame treasure chests? I could swear it wasn't in the Blitzball prize pool.

e: I misread, you don't have Ultima yet. You see how you're wondering what to do with him now that you've cleared out his little ring in the middle? Have fun feeling like this for the rest of the entire game.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

The thing is, his high base stats drop off after a while and he has to go travel in another character's grids, which have horribly low stat gains for the first part. Without a Friend Sphere or such, he's going to be a sort of awkward hybrid Auron/Tidus/whatever you send him towards with a lot less focus, and in a game where you can hotswap party members, versatility isn't exactly a big selling point.

There's a reason the consensus route on Kimahri is to send him down Rikku's stuff. Her primary selling points are right there at the start, she's got a bundle of HP that nominally helps her stay alive when she rejoins but turns whoever else travels there to a bit of a tank, and Steal and Use are completely stat agnostic, as well as being a set of abilities you have absolutely no problem doubling up on.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Something I never noticed until the HD version: was Auron always hiding a ponytail underneath that collar? It's draped over his "bad" shoulder and you can only see it close up and from certain angles. I've beaten the PS2 version at least five times and never noticed it before. Changes my entire perception of the man. I want to give it a pass on the grounds of him being a former monk, but now all I can see is "middle aged man with a ponytail hanging out with a bunch of people half his age." Like he's going through some sort of midpost-life crisis.

I'm also just now noticing the fish pattern in Wakka's headband, but that one's kind of neat.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

Something I never noticed until the HD version: was Auron always hiding a ponytail underneath that collar? It's draped over his "bad" shoulder and you can only see it close up and from certain angles. I've beaten the PS2 version at least five times and never noticed it before. Changes my entire perception of the man. I want to give it a pass on the grounds of him being a former monk, but now all I can see is "middle aged man with a ponytail hanging out with a bunch of people half his age." Like he's going through some sort of midpost-life crisis.

I'm also just now noticing the fish pattern in Wakka's headband, but that one's kind of neat.

His menu portrait has the ponytail pretty clearly. It was always there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah; I just crushed the Voltron Sinspawn in Operation Mi'En and went to bed but Khimari absolutely hits as hard as Wakka and harder than Auron. I'm really good about switching in every dude for every fight and I won the storyline blitzball game and it only felt right giving the Str sphere to Wakka so he is absolutely a monster at this point in the game. I have not done any grinding outside of walking up and down the Mi'En highroad back and forth one time and Special-K is holding his own. I imagine that I'm gonna have to find a set-up of Weapon/Armor/Overdrive mode that constantly fills his drive bar to get the most out of his blue magic.

As for what's next, 11 year old me had a pretty solid line of reasoning for the gang that still holds up for me today:
Tidus longs for a father figure and so follows in Wakka's footsteps, then Auron's as we hit endgame, favoring the wisdom of the latter over the bravado of the former.
Yuna Picks up some powerful charms from Lulu, but ultimately can't resist learning a thing or two about thieving from her cousin.
Wakka wants only to devote himself to being a guardian now, so he'll just chug along Auron's sphere grid to learn the master guardian's special techniques.
Lulu's icy heart softens as the game goes on, so eventually she'll learn to use her love and devotion to her friends to fuel white magic like Yuna but takes a hard dive to Ultima as soon as she loving can.
Auron learns to calm down and not take his life so seriously (snicker), allowing Tidus to rub off on him a little, quickening his pace and loosening his joints.
Khimari does his loop, then goes down the Wakka path because they have trained together a lot, then Auron's path so he just one shots trash mobs for the rest of the game.
Rikku's Sphere Grid has one sphere and it says "THROW poo poo @ MONSTERS!!!!!1!!!eleven!!"

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 24, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got a game mechanics question for X-2.

One of the things most agree on here is that they love the battle system but I'm re-watching the T40s LP of X-2 and while they do decidedly not try and thus suck at the game, are their complaints about the "cue system" valid? For example, see the fight with the Magus Sisters. Kuvo talks about how each character has a full bar for a long, long time but they won't go. Alchemist Rikku has her Mega-Potion ready forever but it just won't happen.

It's an absurdly easy game if you even vaguely know what you're doing so that doesn't even matter but is it a legit flaw in the game's combat?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Yes. It reminds me a lot of IX, where only certain animations can stack up at the same time, and so whenever magic especially is being used, the ATB slows to a crawl because only one effect can resolve at a time. Also a character's attacks can't start if they're being targeted by a enemy. This can be especially problematic with the chain system in the game, when chains can be broken because a enemy targeted one of your characters or a spell was cast or something.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is there anything that I can miss in FFX that will gently caress me over later in the game? I know that this version apparently has super bosses and such. I just finished Kilika and I got the Jecht Shot.

Also, just noticed that Yuna has heterochromaty. That's neat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

Rikku's Sphere Grid has one sphere and it says "THROW poo poo @ MONSTERS!!!!!1!!!eleven!!"

Expert Grid Rikku also steals the best White and Black magic spells before Yuna or Lulu get to them.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Is there anything that I can miss in FFX that will gently caress me over later in the game? I know that this version apparently has super bosses and such. I just finished Kilika and I got the Jecht Shot.

If you care, there are a few Al Bhed Primers that are missable. Some you can get from a secondary location, but there are about three or four that are permanently gone if you don't nab them.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

middle aged man
Auron's actually 35. I know it's Final Fantasy so anyone in the party who's over 30 is practically a dinosaur but geez. Or maybe he just looks like that because he's actually dead.

