Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

88h88 posted:

I run 12awg for my PA setup and I'd consider that over the top for home use.

Yeah, I use 12 for big PAs, and smaller audio setups are fine with 18/2 shielded (I've even seen 20/2 used). 10awg is just a general pain in the rear end to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Is there anywhere to buy screen printed cable sheaths from? I think I found the niche to target...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurophonic posted:

Why not? For long cable runs to high power low impedance driver combinations such as subs it's far better to use 6mm soldered into the NLT range of SpeakOn connectors to minimise power loss.

For a residential theatre or sound system, the 10ga stuff stops working with normal banana plugs etc. Plus it can be a pain to run in wall. I used to install rooftop unit style HVAC stuff and wiring 10ga was always lovely. Mine you that was single solid core wire but still.

I use a 3kw amp to drive my theatre subwoofers and I use 12ga runs to the speakon connectors. The voltage drop between 14ga and 10ga in a household distance is so little that I don't even think 12ga is needed other than looking cool (phat cable!)

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Is the high end audio industry growing with rampant increases in wealth inequality or was it hit hard by the recession? I have a friend who is interviewing with a botique gear distributor and I can't decide whether to tell him its a silly industry or to take those suckers all the way to the bank.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ethanfr0me posted:

Is the high end audio industry growing with rampant increases in wealth inequality or was it hit hard by the recession? I have a friend who is interviewing with a botique gear distributor and I can't decide whether to tell him its a silly industry or to take those suckers all the way to the bank.

I thought the growth of the audiophile market was based solely on stubborn ignorant idiots?

Edit: said industry, meant market.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW
All I know about good audio is ATH-M50 and HAM750 headphones. If you have any questions about the two, feel free to ask!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ethanfr0me posted:

There seems to be about the same number of stores around here in SF as 10 years ago but there's also been a lot of money coming into town. One big difference is that they all carry stuff like Sonos and Audioengine which would have been unthinkable a few years ago. It seems like less emphasis on cables/accessories/tweaks as well, just more expensive components and speakers. Weird niche brands like Harbeth and Magico seem to be cropping up more as well.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Is the Sonos stuff audiophile garbage or it ok? My roommate got one of these for free from his company since they sell them. It's pretty neat, but $350 for what is basically an Apple TV that does less seems kind of crazy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eggsovereasy posted:

Is the Sonos stuff audiophile garbage or it ok? My roommate got one of these for free from his company since they sell them. It's pretty neat, but $350 for what is basically an Apple TV that does less seems kind of crazy.

They mostly do whole house audio stuff. Its not really "audiophile" more like "overpriced"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got two Play 1s for my bedroom and they're great. Sonos stuff is not cheap but the setup is miles simpler than any comparable product I've used [I had three generations of Squeezeboxes]. It's the first actual easy streaming system I've ever used.

The Connect is overpriced given that a $200 Play 1 has all the same stuff and a speaker but they know that people who need that functionality will pay more. in fact, sometimes people will distrust things if they're too cheap, Slim Devices made a $2000 "audiophile" Squeezebox and it actually sold OK despite the fact that the $300 already one had bit-perfect output.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Yeah, I have a connect on my big stereo and a Play 1 in my kitchen. It is ridiculously easy to use. I didn't intend to have a set up like this, originally I had a wireless DAC and played from my computer but it was such a pain in the rear end and received a ton of interference. I'm planning on getting a second connect and some active speakers for the bedroom.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ethanfr0me posted:

From what I can gather, the high-end market is shrinking in the US, together with the shrinking of the middle class. It's one of the reasons why prices are skyrocketing, as companies move to target the 1% exclusively. The real growth is in Asia, where newly-minted millionaires and billionaires are looking to spend their money as conspicuously as possible. Exceptionally expensive equipment (the Naim Statement amp comes to mind) are basically built with the idea that they will sell less than 10 total, and all in Asia, but the markup is so insane that it will be profitable for the company.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It doesn't help our cause when standards bodies that should know better post poo poo like this.

quote:

Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/

:suicide:

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
The nouvelle riche in countries like China aren't exactly known for smart purchasing decisions because, from my impression, its entirely for bragging rights.

While working in a consumer electronics store, I could pretty much push anything to the those sort of customers so long I assured them that was the best. Even if it was clearly very cost inefficient.

