Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I don't believe so, it was probably 70'degrees out yesterday and it had been in the car a bit before I took it out.

Ah, alright. Figures tend to be fragile when cold so that sounded like a good reason why it snapped. Must've truely been a defect then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
"I prefer a good blaster" No Gia, no you don't. You used a claw weapon in Megaforce and when weapon-switching happens in Super Megaforce you always give it up for a second sword.

Also I'm about 90% sure that in the original episode Luka/Marvelous/Joe used Sun Vulcan when they were fighting the MotW alone. Surprised Saban didn't just keep it in since they've shown they clearly don't give a poo poo anymore.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
God drat it was a mistake not to make Gokaiger it's own series.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

God drat it was a mistake not to make Gokaiger it's own series.

Is it Saban's or Nickelodeon's fault that Megaforce is the mess that is?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm willing to say it's 50/50, Saban couldn't use the full cour it usually gets, so it decided to just not try at all

Also, I'm watching Beetleborgs, and it really is a shame they ran out of footage, given how it and Power Rangers both could have crossover or coexisted, and comics are as popular as ever.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm not across it enough to know, but it's such a boneheaded move. Japan gives you this gold-plated gift of a SPACE pirate-themed show with opportunities to do callbacks to classic series, and what do you do? Downplay the pirate theme. I guess kids didn't actually like Pirates of the Caribbean after all.

I mean, you could have some incredible fun with just the image of a huge red flying pirate ship. But nope.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Yeah, definitely mixed responsibility there. Nick's season rules meant that last time around Saban had a major delay in the production and release of the series, widening the Sentai/Power Rangers gap even farther than it had already grown. Added to which, Gokaiger is such a blatant anniversary series in its material that it'd be extremely odd to adapt without some kind of similar celebration going for Power Rangers, so Saban rushed to tie it in, even though they were already adapting Goseiger.

Naturally, the result hasn't been quite what one could hope for.

Probably the biggest problem with Megaforce is that, with the expectation of Super Megaforce to come after, and the desire to try and promise people SOME notion that this would indeed be the big anniversary season and not just another one in Power Rangers' long history, Saban effectively turned the first half into extended filler, with a few occasional standout moments. Even worse is that its generic filler, like Saban took a base template for what a Power Rangers series should be, but forgot to add any tweaks to give it a particular flavour or meaning. Taking away the Super Megaforce half of things, what is the point of Megaforce? What is the theme? Was there even a motif to the powers at all beyond generic animals mystic or otherwise? Any kind of origin to where the abilities came from? Gosei never directly mentions that he created them, if I recall correctly, and he pulls them so fast out of his rear end I wouldn't be surprised if he's just looting one of Zordon's emergency vaults.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Astro Nut posted:

Any kind of origin to where the abilities came from? Gosei never directly mentions that he created them, if I recall correctly, and he pulls them so fast out of his rear end I wouldn't be surprised if he's just looting one of Zordon's emergency vaults.

Something like this will just never work well in a modern show because sentai deals out a new toy every five or six episodes. Power ups are just meaningless and ugly these days and would be even if they were still turning 52 episodes into 35 episodes, as opposed to 26. Anyways I would say that Bandai/Toei (whichever is responsible for the deal with Saban) is partly responsible as well because part of the agreement, supposedly, was being unable to skip any series without their agreement. If they'd just skipped Goseiger and spent 2 years on Gokai most of the pacing problems would have been non-existent. After that they could have done Gobusters, Kyoryuger or even went back and did Goseiger.

Speaking of which, did Saban ever renew its agreement with Nick or is PR moving to their weekend mornings block?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

Something like this will just never work well in a modern show because sentai deals out a new toy every five or six episodes. Power ups are just meaningless and ugly these days and would be even if they were still turning 52 episodes into 35 episodes, as opposed to 26.

Not even just on the new ones ever other episode, I mean in general with the Megaforce powers. They just... exist, even by power rangers standards, and it regularly bugs me.

EDIT: Hell, Super Megaforce has already given more meaning to them retroactively than I think there ever was originally, by implying it might have something to do with each Rangers' spirit animals and whatnot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIZkw0AdoV4

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also I'm about 90% sure that in the original episode Luka/Marvelous/Joe used Sun Vulcan when they were fighting the MotW alone. Surprised Saban didn't just keep it in since they've shown they clearly don't give a poo poo anymore.

