Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

big mean giraffe posted:

No, 4k is 4k horizontal resolution (well not exactly but close) vs. 1920. It's 4 times the pixels.

If you're asking me, I'm still loving this TV. Awesome picture quality, really really in depth calibration settings, very light and thin.

Hm, I'll do a bit more research but I'm leaning towards this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
This might be more of a HTPC question?

But what would be the best way to play .mkv files without a computer? Is that possible? I don't care at all about hulu or netflix or roku as I have many large .mkv files but it seems like even the most high end video cards can't output to a resolution higher than would be displayable on a 30" monitor/tv.

What would be my best alternative if I wanted to watch these files on a legitimate teleivsion over 30 inches?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
You can't output 1080 with your computer?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

bull3964 posted:

I'm using one right now, I love it.

You can assign a custom short press and long press function to nearly every button on the simple remote and those can be commands or macros.

So, you can get away with using the simple remote for the vast majority of the things you do with it and then break out the mobile app for any edge cases.

Great, appreciate the vote of confidence. I assume that means you haven't experience any instability issues? I saw a refurbished for $80. Should I consider that or is Logitech refurbs dodgy?

sellouts posted:

I finally got mine working with Plex. It's pretty sweet but the configuration software runs on Silverlight and sucks.

Curious, how does the remote interface with Plex? I have a Chromecast and the new Roku stick is also on order but wouldn't have anticipated this remote having anything to do with Plex.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It uses the receiver built into the Mac mini that powers my plex server and runs plex home theatre on my main television. No pairing or anything.

I will say I've encountered some missed commands in various activities I've built, especially if I haven't used the remote in a while or everything is off but that's likely my fault or my old tv not accepting commands without me programming a delay. It feels like magic having the puck in my tv stand yet it working with all devices and the remote it comes with is slick and compact.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am moving into a new apartment and I want to get a new TV while I am at it so I can stop gaming on my computer monitor. Do I still need to worry about ~input lag~ in this day and age?

Edit: to put it in less flippant terms, would I need to research into input lag for any reasonably current tv?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 24, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes.

Input lag isn't an old issue. It's a current one because Smart features and other fancy things a new TV does can cause it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sellouts posted:

It uses the receiver built into the Mac mini that powers my plex server and runs plex home theatre on my main television. No pairing or anything.

I will say I've encountered some missed commands in various activities I've built, especially if I haven't used the remote in a while or everything is off but that's likely my fault or my old tv not accepting commands without me programming a delay. It feels like magic having the puck in my tv stand yet it working with all devices and the remote it comes with is slick and compact.

Ah, I understand. You have it controlling your Mac Mini which is running Plex. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook a tightly integrated Plex solution as I am in the process of retiring my HTPCs. I'm up to two Chromecasts and that new Roku stick is on its way. Having Plex running on my iMac (shares mounted from my NAS) has proven to be a very very successful way to play local media with minimal fuss.

I ordered the Logitech for $110 on Amazon, can't wait. Think it'll be a great solution but am concerned over where to put the blaster given that none of my stuff is in the media cabinet. Here is a shot of my set up, yes I have some cleaning up to do. If I have a plug in my drop ceiling (improbable, but possible) I'm thinking of setting it up up there and having clear view of everything, otherwise I can't think of a good out of the way place that my small children won't gently caress with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The hub itself is a blaster and it also comes with a (wired) mini blaster.

It has a port for a second too, but only comes with 1 it looks like.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The hub itself is a blaster and it also comes with a (wired) mini blaster.

It has a port for a second too, but only comes with 1 it looks like.

I suppose I will have to play with it a bit to see where I can discretely hide the blasters (I have two extras from another logitech hub that I have in another room that are being unused) and still hit the TV and receiver. Thanks for the info!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have my hub buried in my entertainment center and it still manages to control all my devices without the use of any blasters. It's really powerful. I'm pretty sure if you put that on the bottom shelf it will have no trouble controlling everything, including the TV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Ah, I understand. You have it controlling your Mac Mini which is running Plex. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook a tightly integrated Plex solution as I am in the process of retiring my HTPCs. I'm up to two Chromecasts and that new Roku stick is on its way. Having Plex running on my iMac (shares mounted from my NAS) has proven to be a very very successful way to play local media with minimal fuss.

