Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
also you can do 'pacaur -Syu' instead of 'pacman -Syu' and it will check the repos for updates, and then it will check the aur for updates and offer them all to you so you don't have to keep track of your aur packages like a scrub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

oval office AND PASTE posted:

arch really hasn't broken itself in a long time (check the front page, all the announcements there are all pretty minor)

the aur is the killer feature for me. dealing with custom repos and PPAs is really terrible. admittedly, the aur isn't perfect, but you have a greater chance of the package not completely disappearing because someone got bored or banned from launchpad

Might I ask what Ubuntu packages you needed to get from PPAs provided by users that have been since banned from Launchpad?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

it compiles as the user and then installs through sudo, it even prompts and asks if you'd like to check the PKGBUILD script for maliciousness. basically, it's 100% like doing it manually.
uhh this sounds an awful lot like checkinstall

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think there should be a differentiation between unsupported packages and unsupported packages that require alteration of the base kernel or whatever. then you should be able to disable unsuported packages with a mouse click.

something i really like about brew on osx is that it all operates on the surface. if you want to get rid of everything homebrew has installed, you delete the /usr/local directory. you should be able to do the same thing with usr/unsupported or whatever

obviously many things would not work this way. but they'd just be an even higher level of unsuported.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the gnome os guys are doing some android-style sandboxing for user-level applications which sounds pretty neat and much better than just running random poo poo off the internet as root to install it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Valeyard posted:

scientific linux 6 comes with installations of texlive from 2007 and it is a 5gb install to update, and it is a pain in the rear end

linux is a pain in the rear end

yeah, every one of the 5000 ctan packages (a couple of kilbytes each typically) getting a package of its own would be too heavy-weight on apt or whatever, and installing ctan packages as its own sort of thing would be too un-~linux~philosophy~, so you are left with just installing every package ever made in a huge blob to get things working

on windows on osx where philosophy is reserved for more interesting existential matters the common tex bundles just download those tiny packages as needed during the builds

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Might I ask what Ubuntu packages you needed to get from PPAs provided by users that have been since banned from Launchpad?

all i know is that i suddenly started getting 404s during apt-get update and because i didn't keep meticulous system maintenance notes about what the repos were being used for, i had no idea what i was missing possible updates on

one i'm positive on was the xbmc ppa that's added to xbmcbuntu (back when it was new) by default, at one point that went missing and everyone had to switch to another ppa. 'stable', lol.

ShadowHawk posted:

uhh this sounds an awful lot like checkinstall

it probably is, i'm sure other distros have their own things that sound a lot like this

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Just want to say Gnome 3 owns, the notifications are still a bit poo poo (maybe fixed now but I still have that use Ubuntu 12.04) but I would rather use Gnome 3 than anything else. Workspaces for each logical thing I'm working on are great.

When it comes to tabs, I actually really like Firefox's infinitely scrolling tab bar because I have a filthy tab habit. The tab group feature that is kinda hidden would be great if it tied back into workspaces - essentially I want to be able to refactor my workspaces by seeing previews of all tabs + windows at once for a certain app and be able to drag those between workspaces.

Obviously that would require the wm to know about application tabs so it will never happen~

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I wish for a way to open a terminal window without going through the activities thing, am I missing something obvious here? (probably)

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Fib posted:

Just want to say Gnome 3 owns, the notifications are still a bit poo poo (maybe fixed now but I still have that use Ubuntu 12.04) but I would rather use Gnome 3 than anything else. Workspaces for each logical thing I'm working on are great.

you have gnome 3.4, notifications got a complete rehaul in 3.6

Fib posted:

When it comes to tabs, I actually really like Firefox's infinitely scrolling tab bar because I have a filthy tab habit. The tab group feature that is kinda hidden would be great if it tied back into workspaces - essentially I want to be able to refactor my workspaces by seeing previews of all tabs + windows at once for a certain app and be able to drag those between workspaces.

Obviously that would require the wm to know about application tabs so it will never happen~

click and drag them out of the browser to create a new window

drag the new window to the workspace where you need it

spend some time organizing and labelling your bookmarks, and then turn off "save my tabs" and suddenly you'll be spawning new browser windows instead of new tabs

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

I wish for a way to open a terminal window without going through the activities thing, am I missing something obvious here? (probably)

ctrl+shift+n

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

suspicious dish, the last time we had a gnome thread i asked why i can't type a few characters, mash the menu key and arrow down to 'new window'

(the menu key gives me the context menu for the input box)

i can do it if i press down arrow, up arrow, menu button so its a focus problem

but its real bad if you typed enough and there's only one search result, you can't arrow back and forth and so you have to grab the mouse and right-click ugg

anyway you said it was a bug and it got fixed but it's not fixed?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

oh duh, totally forgot I could do this

I was just used to having a console icon in the panel while I used gnome2 or typing windows+enter on awesomewm

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

suspicious dish, the last time we had a gnome thread i asked why i can't type a few characters, mash the menu key and arrow down to 'new window'

(the menu key gives me the context menu for the input box)

i can do it if i press down arrow, up arrow, menu button so its a focus problem

but its real bad if you typed enough and there's only one search result, you can't arrow back and forth and so you have to grab the mouse and right-click ugg

anyway you said it was a bug and it got fixed but it's not fixed?