We're talking about quad SLI desktop systems with an assembly fee inflated by 5x. They didn't even bother to ask about the insane assembly fee or whether or not the desktop was cost efficient, they just asked me the total price so they could hand me the correct amount of $100 bills.

I imagine its the same with audio products. They have a pretty huge boner for expensive vacuum tube amps right now.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 27, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

jeffreyw posted:

The nouvelle riche in countries like China aren't exactly known for smart purchasing decisions because, from my impression, its entirely for bragging rights.

While working in a consumer electronics store, I could pretty much push anything to the those sort of customers so long I assured them that was the best. Even if it was clearly very cost inefficient.

We're talking about quad SLI desktop systems with an assembly fee inflated by 5x. They didn't even bother to ask about the insane assembly fee or whether or not the desktop was cost efficient, they just asked me the total price so they could hand me the correct amount of $100 bills.

I image its the same with audio products. They have a pretty huge boner for vacuum tubes right now.

It's not even localized to one race or income bracket. Consumers want the best but generally don't know enough to know what qualities make "the best" for their application; therefore, they will believe whatever they are told constitutes the best from endorsements of salespeople or celebrities, e.g. Beats by Dre are considered good by consumers because Dre is a producer, therefore a product by him would be a quality desired by producers.

Things start getting out of hand when consumers are armed with incorrect knowledge; a budding audiophile considers Beats and asks some hobbyists if they're good, and is warned away from them because of various reasons. The newcomer will often come away from this experience confused and now tries to resolve his problem with information that is incomplete or wrong -- money = quality, only if obscurity is greater than x.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 27, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

New game: Take :techno: from video games / movies and turn them into audiophile products.

quote:

Ionic polymeric gel myofibrils are woven into the wire strands, increasing the speed at which signals propagate through the medium.

Points are awarded for correctly guessing the game / movie the reference came from. You automatically win if you manage to sell a product based on that description for >$50.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 21, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

KillHour posted:

New game: Take :techno: from video games / movies and turn them into audiophile products.

This Anticrénelage-brand speaker cable is a bargain at $399 per foot! The anti-aliasing it does to my vinyls is incredible, and when I'm done listening I can plug the cable into my computer and mine bitcoins faster!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

When clamped to the frame of most amplifiers, a harmonic balancer dampens the vertical motion produced by current oscillations, resulting in increased tonal accuracy. Each upgrade improves the base accuracy by 10%.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

KillHour posted:

Points are awarded for correctly guessing the game / movie the reference came from. You automatically win if you manage to sell a product based on that description for >$50.

Deus Ex

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I am a member of a local group of audio gear enthusiasts. The conversation is pretty boring but it sometimes gives me access to good deals on used equipment before it hits local classifieds. Anyway, quite a few members are typical audiophiles. One of them just posted this article about how double blind tests don't work for audio.

I figured it's worth reading if you enjoy torturing yourself - http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-news/why-double-blind-testing-cant-work-for-audio.html

tl;dr - Music is so complicated, it can't possibly be scientifically tested!!!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

I am a member of a local group of audio gear enthusiasts. The conversation is pretty boring but it sometimes gives me access to good deals on used equipment before it hits local classifieds. Anyway, quite a few members are typical audiophiles. One of them just posted this article about how double blind tests don't work for audio.

I figured it's worth reading if you enjoy torturing yourself - http://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-news/why-double-blind-testing-cant-work-for-audio.html

tl;dr - Music is so complicated, it can't possibly be scientifically tested!!!

The problem is not that his article is wrong; it's that it completely misses the point. Yes, it's impossible to get two people to agree on something as subjective as "Does A or B sound better?", but that's not what double blind testing is supposed to do. Double blind testing is supposed to help decide which system an individual prefers, and whether that individual can even tell the difference without needing to worry about any bias from brand, price, or other external factors.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A double blind study would actually be if a trained panel would be able to tell two different sound systems (or headphones or whatever) apart with any statistical certainty. And by trained I mean trained like a taste tasting panel is: Accurately being able to explain sensory input.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Double blind testing means the person conducting the test is to be blinded just as well as the test subject.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Terminal Entropy posted:

Double blind testing means the person conducting the test is to be blinded just as well as the test subject.