I ordered the Logitech for $110 on Amazon, can't wait. Think it'll be a great solution but am concerned over where to put the blaster given that none of my stuff is in the media cabinet. Here is a shot of my set up, yes I have some cleaning up to do. If I have a plug in my drop ceiling (improbable, but possible) I'm thinking of setting it up up there and having clear view of everything, otherwise I can't think of a good out of the way place that my small children won't gently caress with it.

I don't know how it can be more tightly integrated than the Mac Mini in the cabinet with the blaster on top. You really don't need a keyboard as long as you set the NAS connection and everything else as startup items.

And yeah, my blaster is in a comparable location to the bottom shelf of your entertainment center. Hits my Soundbar, Mac mini, and Sharp TV easily. It's very powerful.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I've narrowed my choices down to Samsung's 46" EH5000, EH5300, F5000 ,and F5500 models due to price, input lag, and viewing angle (this research prompted me to actually measure the angle in which I play console games: 24 degrees, knocking the Vizios out of my selection). One of my concerns is if I want a smart TV. I have an HTPC I usually use to watch stuff on my TV, and I don't have or really plan to have Netflix or other streaming options. What advantages does a smart TV bring? Also, does model year matter than much when comparing for quality? The EH models are 2012 and the F are 2013 and I'd rather a cheaper 2012 if there is not noticeably worse picture quality.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've narrowed my choices down to Samsung's 46" EH5000, EH5300, F5000 ,and F5500 models due to price, input lag, and viewing angle (this research prompted me to actually measure the angle in which I play console games: 24 degrees, knocking the Vizios out of my selection). One of my concerns is if I want a smart TV. I have an HTPC I usually use to watch stuff on my TV, and I don't have or really plan to have Netflix or other streaming options. What advantages does a smart TV bring? Also, does model year matter than much when comparing for quality? The EH models are 2012 and the F are 2013 and I'd rather a cheaper 2012 if there is not noticeably worse picture quality.

I don't know if it's just the small ones but I game at 30-45° just fine on my vizio.

Smart TVs have poo poo like Netflix built in. If you have an HTPC it's useless IMO.

OlafSkrelnik
Mar 24, 2004
Looking for some bargain TV recommendations. Replacing the 20+ year old family tv and want to get something ~37 inches and preferably under $300 bucks but willing to go slightly over. Now I've read the OP and done a little reading up on the subject but when it comes down to it, I don't really know TVs. All we need it for is watching DVDs, no tv as we don't have cable, and perhaps some streaming content through Chromecast. If anybody could give me some points on what to look for in particular that would be awesome.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I am not being rude, I would like to ask for suggestions on a decent sized TV for gaming, under $1k,preferably around $500

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Avian Pneumonia posted:

But what would be the best way to play .mkv files without a computer? Is that possible? I don't care at all about hulu or netflix or roku as I have many large .mkv files but it seems like even the most high end video cards can't output to a resolution higher than would be displayable on a 30" monitor/tv.

Uhh, even low-end videocards for like $50 or so can play 1080p content just fine. Even integrated graphics these days are very much capable of 1080p MKV playback. That said, a Chromecast + Plex server is hot poo poo right now in terms of getting local content to play on your TV. It's pretty amazing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can someone recommend an indoor OTA antenna? The TV is located in the "middle" of the house so I don't think it's feasible to run an outdoor antenna. Here's our signal strength: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94c8a6ab6021

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 24, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

If I am not being rude, I would like to ask for suggestions on a decent sized TV for gaming, under $1k,preferably around $500

I'm pretty fond of my new Vizio E550i-B2. Not sure what the smaller ones cost, but amazon has them too.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

teagone posted:

Uhh, even low-end videocards for like $50 or so can play 1080p content just fine. Even integrated graphics these days are very much capable of 1080p MKV playback. That said, a Chromecast + Plex server is hot poo poo right now in terms of getting local content to play on your TV. It's pretty amazing.

Yeah I think I was mistaken.

