Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I cannot help but suggest a Ubiquiti AP plus a non-wireless router. If they made it legal I would marry my access point (nah, I'd get the one with 5GHZ and marry that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Jago posted:

I cannot help but suggest a Ubiquiti AP plus a non-wireless router. If they made it legal I would marry my access point (nah, I'd get the one with 5GHZ and marry that).

Can you be more specific? I don't mind doing a little more for the setup. Are we talking something like m0n0wall or whatever plus something like a Ubiquiti PicoStation? Or are you suggesting I get a MircoTik setup? What is my cost/overall power usage vs say the N66U or the AC66U?

What hardware should I use for my non-wireless router? Should I get one of those Microtik boards or something more like a Raspberry Pi?

phosdex posted:

Depends on your connection. RT-N16 will handle up to around 120mbps and be completely unresponsive during it. I use mine as just an AP now.

Will I have a similar problem with the N66U or the AC66U. Should I be looking at something else entirely?

I can certainly go the AP plus router as suggested but it would be great to have some help narrowing down the choices a bit. Even the Ubiquiti APs are numerous.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Noxious posted:

What hardware should I use for my non-wireless router? Should I get one of those Microtik boards or something more like a Raspberry Pi?

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite for the wired router and one or more (depending on the area that you need to cover) UniFi APs is a very nice setup. You could also substitute the ERL for a Mikrotik RB750GL or RB2011L if you wanted to go with a Mikrotik.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Noxious posted:

Can you be more specific? I don't mind doing a little more for the setup. Are we talking something like m0n0wall or whatever plus something like a Ubiquiti PicoStation? Or are you suggesting I get a MircoTik setup? What is my cost/overall power usage vs say the N66U or the AC66U?

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#ap
I have a Unifi. Pick the one you want based on price/protocol. The cheapest one has 2.4ghz only and is what I have and love. I don't have a solid recommendation for a non-wifi router, I am just using my lousy modem.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Noxious posted:

Will I have a similar problem with the N66U or the AC66U. Should I be looking at something else entirely?

smallnetbuilder says the AC66U can do 240 with the firewall on.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

SamDabbers posted:

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite for the wired router and one or more (depending on the area that you need to cover) UniFi APs is a very nice setup. You could also substitute the ERL for a Mikrotik RB750GL or RB2011L if you wanted to go with a Mikrotik.

Ok, that actually helps a lot. It looks like I can get the EdgeRouter Lite for about $100 + $65 for the basic Unifi AP. Which is about what I was looking at before. This is starting to make a lot more sense.

One thing I'm not clear on. I have to install software to setup the access point but the router can be provisioned through a web interface?

Noxious fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 23, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can I ask why you run Tomato/OpenWRT when you haven't messed with your router since 2003? Within the past 11 years I'm guessing your network topology has changed and yet you haven't made any changes?

I'm all for the Unifi APs, I run 3 of them at my small workplace, but one of them with a PoE injector + EdgeRouter Lite seems like a serious case of overkill if you just want stability and decent range. The routers you mentioned are all pretty drat solid. Hell even something like a refurbished AEBS is going to get you a guest network for wireless and pretty solid range without making you touch anything.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Noxious posted:

One thing I'm not clear on. I have to install software to setup the access point but the router can be provisioned through a web interface?

You do need to install the management software on a PC in order to configure the access point, and that software presents a web interface running on the PC you install it. There is no web interface running directly on the AP. You don't have to keep the management software running (or the PC on) once you've configured the AP, but it has some nice logging and monitoring features if you do.

The router does have both web and command-line interfaces. Some (advanced) things you'll need to do in the CLI since they're not exposed in the web UI yet.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

sellouts posted:

Can I ask why you run Tomato/OpenWRT when you haven't messed with your router since 2003? Within the past 11 years I'm guessing your network topology has changed and yet you haven't made any changes?

I'm all for the Unifi APs, I run 3 of them at my small workplace, but one of them with a PoE injector + EdgeRouter Lite seems like a serious case of overkill if you just want stability and decent range. The routers you mentioned are all pretty drat solid. Hell even something like a refurbished AEBS is going to get you a guest network for wireless and pretty solid range without making you touch anything.

I make changes to mine all the time, but I can probably still answer this. I bought a WRT54GL for my family's place in ~2008. It's configured to reboot once weekly and to wipe the upnp port forwards on reboot. It's been running without any problems since then. The only change I've made was to remotely add the firewall rule that blocks the 2009-era vulnerability in DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/dd-wrt-httpd-vulnerability-milw0rmcom-report).