"I don't know which one I'm giving you and you don't know which one you're getting."

ABX tests can be double blind:

"Here is sample A. New here's B. Here's X; was X either A or B?" where X is contorted by a computer/randomizer, and does not give any differentiating information between A or B.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone explain to me what the advantage of a three way speaker system in in-ear headphones is supposed to be good for? Samsung announced something like this.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Product differentiation?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So just for the sake of it? I'd figure the tiny drivers in in-ears can cover the frequency spectrum just fine?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Combat Pretzel posted:

So just for the sake of it? I'd figure the tiny drivers in in-ears can cover the frequency spectrum just fine?

They can, but in theory you can get slightly better sound reproduction with the three separate drivers. But they're earbuds so I'm not sure how much that impact will really matter.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

It comes from the idea that using multiple drivers tuned for different frequency responses is more effective than a single driver. In a broad sense, think of using a tweeter and a woofer in a cabinet instead of only full-range drivers.

It's really more popular with balanced armatures as BAs have traditionally had a harder time with a wide frequency response than dynamics due to having a much smaller diaphragm. The results have borne out the method to this point - multi-BA setups generally show advantages over single-BA designs.

However, as time goes on BAs are getting better at covering the entire frequency range and dynamics are getting better at reproducing detail.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I was just being snarky. Thanks for the informative posts; my faith in consumer audio products is mildly restored.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Today I was thanked by no less than six people after being forced to speak up at a seminar to point out that a well respected audio industry figure fundamentally misunderstood digital audio. He was trying to A-B test a cheap USB cable against a ridiculously expensive one to show how much warmer and more detailed the expensive one was.

Whilst telling people which was which.

On a PA system, which was purple. The cable was purple too.

By unplugging one and plugging the other in whilst a tune was playing continuously. Of course he was using Fidelia. And a £4000 soundcard. And mentioned skin effect as a potential cause.

On the whole it was good but you could blatantly tell that he drank the audiophile kool aid.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I occasionally browse audio gear photos on flickr and I came across this ridiculous battery powered phono stage:

I am assuming the point is to reduce noise from a transformer, but is there any benefit over just putting the power supply in an external brick like literally every other piece of consumer electronics?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

BANME.sh posted:

I occasionally browse audio gear photos on flickr and I came across this ridiculous battery powered phono stage:

I am assuming the point is to reduce noise from a transformer, but is there any benefit over just putting the power supply in an external brick like literally every other piece of consumer electronics?

Straight linear DC to feed the amp. No possibility of noise or power deviations. No need to worry about power outages?

As to external transformers, I say gently caress manufacturers who use them. I've often find them to be a huge source of rf noise that leaks into analog audio cables and raises the noise floor of my ham radio.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HFX posted:

No need to worry about power outages?

So your phono stage stays up, but all your other gear goes down? Unless those are also full of massive batteries...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unless those are also full of massive batteries...

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding here... What's the point of having a battery powered phono stage if everything else is just going to ruin its alkaline warmth with their mains noise?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe the idea is to run them down, like how guitarists enjoy the sound of some 9V pedals when the battery is starting to go. Lo-fi approach (somehow I doubt it though)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I am assuming that thing costs no less than $1000 (likely much more) I wonder why they didn't go with some kind of rechargeable li-ion battery instead. Sixteen D cells just seems so clumsy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BANME.sh posted:

I am assuming that thing costs no less than $1000 (likely much more) I wonder why they didn't go with some kind of rechargeable li-ion battery instead. Sixteen D cells just seems so clumsy.

You need pure alkaline current! The warmth of the soundstage you can only get from manganese dioxide!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HFX posted:

Straight linear DC to feed the amp. No possibility of noise or power deviations. No need to worry about power outages?

As to external transformers, I say gently caress manufacturers who use them. I've often find them to be a huge source of rf noise that leaks into analog audio cables and raises the noise floor of my ham radio.

Hey hey, ho ho, wall warts have got to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is anyone selling audiophile batteries yet? I mean those aren't even Duracell Procell just the regular scrub ones what the gently caress is that guy thinking?

Duracell Procells are just regular Duracells with different printing. Also cheaper.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 2, 2014