Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

kastein posted:

Careful, the 3vz-fe is quite different from the 3vz-e, I don't know if the bellhousing pattern is the same. And the 3vz-e is an awful engine so please don't put it in anything but the scrapmetal dumpster next to the 305s :colbert:

The power of a 4-cylinder with the fuel economy of a V8 :v:

God, what a shitpile the 3vz-e is. Quite literally ZERO redeeming qualities. If it were at least reliable, you could forgive thirsty and underpowered, but that went out the window with the whole headgasket thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Salt is an abomination before the automotive gods, and should be punishable by making the dingleberries that mandate it's use forever drive 20-year-old Northern winter beaters year-round, forever.

I'd much rather have rusted cars than solid sheets of ice for roads for 4 straight months. We had 3 inches of solid ice pack on the residential roads near my house, and that's with salt. It started in November or so and only melted clean last week.

Edit: 135 days below freezing this winter. Took this photo out of my office window in Feb. Salt's not going anywhere.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 25, 2014

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Most people have no loving clue about cars and just go with things like "Honda is reliable!" or, better yet, "Japanese is reliable!" Or they'll say, "I'm buying American" = Big 3, no other thought put into it.

And believe me, when you see automotive companies' purchasing departments squeezing for pennies from every car, it wouldn't surprise you at all. When the choice is between making a car that will last a long time and doesn't benefit the automaker at all in terms of sales numbers or spending a lot more money to make people have to buy a new car less often, which are they going to choose?

It goes in cycles. Manufacturers will work hard on designs, use good materials, work on maintaining QA on a line of vehicles in order to make them successful. Then when the line is a good seller, they get fat and lazy and start cheapening out everywhere. Repeat when their sales get so bad they start caring again.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Salt sucks, but spinning out and breaking bones and/or dying sucks worse. Cars are expendable and if you live where they salt the roads you accept rust and deal with it. The vitriol against salt in this thread is remarkable. You value your stupid $4,000 Miata more than your health/life? That's also why people up north with genuinely nice, unique, or special cars have winter beaters.

I live in the South and actually wish they had salt for the few times a year we get snow and ice. We had an ice storm here earlier this year that shut down the entire northern half of the state and I had to abandon my car and start walking after work that day. If not for the kindness of strangers I was looking at a frigid 3 hour walk home. I'll take having to PB Blaster fasteners over that poo poo any day.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Part of that posting is obviously hyperbole but there are also a lot of times where the road crews drop shitloads of salt everywhere because there is a 10% of a light dusting of snow that won't affect traction. Also, there are many occasions where salt just makes things worse and they should be dropping sand/grit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

two forty posted:

Salt sucks, but spinning out and breaking bones and/or dying sucks worse. Cars are expendable and if you live where they salt the roads you accept rust and deal with it. The vitriol against salt in this thread is remarkable. You value your stupid $4,000 Miata more than your health/life? That's also why people up north with genuinely nice, unique, or special cars have winter beaters.

And yet, there are de-icing agents that are non-toxic and don't destroy chassis.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Wasabi the J posted:

And yet, there are de-icing agents that are non-toxic and don't destroy chassis.

Beet juice and cheese brine? Often used to augment rock salt, not as a replacement. Surprisingly enough its easier to get a ton of rock salt, than a ton of the alternative.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

MrLonghair posted:

From my observations in nothing but salt and sand Sweden I'm willing to say that your Mazda Numeral series have had cheaper manufacturing than ours. Need mid 90's and older to spot any rust at all unless it's a disaster of a model or a reborn wreck, my mothers 20 year old 323 gets jack for cleaning and service but it's fresh compared to the Mazdas posted here.

All Mazdas in Norway get additional rustproofing by the importer, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same is the case in Sweden. Its probably just a layer of bitumen underneath though, so it doesn't explain the rusty badges. I would say that they still have a worse than average reputation for rust here.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Pretty tame, but a contribution to the pile. Here's an RPF1 and tire destroyed by the mean streets of Compton.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Any good wheel-repair shop should be able to salvage that RPF1 without trouble, at least. Tire is a total loss obviously.

I need to post pictures of what my friend managed to do to my stock 850 wheels. Dented them so hard the barrel cracked :stonklol: yet somehow the tires survived.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Or you know, studs and driving for the conditions.