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

sellouts posted:

With DHCP I'm not sure what I would need to do. It hands out addresses above 100 leaving tons or room for me to nab some fixed IPs for the printer and the file/web dev server. I bought a Gigbit switch to get better access to my file server but I didn't have to touch the router for that. I've certainly moved a couple of times so I have unplugged and then set up the router in a new place. So sure I've touched it. But I never had to touch it because of some hardware/software failure. As for the wireless side of things it's had the same WPA settings since I set it up and they have worked great. As I said I avoid wireless networking as much as possible. It makes great sense for handhelds, laptops, things like that, but I don't use those very often and when I do I'm mostly by myself so I don't think I'm very taxing on the system.

Should I be making changes to the router when I change my network topology? I will be the first to admit I don't keep up with networking like I used to when I first bought the router.

SamDabbers posted:

You do need to install the management software on a PC in order to configure the access point, and that software presents a web interface running on the PC you install it. There is no web interface running directly on the AP. You don't have to keep the management software running (or the PC on) once you've configured the AP, but it has some nice logging and monitoring features if you do.

The router does have both web and command-line interfaces. Some (advanced) things you'll need to do in the CLI since they're not exposed in the web UI yet.

It's too bad that software can't be run from the Edge Router. I like when systems are self contained.

Noxious fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 24, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Naffer posted:

I make changes to mine all the time, but I can probably still answer this. I bought a WRT54GL for my family's place in ~2008. It's configured to reboot once weekly and to wipe the upnp port forwards on reboot. It's been running without any problems since then. The only change I've made was to remotely add the firewall rule that blocks the 2009-era vulnerability in DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/content/dd-wrt-httpd-vulnerability-milw0rmcom-report).

That makes sense but I feel like any of the top reviewed routers released in the past 3 years don't have any of these sorts of problems for people that want basic networking that just works. Maybe I've just gotten lucky or my needs at home are really simplistic.

Noxious posted:

Should I be making changes to the router when I change my network topology? I will be the first to admit I don't keep up with networking like I used to when I first bought the router.

It's too bad that software can't be run from the Edge Router. I like when systems are self contained.

No you shouldn't and that's kind of my point. Most people don't and it sounds like you're not having any problems. Recommending ubiquiti stuff with your situation is overkill in my opinion. I would get whatever Asus or Apple airport that supports the radios (n or AC) that you want and go to town. You don't need custom firmware anymore to have a reliable set it and forget it device.

And this is coming from someone who uses Ubiquiti stuff. Aside from the other points dealing with PoE injectors without a rack at home and wires in the wall just feels really messy to me.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 24, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Noxious posted:

Yeah, that is a bummer. I'm guessing that they haven't ported the controller software to the EdgeRouter because it uses a MongoDB database and it'd use up a ton of RAM and thrash the flash storage on the router. Lots of people have requested that they make a version to run on the EdgeRouter though.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Yeah, that is a bummer. I'm guessing that they haven't ported the controller software to the EdgeRouter because it uses a MongoDB database and it'd use up a ton of RAM and thrash the flash storage on the router. Lots of people have requested that they make a version to run on the EdgeRouter though.

That, and the controller software itself is written in Java which doesn't help the situation on embedded devices.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You only have to run the application if you want activity logging. I turn on the software every now and again and look in on the guy for a day or two, then leave it alone.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I just ordered a refurbished ASUS RT-AC66R from newegg for just $109.99, which according to my googling is just a best buy renamed ASUS RT-AC66U, one of the best comsumer home AC wifi routers, and it supports tomato. Coupon code is EMCYTZT58863

If I have made a terrible mistake someone please let me know, but it seems like a pretty good deal since it's $169.89 new on Amazon.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

THF13 posted:

I just ordered a refurbished ASUS RT-AC66R from newegg for just $109.99, which according to my googling is just a best buy renamed ASUS RT-AC66U, one of the best comsumer home AC wifi routers, and it supports tomato. Coupon code is EMCYTZT58863

If I have made a terrible mistake someone please let me know, but it seems like a pretty good deal since it's $169.89 new on Amazon.

This seems to check out and I might take advantage of it. On the other hand that Ubiquiti setup seems so awesome. Except for the AP software having to be run on a Mac or PC. The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite seems like a pretty tight little package. Are there other Wifi access points that have a web interface that someone could recommend? It seems like the AirMax Ubiquiti products have something called AirOS that runs from the Access Point. Can anyone weigh in on that?

Noxious fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 25, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Noxious posted:

On the other hand that Ubiquiti setup seems so awesome.
It is.

Noxious posted:

Except for the AP software having to be run on a Mac or PC.
There's also a Linux package, but it's linked in the forum, not the standard download page. I recommend that you sign up for the beta program if you end up going with UniFi APs.