I'm still at the Thunder Plains. Is it worth it to go back and get those stupid destruction spheres? Seems like a huge pain in the rear end to backtrack before I get the airship. Are the items you get all that useful?

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 25, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The model definitely reads as middle aged. His hair has gray in it, he's got wrinkles and his skin looks rougher than Tidus or Wakka.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Celery Face posted:

Auron's actually 35. I know it's Final Fantasy so anyone in the party who's over 30 is practically a dinosaur but geez. Or maybe he just looks like that because he's actually dead.

I'm still at the Thunder Plains. Is it worth it to go back and get those stupid destruction spheres? Seems like a huge pain in the rear end to backtrack before I get the airship. Are the items you get all that useful?

They can be useful, being stat spheres and equipment mostly. The one from Besaid I keep equipped for a while, as it's got pretty good magic buffs for the time.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

They can be useful, being stat spheres and equipment mostly. The one from Besaid I keep equipped for a while, as it's got pretty good magic buffs for the time.
I'll go back and get the one from Djose since it's a magic sphere. Screw all the other ones, no way am I going that far on foot.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Are the ffx + x-2 HD editions really the international versions? I've read conflicting reports that they are missing stuff

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Full international version minus the JPN subtitles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Relin posted:

Are the ffx + x-2 HD editions really the international versions? I've read conflicting reports that they are missing stuff

They're the international versions. Anyone who says they are missing stuff is wrong.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah; I just crushed the Voltron Sinspawn in Operation Mi'En and went to bed but Khimari absolutely hits as hard as Wakka and harder than Auron. I'm really good about switching in every dude for every fight and I won the storyline blitzball game and it only felt right giving the Str sphere to Wakka so he is absolutely a monster at this point in the game. I have not done any grinding outside of walking up and down the Mi'En highroad back and forth one time and Special-K is holding his own. I imagine that I'm gonna have to find a set-up of Weapon/Armor/Overdrive mode that constantly fills his drive bar to get the most out of his blue magic.

One thing to remember is that all of Kimahri's Blue Magic runs off Magic, even things like Jump and Thrust Kick. The only exceptions are the utility skills like White Wind, and Self-Destruct.

Still, I can't not make Kimahri physical in my games. He's a blue mountain-lion man with a giant spear, he practically screams physical.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
HD Remake just justified itself in one fell swoop: I can now actually tell what color those loving butterflies are supposed to be.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Celery Face posted:

The point of destruction sphere treasures is not the treasures themselves. It's the fact that you need to get all of them to get a pretty goddamn awesome optional aeon.

If you lock the Besaid and/or Macalania destruction sphere treasures behind strong optional bosses by not getting them as you go, you have to bump off the respective strong optional boss to be able to access the temple again and give the destruction sphere treasures another shot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Celery Face posted:

35 is actually pretty much right on the line of middle-aged, so I'm not sure what you're getting all worked up about.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Vil posted:

The point of destruction sphere treasures is not the treasures themselves. It's the fact that you need to get all of them to get a pretty goddamn awesome optional aeon.
Oh poo poo, that's why I returned to the temples when I first played the game, it was to get Anima. Thanks a lot for reminding me, I'm totally walking all the way to Besaid for those spheres. Anima kicks rear end.

forbidden lesbian posted:

35 is actually pretty much right on the line of middle-aged, so I'm not sure what you're getting all worked up about.
I honestly though he was ten years older but whatever, it's a Final Fantasy game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, by FF standards I should be a loving mega wizard covered in battle scars and angry at the world at the ripe age of 26.

XII was a bit better about it, but seriously Balthier and Ashe looked and acted about a decade older than they were supposed to be.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I remember spending like 8 hours on the loving chocobo races when I was younger before rage-quitting and giving up forever on Tidus' ultimate weapon.

This time I got a perfect 0.0 time on my third attempt.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
In FFX, by the time you're in your mid 30's your home village has been destroyed like 10 times over and you've watched half your friends die to a bloodthirsty space whale. The accelerated maturity trope is probably the most reasonable thing about FFX's story.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

keiran_helcyan posted:

I remember spending like 8 hours on the loving chocobo races when I was younger before rage-quitting and giving up forever on Tidus' ultimate weapon.

The balloon setup is slightly randomized, but there's definitely an element of muscle memory in there that helped you along this time and I'm the same way. They probably also toned it down a little for the remake (or maybe even as far back as the International release on the PS2), that poo poo was terrible in the original.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

Thank God Auron's is a relative cakewalk to get. Just gonna coast through the end-game on the back of my Undead Whale-Slayer.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I think the evil chocobo seeking birds were a little less aggressive than I remember. Or maybe the HD just makes them more visible than they were before.

I always found Yuna to have the easiest to obtain weapon (not too time consuming and no bullshit minigames). Her being able to sling around 1MP Holy spells is pretty drat useful in the endgame.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just got the HD FFX/X-2. Should I bother with the Expert grid, or not? I'm planning on taking Khimari down Rikku's path, then Wakka's, but I'm not sure if it's worth going Expert for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr E posted:

I just got the HD FFX/X-2. Should I bother with the Expert grid, or not? I'm planning on taking Khimari down Rikku's path, then Wakka's, but I'm not sure if it's worth going Expert for that.

The Expert grid is better in pretty much every way, you have a lot more opportunities to take little detours to round out characters' weak points. There's no real reason not to use it, because you can still take everyone down "their" path anyway.