Granted if studs were legalized in most of the lower 48 states our roads would get torn to poo poo, but anywhere they get a persistent snow layer they are amazing. Plows only need to smooth out fresh powder and it's good to go.. no chemicals needed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Granted if studs were legalized in most of the lower 48 states our roads would get torn to poo poo, but anywhere they get a persistent snow layer they are amazing. Plows only need to smooth out fresh powder and it's good to go.. no chemicals needed.

Our roads already get torn to poo poo. Maybe it'd motivate them to actually repair them...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Studs are legal here in the northeast at least (start of November through end of April in most states), but almost no one runs them.

I love them, personally.

I cracked an alloy wheel pretty badly through the barrel in like January, was driving up a somewhat steep, slightly rocky woods road and slid sideways a little, then bounced, caught a rock with my sidewall and wheel. Too bad so sad, that happens sometimes.

Honestly with proper corrosion prevention, salt is no big deal. Problem is, that costs money and no one is willing to foot the bill. I don't intend to let anything I build rust...

If I had a proper shop put together already, winter would mean nothing to me. As it is, it's somewhat of an annoyance, but a lot of fun to drive in, so it kinda evens out.

e: here is the full list - http://www.rma.org/tire-safety/seasonal-driving-tips/2013-studded-snow-tire-regulations-for-passenger-cars/

Apparently VT just allows them year round :lol:

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 25, 2014

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

kastein posted:

People do it, too. As soon as it's warm enough to drive around with your windows down (May) you can hear everyone who's too fuckin' lazy to take them off, chewing up the road all year round.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Turkey Farts posted:

People do it, too. As soon as it's warm enough to drive around with your windows down (May) you can hear everyone who's too fuckin' lazy to take them off, chewing up the road all year round.

Those ruts are super useful. Just came out of the drive-thru and having trouble unwrapping your burger? Let go of the wheel to get that sweet sweet grease into your gullet and the road will keep you headed in the right direction.

They're also a natural defense against ricers, there's a point where you can't lower the car anymore or all your gorgeous primer gray bodywork will file itself off on the hump.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I've though about getting them, but it seems like I really only need them 7-10 days out of the entire winter. The rest would be spent driving 80mph down the perfectly dry highway making a terrible racket and destroying the already lovely roads. I need retractable spikes or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I love that Tennessee permits them (October 1 – April 15) yet Wisconsin doesn't. I know some spots (high elevation) in Tennessee get actual snow and nothing is flat in the Eastern half of the state but it still seems backwards.

I used to do occasional ice racing and picked up a well used set of studded tires. Even being almost shot the extra traction was amazing.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Turkey Farts posted:

Sounds like peeling velcro when they drive by slowly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I love that Tennessee permits them (October 1 – April 15) yet Wisconsin doesn't. I know some spots (high elevation) in Tennessee get actual snow and nothing is flat in the Eastern half of the state but it still seems backwards.

I used to do occasional ice racing and picked up a well used set of studded tires. Even being almost shot the extra traction was amazing.

Many of the north midwestern states don't allow them for a variety of reasons, they gravel/sand the roads instead of salting them, they don't have the money to fix the roads due to the extra wear and tear, etc etc.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NitroSpazzz posted:

At least where I live in WI the cops don't give a poo poo. I've run studded winter tires every year for 7 years now and never had a cop notice/cite me for them when pulling me over for anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if most police didn't even know they were illegal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress everyone who insist on driving on studs all year round.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

xzzy posted:

Studs are legal here in CO. I've seen quite a few folks run them year round (Denver area, so not the mountains. We haven't seen snow in at-least a month). Most of our roads that haven't been resurfaced on the past few years are absolute poo poo, and apparently our DOT doesn't have any money to fix em.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I'll take salt as long as they also plow the drat roads (they don't, or if they do, it doesn't help). I've had 2" of packed ice on my street (plowed by a neighbor, not salted by anyone) and driveway since early January until last week and would have loved chains/studs even if I had to take them off when I got to a main street.

And I love the potholes where you can see down 2 levels of rebar.

On a related note, I am fully expecting this to end up being a horrible weather/planning failure in a few months.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

kastein posted:

I guess that explains the condition of the roads around here.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Brigdh posted:

Beet juice and cheese brine? Often used to augment rock salt, not as a replacement. Surprisingly enough its easier to get a ton of rock salt, than a ton of the alternative.