Hm. I don't remember saying this bug got fixed. I've brought it up with the design team before. Really, we're pretending that both have input focus, which doesn't work for the menu key.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

you have gnome 3.4, notifications got a complete rehaul in 3.6

click and drag them out of the browser to create a new window

drag the new window to the workspace where you need it

spend some time organizing and labelling your bookmarks, and then turn off "save my tabs" and suddenly you'll be spawning new browser windows instead of new tabs

I will also say that we're probably going to revamp notifications again in 3.14. There's lots of issues we want to fix, and a redesign has been going on for at least a year.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i didnt follow advice and tried to isntall arch on my usb hdd
it doesnt work

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Awia posted:

i didnt follow advice and tried to isntall arch on my usb hdd
it doesnt work

did you read the documentation? :reject:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i followed the beginners guide
im pretty sure i botched the grub installation because when i choose my hdd as the boot device grub doesnt show up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Awia posted:

i followed the beginners guide
im pretty sure i botched the grub installation because when i choose my hdd as the boot device grub doesnt show up

i wasn't being seriosu i was just being every loving arch forum user ever

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

yeah i know, but i cant help but keep typing
dont follow my example, do not install a linux

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I think you just need to install mkinitcpio, run that and then run grub-mkconfig and grub-install.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

mkinitcpio is run as part of pacstrap afaik, or the file is generated at least

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Awia posted:

mkinitcpio is run as part of pacstrap afaik, or the file is generated at least

Then just take a quick look at the grub page, run grub config and install and it should boot.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

literally did this
my yearly experiement with linux has ended in failure once again

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know what you're doing wrong; you might try re-running mkinitcpio. Also you could always go the Archbang route, which makes the install even easier.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i'll give it a go

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

this is utterly unreadable

what makes you think transparent terminals are bad but this is ok

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's a design mockup from a few years ago, not a screenshot. The actual one has a lot less transparency, and your windows are dimmed while you view notifications.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

yeah i didn't even notice, i just grabbed the first GIS result that looked remotely correct

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hm. I don't remember saying this bug got fixed. I've brought it up with the design team before. Really, we're pretending that both have input focus, which doesn't work for the menu key.

it's a bummer because not everything has a shortcut key for 'new window', and those that do, it's not consistent (terminal's is ctrl+shift+n, but firefox's is ctrl+n). the search function has an opportunity to work as a consistent alternative to the dock if your hands are already on the keyboard

bash super, type 'fire', bash enter, get switched to firefox
bash super, type 'fire', bash menu key, arrow to desired instance or 'new window'

also its clearly wrong because when you hit menu, the search box only revels 'copy' and 'paste'. that might make sense if i had text highlighted, but i don't so agg why

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

arch was unironically the best distro back in 2004ish. it had the same bleeding edge packages that you'd find with gentoo except it was stupidly easy to install, and the community was nice back then

now it's poo poo. rip

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

the community is the worst, even if you've done literally all you can do they will still find a way to poo poo on you and tell you how much you suck for not being able to figure it out yourself

it's like the world's worst fishmeching

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

it's a bummer because not everything has a shortcut key for 'new window', and those that do, it's not consistent (terminal's is ctrl+shift+n, but firefox's is ctrl+n). the search function has an opportunity to work as a consistent alternative to the dock if your hands are already on the keyboard

bash super, type 'fire', bash enter, get switched to firefox
bash super, type 'fire', bash menu key, arrow to desired instance or 'new window'

also its clearly wrong because when you hit menu, the search box only revels 'copy' and 'paste'. that might make sense if i had text highlighted, but i don't so agg why

In the next version you can simply use "Ctrl+Enter" to launch a new window.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

In the next version you can simply use "Ctrl+Enter" to launch a new window.

that's cool, but i guess that means choosing which instance of an application you want is still broken?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the community is the worst, even if you've done literally all you can do they will still find a way to poo poo on you and tell you how much you suck for not being able to figure it out yourself

the centos community is basically the inverse. the people who answer questions are great. the askers are the worst

WHEN IS THE NEW RELEASE OUT?
IS THE RELEASE OUT?
UGH WHY ARE THEY SO SLOW, WHEN IS THE RELEASE OUT?!!!

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

seriously when is that poo poo coming out

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the centos community is basically the inverse. the people who answer questions are great. the askers are the worst

WHEN IS THE NEW RELEASE OUT?
IS THE RELEASE OUT?
UGH WHY ARE THEY SO SLOW, WHEN IS THE RELEASE OUT?!!!

It's a valid question.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a valid question.

it's a valid question for someone, but probably not the community support channels

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
did my first gentoo install today, wanna try stage1 next but wtf everyone in the gentoo community seems to be terrified of explaining how that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

use arch you idiot