As I found out, the reason why they took out Sun Vulcan was because their weird sub-plot of needing weapons doesn't work when Sun Vulcan footage has the rangers kicking the poo poo out of Cosmic Kung-fu no problem.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I find it incredibly silly that they insist on using the Goseiger suits just as a means for them to walk to the monster and then just go straight to Gokaiger mode. For the most part it just looks out of place. They kept Gosei and the same cast, there's no reason to have the Goseiger suits around as another tie to the last season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I find it incredibly silly that they insist on using the Goseiger suits just as a means for them to walk to the monster and then just go straight to Gokaiger mode. For the most part it just looks out of place. They kept Gosei and the same cast, there's no reason to have the Goseiger suits around as another tie to the last season.

Was there any particular reason they decided to make the Gokaiger suits just an alternate mode? It seems to me that it would just be easier for all concerned if they just flat out ditched the Goseiger suits for a brand new set of powers to begin with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Same type of thinking that led to us getting Zyuranger, Dairanger, and a good chunk of Kakuranger all adapted as Mighty Morphin. If you change too much, kids will stop watching!! The fact that Lost Galaxy up to Samurai changed cast, suits, mecha, weapons, etc every single season and did pretty okay seems to have been lost on them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I kinda made sense for Dairanger / Kakuranger, as Power Rangers was a new venture and, hey, who the gently caress knows?

But nowadays? Why loving bother?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sockser posted:

I kinda made sense for Dairanger / Kakuranger, as Power Rangers was a new venture and, hey, who the gently caress knows?

But nowadays? Why loving bother?

Probably because they insist on this two seasons for one adaptation thing with the "Super" bullshit. And because of that they're doing the old style composite series thing again.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So, there's something called Morphin Madness going on where you vote for one of two rangers for sweepstakes entries and coupons for deals on Power Rangers merch.

Only a couple tough choices in the bunch. Zeo 5 VS MMPR Red, for one. I may have lost my PR fan card for voting Doggie Kruger over MMPR White though. :( Sorry, JDF. He's a dog.

I'm super disappointed in the lack of Ninjor.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I assumed it was because Saban was so eager to adapt Gokaiger but had their hands tied by being forced to adapt Goseiger. I think I'm right on that, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed that due to that they just more or less wanted to get Goseiger "out of the way" and that this meant they could start adapting Gokaiger quicker if they just kept the same actors and props from Megaforce.

Speaking of the same actors, Troy hasn't said anything about his search for Robo Knight in a while. This is one thing that genuinely interests me, they're clearly not going the route of Robo Knight being transformed into Silver, so I'm really curious how it's going to resolve. Also means they'll probably shoot some original footage if they try to adapt the all-silver teamup in a future episode since Gosei Knight was in that lineup, fortunately they can just replace him with the Titanium Ranger. :v:

Squallege posted:

I'm super disappointed in the lack of Ninjor.

Ninjor had better be in Super Megaforce with that Dudley Do-Right voice of his or I'm gonna be really disappointed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It was mentioned here that Robo Knight is Barizog.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Tae posted:

It was mentioned here that Robo Knight is Barizog.

Which makes no sense, seeing as how he was apart of the armada that attacked Earth moments after Roboknight disappeared.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

You could say that Ninjor isn't in there because he's a Extra Ranger, but so is the Blue Senturion, and he's in there, so that argument doesn't hold water!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

You could say that Ninjor isn't in there because he's a Extra Ranger, but so is the Blue Senturion, and he's in there, so that argument doesn't hold water!

Maybe its because Blue Senturion was basically the 6th of Turbo and Ninjor was sort of just an ally the rangers had very occasionally that essentiallly vanished partway through the third season.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

JT Smiley posted:

Which makes no sense, seeing as how he was apart of the armada that attacked Earth moments after Roboknight disappeared.

The Armada works very quickly.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Pyroi posted:

The Armada works very quickly.

Well... technically, there were several hours/maybe a day or two offscreen where the Armada basically had a free chance to blow s*** up.

That said, I'm a little uncertain with the notion that Argus would be a brainwashed Robo Knight. I realise its partly due to stock footage limitations, but Argus has yet to have any particular interactions with Troy who, well, kinda has the whole 'find Robo Knight' thing as his story arc right now. It would seem strange to not have at least some setup for that.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I think Robo Knight went to space to get Silver.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

It's a sad/delusional feeling knowing that the most powerful and dream inducing Ranger of them all is going to be played by some blonde yutz with the charisma of to quote SA user "jivjov" "A cardboard cutout of a wet paper bag" But then again, Super Megaforce is making me desire to watch Gokaiger, so I suppose it's good for something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What's really silly is that I realized I would enjoy Megaforce more if they just replaced the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9zTUruqxk

The real soundtrack is beyond generic and they crudely silence it to fit in their extra quips.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Solaris Knight posted:

Super Megaforce is making me desire to watch Gokaiger, so I suppose it's good for something.