In parts of the West Coast with snow they will often use ground-up cinder. Acts as a de-icer without changing the water chemistry and doesn't cause rust.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

In parts of the West Coast with snow they will often use ground-up cinder. Acts as a de-icer without changing the water chemistry and doesn't cause rust.

Could you specify how it acts as a de-icer? A quick search on google seems to indicate it is just an abrasive for traction - ie replaces sand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brigdh posted:

Could you specify how it acts as a de-icer? A quick search on google seems to indicate it is just an abrasive for traction - ie replaces sand.

Dark color, absorbs more rays from the sun to warm it up and melt the snow.

It's probably not super effective.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I feel like when I was a kid, they would just throw sand/dirt in the snow, and everyone just drove around on that. Now everything is salted.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Dark color, absorbs more rays from the sun to warm it up and melt the snow.

It's probably not super effective.

Oh, yeah, that sounds like its just a quicker way to melt the dusting of snow as it warms back up the next day.

FogHelmut posted:

I feel like when I was a kid, they would just throw sand/dirt in the snow, and everyone just drove around on that. Now everything is salted.

It turns out average sand (and dirt) actually harms traction (this is what most townships including where I live use). The proper sand that actually helps is expensive and tends to damage paint/windshields. Sand also changes the soil composition in runoff areas, which can be as damaging as salt on the environment. It also typically needs to be cleaned up after the snow melts, which is difficult to find budget for.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Well, I think I know why I have no oil pressure in the Thunderbird.

That's the oil pump shaft. I'd say I have a seized oil pump, whatcha think? Look how many twists the distributor got into the shaft before it finally let go. It's a work of art.

Looking in through the distributor hole I could see the smaller piece laying across the top of the crank. Just perched there like it owned the loving place. If I'd started it without finding it I'd have been in a world of hurt.

You can just see it to the right and below the camshaft gear. It was the most stressful game of Operation I've ever played in my life fetching that out with a magnet. One bump and down it would have gone. I have to drop the pan to do the oil pump anyways but I didn't want to lose sight of that bitch.

Doing the oil pump is a whole 'nother world of hurt. There's a crossmember in the way so I have to lift the engine to drop the pan. I haven't quite worked out how I'll pull that off in my small garage. Car up on stands and use the floor jack to raise the engine until it's clear I suppose. The issue is I'll need to be under it when this occurs. The possibility of 2.5 tons of 50 year old American steel dropping on my face is not pleasant the think about.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Subaru Fuel Filler pipe vs New Hampshire winter.

:commissar:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kill-9 posted:

You really should display that somewhere. It's fantastic looking and you made it with your own car!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

daslog posted:

Subaru Fuel Filler pipe vs New Hampshire winter.

:commissar:

:gonk: stop the bad salt from hurting us daddy!

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I guess that explains the condition of the roads around here.

If as much as Vermont as I am led to believe is hosed up on heroin, do you think they're gonna notice their car even has tires?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kill-9 posted:

That's the oil pump shaft. I'd say I have a seized oil pump, whatcha think? Look how many twists the distributor got into the shaft before it finally let go. It's a work of art.

oh my god. What sort of noise did that make?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Frank Dillinger posted:

Doesn't hurt that A8s are all-aluminium. I'm curious how much more expensive to insure that makes them, seeing as how it's so much harder to fix properly.

I just bought a 2006 A8L (D3) and I'm paying about $100 a month full coverage. Not too bad considering. I'm also over 30 and married so YMMV.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Armacham posted:

oh my god. What sort of noise did that make?

I had no clue it went until I started hearing noise from the rockers that weren't getting oil. No poo poo. I'm hoping I shut it down in time before any real damage set in. I've got to get it running by next weekend. There's an invite only show in town and the Discovery Channel will be filming there. My Bird is one of the <300 cars invited. Should be a blast.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
A little late, but:

Ferremit posted:

Its 10x more fun when you have a front end loader on them, because then you have to fully dismantle and remove the loader before you can split the tractor for somethng as simple as a clutch job...

Not pictured: the loader that was removed before we could even get to the head. And I didn't know tractor engines being part of the frame was standard. I'm a little less pissed at Bobcat and just puzzled at tractor design in general. What's the point? Why not have a frame that the engine mounts to, like every other vehicle and machine out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

I just bought a 2006 A8L (D3) and I'm paying about $100 a month full coverage. Not too bad considering. I'm also over 30 and married so YMMV.

Please post pictures of that?