Noxious posted:

The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite seems like a pretty tight little package. Are there other Wifi access points that have a web interface that someone could recommend? It seems like the AirMax Ubiquiti products have something called AirOS that runs from the Access Point. Can anyone weigh in on that?
The ERL is a fantastic bang for the buck and very customizable if you like getting your hands dirty with Linux. AirOS is also Linux-based, and is designed for standalone APs/CPEs. A Bullet with an omni antenna or a PicoStation would work as a standalone AP, but wouldn't perform as well as a UniFi since they're single-chain radios.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

SamDabbers posted:

There's also a Linux package, but it's linked in the forum, not the standard download page. I recommend that you sign up for the beta program if you end up going with UniFi APs.

I am also reading that you can access them over ssh. Does that mean that the software is convenient for managing them but one could conceivably execute everything over ssh? I don't know how flexible the EdgeRouter Lite is but it seems like it might be possible to set up a couple of scrips that could do some pretty basic stuff. Like change your SSID or your WPA password etc.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
I flashed my RT-N66U with Shibby and then later found out about AdvancedTomato which looks neater then the Shibby GUI. Since AdvancedTomato is built on Shibby can I just upgrade within the Shibby GUI or do I have to go through the same procedure as when I flashed from stock to Shibby?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

THF13 posted:

I saw this on SlickDeals as well. It's a good deal, just beware the 90 day warranty and check the return policy. I suggest picking up a square trade warranty and/or using a credit card to protect yourself.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

skipdogg posted:

I saw this on SlickDeals as well. It's a good deal, just beware the 90 day warranty and check the return policy. I suggest picking up a square trade warranty and/or using a credit card to protect yourself.

It goes on sale for this price about once every month or so. I've been thinking about picking one up, but the fact that it has a much lower rating than the new version of the router has given me pause.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

SamDabbers posted:

I like the HP v1910-24G for this. It's web managed and is "layer 2+" which means it can do static IPv4/IPv6 inter-VLAN routing in addition to the usual VLANs, QoS, SNMP, etc. There's also a secret command to unlock the full CLI management interface, basically turning your $250 switch into a $1000 model. HP/H3C uses the same hardware for both models and just software locks the features at the factory.

I know this is from a couple weeks ago, but I've been thinking about getting a new switch for more ports and this sounds like a great way to go. One question, though. Do the things you set via the hidden commands persist across reboots, or do you need to redo them every time there's a power outage or whatever?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

The EdgeRouter POE will power the UniFi APs, right?

Also, anybody know if the mounting brackets are interchangable? Like if I get the standard UAP, I can replace them with the UAP-AC later?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

crm posted:

Also, anybody know if the mounting brackets are interchangable? Like if I get the standard UAP, I can replace them with the UAP-AC later?

The bracket for the older units is round and the AC is rectangular, so no.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

crm posted:

Yes, an EdgeRouter POE will power them directly, you will not need the accessory that comes with the APs to power them. Just make sure you send power to the right ports!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I know this is from a couple weeks ago, but I've been thinking about getting a new switch for more ports and this sounds like a great way to go. One question, though. Do the things you set via the hidden commands persist across reboots, or do you need to redo them every time there's a power outage or whatever?

I don't yet own one, but my understanding is that, yes, changes made via the hidden CLI do persist between reboots and even upgrades. The only caveat I've read about is that there is a second level hidden menu which allows you to change the branding between 3com, HP, and H3C, and if that setting does not match the signature in the ROM (i.e. you change it) then upgrading the firmware will basically brick the switch. So it seems safe as long as you stick to the first (_cmdline-mode on) menu and don't mess with anything in the second (_hidecmd) menu.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Moving soon and obviously switching ISP at the same time. New one will provide a basic cable modem that'll go in bridged mode. Now for the routing part... Asus RT-AC66U? Yes/no/something else?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Depends on what you want from your equipment. I'm a big fan of Apple Airport Extreme's, but they don't have a lot of the 'power user' functionality some folks in here like.

The ASUS or the Netgear Nighthawk are both fine routers.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Guess I'll splurge for the Asus.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

beyonder posted:

Guess I'll splurge for the Asus.

I would agree. The Netgear Nighthawk N7000 is the less spoken of alternative if you want one. I have one that's fantastic but I get the impression both are great

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
I am in need of a new main router i think, about every couple of days i need to reset it to regain internet speed. Main router is a DI-524.

http://imgur.com/1YpwjTr

The other two routers in house both have dhcp disabled, the one on the right is a belkin F9K1001 v1, the one on the left is a linksys wrt160n.

In house are 4 desktops, 2 game consoles, 2 laptops, 2 ipads, and 3 iphones. I need a main router that can support these devices.

What should i do?