Yessss, go watch Gokaiger! Its such a good season, and a shining example of how an anniversary season SHOULD be done.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tae posted:

What's really silly is that I realized I would enjoy Megaforce more if they just replaced the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9zTUruqxk

The real soundtrack is beyond generic and they crudely silence it to fit in their extra quips.

Watching this reminder me of another thing I dislike about Super Mega, but I guess I understand.

I thought it was real badass that Gokaiger didn't have blasters, they just straight up had flintlock pistols that made a boom sound, and then Super Megaforce they just pewpewpew.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sockser posted:

Watching this reminder me of another thing I dislike about Super Mega, but I guess I understand.

I thought it was real badass that Gokaiger didn't have blasters, they just straight up had flintlock pistols that made a boom sound, and then Super Megaforce they just pewpewpew.

Well gotta make those guns into laser blasters or else kids will want to shoot guns at other people or something.

Doesn't make a lick of sense considering you can hurt somebody with a laser too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Gotta turn the Gekiranger knuckledusters into Jungle Fury sunglasses lest kids run around punching one another with these toys! Meanwhile, we're still going to be selling tonfa, nunchaku, and all the other weapons the kids will see their heroes beating jumpy-vampires with."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So will the Phantom Ranger make his appearance or will they just drop him for no reason?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

The Phantom Ranger story arc basically presses my angry about continuity and dropped plotlines button, and the suit's probably way past disintegrated, but in my feverish dreams him and Orion are connected, like older brother or dad or something.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

The Phantom Ranger story arc basically presses my angry about continuity and dropped plotlines button, and the suit's probably way past disintegrated, but in my feverish dreams him and Orion are connected, like older brother or dad or something.

I'm still curious as to how Orion himself will be done since, well, they're basically giving him the exact opposite origin to his sentai counterpart. My bet is on an alien prince or something, if unfortunately with all the opportunities missed to reference the existing worlds in power rangers where humans/humanoids exist.

I mean, imagine if he was one of the Terra Venture colonists returned to Earth and is secretly connected to the lights of orion :tinfoil:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

One of my main scruples with Megaforce is that instead of using the vast mythology of Edenoi, terra Venture, Ko-35, etc, they've mostly been Earth centric to save on budget, I assume

I almost want Saban to tank in ratings so we get a third hail mary balls out season that redeems them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'd love to see the current budget they have for the show compared to whatever budget they had under Disney and/or before Disney.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

One of my main scruples with Megaforce is that instead of using the vast mythology of Edenoi, terra Venture, Ko-35, etc, they've mostly been Earth centric to save on budget, I assume

I almost want Saban to tank in ratings so we get a third hail mary balls out season that redeems them.

If Power Rangers was always in end of contract mode, I would be satisfied.

Edit: Also, third round of Morphin Madness is up and SuperMega Red still hasn't lost, wtf? also, the first Jason/Tommy match has started and it's Zeo Gold vs. the White Ranger.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 25, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
With how In Space and R.P.M. came out and given what they were working with, I hope they're about to get cancelled once it's ToQer's turn. It'll be the sci-fi masterpiece of the decade.

EDIT: Oh god, picking between zeo gold and mmpr white was the hardest thing in the world. Also there's justice in the world because Time Force Pink is still in.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 25, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Xelkelvos posted:

If Power Rangers was always in end of contract mode, I would be satisfied.

Edit: Also, third round of Morphin Madness is up and SuperMega Red still hasn't lost, wtf? also, the first Jason/Tommy match has started and it's Zeo Gold vs. the White Ranger.

I wouldn't doubt that it's rigged so that he can make it to the end.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Jayden and Troy still being in it isn't surprising. Kids are surely voting too and they're going to go for the recent ones that they really know.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh god, picking between zeo gold and mmpr white was the hardest thing in the world.

Uh Jason over Tommy is always the easiest decision in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

That and stock footage issues. Its been a while, so I might be wrong, but I think Gokaiger was one of the 'drat near every fight in tokyo' series.