Looks like the best option is just going to be DVI to the tv from the video card.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Yeah I think I was mistaken.

Looks like the best option is just going to be DVI to the tv from the video card.

That wouldn't carry sound. If possible do straight HDMI. Most newer cards have that standard.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
If my TV is connected to my network through Cat5 and I am running XBMC, what's the best way to access and play my videos through that TV? Will I need something like a Roku or will the new TV's play the media files on their own?

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

AzCoug posted:

If my TV is connected to my network through Cat5 and I am running XBMC, what's the best way to access and play my videos through that TV? Will I need something like a Roku or will the new TV's play the media files on their own?

Buy something on here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Supported_hardware

Raspberry Pi would be the cheapest option.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How are current Sony LED sets for input lag and games? I just got the Costco version of the KDL-48W600B but I can't find any information online about it at all. It was that or the 47" Vizio someone posted about a few pages ago and consensus was the new models will be out soon but be better. The Sony is apparently the 2014 model but I can't find any info on it and my google-fu is failing me.

Should I be fine with the Sony? I don't want to get too far into installation and wiring if there is a major issue to understand and I can easily return the TV for another now. Essentially this will be used for movies and games in a small loft area.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
When this house was built about 10+ years ago no one had thought about HDTVs as a thing, so this little area is built specifically for a small SDTV. Once we had a nice HDTV to put up here however, we were unsure how to fix it. The solution we had is not optimal but it's something we've dealt with for a few years. We've been thinking about getting a PS4, but we really want to optimize our experience with our tv first. The problem is it's mounted way too high up, (all our tvs were mounted at about the same height because a friend had mounted a tv over their fireplace much much to high for the distance and size of the tv) but under it is an area that was brought in to house the old SDTV, cut in half so that one part can function as a desk. Since then we have wired the former tv area so that we can use it as a shelving area for our ps3s and cable boxes. What can we do to fix it so that it's more comfortable to watch and looks better?

The head lights above it can and probably will be adjusted, they were there when the house was built. Also the gross yellow is eventually going to be painted a darker color. The shelves were just taken out but the framed area that they/the SDTV was in is not easily removable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

How are current Sony LED sets for input lag and games? I just got the Costco version of the KDL-48W600B but I can't find any information online about it at all. It was that or the 47" Vizio someone posted about a few pages ago and consensus was the new models will be out soon but be better. The Sony is apparently the 2014 model but I can't find any info on it and my google-fu is failing me.

Should I be fine with the Sony? I don't want to get too far into installation and wiring if there is a major issue to understand and I can easily return the TV for another now. Essentially this will be used for movies and games in a small loft area.

Costco (among others) gets special SKUs so that they can't be pricematched. The TV probably has a different official name.

Lag shouldn't be a concern.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

What can we do to fix it so that it's more comfortable to watch and looks better?

The head lights above it can and probably will be adjusted, they were there when the house was built. Also the gross yellow is eventually going to be painted a darker color. The shelves were just taken out but the framed area that they/the SDTV was in is not easily removable.

Swivel arm mount on the wall on the right side of the picture might work? Otherwise the easiest thing to do would just be hang a curtain over the built in and just put a TV stand in front of it.

Is there anything stopping you from knocking out the middle wall between the old SD side and the desk side besides difficulty?
That would be what I do, to be honest, even if it took a bit of work/money.

Honestly, I'd just look at framing over the entire thing, but I also have an irrational hatred of built ins.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Costco (among others) gets special SKUs so that they can't be pricematched. The TV probably has a different official name.

Lag shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks. The model number I posted is the normal Sony one, not the Costco one, and appears to be so new the internet has near zero info.

Viper_3000 posted:

Swivel arm mount on the wall on the right side of the picture might work? Otherwise the easiest thing to do would just be hang a curtain over the built in and just put a TV stand in front of it.

Is there anything stopping you from knocking out the middle wall between the old SD side and the desk side besides difficulty?
That would be what I do, to be honest, even if it took a bit of work/money.

Honestly, I'd just look at framing over the entire thing, but I also have an irrational hatred of built ins.