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

urzaserra256 posted:

I am in need of a new main router i think, about every couple of days i need to reset it to regain internet speed. Main router is a DI-524.

http://imgur.com/1YpwjTr

The other two routers in house both have dhcp disabled, the one on the right is a belkin F9K1001 v1, the one on the left is a linksys wrt160n.

In house are 4 desktops, 2 game consoles, 2 laptops, 2 ipads, and 3 iphones. I need a main router that can support these devices.

What should i do?

I think people are going to recommend you get a non wireless router like the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and then slowly swap out all of your APs with Unifi.

Although I was talked into getting a Ubiquiti set up for my new place I think I would have been just as happy with the Asus RT-AC66U. There is a link a couple of pages back that you can use to get it for a pretty decent price. I have not used either of these products yet so I'm just summarizing what I was recommended when I asked about a new router.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Mikrotik also has some good wired router options in the same price range as the EdgeRouter Lite, but Mikrotik is notorious for their awful software development practices, poor customer support, and worthless community forums. Even so, their routers have an impressive feature set for the price so as long as you understand that things will break and you'll basically be on your own (though the goons in the Mikrotik thread can help), then the RB750GL and RB2011iL would be decent choices for a SOHO setup if you want something more advanced than a typical consumer router.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So I finally had enough of trying to dick around with that stupid WD N900 Central, and dropped the bones for the RT-AC66U.

Already this thing is better. The menus are delightfully engrish (as with all asus products) but it was easy to set up, firmware update was a snap, and I'm getting amazing coverage.

I'm gonna sacrifice that Western Digital to the gods of tech and tear it apart for the hard drive.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm looking for a router to replace the ISP-supplied one which is performing increasingly badly. According to this:

THF13 posted:

...the Asus RT-AC66U is well spoken of. Does the RT-N66U have a similar reputation?

Also, I'm wading through the ancient OP and trying to work out how much of this advice still stands. Is "get a separate modem" still correct for people on ADSL?

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The RT-N66U flashed to Tomato Shibby has been rock solid for me. And yes, get a separate modem still stands.

Are there any SOHO routers or firmwares that have robust IPv6/DHCPv6-PD support and configuration? My ISP is handing out /60's via DHCPv6-PD, which I can't do anything with in Tomato-Shibby. I would like to get the /60 lease, then assign one /64 each to: the firewalled wired LAN, the DMZ lan, the open wireless network, the closed wireless network, and the VPN client network. Management of subnets & firewall rules would be dynamically assigned: I suppose it would be as subnets 0 thru f for the 16th place hex digit, or 0 thru 4 as described. Or something along those lines. A nice configuration interface would also be real nice.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The RT-N66U flashed to Tomato Shibby has been rock solid for me. And yes, get a separate modem still stands.

Are there any SOHO routers or firmwares that have robust IPv6/DHCPv6-PD support and configuration? My ISP is handing out /60's via DHCPv6-PD, which I can't do anything with in Tomato-Shibby. I would like to get the /60 lease, then assign one /64 each to: the firewalled wired LAN, the DMZ lan, the open wireless network, the closed wireless network, and the VPN client network. Management of subnets & firewall rules would be dynamically assigned: I suppose it would be as subnets 0 thru f for the 16th place hex digit, or 0 thru 4 as described. Or something along those lines. A nice configuration interface would also be real nice.

Mikrotik has a fairly decent DHCPv6-PD implementation, and it's also possible to use the WIDE-DHCPv6 client on OpenWRT, but it doesn't yet support the RT-N66U.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone have experience with TP-Link routers? Looking for something that does at least wireless N and gigabit ethernet, can run OpenWRT well, has solid reliability, and isn't that expensive. I don't need the router to do anything fancy like NAS, downloads, etc. since I have a Synology device for that. Just want something with good range and reliability. Thinking about the TP-Link WDR-4300--anyone have comments on it?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone have experience with TP-Link routers? Looking for something that does at least wireless N and gigabit ethernet, can run OpenWRT well, has solid reliability, and isn't that expensive. I don't need the router to do anything fancy like NAS, downloads, etc. since I have a Synology device for that. Just want something with good range and reliability. Thinking about the TP-Link WDR-4300--anyone have comments on it?

I'm using one of these for my 2.4ghz AP, it seems decent. Can't speak to their full blown routers though.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR...=tp-link+pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
okay, so I got my synology disktstation 1513+ setup for the most part. but for some reason the volume only showing up in Win8.1 under Network and not as a mounted drive.

Do I have to create a shared folder before I can mount it? I was hoping to just assign a drive letter to the whole drive so I could copy everything over via windows explorer or by setting up a file transfer app.

did I miss something really basic in configuration?