Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Warrahooyaargh posted:

Edit: It still seems as if no confirmed debris has been found. Have the Malaysians just decided things have gone far enough and they want to scale down the search effort? It's not a wealthy country and it must be costing a fortune to try and locate the plane.

You don't need confirmed debris nor an ulterior motive to conclude that everyone on that plane is dead and gone if they've been missing for the better part of a month with no trace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

gradenko_2000 posted:

You don't need confirmed debris nor an ulterior motive to conclude that everyone on that plane is dead and gone if they've been missing for the better part of a month with no trace.

Fine. That was already 99.99999999999% clear after contact was lost. It's just completely arbitrary that they're now suddenly cutting it off. You're making this sound like doing it at this particular time and not any other is the epitome of reason.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah, I agree that the way Malaysia did the announcement sucked and the timing seems arbitrary, I was just saying there doesn't have to be a deeper reason for it

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So do we know why the plane was flying off into the southern indian ocean?

Cash and Prizes
May 20, 2007
Tonight, tonight, we'll sing for you tonight.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Mangosteins

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well yeah, I agree that the way Malaysia did the announcement sucked and the timing seems arbitrary, I was just saying there doesn't have to be a deeper reason for it

It's just funny to hear the bumbling government announce this "news" and see it getting treated as such.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

flavor posted:

Fine. That was already 99.99999999999% clear after contact was lost. It's just completely arbitrary that they're now suddenly cutting it off. You're making this sound like doing it at this particular time and not any other is the epitome of reason.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It's been obvious for a while the plane and everyone on it is long gone.

The Malaysian Grand Prix is coming up soon, and I did read somewhere that the families were being moved out of hotel accommodation in Kuala Lumpur ahead of that. The announcement might be an attempt to get them to return home so they're not hanging around during the races and generally being a huge downer.

Warrahooyaargh fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Portals.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If only the plane was Obamacare, then when it crashed and everyone would have known about it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Has anyone ever actually had a mangosteen, because if you get a fresh one they are really loving good

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

pix or it didn't happen

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I don't really like most fruit, but I did eat mangosteen in Bali and found them quite nice.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

bonestructure posted:

pix or it didn't happen

text message disappeared over the indian ocean

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
eh gently caress it dude, let's just tell everyone it crashed in the ocean and go bowling

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Not that any of these Sherlocks have figured it out, but the pilot probably put something in the auto-pilot to make sure it didn't crash into any land just before he passed out.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Fox news: "B b but bad brown people terrorists right?"

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What's everyone so worked up about? So there's a missing plane -- big deal. It'll burn up in our atmosphere and what's ever left will be no bigger than a chihuahua's head.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Warrahooyaargh posted:

In Europe and North America these days, if a plane goes off course and stops talking to ATC it seems like the done thing is to send fighters up to have a look at it, but that didn't happen in this case (unless I've missed something). Don't they do that sort of thing in that part of the world, or was nobody paying attention?

There are a few things to keep in mind.

1. The us has airbases all over the county, and the radar/air tracking facilities are orders of magnitude better than over the middle of the South Pacific/Indian ocean.

2. Fighters are quite restricted in their range, and investigating in most of the search area would mean a one-way trip, even with tanks topped up.

3. The areas it was possibly flying over are not exactly clearly defined airespaces (especially when you get closer to China) so tracking responsibility sometimes gets a little fuzzy.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
I think plane crashes are funny, really. I lol'ed out loud when I heard that all the passengers died!

Infact I'm still laughing

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you can't fly a plane in water! i hope some bozo got fired for that blunder

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rick Rickshaw posted:

CBC is reporting the Chinese have found two objects, while CNN is reporting the Aussies have found two objects.

They're finding each other looking for the objects just watch.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Someone should dump a load of plane parts into the search area in case the plane just needs a spare

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Good news, maybe this thread can vanish over night now.

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
the real tragedy here is that now there wont be an Air Crash Investigations special episode starring Courtney Love and assorted redditors

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

rocket_man38 posted:

Fox news: "B b but bad brown people terrorists right?"

Well yeah they are, but they had nothing to do with the plane disappearing.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tumble posted:

there could still be people alive dont give up you guys.

quote this if u still have hope

I'm holding out hope that the pilots created a solar powered plane and it's still flying around. They're going to land in a few weeks to praise and adulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

PS why don't we have nuclear powered/solar powered planes anyway? We have nuke submarines but nuclear planes would be a lot cleaner and could fly in perpetuity.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
A year from now there will be a History Channel or Discovery Channel expedition to the southern Indian Ocean to find the missing flight.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zogo posted:

PS why don't we have nuclear powered/solar powered planes anyway? We have nuke submarines but nuclear planes would be a lot cleaner and could fly in perpetuity.

It would be too heavy to include the needed shielding to allow humans on board.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its gone guys.

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

Blistex posted:

There are a few things to keep in mind.

1. The us has airbases all over the county, and the radar/air tracking facilities are orders of magnitude better than over the middle of the South Pacific/Indian ocean.

2. Fighters are quite restricted in their range, and investigating in most of the search area would mean a one-way trip, even with tanks topped up.

3. The areas it was possibly flying over are not exactly clearly defined airespaces (especially when you get closer to China) so tracking responsibility sometimes gets a little fuzzy.

Thanks, that makes sense.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Tumble posted:

there could still be people alive dont give up you guys.

quote this if u still have hope

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
it's just a little seaborne its still good its still good

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Where's this new data they have?

This is some a sweeping under the rug bull.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

spasticColon posted:

A year from now there will be a History Channel or Discovery Channel expedition to the southern Indian Ocean to find the missing flight.

No it will be BBC hosted by Richard Hammond.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

spasticColon posted:

Like the history channel would spend money on this.

They'll have alien guy talk for an hour or two and just film a boat in a lake pretending it is the Indian ocean.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm just glad they finally (maybe) found the loving thing. It was like watching someone sight impaired playing the world's most morbid game of "Where's Waldo?"

Plane crashes are horrible and scary and at least now the relatives can get on with grieving.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Elphiem posted:

Where's this new data they have?

This is some a sweeping under the rug bull.

Pretty much the southern path is confirmed after pouring over the satellite data. That's it. No confirmed wreckage, just satellite data.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bolivar posted:

What's a oval office-ry?
:tipshat:
Despite the gendered slur, as it is referring to Arsetralia it is ironically even more apt.

Skipjack posted:

the real tragedy here is that now there wont be an Air Crash Investigations special episode starring Courtney Love and assorted redditors
Agreed.

The idea of Courtney turning her trainwreck into a plane crash is a fantasy I loathe having dashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

That DICK! posted:

you can't fly a plane in water! i hope some bozo got fired for that blunder

:science: Good Lord! That's over 5000 atmospheres of pressure down there!
:fry: How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?
:science: Well, it was built for air travel, so anywhere between zero and one.

• Locked thread