I had a cubby in my current house, built mid-nineties, and we had shelves out in with cabinet doors to cover and mounted the TV over the fireplace. I agree that a hinge on the right side and turning the cubby into a framed cabinet with doors or other cover would take care of it and look great.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What would be my best alternative if I wanted to watch these files on a legitimate teleivsion over 30 inches?

I recently bought a Dell Venue 11 Pro to handle this. I needed a laptop anyway. Plays my all my 10bit .mkv's over hdmi. I tried miracast, but it sucked.
I imagine the Dell Venue 8 would handle it the same, it's only $200

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm pretty fond of my new Vizio E550i-B2. Not sure what the smaller ones cost, but amazon has them too.

I just bought a E550i-B2 so I'll see how it is, arriving on Wednesday from Amazon. I'm not a real big image quality nerd and I'm not playing games on it, just occasional TV/Movies so I think I'll be happy with it. On that note has anyone bought from Amazon before? I set an appointment during the order process but it says "Action required from customer" and I'm worried I need to do something else for them to confirm the delivery time.

Trisk fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 25, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got a 73" DLP from Amazon. It's a huge fucker, and basically it was a special delivery service and two jacked dudes brought it into my house.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Josh Lyman posted:

Can someone recommend an indoor OTA antenna? The TV is located in the "middle" of the house so I don't think it's feasible to run an outdoor antenna. Here's our signal strength: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94c8a6ab6021

I tried a couple before I realized that height was more important than brand. I eventually had to put mine in my attic on a tall box to get a strong enough signal to stop the stuttering. But since you asked it's similar to this one:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ed=0COoHEKYrMBU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Trisk posted:

I just bought a E550i-B2 so I'll see how it is, arriving on Wednesday from Amazon. I'm not a real big image quality nerd and I'm not playing games on it, just occasional TV/Movies so I think I'll be happy with it. On that note has anyone bought from Amazon before? I set an appointment during the order process but it says "Action required from customer" and I'm worried I need to do something else for them to confirm the delivery time.

I ordered the same one from amazon, CEVA was my local area logistics company that brought it to me, they called me to schedule a time. And you'll definitely love the TV.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was at a bar the other day and it had a TV that was basically 100% screen. There wasn't even room for a logo on the front. I'm not really looking for a new TV, but it looked amazing, and so I'd like to know what to call a TV like that so I can do a little preliminary research. "Frameless" and "Bezel-less" didn't really turn up anything on Amazon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'd just go to Best Buy and see if you can find the same TV so you can see what model it is. Sounds like a Samsung.

matrim1985
Apr 9, 2013

GreenNight posted:

That wouldn't carry sound. If possible do straight HDMI. Most newer cards have that standard.

I have seen digital DVI send sound. It was a DVI to HDMI cable however.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

matrim1985 posted:

I have seen digital DVI send sound. It was a DVI to HDMI cable however.

Was it from a computer video card DVI to HDMI on a TV? Because that's totally different.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
I'm planning on picking up a new TV soon. I've decided that I want to stick with Samsung, and go to about 55" to 60". Gaming will be done on this. I've found this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2PF1E83971&nm_mc=EMC-GD032614&cm_mmc=EMC-GD032614-_-index-_-Item-_-9SIA2PF1E83971

which I can't seem to find any information on though. It doesn't look like it has any Smart TV functionality though. I am considering going with a smart TV. Is there any good models to look for. I wanna keep the price under 1000.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

I_Like_Me posted:

It doesn't look like it has any Smart TV functionality though. I am considering going with a smart TV. Is there any good models to look for. I wanna keep the price under 1000.

Right in the description:

Features
• Smart TV Apps Platform

In my opinion, there are several better ways to get the same functionality, like with a Chromecast or Roku. The Smart functions shouldn't impact the basic function of the set, but I wouldn't make that a part of your criteria.

That also appears to be marketed towards hospitality (i.e. for use in hotel rooms), so I don't know if that would cause headaches or not with its additional hardware security features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The biggest problem with a lot of the SmartTV apps is that they are rarely if ever updated. So if the Netflix app is poo poo, or Netflix changes something, the app might be stuck like that.